Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The MP Guide including MP for Beginners Guide.

The MP Guide including MP for Beginners Guide.

The MP guide site has been updated to provide a real site with navigation frame and also to add a site search capability (via google) so that people can search the rather long contents of the guide itself. It will take a little while for the google crawler to index the content on the site, but I'm hoping that this feature will make it easier for you all to find the information you need more quickly.

Since the site is now navigated from a home page, I've separated it from my own private domain and reserved a new domain for the site. You now only need to go to http://www.gameguides.ws/ in order to access the guide now. This should also make it easier to remember where the guide is rather than rely on the extremely long URLs that I used initially.

All in all I hope that these changes will make it a little easier to use and access the guide. Below is a listing of the sections in the guide and the kinds of content that you can expect to find there.

X

Guide Index:

The Meta-Physicist for Beginners Guide
    • Now more focussed on total beginners, this section covers creating your MP, breed choices, pet control, basic IP distribution, basic combat tactics, basic Character Optimisation and backyard information. Everything you need to get your MP started.

The MP Toolset:
    • This section has detailed information and some analysis of MP tools. It covers pets, nanos, perks, perk specials, MP armour, creations, MP weapons etc.

MP IP Choices
    • This section covers everything you need to know about choosing which skills to raise and implant.

MP SL Perk Choices
    • Contains MP perk details and perk special details along with advice on which perks to use and why.

MP Weapon Choices:
    • Finally updated to include the Shadowlands changes, this guide helps you decide when to start using weapons, why to start using weapons, which weapons might fit your playstyle and gives an assessment of each weapon skill along with some pointers to popular MP weapons for those skills. There's also a major section which covers in detail how weapons work in AO.

MP Symbiant Choices:
    • This section covers Symbiants in some detail. The section will also be extended in future to include details of implant conflicts, jobe implants etc.

MP Strategy and Playstyle:
    • Gives information, tips and tricks on how to play your MP well and make full use of your tools. It's focussed on PvM play at present.

Quick Links to other posts of interest in the old MP Guide thread
    ===========================================

Protoculous' Secret Scripts

Tobaras' Any Pet Scripts

Goremonger's QuickStart Guide

Amis' Token Farming 101 for MPs

Covenant's PetNamer Scripting Utilility

DNA's MP Spreadsheet

DNA's Token Farming for level 125 MPs

DNA's Tips on early running Odins/Mocham's

Link to discussion thread on Melee Weapons and the MP

Deacon's Guide to Making Money for new players in the New Arrivals Forum

Shadowlands Related posts in the old Guide thread
    ====================

Chrisax's Soothing Spirits Effects Table

Quick Links to Utilities and Other Sites of interest:
    ===================================

MP Sites

Database Websites and Tools

Third Party Utilities

Map and Skin Upgrades

Miscellaneous

X
    Last edited by XtremTech; Jan 29th, 2006 at 17:30:35.
    Xtremtech: MetaPhysicist currently resident on Test. (209 + 21 AI Levels).

Various other test MPs of differing levels and builds available.

1st and thank you X, again you have created another masterpiece. This will help out countless people. A big THANK YOU to you X.
    Last edited by Trilic; Nov 2nd, 2003 at 19:45:22.
    Currently sniffing the back of your neck.
    Trilic lvl 215 Meta-Physicist Deity
    W
    ..:: Got Mocham? No? Then try The MP Guide. ::..

As per request, the files are now mirrored on ao-meta.net, so if X's server is having a bad day or something you should still be able to pick up the files from there.

I'd also like to send a huge ooober to Xtremtech for the guides he slaves over!
    -Vis

Thanks Visceru,

I'll be taking up Visceru's suggestion to add version numbers to file releases too. I'll probably do it with the post 15.2 release.

X

Smile Very nice

You obviously put a lot of work into this X, its well presented and well written, I was wondering if you had any plans to write an advanced player's article (aimed at the level 200 plus)? Forum of late has had so few high level topics of conversation I have found it a little disheartening, something along the lines of the tactics, play fields and perks would be a most welcome change etc. (no offence intended to the lowbies )

I would never be able to write something like that myself (though I would happily contribute information), so I certainly can’t blame anyone for not wanting to do likewise, I thought I would ask as you do this stuff so well.

The team strategy section covers all levels of playing really with some quite advanced tactics in there... but it's always going to be a very small audience for 200+ stuff - and I'm not even level 200 myself on live yet nevermind 201+.

In general though, if there are threads on the MP forum covering things like very high level tactics I'll absorb any information that goes into that and can eventually write it up. For me it's a lot of work though for a small audience who will usually have a pretty good idea for themselves of how to do stuff... so it's not something I'd put a huge amount of time into.

There's other stuff that needs work first - such as extending the toolset bit to include travel nanos and buffs, extending advanced implant design to include Jobe stuff, extending the Strategy sections to include some PvP maybe and to include solo strategies etc etc... so all in all I'd say your requests would come fairly low on the priority lists.

Sorry about that.

X

OK updated the guide now to include version numbers. Also updated with the new soothing spirits perk specials.

X

To enable better bookmarking of the clickable HTML versions - I've removed the version number information from the html filenames. This means that you can bookmark the HTML pages and be sure of always getting the page up.

The zip files still have the version number information in the filename so that you can easily see which version you have.

X

Post Teh Gear

Items any MP will want to sell their soul for and that new MP players should be aware of the existence of:

NB: Feel free to add to the list and keep it off buffing items. Weapon choices are already well covered in X's guide. Keep in mind to try and target the list at starting/low level Meta-Physicists.

Nanos:

Mezz
    The psychosis pet (mezzpet) can not be found in shops. Since the mezzpet is fixed it is worth getting. The nanocrystal (and instructuion disks) can be obtained as mission rewards. Using Clicksaver.

Lien's Crystalizer and Urns
    Those two will allow you to cast an alternate attack pet in the form of a scythe adept skeleton. Both can be found in the Temple of Three Winds. A walkthrough for ToTW can be found here.
    Although the low level revenant pets aren't that good, having them can't hurt. Anyway ToTW contains a lot of goodies in addition to these two that you will want to go there for.
    The Temple of Three Winds is accessible only to characters ranging from level 20 to 60.

Saemus Crystalizer and urn
    At your level you should know about the place. Walkthrough here.

Evocation
    As above, you should know by the level you'll need them. In case you levelled very fast, the following:
    Evocation of Maddening Wrath.
    Evocation of Pure Malevolence.
    Evocation of the Abomination.

can not be found either in shop or as mission rewards. They only drop off of bosses in dynamic camps scattered throughout Rubi-Ka. The closest the boss is to the nano's QL, the most likely it is to drop it. Be prepared to slaughter lots of bosses though, loot tables contain lots of items.
    Check Nepentheim's map to know where you are most likely to find a dyna boss around the level of the evoc you're dying to get.

Shadowland Nanos
    Composite Teachings can be found in Nascence Gardens.
    Composite Mastery can be found in Elysium Sanctuaries.
    Composite Infuse with Knowledge can be found in Adonis Gardens(?).
    Composite Mocham's Gift can be found in Inferno Gardens(?).Boon of xxx-xxx can be found in Elysium gardens from the nano vendors.
    Channel Notum Vein: <Destination> can be found everywhere more or less
    Shadowland Soul Fetter/Awaken Shadowland Memory can be found in ?
    xxx of Will/xxx of Resolve can be found in ?
    Shadowland attack pets can be bought in Inferno Gardens. They have been reported to drop off Hecklers.

Buffing and useful armors or armor type items

Neleb's Robe is one of the sweetest items you can get early on. It's a lot easier to get if you made the mistake of becoming a slave of Omni-Tek.
    The item requires you to be level 36 to wear and gives an additionnal 8 points to nanoskills.
    A walkthrough for the Steps of Madness, Neleb's home, can be found here.

The Cyborg Armor is an NCU armor. No, it's nowhere near the best armor you can wear at that level AC-wise. Now it will give your NCU an interesting boost, which is particularly interesting if you're a Mocham junky and can't yet equip high QL belts and NCU memories. Besides it's very easy to get a full set of that armor as the dungeon is a lot less camped than Smuggler's Den or the Primus Camp. The armor exists only in a single QL (QL 77), is NODROP (so yes, you need to get it yourself or at least loot the mobs yourself, lazy) and requires you to be level 71 for you to wear it. As said it's not the best there is, but hey, if you don't have money for Carbonum and a big guild to support you don't ignore the NCU it can give you. A walkthrough to the Cyborg Barracks is to be found here.

Buffing Weapons

Pillows can be missioned for. Try to not spend IP on the required skills if possible. This item can only be worn in the left hand and gives a boost to Matter Creation, Matter Metamorphosis and Biological Metamorphosis. The boost varies with the QL of the item.

Robinson Crystals are an MP only item that drops (with a bit of luck) off chests and bosses in team missions. This one is a right-hander. This means it can be dual wielded, say with a pillow in the left hand. As for pillows, don't spend IP to equip if possible. Robinson Crystals boost MatMet, BioMet and Runspeed. The boost depends upon the QL of the item.

Adapted Notum Crystal come in various flavours to boost one nanoskill and other abilities. Those are left hand items that drop off bosses and chests. The boost will increase with the QL.

Pepper Pistol are a quite rare item. They're not impossible to find though but you need either luck or dedication to get them. They don't directly come as weapons but as containers, thus as tradeskill enhanced items. The finished pistol(s) boost BM, MC and MM, the buff varying with the QL of the weapon. You will find the building process of this wonderful weapon by clicking here.
    Pepper Pistols are left hand weapons and use pistol skill (duh?) and as for the others, if pistols are not your weapon of predilection, don't go investing IP in that to equip them.

Old English Trading Co (OET) pistols can be missioned for. They can be equipped in both hands, thus they're a nice addition to a Pepper. Lower quality OET boost Intelligence, higher QL ones have a psychic buff too. Check the databases for the lowest possible QL of the OET with the boost interesting you, as the boost won't change for lots of level although the requirements to equip will dramatically increase.
    Last edited by Wizz; Nov 8th, 2003 at 22:04:12.
    Malusz, Fist of Chronos.
    Raised by the Guild of Meta-Physics.

Hey there,

Just released version 1.01. Links above updated accordingly.

You'll find corrections and extensions in nearly all sections (except Team Strategy and Adv Implant sections). In particular the MP Toolset section was extended to include MP Buffs and the IP Guide was corrected to include the correct (and rather complex) formula for calculating Hitpoints and Nanopool and the new MP Sharp Objects weapons.

Have fun.

X

Updated with a major new 1.02 release.

Lots of additions and corrections in there but in particular the addition of a basic guide to optimising MPs in the Beginner's Guide.

X

Updated with a major new 1.02 release.

Lots of additions and corrections in there but in particular the addition of a basic guide to optimising MPs in the Beginner's Guide.

X

as a starting MP X you have done one hell of a service as have anyone that has contributed points and information to those files and other sources..

Only thing I find I need more help with which Wizz touched upon is the armors. Is there not more of an extensive list of armors that can add to nano skills or nano pools..

Senet,

That begins to delve into an area on which it is difficult to set borders. If I begin to extend the guide to anything that can have a beneficial effect on MP performance, then it just becomes too unfocussed which can be equally hard for both myself and the reader.

Even adding all armours that include nanoskill buffs would massively extend the scope of the guide. It'd include not only Vest and Nelebs Robe etc but also run to Azure, GPH, Nano Cloaks, Omni AF, Omni Special Issue, Cloak Hoods, Sentinel, Flower Guard etc... Then, why stop there? Why not include armours that increase Nanoskills by trickledown? Or Increase NanoC-Init? Or increase HP or Nanopool? etc etc...

You could I suppose say that the items could be included by virtue of buffing an MP skill or even nanoskill by a certain amount. But if you look at Nelebs which buffs nanoskills by +8... well there are a great number of other items, weapons, armour pieces etc that buff nanoskills by that amount.

Then there's all the items that increase MP focussed skills like Keys, Rings, HUD items, Utilities and so on...

Then you begin to touch on items that increase weapons skills too, because nearly all MPs above a certain level use weapons of one type or another. Do I need to include all items that buff 1 Hand Blunt or Melee Init because of the Creations? Or Bow ones because of the MP bows?

Or you could make a case these days for including Tradeskill buffing items for some of the tradeskills that quite a few MPs are now picking up in connection with Pocket Bosses and that it should include details of how pocket bosses are built and where blueprints drop and which bosses drop which symbiants etc etc... All of that information is common to other professions and is covered elsewhere much better and much more accurately than I could ever maintain it.

The guide as it presently stands, focusses on the MP-specific items in the game. This gives a scope that is pretty well defined - both for myself and for the reader. The guide regularly refers the reader to the forums, to the databases and to other sources of info and states clearly that for non-MP specific stuff, the reader will have to look for the information elsewhere. It's really not trying to be everything to all MPs. It's simply trying to cover the MP specific elements of the game and also to point people at the resources for other information, not least of which is the MP Forum itself.

If you yourself really need to pin down which armours and items buff Nanopool - then go to one of the database pages and do a search under Type: Armour, Effect: Nanopool and you'll get all 70 items. Or alternatively, simply ask in the MP Forum for suggestions... that's what the forum is there for after all.

X

Hey all,

The weapons guide is coming close to completion. I wanted to ask everyone who is subscribed to this thread whether they think it's worth my while continuing to publish the guide in the RTF format, or whether it might be OK to go for the HTML format only. Maintaining both isn't too much work but I suspect that the extra choices might just confuse people more in choosing which links to click. If not many people are using the RTF format, then I'll probably remove it.

Let me know.

X

I think just the html is fine, as it seems the most common and easiest. Just my .02 credits
    If ignorance is bliss, please remove the smile from my face

Mysticalwynd (Nocturnal Fear)
    200+ MA
    Nanowynd (Nocturnal Fear)
    100+ MP

OK,

So I've added the all new Choosing Weapons for the MP section now and taken the opportunity to reduce it to just HTML for the individual sections.

Because some of the pages are still very long though, I've kept the Complete Guide zipped versions which are now listed at the end of the listing before the secondary links sections.

Have fun everyone.

X

Added a link to the Misc section of a list of soloing areas in Shadowlands.

X

Good god, 11k+ reads of this topic.. someone obviously thinks there's something worth reading here.

(..or X has released quite a few updates...)

Wow - that is pretty impressive isn't it? Especially when you consider that this thread has only been going since November. I wonder how many viewings the old guide had...

X

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast