Thread: Who is the Genius

Who is the Genius

...who invented the "You are the 999,999th visitor! Click Yes to confirm" banners?

Those get so freakin annoying
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

I'm not exactly sure, but to be on the safe side I faceslap all marketing people I see.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

I don't know, but along with all the other rubbish out there, we are so used to them, I really wonder; who clicks on them? What gives them the idea that it is working?

I have my browser set to no display flash and gif adverts, so I just get a nice little box with a red cross. If I want to see it, then I right click and say show.

I am immune to advertising. I don't buy any brand labels, I don't shop in certain places. If fact if I see a brand being over advertised. I boycott it. There are some brands (which I won't name as that is a form of advertising) that I will never purchase again.

The little X999.99999999 doesn't work, I see it as the number rounded up and I know the adverts so I avoid the products. I guess they work in reverse, also I don't sit and absorb them, I think and consider them a few times to see the angle the technique. I give them conscious thought, not just let them filter to my subconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshai View Post
    I don't know, but along with all the other rubbish out there, we are so used to them, I really wonder; who clicks on them? What gives them the idea that it is working?
    From what I hear, ads like that are aimed at people with Obsessive-compulsive disorder, as many of them apperently feel the need of clicking at those flashy/shaking/shiny banners even if they dont want to. But I might be wrong.

I am immune to advertising. I don't buy any brand labels, I don't shop in certain places. If fact if I see a brand being over advertised. I boycott it. There are some brands (which I won't name as that is a form of advertising) that I will never purchase again.
    So you're really not immune to advertising at all - it's still very much affecting what you buy because you're making the effort to buy products that don't advertise.

Also, I've seen several adds for Anarchy Online on various gaming sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    So you're really not immune to advertising at all ...
    Also, I've seen several adds for Anarchy Online on various gaming sites.
    Yes alright then.

Anyone for a prune? I am trying to start a new movement here. >;P

There is one guy I teally need to murder. Someone who sent ads who not only ennoy completely the user no matter the browser but makes the websites unusable by blocking them and redirecting.

And by websites I mean some you end often browsing forums like imageshack.

It's a banner or something, it suddenly reduce all you browser window and pop up a confirmation box with a goddamn novel explaining you that you have viruses or spyware or other crap and the "spywerscrewer" or whatever is called is scanning your computer. And a YES NO choice, for no reason. Alway clicking no it redirect me to something I don't see because I close or press home asap.

Then it shows another confirmation box "the scan is not complete, WHY OH WHY YOU UNBELIEVER ASDFGH !".

And it appens 25% of the time with these sites. Each page load.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Quote Originally Posted by Boltgun View Post
    There is one guy I really need to murder.
    ..."spywarescrewer" or whatever is called is scanning your computer. And a YES NO choice, for no reason. Alway clicking no it redirects me to something I don't see because I close or press home asap.

Then it shows another confirmation box "the scan is not complete, WHY OH WHY YOU UNBELIEVER ASDFGH !".
    This is pretty nasty, they now have your IP or a lock on it and have loaded a few things into your computer.

Best thing to do is kill your internet connection after updating your real anti-spyware and antivirus. Run a deep scan disk with auto error checking and surface scans, do a defrag (to prepare your PC) go into safe mode and with command (preferably) run your scanning software. Keep an eye on your task manager for strange processes. I have seen a few "jump" when they get "tickled" by the anti-virus or anti-spyware.

This is a good process to do once a week.

Now just do this for 50 computers at work at once with the server too. (boring as hell)

*hugs the laptop with Sims 2 hidden in a hard disk vault*

P.S. before you clear your internet history go through it and put all the dodgy looking site on your restricted and firewall list.

This is pretty nasty, they now have your IP or a lock on it and have loaded a few things into your computer.

Best thing to do is kill your internet connection after updating your real anti-spyware and antivirus. Run a deep scan disk with auto error checking and surface scans, do a defrag (to prepare your PC) go into safe mode and with command (preferably) run your scanning software. Keep an eye on your task manager for strange processes. I have seen a few "jump" when they get "tickled" by the anti-virus or anti-spyware.

This is a good process to do once a week.

Now just do this for 50 computers at work at once with the server too. (boring as hell)

*hugs the laptop with Sims 2 hidden in a hard disk vault*

P.S. before you clear your internet history go through it and put all the dodgy looking site on your restricted and firewall list.
    Done and done, obviously this banner attempt to send me a program when I close the window but it's blocked. Never had hijacks so far, like some I have seen on other computers. But again I know my process list and see when a new one make his way there.
    Last edited by Boltgun; Oct 30th, 2007 at 12:46:39.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Good, just wanted you to know incase you needed the info fast and or for anyone else that has the same sort of troubles.