Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coldshade's Shade Guide

if you use a turn spirit on an upgraded rapier they become real good

ok cool i will look into that

Wow good work!
    Sweet guide!
    Hey ? ! Where did my signature go. . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldshade
    Breeds

- Opifex. Probably the strongest choice for a shade because our spirits and Tier armor, as well as a lot of our abilities, are based on agility/sense. An opifex shade will have higher evades, be able to get into higher spirits, and be able to upgrade Tier armor faster than shades of other breeds. A ql176 spirit has an agi/sense req of 781, and that's hard to hit for other breeds.

- Solitus. As with most professions, the 2nd best choice. Slightly more robust than the Opi shade, slightly less agile and will have to wait a bit longer for spirits etc.

- Atrox and Nanomage. Non-standard shades, bring the same bonuses to the shade profession as they do any other class. Will have a harder time at higher levels, mainly due to the extreme sense/agi reqs of spirits ql154+.
    Atrox brings quite a bit to shade. Increased Str and Stamina, Body Dev, and overall HP has meant a Much easier time tanking... Right up to Lvl 207. The Original Poster IS correct about the Spirits, as well as Certain pieces of Armor being more difficult for an Atrox to wear, however, by 214+ those differences are negligible.

Atrox shade was my choice for a Test Server Main. He's currently lvl 66, solo'd all the way, equiped with Gimpy weapons, so - so armor, and low level spirits, and still he's done well. I expected his setup would be sub par, and this is the main reason I chose Atrox AND shade. Our ability to survive seems to depend less on our Gear, and more on our inate strengths (such as perks). Atrox only Adds to those strengths, though, there is a time when we are "Stuck" when it comes to Spirit and armor Choices compared to our Brother and Sister Shades of other Breeds (Generally 180 - 200 Something).

All in All, Atrox Shade is becoming less of a
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldshade
    - Atrox and Nanomage. Non-standard shades
    and more of a Common Sighting, for a wide variety of reasons from Survivability, to Armor Choices, to End Game PvP (What there is of it for us Shades).

While I see a great deal of Strength in Atrox Shades, I see Atrox as "Easier" not Better than Opi or Sol. Some Shades Strongly disagree, both on the Easier, And the Better. You won't see the same kind of uproar, or mixed opinion regarding the Nanomage Shade. Let this embroiled disagreement indicate that Opifex, Solitus and Atrox are roughly on a par with one another, and, that if you are one who GENERALLY has a breed preference... then CHOOSE that breed, it WILL affect your playstyle as a shade, perhaps more strongly in this profession than in most others.

Of all the professions I've played, Shade has been the least "Cookie - Cutter" of them all, hard as this may be for some (Fellow Shades included) to see. Yes, Our Weapon Choices can basicaly boil down to Energy Rapier, OR, Energy Rapier, BUT, we CAN survive, And, do very well with other weapons, if need be, you just may lose your spot as "Out damaging the ENTIRE team combined", but then again, it's our perk which has the greatest impact on our makeup, and You decide if you want to be the ultimate DD, an Awesome Tank, A One Hit Farmer, or a Strong Generalist.

(Pain in Tooth Subsiding... Post ending )

know this was posted in january 21 2004 right? its not update with all the new expantions/nerfs. the only bread that isn't comman is nano, thier are some out there even a 220 neo nano shade on rk2 that does quite well in pvp from what i hear. useing full cc and sofc. the main picks atm are opi/trox most popular shades. and sol are right under them. each one is a very good pick and it depends on what lvl your taking them to and what your looking to do with your shade, and you sould pick your breed depending on what you are looking for.!
    Chaoticshade
    ...(220/23) Opifex Shade

Shade Professional
    Wish List
    Bug list

Agreed, Chaotic.

And why is it that the linked "Guides" ARE so woefuly outdated? Does anyone have some modern information which could be helpful to young shades?

i would make one but then i would have to have some1 go over it and spell check it lolz. and also grammer.
    Chaoticshade
    ...(220/23) Opifex Shade

Shade Professional
    Wish List
    Bug list

No way! then it wouldn't be a Chaotic post! (in all seriousness). I find your posts readable despite grammar and spelling. I for one am very bad on both, though, not as bad as some :P Still, we each have a style our own, and there are FAR worse writers out there than you. (shrudders)

My cat likes to walk on the keyboard. When he does, its easier to understand what he wrote, than to follow chaotic, most times. <laffin>
    Slimsobe retired 220 opifex trader General of New Movement
    Oneeyedjim 175 nanomage crat

"You will never understand bureaucracies until you understand that for bureaucrats procedure is everything and outcomes are nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by sobeguy
    My cat likes to walk on the keyboard. When he does, its easier to understand what he wrote, than to follow chaotic, most times. <laffin>
    truth hurts :P
    Chaoticshade
    ...(220/23) Opifex Shade

Shade Professional
    Wish List
    Bug list

As of current I am a lvl 148 shade
    Unfortunatly I am not uberequipped as I would like to be but aftert having read many threads on shade setups, weapons, armor and goodies I am however disapointed that this mentions nothing on the following that have kept me going

The first is Weapons
    where Kyr'Ozch Energy Rapier
    where these are nice lil goodies yet requires cash, good teaming and must have AI
    Nice yes, but nicer I have come to enjoy are
    Kyr'Ozch Energy Rapier - type 992

Granted I am not wearing QL 300 yet, but my 160's doing nice

Also you make no mention of Preditor Armor
    This has been a debate that I have seen many argu over on weather T1 or Pred is better.
    I wear 1 piece of T1 being my gloves for the piercing bonus. I am not too pleased with the overall bonuses of Tier armor. They are nice, but I have found that T1 vrs PREd, pred is better for the evades.
    Also is "Combined Mercs"
    another AI req. But, the piercing perks are nice to have, though the cost is a lot.

I mention these as I use when/where I can, and yet saw no mention of them. I am not sure if your guide is strict to RK and SL. But, these are some NICE AI toys you can include for your guide.

You're right, those are great weapons/armors. They didn't exist when the guide was written (pre-AI) so that why they aren't mentioned.
    Slimsobe retired 220 opifex trader General of New Movement
    Oneeyedjim 175 nanomage crat

"You will never understand bureaucracies until you understand that for bureaucrats procedure is everything and outcomes are nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Vlaniceshade
    As of current I am a lvl 148 shade
    Unfortunatly I am not uberequipped as I would like to be but aftert having read many threads on shade setups, weapons, armor and goodies I am however disapointed that this mentions nothing on the following that have kept me going

The first is Weapons
    where Kyr'Ozch Energy Rapier
    where these are nice lil goodies yet requires cash, good teaming and must have AI
    Nice yes, but nicer I have come to enjoy are
    Kyr'Ozch Energy Rapier - type 992

Granted I am not wearing QL 300 yet, but my 160's doing nice

Also you make no mention of Preditor Armor
    This has been a debate that I have seen many argu over on weather T1 or Pred is better.
    I wear 1 piece of T1 being my gloves for the piercing bonus. I am not too pleased with the overall bonuses of Tier armor. They are nice, but I have found that T1 vrs PREd, pred is better for the evades.
    Also is "Combined Mercs"
    another AI req. But, the piercing perks are nice to have, though the cost is a lot.

I mention these as I use when/where I can, and yet saw no mention of them. I am not sure if your guide is strict to RK and SL. But, these are some NICE AI toys you can include for your guide.
    I prefered pred (except t1 gloves) all the way till my shade fit into strong/cm, since it does not only give u evades, it also adds a nice amount of bodydev :-)

Guide is old, careful from what you take from it.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123