Thread: Omni/Clan/Neut Difference?

Omni/Clan/Neut Difference?

I'm trying to make sure I understand the implications of picking a faction, here's what I understand you get from picking a side:

Staying Neutral
    + Being able to wander into any city without being killed by npcs
    + Able to select whatever side you want to fight on when entering a battlestation
    - Slightly less gear choices because some items require Clan or Omni
    - Less org choices as being neut seems to be way less popular
    - No token board

Omni/Clan
    + Fluff/background storyline
    + Some faction-specific gear (but not a huge amount)
    + Token Boards
    + Tons of org choices
    + Able to change sides to the enemy faction (only drawback being your token board is useless?)
    - Shot-on-sight in opposing faction zones

Questions

Am I missing anything?

If I decide to go Omni, and then decide to switch to Clan at a later time, is there any major drawback aside from having a useless token board and having to grind token again?

Regarding token boards - can a neut get anything remotely close to something for that gear slot? Or are all the other items in the game that fit the same slot as a token board way inferior?

If I choose a faction, will I be unable to join a team with an opposing faction member in it? I.e. if I'm Omni will I not be able to join a team if a Clan player is already on the team?

Thanks

as a neut you also get to shop clan and omni both on GMS.

you can use items that say "not omni"

you can use items that say "not clan"

you get use of all gardens, making traveling thru SL much easier.

you get to use the smuggled board, which is damn nice.

you get to team with anyone, anywhere.

you can switch to either side, anytime. (but never back to neut)
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

All my paid toons are neut, because I enjoy the ease of transportation/shopping (you get to use all 3 factions chat channels as well).

Being able to do garden quests for each side as well is a huge bonus, it's much quicker to get around and you get huge xp boosts for each.

As far as teaming goes, as a sided person you can team anyone anywhere, BUT if your team is killing sided Shadowlands mobs of the same faction to you, it's very very very bad. So in Inferno missions for instance, you'd only want to team with your faction or neuts, and kill mobs of the opposite faction to yourself - which limits your options in teams of course.

As a neut, you can join teams of any side without suffering consequences.

Also, you can only switch between omni/clan before level 201, after that you're locked into your side. If you go sided, you can NEVER be neut again. However, Neuts have the option to pick a side all the way to 220 (which cannot be changed again of course).

Sided toons get better neck items (token boards) but there are some very nice neutral-wearable items that close the gap.

If you're into towers and the whole faction war thing, I'd say go sided, you'll get more action (Neut isn't generally as active in towers from what I've seen). If you're mainly a PVMer or like to pvp in battlestations, go for neut.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrabyte View Post
    Dont the guards in Tir still shoot neutrals? Or was that removed again?

And almost all the popular and useful choices arent side locked, only the old RK "faction" items.
    There are still a few, of course, but depends on your needs.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Staying Neutral
    + Able to select whatever side you want to fight on when entering a battlestation
    - Less org choices as being neut seems to be way less popular
    - No token board

Omni/Clan
    + Fluff/background storyline
    + Some faction-specific gear (but not a huge amount)
    + Token Boards
    + Tons of org choices
    + Able to change sides to the enemy faction (only drawback being your token board is useless?)
    - Shot-on-sight in opposing faction zones
    Well, some Tir guards still do shoot at us neuts, but otherwise it is possible to move freely. Not that I really move much on RK though. In SL, it depends on your faction if sided mobs attack you, so if you just keep doing one side missions, you will be shot by other side.

As with battlestation. choosing the shorter queue is often choosing the losing side as well. Not always, but often it is the side with most that wins. Though it is enough if you just wantt to do dailies or farm kills =p

As of amount of organization choises, I have a feeling that it is easier to hit in nice org as neut than it is on either side. Might just be that being neutral means you are losing side XP, some gear and pretty much towers, and not able to get back so people who are just after easy stuff don't stay neut.

Also, while you can team with anyone, I've seen it often that people do just check for their own side in LFT, thus ignoring us neutrals. Of course there are people checking all factions, and if you make teams its not a problem for you.

Questions

Am I missing anything?

Regarding token boards - can a neut get anything remotely close to something for that gear slot? Or are all the other items in the game that fit the same slot as a token board way inferior?
    As for paid, the difference is pretty huge; Xan boards likely being closest to sided ones. There is also of course Sigil that everyone can use and the neutral only Profiteer's Helper but with the sided Xan boards being almost combination of what neutrals can wear... Free players aren't at such big difference.
    Mireiawen Rose, 215/30/70 neut fixer, setup RK2
    Mireiwen Rose, 220/27/62 neut MA trader/tradeskiller, setup RK2
    Miraiwen Rose, 220/30/70 neut SMG soldier, setup RK2
    Miraeawen Rose, 220/27/70 neut MP, setup RK2
    Mireiaieawen Rose, 220/30/69 neut tank, RK2
    +bunch of others in Rose family...

President of Neutral Warriors | Neutnet mod | Mireiawen.net

Got superior pewpew or nerfbat? But it looks ugly, or you are just plain bored with everyone going around with same? Bump for Weapon Remodeling and get your unique looks!

Don't be a fence sitter. Pick a side, flip a coin if you have to. Clan/omni get token boards, and those alone are worth picking a side.

Quote Originally Posted by Cepacia View Post
    Don't be a fence sitter. Pick a side, flip a coin if you have to. Clan/omni get token boards, and those alone are worth picking a side.
    They are currently, but this may change at some point as part of Means plan to allow neutrals to access more items.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Being neutral also gives you access to both Clan and Omni OOC/shopping channels. Thus I keep a couple of neutral toons for commerce reasons. ^.^
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

clan/omni == more side xp (depends on who got towers -> clan actually -> max xp)
    clan/omni == NW (neut doesnt play a significant role from tl3 to tl7!; -> towers + contracts!)
    clan/omni == fight for your side, dont stay in the middle without having a real opinion
    clan/omni == raid pf42 with your faction and grt nice loot (clan raids 2x per week + org raids)
    clan/omni == join a big community in your faction; lots of orgs waiting for ya
    clan/omni == be part of the side-conflict

so, as neut you will miss a lot in this game

you dont have to get into every city. and from tl5 you can easily run thru any sided city without probs. you only need oa+bore // bore+rome...newland is allways accessable, neuts dont have real guards...^^ and you dont need gms access on your main. just create a neut char on any of your accounts and use it for gms. easy. choose a side!
    Last edited by -yeny-; Jan 27th, 2011 at 16:16:06.
    Yeny | Intake | Rhiya | Juiya | Evilshadey | Infamous | Ntlein | Riya | Aryna | Pastafari | Badcore | Palsy | ...and more...

Quote Originally Posted by Means in Friday with Means - February 24th, 2011 - The dust is settling
    We are not going to be able to release the engine in Q1 but we are still hoping for an "Early Beta" in Q1 or early Q2

Thanks for the info everybody. I think I'll stay neutral for now

Quote Originally Posted by -yeny- View Post
    clan/omni == fight for your side, dont stay in the middle without having a real opinion
    neut == fight the *******s (Omni, Clan or Neut) instead of the nice people that just happen to carry a different faction-flag :P

I'd hate to be blind to more then half the communication going on... I like to talk, help out and learn from other people that are helping .

Edit:

Thanks for the info everybody. I think I'll stay neutral for now
    Nice .
    Edta 200 NT, froob , Setup, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus (Froob Raids)
    Neutral For Life, AO For Ever!
    Please, let Clan and Omni return to Neutral Clan/Omni Resignation forms!

omni OR clan communication is more than you need ^^

neut is just the weakest faction. they couldnt even protect borealis from getting overrun by omni (from the RP point of view :P). neut can offer nothing. no history, no pvp efforts, nothing. it might be a good starting faction to see what side is the best for you. but nothing more :P

now smack me down neuts :P
    Yeny | Intake | Rhiya | Juiya | Evilshadey | Infamous | Ntlein | Riya | Aryna | Pastafari | Badcore | Palsy | ...and more...

Quote Originally Posted by Means in Friday with Means - February 24th, 2011 - The dust is settling
    We are not going to be able to release the engine in Q1 but we are still hoping for an "Early Beta" in Q1 or early Q2

Quote Originally Posted by -yeny- View Post
    . it might be a good starting faction to see what side is the best for you. but nothing more :P
    I think that's exactly what the OP is looking for...

and all yuo said about the sides differences are for RK1.. I m not sure the OP said on which server he played.
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    I think that's exactly what the OP is looking for...

and all yuo said about the sides differences are for RK1.. I m not sure the OP said on which server he played.
    I was under the impression that RK1 and RK2 are essentially the same, I actually asked that question in another thread here (http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=586812).

So are you saying it's actually different?

So are you saying it's actually different?
    They each have 9 years of their own seperate histories and player bases, so it seems like they would be different socially. I'm on rk1 though so that's all I know personally.