Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Remove /assist macro.

While I'll agree some of it is totally not fun.. I have to disagree with you on the account of it being boring.

The last several Tara raids have been a hoot... not only because omni won them, but because the battle itself. It wasn't overly biased for numbers... it was just a blast.
    Well, boring only because of game mechanics and server issues. I've played a few games where I've had 20-40+ vs same numbers and it's been alot of fun. I accidently drove past Inner Circle's city one night, didn't even know anything was going on and found myself doing 3 snapshots of locations along my path... the back of a Clan Atrox guy... and then bam, I was half the way out of the city due to lag. That... isn't a blast.

When you're more worried about LD's, lag/latency issues than some Clan/Omni hitting you... some advancement in technology needs to come about hence my boring comment as well as watching said professions absolutely destroy other professions via perks alone. That isn't PvP.

But big fights... always a good thing, assuming everyone can move.
    Apokolips -=- Chief Engineer Level 185 "Does your Gigi Waddle?"
    Apokyrozch -=- Fixer Level 122
    Apokolipsis -=- Trader Level 100
    Apokalock -=- Nano-Technician Level 81
    Apokakron -=- Meta-Physicist Level 54

She lolwns me Alessa

Agreed.

Though I think you should watch Tiamin's take of the Tara raid that occured a few days ago -- there were plenty of people there and I can say honestly, from my lagolicious standpoint... that it wasn't that bad.

Still, you are totally correct - the servers need to be fixed/upgraded/have holy water poured on them... whatever... to make mass PvP be functional
    {Self-Moderated by Iolanthe}
    //220//19// ex nihilo, nihil fit

Proud Veteran of Tranquility
    RK-1's First 220 Hawt Solitus Shade
    Hawter than j00 and always right. Always.

-=Mottos to Troll by=-
    "I am Paper. Rock is fine. Nerf Scissors." "Shaddup before I smite you with scary logic bombs
    and keeel you with mind bullets." "You don't have to provide all sides of an arguement
    when the other perspectives are clearly bullsh*t."

Wink

Maybe restrict /assist to only your teammates? Would stop crazy ganking at lagwars for people like servant, and would not affect Pvm much at all, every team would just need a caller, not too hard to do if you actually pay attention and not

tab+q /afk
    Back in Action... for now!

Quote Originally Posted by seventshadow
    Who cares about pvm as far as i care give mobs 100 k nuke that they use the instant somebody uses /assist can garantee people wont see /assist as needed 30 sec after it goes live.
    So you got out of char creation at lvl 220 with all the neat stuff you wear?
    ಠ_ಠ

weee yet more bored-bitter-220-pvp all-the-time-gives-two-rats-about-anyone-else-ranting... yes please nerf more PvM stuff... stupid.

I've got a better idea, lets just remove PvP, Tara, and Towers from the game, and FC can make a deal with blizzard, to reimburse anyone who wants it with an equal level WoW char on a pvp server.

What? stupid idea? no more stupid then all the pvm nerfs called for for pvp "improvements"
    Last edited by Talan; Sep 1st, 2005 at 13:28:25.
    Alexander "Talan" Calnid
    Currently AFK, will see you all in a few months
    Advisor of Shattered Dreams ~ My Equipment ~ Bio ~ My AO-Journal
    Alts of Note: "Malta" Desan ~ Equip || Jiro "Stone" Yamato ~ Equip || Jane "Lustywench" Scarlet ~ Equip || Scape ~ Equip

Tsukts: Yeah... You were the naked perv in bor. lol
    Talan: yep that was me
    Tsukts: I still have nightmares about you.

/assist does screw heavily with large scale pvp battles... it should be changed somehow.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

With lag in mass PvP, just how long would it take to tab through to the right target being called? Or was that the original plan, to remove teamwork and co-ordination of fire onto one target. Maybe in mass PvP, the 2 sides could stand opposite each other, then pair off and fight duels to ensure noone gets shot at by more than one person 0.o
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Grumpy "Siorai" Oldgit - 220.25 Clan Atrox Doctor - Screenshot - Equip (old)

First trox doc on RK1 using Blades of Boltar.

My Spirit Shroud Hell - Over 1400 kills with no drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromyrdraal
    With lag in mass PvP, just how long would it take to tab through to the right target being called? Or was that the original plan, to remove teamwork and co-ordination of fire onto one target. Maybe in mass PvP, the 2 sides could stand opposite each other, then pair off and fight duels to ensure noone gets shot at by more than one person 0.o
    Think positive

It would in fact make pvp more interesting because right now each side has one main targeter calling targets for all raidforce. Of course there are more targeters as they die quite often and have to be replaced .

If /assist worked only within team than every team would have own targeter and big battles would require lot more team work than now.

I ll use comparision to WW2 naval battles.
    Right now pvp is like battle of 2 huge battleships (with capitans dying and replaced quite often ) as often targeter is at the same time RL.

With /assist working only within team pvp would look like a battle of 2 fleets (each team acting as smaller ship with own capitan).

So to sum it up, limiting /assist to work only within team would:

- make PvP more fun, require more strategy and real team work (within teams)

- for PvM in 90% it would make no difference (as 90% of PvM is one team play)
    - for PvM in 10% (multi team big raids) would make more difficult, but not impossible. I think the biggest impact would be on beast raids and APF raids as in other raids you rarely have many adds.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Quote Originally Posted by Dromyrdraal
    Hitting /assist AS isnt more team coordination then hitting DoF is pvp skill. And the idea is that in mass pvp if you getting attacked by copple of people in same time then you do- but not becouse all they did was hit /assist sold1234 macro then AS- becouse they actually attacking you by themselfs.

Ohh and ya the idea is to cansel calling targets in mass pvp- sinse it means instadeath for anybody exept maybe sol with AMS on no matter your pvp skills making pvp moronic.
    Build a fire to somebody and you provide him with a heat and a light for a night. Put somebody on fire and you provide him with a heat and a light for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Awi
    I think the biggest impact would be on beast raids and APF raids as in other raids you rarely have many adds.
    Sinse when anybody actually using raid assist in APF raids?
    Build a fire to somebody and you provide him with a heat and a light for a night. Put somebody on fire and you provide him with a heat and a light for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by seventshadow
    Sinse when anybody actually using raid assist in APF raids?

Team /assist to get axp is still /assist. Say, do you ever think something through before you post?
    ಠ_ಠ

Quote Originally Posted by Ganiscol
    Team /assist to get axp is still /assist. Say, do you ever think something through before you post?
    Raid /assist is still raid /assist. Say, do you ever read something through before you post?

Like the idea of limiting assist to Teams, that makes a lot more sense.

Oh, and Sevent, Hitting DoF in PvP requires 100% more skill than you randomly hitting keys on your keyboard and calling it a nerf thread.

like the idea really, since then it would maybe more involve "selective targeting" isntead of "tab->q->call" or the fact that you'll have title farmers just plainly hitting a target so he gets enough damage on him and just waiting for that person to be called and gun'd down.

In PvM...well it would just make the gap of everyone jumping in on the attack abit longer. just wait a tiny bit and see who's taking hits. Also would require then ppl to actually pay more attention then just hit the /assist Name macro always welcoming these changes

Thinking about it, the one thing that would concern me if /assist was limited to teams, is that when playing my doc, I'll often /assist on the main target to see who it's hitting if there is more than one team. How would that work?

I think it is not a problem if:

/assist - still works on every target including mobs

/assist [name] - does not work at all

In team you just press F1-F6 then /assist
    In big pvp raids you woul have to select targeter then /assist (which 90% would not work because of lag) or focus on your team assist only.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

I'll support removing assist when the lag is fixed so running in and alphaing someone at towers wont make me ld 3 or 4 times...

Quote Originally Posted by Awi
    I think it is not a problem if:

/assist - still works on every target including mobs

/assist [name] - does not work at all

In team you just press F1-F6 then /assist
    In big pvp raids you woul have to select targeter then /assist (which 90% would not work because of lag) or focus on your team assist only.

See, that doesn't fly for me. There were times when I would have been up ****'s creek if I didn't have docs /assist ing the opposite faction caller.

I think the problem is more complicated than one would merit, all seflishness aside.

(PS Sevent... DoF doesn't save me. )

Even still.. getting spammed with attacked by messages and so on with AS... and then dying because you got called, and the lag is so horrid, no one could do anything about it...

I can't help but think /assist target is more of a lazy way to get around the lattency that the servers have innately in situations where we have mass PvP.

The only real harm I can think about it being if it were just restricted to teams would be for doctors.

I will say as a shade, in PvP, I don't use /assist, because for one, I'm melee, and two... I go after those I can perk, if I can see them, so I usually use my mouse to try to select folks I wanna kill :x

-=Mottos to Troll by=-
    "I am Paper. Rock is fine. Nerf Scissors." "Shaddup before I smite you with scary logic bombs
    and keeel you with mind bullets." "You don't have to provide all sides of an arguement

Quote Originally Posted by Iolanthe
    There were times when I would have been up ****'s creek if I didn't have docs /assist ing the opposite faction caller.
    Shortminded or partially looking?

Opposite side will have actually problems with getting 50 people to attack one target AT ONCE. Or how do you think they will call without ability to assist?

Maximum sh1t you can actually get - 6 people attacking you.

Awi's idea is best so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit
    Shortminded or partially looking?

Opposite side will have actually problems with getting 50 people to attack one target AT ONCE. Or how do you think they will call without ability to assist?

Maximum sh1t you can actually get - 6 people attacking you.

Awi's idea is best so far.
    I was making an example of the problems doctors would have. Stop putting words in my mouth and actually read and comprehend what it is that I do advocate.

I was agreeing with him - though he wasn't the first person to state that suggestion.

-=Mottos to Troll by=-

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast