Thread: New to SL...a few questions, please.

New to SL...a few questions, please.

Hello,

I have been playing AO since they first introduced the Free basic Client program. I Found i really Enjoy playing this game and have gotten several friends to play. well they upgraded to SL and now i have as well. i have a lvl 35 Opifex Doctor, currentyl with 305 pistol skill.. i currently use Sol K91 Mini monsters (QL22 &17) and as of lvl 25-30ish i was still doing decent dmg..but htey are getting old. now that i have Shadowlands what pistols should i watch out for(speaking of the pre tl4 levels mostly but all reccomendations are welcome), any early items i should look for to improve my doc skill? i have the chalice from TOTW but dont use it as it removes most of my fighting ability and sadly with the quality of groups i have been getting into lately, my ability to umm, protect myself is fairly necessary..

any advice is appreciated, Ty
    Jezi 35 Opi Doc

They're not easy to get on your own, but if you can get someone to help you then a pair of Customized IMI Desert Reet 1000 are excellent. They drop from the Lab Director in a dungeon called "Biomare" (or "Foremans") which is located along The Longest Road, just past West Athens. They have a level 41 requirement.

In the mean time the Joint Clans Scout Pistol might be ok. You can buy them in the regular shops, or have a look in the player shops too.
    Ghostimage ..[218.19 Doc]
    Redtail .........[218.14 Fix]
    Finmere .......[150.14 Enf]

or you can buy Flux Pistols, they are very cheap and common now, and easy to find in low ql's.
    220/22
    Teh "Dokalicious"
    Unit Commander of Legion

Setup still working on it...

Aren't Fluxes a lil slow and hard to dual for that kind of levels ?
    For using fluxes you could perhaps use CDR (the foreman's office gun Redtail is talking about) dualled with a flux ?

Btw i'm not that convinced of the pistols efficiency for a doc. (Exept perhaps the AI pistols which seems quite good)
    220 Psiloaded Shade - Eqp - Perks
    220 Stelai Doctor - Eqp - Perks

- Nemesis -

Quote Originally Posted by Redtail
    In the mean time the Joint Clans Scout Pistol might be ok. You can buy them in the regular shops, or have a look in the player shops too.
    He's a doc, Joint Clans Scout are Adv only

Personally I've only ever used MA on a doc (though at higher levels in SL it is rather less effective). Other than the alien pistols, I'd not be sure what to suggest. Flux Pistols are nice min damage, but are slow... The Original Electronicum used to be a popular enough pistol (mission and dyna boss loot)... The CDR at 41+ is definitely a gun to get though if pistol is your chosen route.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

used flux pisltols on my nm doc for around 1 week and was so tired of it that i changed to kyr pistols (alien) and i have to say that alien pistols type 1 main hand and type 4 offhande and a nice scope totally rox flux

only reason i would choose flux was because of the low reqs (around 1400 on ql 300 if i remb correctly) where alien have a bit higher req's

but if you compare the speed and the speciel recharge than i have to say that kyr pistols is they way to go (for pistol users)

but if you dont have AI then i would suggest a soft pepper pistol to buff your BM/MM/MC skill and then maybe dualwield it with a flux or a CDR from foremann's if you have the ips for it and are able to get it

not the max dmg setup but would allow you to heal better + do a few decent hits
    many know me whitout knowing who i am...
    killer 60%
    Explorer 53%
    Achiever 46%
    Socializer 40%
    Proud Squad commander of Ragnarok

Current playing: Rubydoc 209+ doc - Catmech 201+ engi
    Semi-retired: Spirou 206 NT - Icecatt 190+ crat
    Retired/twinks: Diamonddog 207 doc - Diamondadv 149 adv

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbane
    He's a doc, Joint Clans Scout are Adv only
    Doh! what a goof I forgot. Last used them on my little Advie
    Ghostimage ..[218.19 Doc]
    Redtail .........[218.14 Fix]
    Finmere .......[150.14 Enf]

I think Fluxes make a good choice for a couple of reasons. The min damage isn't bad. They are easy to upgrade/replace when you level out of them.

I do think they are probably NOT a permanent solution but good till TL6 or so. You aren't going to do huge damage with them but at those levels your benefit is really much more as a healer than as a damage dealer.
    Maybe you can only be young once, but you can be immature forever.

It seems some are implying that a pistol might not be the greatest weapon in the end. what is the popular ranged weapon for docs? i do pretty decent damage... By the way whats is a CDR?

if you want to do dmg as lower lvl (and want to be ranged) i would suggest pistols or jame

both have fling + burst (pistols you need to upgrade)

but jame is nice because you can selfequip it later on and it have a nice min dmg

later on you can then make 1 ipr and switch to MBC (even have same dmg type so dont have to change bracers or nothing)
    many know me whitout knowing who i am...
    killer 60%
    Explorer 53%
    Achiever 46%
    Socializer 40%
    Proud Squad commander of Ragnarok

Current playing: Rubydoc 209+ doc - Catmech 201+ engi
    Semi-retired: Spirou 206 NT - Icecatt 190+ crat
    Retired/twinks: Diamonddog 207 doc - Diamondadv 149 adv