Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Name Rubi-Ka's Suns Contest

Unhappy Well

Hmmm...Seems that I caught an error. My suggestions werent up there. Maybe the judges didn't see them. See wendel for the blue and hmm what was my name for the red...oh well maybe it should be sometine like Taranis or sometine. Man how did i forget my own entry.
    Me strong!Me crush!

UPDATE: I am waiting on the last judge's input. So far all the other judges have posted their inputs on this thread. I hope that answers everyone's questions. As soon as I get the last input I will tally the results and announce the winner. Thanks for your patience everyone
    Advisor of First Light
    Tradeskill How-To's, Engineer Profession Guides, and Jello Wrestling at The Tir School of Engineering
    Confused by Alien Tech? Check out my Alien Invasion Guides

New to Engineering? Try HighOrbit's Engineer Guide. Thanks HighOrbit

I suggest that if there's a tie, it will be great if we were given a chance to write a more detailed description or explanation of our entries based on the judges' criteria. Basically, a chance to "sell" our entry to the judges
    Joseph "Votary" Zodiac - RK1 Clan Atrox MP
    I can summon pies (now mochams infused!)

"Holy Mocham!" - Votary

ummm

i know i have no chance of winning but how did you like my names...yellow akibur and muton for the blue...i really liked these names
    AO is fun...kill something!

Originally posted by Lyricia
    UPDATE: I am waiting on the last judge's input. So far all the other judges have posted their inputs on this thread. I hope that answers everyone's questions. As soon as I get the last input I will tally the results and announce the winner. Thanks for your patience everyone

Uhhh no it didnt answer ALL questions. How many judges were there? and can they all post their votes on a new post?

Thanks for your patience while reading my questions

Have a good evening...

UPDATE: I still haven't heard from the last judge. I will wait until tonight(Midnight GMT) and if I haven't heard from the final judge I will announce the winner from the inputs I have received so far(which is Animus and Amicus by Votary). Thanks for your patience everyone.

And I would like to thank the judges for putting in all the time it took to go through the flood of entries. Thank you!

Qixaras: If you check back through the thread you'll see that 4 judges(Tarryk,Kithrak,Vixentrox, and Letah) have responded since the final date for entering. Way back in the thread you'll see the fifth and final judge, Catalyste, also responded. Once a winner is selected I will post any background information I have on it(and any runner's up).
    Advisor of First Light
    Tradeskill How-To's, Engineer Profession Guides, and Jello Wrestling at The Tir School of Engineering

We have a winner!!

I've added up the points for each entry and the winner is.......

Votary's entries of Animus and Amicus!!

Here is his reason for picking those names:

Originally posted by Votary
    To pay homage to Earth I used one of the oldest Earth languages to name our suns—Latin.

For the yellow sun

animus
    For its energetic color, I chose "animus." It means courage, vivacity, bravery, will, spirit, soul. Regardless of factions or guilds, these elements can be found and should be cherished and praised. This word has also evolved into the English language and can be used to mean a feeling of ill will or animosity. This is an excellent contrast for our planet's struggle. Amidst all bravery and courage, we have plenty of animosity. Even if one day our struggle ends, we will still have our sun to remind us of the Notum War.

For the blue sun

amicus
    For its serene and peaceful color, I chose "amicus." It is a Latin word that means friend, comrade or harmony between parties. With all the struggle happening on our planet (signified by Animus), what really matters? Your friends and comrade. The true ones will be there for you when you need them. When you are away from them, you can gaze into Amicus and not feel alone.
    I will be contacting you soon Votary to arrange delivery of your prize.

Here are some of the runner ups(also great entries)in no particular order:

Originally posted by Marcoco
    It is evident to me that the stars (the Earth's star is called Sun) should be named according to the primary radio active elements that are burning within their fires.

Yellow Star:
    Actinium - Element 89 in the periodic table.
    This element is of the actinides family it's name comes from the Greek word "ray".

Blue Star:
    Untrioctium - Element 138 in periodic table.
    This element belongs to the superactinide family and was only a theoretical element until it was discovered during the chemical analysis or the blue star.
    The word "Atrox" was derived from the name of this element as this is sound the creature made while attempting to pronounce "Untrioctium". Scientists created the Atrox with a body that naturally absorbs these radio-active rays. It is one of the reasons they are unable to reproduce.
    Originally posted by Eneema

ubique(short for ubiquitous) - yellow sun

the meaning of ubiquitous

ubiquitous • \yoo-BIH-kwuh-tuss\ • adjective
    : existing or being everywhere at the same time: constantly encountered : widespread

vagari(same as vagary but sounds better) - blue sun

the meaning of vagary

vagary • \VAY-guh-ree\ • (noun)
    : an erratic, unpredictable, or extravagant manifestation, action, or notion
    it also means to wander, since "vagary" is probably based on Latin "vagari," which means "to wander."

Originally posted by Nepentheia

Thalia is the Muse of Comedy, who's face can be seen in the northern desert of Aegean as the Mask of Comedy.

Melpomene is the Muse of Tragedy, who's face can be seen in the northwestern desert of Mort (mort, btw, means death) as the Mask of Tragedy.

Thalia, the bright warm yellow sun.

Melpomene, the 'blue' blue sun. .
    Originally posted by Viray
    Gorrath - Yellow Sun
    the Rhinomen god of war, harsh and unforgiving
    Originally posted by Helbourne
    I think most appropriately the yellow sun should be named "Vita" which is Latin for life, and the blue sun should be named "Orcus" which is a kind of archaic representation of death in Latin. Latin would be the PERFECT language to use to name the suns, considering most languages stem from Latin, and all scientific names are in Latin; so I fail to see any better options
    Enough tooting my horn, I'm going to go crawl back into my corner and hide. Good luck to the judges, it looks like you have some entry's to sort through here
    Originally posted by Madgadget

Yellow : Vitae
    Blue : Mortis
    Life and Death, a very real cycle of Rubi-Ka, but one that never ends because of the resurrective capabilities of the planet itself...

The suns rise and fall as we rise and fall.
    Originally posted by Merovee

Yellow Sun - Asurya

could be spelt Ashura as well. Usually depicted as a God of War out of Asian Mythology. Lots of RPG's have borrowed that name, for example, it is a Warrior Cult in Eldar Society in Warhammer 40K, though there they have spelt it differently again. I can't recall exactly. Associated with fire, therefore appropriate for the yellow sun. Also, conflict and fire are a part of life on Rubi-Ka.

Blue Sun - Quan-Yin

one of the few strong female Goddesses in Chinese Mythology. She is the Goddess of Luck, Salvation, Wealth and a range of other qualities. A sort of female buddha but strongly pre-bhuddist in it's essence. I don't know, to me the yellow sun is definitely male and yang and direct. The blue sun is female to me, therefore an appropriate relationship should exist between the two stars.
    Originally posted by Etrigan

Diluculum - Yellow sun ----> Morning Twilight
    Crepusculum - Blue sun -----> Evening Twilight
    Thank you once again everyone that entered. And a big thank you to the judges for helping me out on this. This contest was a great success because of everyone that helped! Thanks ^_^
    Advisor of First Light

Animus and Amicus, I'm going to be confused which is what sun.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Originally posted by Charles
    Animus and Amicus, I'm going to be confused which is what sun.
    Hehe, well Charles, I am not sure what the others selected, but if you want to know our reasons for choosing the ones we did, I will be happy to tell you mine either here or in game. *smiles*

Thank you for letting me participate in this, it was a lot of fun, and I was pleasantly surprised to see all the creativity out there.

BTW The signs around town only showed 10 million as a prize, I wonder if anyone else noticed? *giggles*
    Last edited by Catalyste; May 14th, 2003 at 03:55:22.
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Available for Weddings, Mediations, Treaties, Celebrations, and Hugs...
    Neutrals come join #neutrality on irc.funcom.com! Everyone welcome.
    Counseling available by appointment-Priestess Cathryn Ardman
    Cat's Closet

Favourite Chat Colours: 250 200 250, try it!
    I am an adventurer, of COURSE I like going camping! :P

Thank you for choosing my entries I am very honored to say the least.

As for the names being similar, it's intentional. The suns are like ying and yang, they are like twins, yet they are opposite of each other. They are so similar (spelling), yet so different (meaning/color).

At least they are easy to spell and pronounce And if you know the meaning of the words, there shouldn't be any problem knowing which is which

"Holy Mocham!" - Votary

WTG Votary!

Bliqz! Where is that dinner of the clan winner your gonna make for me?
    Characters on Atlantean
    Main Character: Ardoyt Former Rubi-Ka Citizen and Former Omni-Admin Employee
    Characters on Rimor
    Deleted
    Anarchy Online Related Stuff
    Former AO Stratics News and "The Community Says" Reporter
    The Death of Ardoyt

Congratulations, Votary!

As promised, here is your dinner.
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

MMMMmmm! That is good dinner!
    Characters on Atlantean
    Main Character: Ardoyt Former Rubi-Ka Citizen and Former Omni-Admin Employee
    Characters on Rimor
    Deleted
    Anarchy Online Related Stuff
    Former AO Stratics News and "The Community Says" Reporter
    The Death of Ardoyt

Eww, what a dinner.

I have been on a baking frenzy, anyone want some brownies or cheesecake? I have just given them away, to neighbours and such, it's just something to do
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Available for Weddings, Mediations, Treaties, Celebrations, and Hugs...
    Neutrals come join #neutrality on irc.funcom.com! Everyone welcome.
    Counseling available by appointment-Priestess Cathryn Ardman
    Cat's Closet

Favourite Chat Colours: 250 200 250, try it!
    I am an adventurer, of COURSE I like going camping! :P

mmm...cheesecake......
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Talking cheescake

cheescake please...
    AO is fun...kill something!

Makes me want to eat myself! Serve me up, Bliqz!
    Last edited by Votary; May 15th, 2003 at 08:01:44.

"Holy Mocham!" - Votary

am i the only one who thinks that didnt sound right?

:: looks at votary and shakes her head::

You guys sound as if your all part of one org.... I hope this was a "fair" contest

Originally posted by Spazm
    You guys sound as if your all part of one org.... I hope this was a "fair" contest
    Umm...

Vixen is from Whisper's Edge (Clan)
    Kithrak (Charles) is from Omni-Admin Red Tape (Omni)
    Lyricia is from First Light (Clan)

I myself am from Guild of Meta-Physics (clan). The other judges are from other orgs as well. I don't think fairness was a concern here.

(OOC: Not to mention one of my alts, Keisar, is in Omni-Admin Red Tape and Kithrak (Charles) didn't even consider my entries )

"Holy Mocham!" - Votary

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast