Thread: Oh the pain...

Oh the pain...

So here's the situation, I got an invite on my lvl 65 Doc to an alien raid last night... Ground raid (with only 1 org member) went pretty much as expected, soldier and agent dispatched the 2 aliens per wave so fast that on most waves zero healing was required.
    Once we got onto the ship it was an entirely different matter...
    Let's just say that the first indication that things were not going to go well was when the team decided to head south between spawns instead of north, needless to say, zero pulling was required since all aliens were directly upon us as soon as they spawned :/
    So I've got a tank saying "Heal me only, I'm tanking" whilst at the same time watching everyone's hp bars dive since everyone had aggro of their own
    So... the choice was... heal only the Enf OR try my hardest to save as much of the team as possible... I chose the latter!

Anyways, as I'm sure you've all worked out the ship did not last long... only 2 people made it out alive and that was cos we ran as soon as the team was reduced to just two of us

It should be noted that the Enf did not mongo once (therefore was not technically tanking, since he wasn't holding aggro)!! If he did he's found a cool new way to hide the floating "mongo" messages from above his head!

It should also be noted that one member of the team did thank me in /tell for doing as well as I did with such a badly organized team

No replies required I guess. No doubt many of you have suffered similar teams and similar Enfs who think it's the Doc's fault that it all went pear shaped.

(A note of his name has been made and I will not be teaming with him again :P)
    Sgtpajeron 220 /30/70 Solitus Soldier
    Drpajeron 220 /30 /70 Solitus Doctor
    Pajitsu 220/30/68 Opifex Martial Artist
    Proud President of L.R.R.P, Omni Atlantean
    1st Soldier named Sgtpajeron to equip a "Xan of Anger" 05/03/09
    Beetelguese has reached enlightenment on Deranged Xan... 1st?
    Pajitsu hit AI30 on Deranged Xan... 1st?
    1st Martial Artist named Pajitsu to equip Kuma Tonfa - Left Hand 28/12/11

been there done that, and I promise you, its not the last enfo you will run into that think just cause he rolled a enf all mobs will only attack him without him doing anything. I've actually heard a endo say "I dont want to use mongo, cause then I get all aggro and die". Go figure.. Just stay in there, sooner or later you meet a enf that knows how he he is supposed to manage aggro

DrDyrego 220/20 Doctor
    Nurfest 220/17 Keeper
    Prototype96 213/7 Bureaucrat
    Illstabya 211/12 Shade

Advisor of Forsaken (RK1 Clan)
    www.forsaken.no

I will stick to the doc related part of the story since I am sure Pajeron that you have enough experience with your toons to know what makes a good team...

I would have chosen the same approach (try to save team instead of 1 enfo who is not mongoing as you say). Anyway, to avoid this situation in the future, I propose:

make an assist macro for the team on the enfo so toons will not attack random aliens
    let the enfo go 1 step ahead and mongo/attack
    heal enfo up and watch the team hps as more team members enter into battle (carefull as zix do not respond to mongo, kill the Ankhari aliens)

Ship aliens can slap aggro in the beggining even if enfo attacks/mongos them so go with the flow.

Always remember also that what matters is the critical response to a toon's hp.
    A toon with 50% hp can fight the same as a toon with 100% hp. Try to heal them when you know they are still getting aggro and their last blobs are in danger (watch their hp bar move/go down). Try to use the team window us much as possible as a doc. A single "wrong" heal to a toon that is at 50% and not taking aggro could mean the death of all team (you are in recharge, the tank is going down fast, hugs reclaim and then aggro goes nuts killing every1 in team)
    Last edited by Alcohool; Mar 17th, 2006 at 14:11:04.

A lil off topic, but isnt the team heals very viable still at that level?

Remember it was quite effective in ToTW, and somewhat in Ely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauurie

Remember it was quite effective in ToTW, and somewhat in Ely.
    I have found them viable at every level, myself. If things are going nuts and I can't decide who needs a heal more than the others, I'll toss out a team heal regardless of the amount of healing it provides. At least then I have a few more seconds to assess the situation, usually. If things are really bad, single heals probably won't save the day anyway.

By the way, some of my best team experiences have been with teams that have a couple of non-enf tanking professions doing the tank work. For example, I can think of AI raids I have done with a shade and a couple of keepers that knew how to distribute aggro amongst themselves. It was far easier to heal 3 people each tanking one or two mobs, than it can sometimes be to heal a swarmed enforcer.

Hehe, the dreaded doctor lockup after a nuke and everyone is hurt and not knowing who have aggro and forgot to check who have hp and who have not

Now I use a team heal perk or a bgh for that.

one thing i've found that helps is tab-ing for zix when i get a second that noone needs healing and dropping a quick ubt on them... never had a "target was unaffected" message, so i'm pretty sure zix have no innate resistance

Standing in the center is great if you have a force that does enough dmg and can handle it, but they need to consider thier limits.

Thats the thing i hate about PUGS(pick up groups), not knowing whether the people you are with are excercising due caution.

I think its mainly down to a twinked out alt mentality, because they are majorly twinked they think they are suddenly playing in god mode and if anythign goes wrong everyone else is obviously a n00b.
    The dilema is that while teaming with people you know and trust is great, you have to take the plunge and try out random teams to get to know these people in the first place.

Atleast these guys didn't act all "uber" after the raid failed and hopefully learnt a thing or two about prudence.
    GlaDos: There was even going to be a party for you. A big party, that all of your friends were invited to. I invited your best friend, 'the Companion Cube'. Of course, he couldn't come, because you murdered him. All your other friends couldn't come either, because you don't have any other friends because of how unlikable you are. It says so right here in your personnel file; 'Unlikable. Liked by no one. A bitter unlikable loner whose passing shall not be mourned.' SHALL NOT BE MOURNED. That's exactly what it says. Very formal. Very official. It also says you were adopted. So that's funny too.

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cheapthrill
    I think its mainly down to a twinked out alt mentality...
    So true, doing aliens at 220, people have hitpoints, tricks and whatnot to survive some aggro.

Doing aliens with twinks at 100 is hazardous. Had some decked out lvl 100 ish chars, and a doc CH-ing couldnt keep my 100 enfo alive while mongoing.

But twinked alt mentality really works when the settings are more controllable, ie rk mish, sl hunting, but a wave from aliens can contain anything, from pushower wave with grey zix to a wave with nukers and red zix

UBT'ing Zix's when I can helps. Pickup teams can suck

Quote Originally Posted by Pajeron
    So... the choice was... heal only the Enf OR try my hardest to save as much of the team as possible... I chose the latter!
    I would have just healed myself and zoned, then put the enf on /ignore
    Steveo 220 Clan NT RK2
    Contagion 220 Clan Doc RK2

Proud wielder of the Pitchfork of Satenia

Team heals work great at pretty much all raids I have been to on my babydoc, that has worked on 160/22 by doing mostly PUG raids, usually peeps have low HPs anyways so the top team heal is enough to heal most of the damage, then patching up the tanker with CH inbetween. BGHs and the team heal perk are nice too for sudden panic situations or during CH recharge.

Bit higher up, L120+ I used A&O couple of times, it's pretty kickass if timed right in the correct situation, pretty sure I've saved a lot of lives using it instead of tossing out a CH. Close Call (Embrace-line perk) is wonderful too, even tho bugged(description speaks of target, error messages speak of target etc etc) so it only works on yourself, excellent self heal when taking slow constant damage (zixes or some stray mob gnawing on you) or sometimes in panic situations.

Had some decked out lvl 100 ish chars, and a doc CH-ing couldnt keep my 100 enfo alive while mongoing.
    Yeah, had a few of those. If the aliens deal out more than 10k damage over 8 secs and you're out of perks, not much to do there except die. Or hope the enf realises to throw himself full def instead of full agg. No, that you attack slow on full def isn't an excuse. (might not be the case, but pretty likely in my experiens)

The enf having less HP than the doc can be quite sad too. PUGs have a lot of wierd people in them Including me.
    Rimor:
    --Janat L220/19. Neutral Doctor, General of Underworld
    ----Lafi TL5 Opishade | Cirno TL5 NT
    --Taiyo L220/28. Omni Doctor, Core

Being doc is like an extended version of tetris
    Your job is to watch red bars sink and distribute red color in a way that none or the red bars completly sink to zero.

I use team-heals to win time of makin a decicion, some red bars drops faster then others so
    If more then one red bar is dropping i can cast a team- heal to observe how the red bars continue to drop, so i am sure which bar needs the next red color brush

Aliens are great for winnowing out the chaff (Especially the ships...)
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper