Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What's up with the level requirements on nanos???

Ok, while I do not support this in full, there is a very good reason for level restrictions, everyone always just looks at the bad not the good. Lets say funcom, doesnt want fixers casting a certain nano till after lvl 100, because the nano may be to benefinical (it is possible for a buff/nano to be TOO good, look at mochams at lvl 120ish for MP's, at lvl 142 I can cast every nano as a atrox MP) They have 2 options they can take:

1) Make the req's high enough that only someone lvl 100 can use it, ith buffs and imps

Result: *****ing, "Waa Waa my skills are blue, I can't cast this w/o dumping alot into my blue skills, waa waa fix me"

2.) Lower the Req, but put a level restriction on it.

Result: *****ing "Waa Waa this is a skill based game, I dont want level restrictions"

Summary: In my opinion level restrictions on some items and nanos are good, MK II for example, it feels good to finally get 146 so you can wear it. And mochams in my opinion should have a lvl restriction too, no reason to be SELF casting all nanos at 130ish. So you need to start looking at the good and the bad. Don't just ***** cause you don't like the way something looks (like advents, whining that Pit Lizard gave all these +stats, but they couldnt fight in it, then funcom takes away flying so you can fight, and they complain, omg I can't fly, jeez, I'm sorry a person that can fly and fight would UTTERLY un-balance the game, be happy you can fight now, if you want to ask for something, ask for another dragon nano that flys but doenst add stats)

Ok thats my rant for now

Toktok - 182 Enf (lost 17mil last night =/)
    Oxide005 - 142 MP

oXiDe, u're one of the few people who agree with me and managed to see the purposes of adding such reqs.

I just wish more AO players can take such things calmly and trying to view things from the developer's perspective.... then to lash out in an instinctive defensive reaction.

I tried to explain all this in an ADV forum thread but most don't agree. Sigh.

Originally posted by oXiDe
    (like advents, whining that Pit Lizard gave all these +stats, but they couldnt fight in it, then funcom takes away flying so you can fight, and they complain, omg I can't fly, jeez, I'm sorry a person that can fly and fight would UTTERLY un-balance the game, be happy you can fight now, if you want to ask for something, ask for another dragon nano that flys but doenst add stats)
    Dude, get your facts straight be fore you start *****ing. No one asked for being able to fly&fight, we want to be able to land with Pit Lizard (go into "ground-mode") and then fight. No shooting from above, no nuking from the air. There could be a timer for take-off or a requirement like "not in a fight". Ok, this is off-topic.

As for the level-restrictions... They put level-restriction on every nano in this patch. There wasn't any thinking behind it. They didn't calculate anything in the name of balance. leet charms got level-restrictions for gods sake, how on earth could it be a balance issue if I can charm a soleet at lvl 120 instead of lvl145? Why have Eniges all along had +120 pistol (non lvl-restricted) nano that also Agents can cast on anyone but Advents who have an affinity towards pistols shouldn't be able to cast their self-only +100 pistol until lvl 195?

Funcom seems to have made a policy/strategy change on the skill/level system without going public with it. They are switching to level-based. It's as easy as that. If my fears are correct I want an explanation from them and I want level restrictions on every nano in the game, not only for the new ones that just happened to come after this decision. Then I'm going to re-evaluate if I'm going to continue playing this game that was supposed to be skill based.

Well as a dual wielding enforcer, I would like to be able to either hit with both of my sticks at the same time, or target a seperate target with each stick, would be nice. But game mechanics wont allow it, its something you deal with. Game mechanics wont allow a flying and walking polymorph, there is no poly in the game, that doesnt have some time in casting, and if you could just fly, then land and fight, its only obvious you would be able to take off again, and fly out of range of attacks, so you would still be unbalancing, and if you ask to be able to do all of this, but just not be able to take off while fighting, that again takes far to much change in the game to make it possible at this time. So like every other class/item/spell in the game, you have a choice its either fly or fight, and with the bonus' dragon adds, I think its a good choice to have him be able to fight, either way its them trying to fix you, but you complain, if you want to complain fine, but do it about other aspects of your character, not the fact that dragon form (utterly useless atm, besides a show), is be comming useful. And I'm sure there was ALOT of discussion about putting the level restrictions on nanos, things like that don't just happen, and personally I don't think im off base with the reason i think they did it, its not like they decided, hey lets change this to a level based game to piss off our customers, come on now.

Well looking forward to getting flamed alot.

Toktok - 182 ENF
    Oxide005 - 142 MP

Angry

Lvl requirement sucks!
    Boss loot only on profession defining nanos sucks!
    Bloody buggs with IP reset sucks!
    Missions placement and MOB differculty (what you get at a setting) sucks!
    Camping sucks!
    Little content sucks!

/me crawl back beneath my bridge grumbling.

/shout Yeah, I had a bad IP reset yesterday, so I´m not a happy camper.
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.

there was a thread started on the Adv boards about this very subject....

i think lvl reqs on nanos are totally rediculous, wtf...
    Ouzzelle: It's an O damnit! not a Q!... and it's pronounced Weasel to you omnis.....

Clanners call me Ozzy

Duffer1: SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!
    Riddance Jr.: Is it dead?

Originally posted by oXiDe
    Well as a dual wielding enforcer, I would like to be able to either hit with both of my sticks at the same time, or target a seperate target with each stick, would be nice. But game mechanics wont allow it, its something you deal with. Game mechanics wont allow a flying and walking polymorph, there is no poly in the game, that doesnt have some time in casting, and if you could just fly, then land and fight, its only obvious you would be able to take off again, and fly out of range of attacks, so you would still be unbalancing, and if you ask to be able to do all of this, but just not be able to take off while fighting, that again takes far to much change in the game to make it possible at this time. So like every other class/item/spell in the game, you have a choice its either fly or fight, and with the bonus' dragon adds, I think its a good choice to have him be able to fight, either way its them trying to fix you, but you complain, if you want to complain fine, but do it about other aspects of your character, not the fact that dragon form (utterly useless atm, besides a show), is be comming useful. And I'm sure there was ALOT of discussion about putting the level restrictions on nanos, things like that don't just happen, and personally I don't think im off base with the reason i think they did it, its not like they decided, hey lets change this to a level based game to piss off our customers, come on now.
    Well, you're wrong again. I can fight in Pit Lizard form today. All I do is sit down while casting it and I get ground/fight mode. Not sitting down while casting gives flight-no fight. You're making an awful lot of assumption also such as if I could land quickly I could take off quickly. I suggested a timer on that, doesn't sound very hard to implement. Just so you know what I can do today, I can fly in as parrot, cancel the nano and fight. When I want to leave I can cast it again an be out in 2 sec. Shout for a nerf of that if you like. This is not a fix, it's a nerf, better leave it as it is today than to change it. It's the easy way out of a problem that has been here since beta. Don't comment on profession-specific issues you obviously don't have sufficient knowledge to comment about.

For the persons who say we are blatantly complaining and having a reactionary response:

The game was sold as a "Skill" based game. Go look at the promo's or heck just look at every other pre 14.0 nano. There may have been a few weapons or such that had lvl restrictions, don't know, but having Most of the new Nano's "LEVEL" based is a fundamental change in the way the game is played.

i.e. Now you fight someone in pvp and he is lvl 174, you dont know if he has that uber 200 nano on him to nuke you, or that uber ql 200 weapon on him (Note this is just hypothetical).

Now add lvl restrictions...you know if he doesn't have that nano because it requires lvl 175 to cast. So you gank him anyway.

To me that is more boring, you know what and when people can get things....with the "SKILL" based items you could have a lvl 100 beat a lvl 200 because the lvl 200 unwisely spent ip!!
    "Haxamon"
    lvl 200 Crat

"Bludmusik"
    lvl 81 Adventurer

"Boottodahead"
    lvl 58 Fixer

"Stopgap"
    lvl 70 Enforcer

"Opposite"
    lvl 54 MA

Why exactly does the piut lizard HAVE to do everything at once? Why isn't enough to just have a bad mamba jamba for fighitng and then a leet for getting around? Sure, it would be nice ot have everything but from the first day the 14.4 notes were posted some adventurers immediatly focused on the one thing they didn't get and completely ignored the half dozen things they did get. Now, i'm never one to say your should be grateful for getting what you want (because you pay for this game, gratitude isn't part of it) but maybe its time to take a step back and realize you don't always get everything you want at one time.
    Click Click BOOM

www.proveuswrong.com
    BoomDoom - Lvl 146 NT
    Thugdoom - lvl 80 enforcer
    EmissaryDoom - lvl 75 Crat
    ProfDoom - Lvl 57 MP
    Nursedoom - lvl 57 Doctor

adding my voice against level requirements.

I kind of agree on the level reqs for the NCU buffs.. but any level requirements should only ever be a required level for the person other than yourself that you are casting the buff on IMO.
    If I have worked through the levels and spent the IP to be able to cast something, I should be able to at least cast it on myself in a skill based game

Originally posted by Intra
    adding my voice against level requirements.

I kind of agree on the level reqs for the NCU buffs.. but any level requirements should only ever be a required level for the person other than yourself that you are casting the buff on IMO.
    If I have worked through the levels and spent the IP to be able to cast something, I should be able to at least cast it on myself in a skill based game
    What he said

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Angry WTF were they thinking?!?!?!?

WTF was FUncom thinking when they instituted level restrictions on every new nano being released in 14.4 patch? I mean that is just plain stupidity on their part. I a with everyone on the NCU nano level restriction. Hell, I think even the Fixers are agreeing on that point, but not every other nano that is coming out with it. I usually support the decisions that Funcom makes, but I can't and won't abide by this decision. For those of you who say " Level restrictions are a good thing and must be done". I say, What kind of crack are you smoking?

I agree that if you are able to do something skill wise, so be it. If anyone thinks that level restrictions are a good thing in a skill based game, then lets take it a step further and make all nanos, armor, NCUs, and weapons level based as well. I think that would really balance the game (hahahaha). I want to see a Soldier or an Enforcer laugh about the fact that the shinny new gun or melee weapon they just found or bought they can't use because they are too low level even though their skill allows them to. If they start instituting level requirements, then I will have to leave this "skill-based game".

I hope they don't do it, but if they do I hope to see some of my friends in the next game.

I agree that level restrictions need to be on the person RECEIVING the NCU buffs. All other nanos that are being introduced however SHOULD NOT have any level restrictions whatsoever.

It appears they are totally misinterpretting what the players meant when they said they wanted high level content. High levle content does not mean slapping a stupid level restriction on a nano that anyone could use 10 or 15 levels before it says. If you don't want the average player to use it before that level, make predictions about the average player's stats, factor in decent (but not uber) implants, and MAYBE a halfway decent nano buff, and then tailor the skill reqs accordingly. This level req stuff total crap. If there is a level req in there to begin with, why even bother putting nano reqs at all?!

From some perspective...

In the release database, there are only 3 things with level reqs:
    -IQ Rings
    -Ring of Knowledge (IP Rings)
    -Clan/Omni Application Forms

Patch additions:
    --------------------
    13.5:
    -Augmented Bow Tie
    -Assault-class Tank Armor
    -Augmented Cyborg (Armor Line)
    -Bonehammer
    -Trader Shops
    -Shop-of-Fortune
    -Cortex of the Executioner (strange head implant)
    -Customized IMI Desert Reet 1000
    -Deimos' Bio-Enhanced Feedback Rifle
    -Fractured Sanity
    -Gamma Ejector
    -Hellfury Assault Cannon
    -Hellspinner Shock Cannon
    -Internal Anti-Matter Powerplant
    -Neleb's Nano-circuit Robe
    -Probe Casing Helmet
    -Rust-pitted Ring
    -Salvaged Beetle Blaster
    -Severus' Fusion Sprayer
    -Severus' Void Spinner
    -Sub-Dermal Vengeance Screen (Left Wrist/Right Wrist)
    13.6:
    -Clan Shoulderpads for the Learned
    -Clan Shoulderpads for the Su****ious
    -Clan Shoulderpads for the Veracious
    -Corroded Blade
    -DeCranum's Corona MK I (Armor Set)
    -DeCranum's Corona MK II (Armor Set)
    -Fork of Ghasap
    -Mantis Scissors
    -Pads of Dedication
    -Pads of Interest
    -Pads of Will
    -Queen Blade
    -Steaming Hot Cup of Enhanced Coffee
    13.8:
    -Aura Magnifier
    -Cloak of the Wandering Knight
    -Fleshchopper
    -Gaily Painted Hood
    -Globe of Clarity
    -Globe of Sufferance
    -Heart of Tarasque
    -Heavily Padded Overcoat
    -Hollow Bone Bracer of Merlin Ambrosius
    -Large Sparkle-Plate
    -NCU Hacker Interface
    -Motum Focus
    -Pick-a-Finger
    -Robust Backpack
    -Signet Ring of the Green Knight
    -Sinew of Tarasque
    -Smart Hood of the Wanderer
    -Smelly Butcher Gloves
    -Soltoyz Intimate Helper
    -Spirit Focus
    -Toothpicker
    14.0:
    -NOTHING
    14.2:
    -Agent Undercover Kit - Clan
    -Arms of the Servants of Eight
    -Augmented OT Ring
    -Body of the Servants of Eight
    -Desert Scorpiod Battle Suit
    -Feet of the Servants of Eight
    -Hands of the Servants of Eight
    -Head of the Servants of Eight
    -Kevlar Wool Balaclava Helmet
    -Kick of the Spirit Boots
    -Legs of the Servants of Eight
    -NanoCrystal (Enhanced Trueshot)
    -NanoCrystal (Gnat's Wing)
    -Ring of Presence
    -Thin Bernice
    14.4:
    -A Crashed Implant
    -Clan Ring of Salvation
    -Custom-Made Adventurer Ring of Balance
    -Custom-Made Adventurer Ring of Versatility
    -Custom-Made Agent Ring of Sniping
    -Custom-Made Agent Ring of Stealth
    -Custom-Made Bureaucrat Ring of Control
    -Custom-Made Bureaucrat Ring of Office
    -Custom-Made Doctor Ring of Life
    -Custom-Made Doctor Ring of Skill
    -Custom-Made Enforcer Ring of Bashing
    -Custom-Made Enforcer Ring of Surprise
    -Custom-Made Engineer Ring of Battle
    -Custom-Made Engineer Ring of Tinkering
    -Custom-Made Fixer Ring of Participation
    -Custom-Made Fixer Ring of Progress
    -Custom-Made Martial Artist Ring of Competence
    -Custom-Made Martial Artist Ring of Escape
    -Custom-Made Metaphysicist Ring of Focus
    -Custom-Made Metaphysicist Ring of the Occult
    -Custom-Made Nano-Technician Ring of Concentration
    -Custom-Made Nano-Technician Ring of Execution
    -Custom-Made Soldier Ring of Attack
    -Custom-Made Soldier Ring of Defense
    -Custom-Made Trader Ring of Production
    -Custom-Made Trader Ring of Supply
    -I am the Bear
    -I am the Eel
    -I am the Owl
    -Living Dragonflesh Body Armor
    -Living Dragonmarrow Feet Armor
    -Living Dragonskin Legs Armor
    -Living Dragonskull Circlet
    -Living Dragonwing Arms Armor
    -NanoCrystal (Greater Lick Wounds)
    -NanoCrystal (Lesser Lick Wounds)
    -NanoCrystal (Lick Wounds)
    -NanoCrystal (Minor Lick Wounds)
    -NanoCrystal (Active Viral Compressor)
    -NanoCrystal (Anger of the Porcupine)
    -NanoCrystal (Backyard Revitalization)
    -NanoCrystal (Ballad of Smoke)
    -NanoCrystal (Ballad of the Desperado)
    -NanoCrystal (Ballad of the Pistolero)
    -NanoCrystal (Ballad of the Plains Wanderer)
    -NanoCrystal (Biosign Rejuvenator)
    -NanoCrystal (Bite of the Wind)
    -NanoCrystal (Blackmarket Prescription)
    -NanoCrystal (Blissful Calm)
    -NanoCrystal (Blur of Claws)
    -NanoCrystal (Cellular Crashcart)
    -NanoCrystal (Corrosive Cloud)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Arctic Gale)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Biting Blades)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Cloak of Fire)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Corrosive Barrier)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Enshroud with Barbs)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Fiery Vengeance)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Fiery Wrap)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Firefly's Fury)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Guard of the Grizzly)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Interlocking Barbs)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Lightning's Child)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Magma Coating)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Nest of Vipers)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Personal Blizzard)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Porcupine Barrier)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Protection of the Storm)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Razor Barrier)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Retaliatory Venom Spit)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Retribution of the Aesir)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Revenge of the Valkyrie)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Skin of the Toad)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Sparking Touch)
    -NanoCrystal (Cyclic Wings of the Phoenix)
    -NanoCrystal (Dance of the Dervish)
    -NanoCrystal (Deck Recoder)
    -NanoCrystal (Dichotomy of Nature)
    -NanoCrystal (Division of the Winds)
    -NanoCrystal (Dr Hack 'n Quack)
    -NanoCrystal (Eleet Friend)
    -NanoCrystal (Fangs of the Snake)
    -NanoCrystal (Feline Rage)
    -NanoCrystal (Flamespout)
    -NanoCrystal (Frenzy of Fur)
    -NanoCrystal (Frenzy of Shells)
    -NanoCrystal (Friend of the Wild)
    -NanoCrystal (Gaze of the Hunter)
    -NanoCrystal (Grid Phase Accelerator (Team))
    -NanoCrystal (Grid Runner (Team))
    -NanoCrystal (Grid Surfer (Team))
    -NanoCrystal (Gridspace Freedom (Team))
    -NanoCrystal (Hack Grid Data Stream (Team))
    -NanoCrystal (Hack Grid Data Stream)
    -NanoCrystal (Hack Grid Vector (Team))
    -NanoCrystal (Hacked Diagnosis)
    -NanoCrystal (Howl of the Wolf)
    -NanoCrystal (Incinerate)
    -NanoCrystal (Jury-rigged NCU Analyzer)
    -NanoCrystal (Kin of Tarasque)
    -NanoCrystal (Kitchen-sink Surgery)
    -NanoCrystal (Leader of the Pack)
    -NanoCrystal (Leech Grid Vector (Team))
    -NanoCrystal (Leet Friend)
    -NanoCrystal (Leetas Friend)
    -NanoCrystal (Lupus Oculus)
    -NanoCrystal (Lure of the Pincushion)
    -NanoCrystal (Major Suppressor)
    -NanoCrystal (NCU Compressor)
    -NanoCrystal (Nano Cauterization)
    -NanoCrystal (Pack Hunter)
    -NanoCrystal (Partial Grid Jump (Team))
    -NanoCrystal (Presence of the Dominator)
    -NanoCrystal (Presence of the Master)
    -NanoCrystal (Presence of the Overlord)
    -NanoCrystal (QuarkStor NCU Core)
    -NanoCrystal (Rebinding Sutures)
    -NanoCrystal (Recompiling Memory Analyzer)
    -NanoCrystal (Retool NCU)
    -NanoCrystal (Sentient Viral Recoder)
    -NanoCrystal (Serene Sky)
    -NanoCrystal (Sharpen Claws)
    -NanoCrystal (Shower With Lead)
    -NanoCrystal (Soleet Friend)
    -NanoCrystal (Spray With Lead)
    -NanoCrystal (Stare of Cerberus)
    -NanoCrystal (Stormedge)
    -NanoCrystal (Strength of the Hummingbird)
    -NanoCrystal (Superior Lick Wounds)
    -NanoCrystal (Suppressor)
    -NanoCrystal (Supreme Suppressor)
    -NanoCrystal (Systolic Equalizer)
    -NanoCrystal (Thorn of the Rose)
    -NanoCrystal (Toothy Grin)
    -NanoCrystal (Tranquility of the Vale)
    -NanoCrystal (Vengeance of Nature)
    -NanoCrystal (Vision of the Wolf)
    -NanoCrystal (Wind Slicer)
    -NanoCrystal (Zephyr from the Grove)
    -Neutral Ring of Survival
    -Omni-Tek Ring of Harmony
    -Silly Ring
    --------------------

Basically...14.4 has added *triple* the number of level-locked items as were existing from all the patches combined. Something that previously was relegated to strange, rare, and powerful items is now being applied generously to all sorts of things.

So...my question is...is AO going to continute to be skill-based, or go level-based? I'd just like an official response.

-Jayde

Day 15 and no comment in any thread I can see
    Fighting for Truth, Common Sense and Leet Dolls Since 1996

Give the people what they want

If I am
    I am
    If Not

Forget It

Yeah, this is Funcoms major flaw - the total lack of communication!
    * July 9, 2001 :: + July 29, 2004

Originally posted by Mr Bean
    SSDD.
    Originally posted by Whaambulance
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.
    'Balancing' Nanos Will Remain Imbalanced Vs. Old Nanos - Because We Said So!

O Gaute, Gaute! Wherefore art thou Gaute?
    Deny thy nerfs and refuse thy lame design decisions;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but on the forums,
    And I'll no longer be a whiner.

Heh, I see that Funcom suceeds in ruining the game in my absense (which, mind you, is still in affect *coughs*)

Anyway, I am totally against this (too tired to type up anything - it's all already been said). And make the fixer NCU buffs have a TARGET lvl requirment. What does it matter that a level 200 fixer can cast their best buff on a level 2 since they are level 200?
    ~Chris

Originally posted by Megabio
    What does it matter that a level 200 fixer can cast their best buff on a level 2 since they are level 200?
    ~Chris
    Because that's where exploiting and twinking come in which is what funcom is trying to avoid, which is fine with most of us (i think). The problem is putting a level req on spells that having nothing to do with twinking
    Click Click BOOM

www.proveuswrong.com
    BoomDoom - Lvl 146 NT
    Thugdoom - lvl 80 enforcer
    EmissaryDoom - lvl 75 Crat
    ProfDoom - Lvl 57 MP
    Nursedoom - lvl 57 Doctor

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast