Thread: AO accessing floppy drive when logging in

AO accessing floppy drive when logging in

why is AO all of a sudden trying to access my floppy drive when I log in? It does it about 4 times with about 15 seconds between each try, regardless of if there is a floppy in the drive or not. This makes my login time about 1.5-2 minutes. Since I havent played much in the last 2 months, the only thing that has really changed was the last minor patch.

Angry

Its your computer not AO. My older computer used to do this on games here and there. It has something to do with your computer checking places for needed files while loading like .DLLs or other system files. I cant say what you can do to stop it though.

I had the floppy seek problem not with AO but for another program I installed. Turns out that for some odd reason Office was searching for my install source when I would run this new program. If you can, check the event log on your computer, you might just see a note from your Office (or any related software) installer or perhaps some other clue. In my case, all I had to do was pop in my Office CD, launch that program, let it install whatever it wanted, then the floppy searching went away. Good luck.
    Augustus "Talaria" Daken ~ Retired and deleted level 71 Omni Fixer mule on RK2

Having the same problem

If anyone has insight into why my PC searches my floppy drive for a god 3-5 mins before letting AO start i would be quite appreciative.

The game used to run fine, but this just started recently.

I have done a bit of searching for you and here are soloutions that you can try to solve your problem.

Floppy Drive

Floppy Drive Is Accessed When You Open My Computer

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Navigate to the following registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer

The value of the NoDriveTypeAutoRun entry should be 95 00 00 00, if it is not, continue to step 3.

Double click NoDriveTypeAutoRun.
    Change the Binary Value to 95 00 00 00.
    Click OK.
    Close Registry Editor.
    Restart the computer for the changes to take affect.
    Floppy Disk Drive Is Active When Opening or Saving Files

While you are using your computer, your computer may randomly try to use the floppy disk drive, and this may also occur when you open or save files from various programs.

This behavior can occur if a folder that includes a .pif file that references a program file on a floppy disk drive is opened. For example, if you have a .pif file with a command line "a:\edit.com" in the Windows\Temp folder, your floppy disk drive may be active when you start your computer.

To resolve this issue, change the command line reference in the Properties of the shortcut, or delete the shortcut:

Click Start, point to Find (Search in Windows Millennium (Me)), and then click Files Or Folders.
    In the Named box (Search for files or folders named in Windows Me), type *.lnk, click the location you want to search in the Look In box, and then click Find Now.
    Right-click a shortcut on the list of found files, click Properties, and then click the Program tab.
    Delete any reference to drive A or drive B on the Command box or Working section, and then click OK. For example, if the command line reads a:\edit.com, change the line to read edit.com.
    Repeat steps 3-4, performing these steps on the next shortcut on the list of found files until you have corrected all the shortcuts, and then quit the Find tool.
    This issue most often occurs after the contents of a floppy disk are copied to a folder on your hard disk. This can also occur if a shortcut on your hard disk references a program that is on a floppy disk. Note that this can also occur on other removable media.

Stop Windows 98 from Randomly Searching the Floppy Drive

The following are possible solutions to this problem:

Clear the documents menu.

Clear Unwanted Entries from the Start Menu's Run Command.

Check for any viruses on your system (some users have reported the NEUVILLE virus).
    http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/filters/...013362,00.html

Check HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID in the Registry for any references to OCX's or DLL's referenced on the floppy.

If a reboot and/or the other suggestions does not solve the problem

Right click the my computer icon, properties, device manager, and delete the GENERIC FLOPPY DISK entry (found under Disk drives).

If you're using Norton Navigator

Clear Norton Navigator's Run history (or disable the Run history all together).

If you're noticing this behavior with only a particular applications, you must clear the History List for that application. Download the bug fix from Symantec.

Other programs known to cause this problem

McAfee Antivirus - try disabling the Access & Shutdown options in the Scan Disks On area in the Detection tab
    of the VShield Configuration Manager.

FirstAid '95 - try removing this program or disabling certain features.

Long Filenames for Windows 98 - View Software has a patch that supposedly fixes this problem.

HiJack for Windows 98 - turning off "Enable HiJaak shell extensions" in the HiJack Control Panel.

Konica Picture Show - try removing this program entirely.

Troubleshooting Floppy Drives

Troubleshooting Floppy Disk Drive Problems in Windows

This article lists troubleshooting tips you can use to help resolve problems with floppy disk drives in Windows. If you are having problems with a floppy disk drive (such as receiving the error message "Error reading drive <X>:" or if the status of your floppy disk drive in Device Manager is listed in MS-DOS Compatibility mode), try the troubleshooting tips in the following sections.

Safe Mode
    Start Windows in Safe mode and try to access the floppy disk drive. To start Windows 95 in Safe mode, restart your computer, press the F8 key when you see the "Starting Windows 95" message, and then choose Safe Mode from the Startup menu. To start Windows 98 in Safe mode, restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key after your computer completes the Power On Self Test (POST), and then choose Safe Mode from the Startup menu.

If you can access the floppy disk drive, follow these steps:

Use the right mouse button to click My Computer, then click Properties on the menu that appears.
    Click the Device Manager tab.
    Double-click Floppy Disk Controllers.
    Click the floppy disk controller for the drive you are having problems with, then click Properties.
    In Windows 95, click the Original Configuration (Current) check box to clear it. In Windows 98, click the Disable In This Hardware Profile check box to select it. This disables the Windows protected-mode driver for the floppy disk drive controller.
    Click OK.
    Restart Windows normally.
    If you can access the floppy disk drive successfully after following the above steps, the following conditions may be true:

The floppy disk drive controller may not be supported in protected mode.

There are drivers loading in the Config.sys or AUTOEXEC.BAT file that may be necessary for protected-mode access.

There are drivers loading in the CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT file that may be causing conflicts in Windows and need to be disabled.
    If you still cannot access the floppy disk drive after following steps 1-7, follow these steps:

Use the right mouse button to click My Computer, then click Properties on the menu that appears.
    Click the Device Manager tab.
    Double-click Floppy Disk Controllers.
    Click the floppy disk controller, and then click Remove to remove the controller.
    Click OK.
    In Control Panel, double-click Add New Hardware.
    Click Next, and then click Yes to allow Windows to detect the hardware in your computer.
    When the Add New Hardware Wizard is finished, restart the computer and try to access the floppy disk drive again.
    Redetecting the floppy disk controller should resolve any addressing problems with the controller by detecting the correct address range. If the floppy disk controller is not detected correctly, there may be a problem with the floppy disk controller. If the floppy disk controller is redetected but you still cannot access the floppy disk drive, there may be a problem with the floppy disk.

Damaged Disks
    Use the following steps to check for a damaged disk:

Use a disk utility (such as ScanDisk) to test the disk for damage.

NOTE: Do not use a non-Windows 95 or Windows 98-aware disk utility on DMF disks. Non-Windows 95 or Windows 98-aware disk utilities can damage DMF disks. The Windows ScanDisk tool recognizes and does not damage DMF disks.

Before you run a disk utility, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    ARTICLE-ID: Q120442
    TITLE : Using Hard Disk Utilities with Windows 95

Type the following command at an MS-DOS command prompt

copy <drive>\*.* nul

where <drive> is the floppy disk drive you are having problems with. For example, if you are having problems with drive A, insert a disk you are having problems with in drive A and type the following command:

copy a:\*.* nul

This command copies the files on the disk to a null device. If there is a problem copying the files, error messages appear on the screen.
    CMOS Settings
    Consult your computer's documentation or manufacturer to make sure that your computer's CMOS settings are correct.

Irwin Tape Backup
    Windows 95 Setup removes the following statement from the [386Enh] section of the SYSTEM.INI file:
    device=<path>\VIRWT.386

If you re-install the Irwin Tape Backup software after you install Windows 95, this statement is placed in the SYSTEM.INI file again and can cause conflicts with floppy disk access in Windows.

Device Conflicts
    Device conflicts as reported by Device Manager can cause problems reading from and writing to floppy disks. You can resolve this problem by changing or removing the resources from Device Manager that are causing the conflict. These are typically conflicts with hard drive controller cards, video cards, or COM ports.

Setup Prompts You to Create Startup Disk in Nonexistent Drive A

If you install Windows 98 on a portable computer with no floppy disk drive, you may be prompted to create a Windows 98 Startup disk in nonexistent drive A.

This behavior can occur if the floppy disk controller is not disabled in your computer's basic input/output system (BIOS).

To work around this behavior, use either of the following methods:

Method 1

Disable the floppy disk controller in the computer's BIOS before running Setup. For information about how to do so, refer to the documentation included with your computer or contact the manufacturer.

Method 2
    Disable the floppy disk controller in Device Manager. To do so, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click System, click the Device Manager tab, and then double- click the Floppy Disk Controllers branch to expand it.

Click the floppy disk controller, click Properties, and then click the Disable In This Hardware Profile check box to select it.
    NOTE: If more than one floppy disk controller is listed, repeat this step for each device listed.

Click OK, click Close, and then click Yes if you are prompted to restart your computer.
    Disabling Floppy Disk Controller Causes Hang at Shutdown

If you disable the Standard Floppy Disk Controller device in Device Manager, your computer may stop responding (hang) when you shut it down. The computer may hang while the shutdown screen is being displayed.

To work around this issue, turn the computer off manually after it hangs at the shutdown screen. Doing so should not cause any problems. The Standard Floppy Disk Controller device remains disabled when you restart the computer.

Causes of General Protection Faults and Troubleshooting Tips

Removing Protected-Mode Device Drivers to Isolate Conflicts

1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.

2. On the Device Manager tab, click View Devices By Type.

3. Disable each of the protected-mode device drivers. For example:

a. Double-click the Floppy Disk Controllers branch to expand it.

b. Click Standard Floppy Disk Controller, and then click Properties.

c. On the General tab, click to clear the Original Configuration (Current)
    check box, and then click OK.

NOTE: If you have enabled hardware profiles, there is a check box for each of the configurations. Clear the check box for the hardware profile you are troubleshooting.

d. Repeat steps A through C for each device in Device Manager.

4. Click Close, and then restart the computer.

If you resolve the issue by disabling the protected-mode drivers in Device Manager, you may have a hardware conflict or a driver may be incompatible with your hardware.

Troubleshooting Device Conflicts with Device Manager

( This information was provided by http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/floppy_drive.htm/ )
    Tikon - Forever an MP. Rest in peace my dear old friend.

Remember, Life is a Journey, Not a Destination, So enjoy the ride..

Originally posted by Tikon
    I have done a bit of searching .......
    I think that has to be put forward for the understatment of the week award.

Great work Tikon, I always like to see this board, as people help not just flame, as you just REALLY showed.

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

hehe why fankyou.
    Tikon - Forever an MP. Rest in peace my dear old friend.

Remember, Life is a Journey, Not a Destination, So enjoy the ride..