Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Remove /assist macro.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    That's fine but it ruins assist healing.
    Version 0.2

If the target (after performing an assist) is a player character and "flagged", don't allow the assist in the code.

If the target (after performing an assist) is an NPC, allow the assist in the code.

PvP = no assist.
    PvM = same as always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidana View Post
    Problem is there's no chance in hell they will make assist server side and as long as it's client side it can be.. ahem, "used" giving an unrfair advantage to those who do. See inspect and opponent ncu windows for example. Either the whole thing goes or the whole thing stays, unfortunately.
    Well, then you're directly cheating and would be hooking the client and breaking the EULA, and frankly who wants to win while cheating? Then you're measuring how good you cheat not how well the other factors are performing (character, player behind character, etc). If someone does it so be it but that someone will eventually be questioned and get a reputation.

haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbane View Post
    Close, try

Code:
    If Me.Target.Type = "Player" And Me.Target.Target.Type = "Player" Then
        Do Nothing
    Else
        Assist As Normal
    End If
    So, only assisting from a player to a player is prevented.
    Yes sure. You could also check for flagged characters, and also if you're assisting a mob, hell you could even cross reference zones to allow it depending on raid locations or something else, endless possibilities.

[EDIT]: However, you have to admit that it can be solved superficially for the time being?
    Last edited by Gargle; Aug 28th, 2014 at 07:59:29.

haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargle View Post
    Version 0.2

If the target (after performing an assist) is a player character and "flagged", don't allow the assist in the code.

If the target (after performing an assist) is an NPC, allow the assist in the code.

PvP = no assist.
    PvM = same as always.
    Now... this is a good fix.

Bring flags to battle so you can't get assist gangbanged.

unfortunately I think the problem is clientside as someone mentioned which will be very difficult to "fix".

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    Now... this is a good fix.

Bring flags to battle so you can't get assist gangbanged.

unfortunately I think the problem is clientside as someone mentioned which will be very difficult to "fix".
    Yeah right, just because you make a statement that it's "very difficult to fix" is what it is. It's beyond me how people can just limit themselves like that without actually exploring different possibilities.

So go back to solution one and compromise.

Or simply look into restructuring suppression zones, getting flagged, pvp, and then put new limits on what can and can't be done within being flagged, or the "newly" defined suppression zones. Revamp it.

haters gonna hate.

↑↑↓↓ ← → ← → B A
    It's not a question if I would cheat or you would cheat. It's a question if it's cheatable, and if it is then it will be cheated by some, simple as that.

I can only direct your attention to inspect and ncu inspect, both are forced available from 18.7 because of this. That's the sad truth of our times.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecheeseman View Post
    This is so out of context regarding my quote that I don't even know how to respond...
    because i win.

It's not a question if I would cheat or you would cheat. It's a question if it's cheatable, and if it is then it will be cheated by some, simple as that.

I can only direct your attention to inspect and ncu inspect, both are forced available from 18.7 because of this. That's the sad truth of our times.
    The argument is silly. If you're going to hack the client or go to that extent to assist then you may as well just start writing a framework for automation of your characters. Besides, I would think you could detect people that actually hack the client and bypass assist from the logs.

haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbane View Post
    Close, try

Code:
        Do Nothing
    Else
        Assist As Normal
    End If
    So, only assisting from a player to a player is prevented.
    Code:
        Do Nothing
    Else If Me.Target.Type = "Player" And Me.Target.Target.Type = "NPC" Then
        Only Allow Doctor to "Assist Heal" (Nothing else)
    Else
        Assist As Normal
    End If

haters gonna hate.

↑↑↓↓ ← → ← → B A
    The argument is silly.
    Tell that to FC.

If you're going to hack the client or go to that extent to assist then you may as well just start writing a framework for automation of your characters. Besides, I would think you could detect people that actually hack the client and bypass assist from the logs.
    You won't tell anything from the logs, targeting is all client side. And as long as it's client side it can be cheated if it's artificially limited. There are no arguments here, just facts.

When you can show me one online game where something easy to cheat is not cheated by some people you'll have a case, until then...
    This is so out of context regarding my quote that I don't even know how to respond...
    because i win.

alot is client side, but assist is server side, or at the very least CAN be
    Garden keys can be bought from the key locked garden vendor in case you have deleted your key.

You won't tell anything from the logs, targeting is all client side. And as long as it's client side it can be cheated if it's artificially limited. There are no arguments here, just facts.
    If a 100 players stood in a giant circle and targeted a 100 different monsters would your client immediately be updated of the 100 players targets? Or would it be update once you actually clicked on one of them?

When you can show me one online game where something easy to cheat is not cheated by some people you'll have a case, until then...
    Ok, so tell me how would you hook into the client (technically) to create an assist cheat if it were patched?

I'm pretty sure that players would get a sense of who's cheating or not and logs could show the repeated interval between attacks of that group, if it's 25 NTs or otherwise.

haters gonna hate.

↑↑↓↓ ← → ← → B A
    I don't think discussing (possible future) exploits is a productive thing.

But to (kind of) answer your question you should take a very, very good look at DayZ to see that anything and everything that's client side can and will be exploited/hacked. Most of DayZ is (was) client side, and most of DayZ is hacked even if that kills the very core of the game. It's this simple, and that game is a glaring cautionary tale for every dev.
    because i win.

I don't think discussing (possible future) exploits is a productive thing.

But to (kind of) answer your question you should take a very, very good look at DayZ to see that anything and everything that's client side can and will be exploited/hacked. Most of DayZ is (was) client side, and most of DayZ is hacked even if that kills the very core of the game. It's this simple, and that game is a glaring cautionary tale for every dev.
    No offence intended but I had enough of crazy.

haters gonna hate.

↑↑↓↓ ← → ← → B A
    Ducking one's head in the sand has been historically a great way to "solve issues", I give you that.
    because i win.

Quote Originally Posted by sidana View Post
    ducking one's head in the sand has been historically a great way to "solve issues", i give you that.
    ok.

haters gonna hate.

Why do we even need assist heals?

Assist totaly ruins mass combat for me.

50 people show up and all shot at one guy when 50 are comming? That's not what tactical gameplay is all about.

It should be 50 vs 50 not 50 vs 1 and 50 vs 1.

Imagine a gigantic free for all that would happen without assist? Oh teh galore and involuantary butt sechs...

That is why assist needs removing.

As for pvm raids? How hard is it to call targets? Any caller can do it, why can't normal people?
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Quote Originally Posted by Georgesmith View Post
    Why do we even need assist heals?

Assist totaly ruins mass combat for me.

50 people show up and all shot at one guy when 50 are comming? That's not what tactical gameplay is all about.

It should be 50 vs 50 not 50 vs 1 and 50 vs 1.

Imagine a gigantic free for all that would happen without assist? Oh teh galore and involuantary butt sechs...

That is why assist needs removing.

As for pvm raids? How hard is it to call targets? Any caller can do it, why can't normal people?
    The point that was argued earlier is that you can "block" specific types of assist to address some concerns that players are having in mass pvp and assist. Further to that, it wouldn't harm PvM because many people rely on assist in PvM when farming due to a lower level of population atm. Even if the code would be ancient, historic, or down right cryptic, imho it wouldn't take years to add conditions to the assist routine.

haters gonna hate.

People rely on assist because they're lazy.

let's break this down.

1.assist is not necessary for anything in game.
    2.assist totally breaks mass pvp.
    3.assist has some usefulness in non-pvp settings.

while i think it is good constructive behaviour to think about these uses and suggest alterations not effecting them, i do not see an argument that would forbid the complete removal of assist. no raid will fail because of it, no encounter will be undoable without assist. will people miss it? yes. will some pvming be harder? yes. does all that mean we have to keep it? no.

don't get me wrong, i'd be all for a solution to remove it in a way gargle suggested or similar. but at the end of the day if that is not possible, and i highly doubt fc is capable of doing anything but a removal, it is my opinion to just remove it. period.

Quote Originally Posted by Xootch View Post
    let's break this down.

1.assist is not necessary for anything in game.
    2.assist totally breaks mass pvp.
    3.assist has some usefulness in non-pvp settings.

while i think it is good constructive behaviour to think about these uses and suggest alterations not effecting them, i do not see an argument that would forbid the complete removal of assist. no raid will fail because of it, no encounter will be undoable without assist. will people miss it? yes. will some pvming be harder? yes. does all that mean we have to keep it? no.

don't get me wrong, i'd be all for a solution to remove it in a way gargle suggested or similar. but at the end of the day if that is not possible, and i highly doubt fc is capable of doing anything but a removal, it is my opinion to just remove it. period.
    I was pretty opposed to removing assist in pvm, but I think you might just have me convinced. Removing assist in pvm might actually be a better way to make the game harder than tons of wtfpwn nerfs.

Poor man's assist: switch to the mob that's dying fastest.
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast