Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with Implants? Turn to... <drumroll>

Wink Saetos's Implant Guide

Saetos's Guide to Implants ... for the Newbie in All of Us

This little blob of text shows you the how, the when, the why, and the who about implants and all related. Comments? Questions? Threats? Reply!!!

= introduction =

Implants. "The" tool of many a player who wants to get their butt off the ground and start leveling without feeling like a total gimp. The tool to squeeze into that next heal, that next nuke, next weapon, that omgwtfpwn warbot that'll cream Aztur the Immortal, whatever. If it has a requirement, it can be raised with these lovely items. This guide will show you the ropes, the know-how, the knowledge you need to acquire to get those things under your skin.

= "wtf are implants?" =

Implants are items used to further increase your skills. They are placed under the skin and augment the body's abilities. In your wear window (CTRL-1) you have thirteen seperate slots for implants, named after certain body parts they would go in. To install them, you use a Surgery Clinic, found in almost all major shops scattered around Rubi-Ka.

These are what four of them look like. They'll have names similar to the actual name:
    Head slot implant
    Eye slot implant
    Ear slot implant
    Right arm mplant

When you first find an implant, they usually have no clusters in them. "Clusters" are the main items that fit into implants to increase your skills. One of each type (Shining, Bright, and Faded) can go into the implant depicted on the cluster (so a 1h Edged Weapon Cluster - Bright (Right-Wrist) would go into the "Bright" slot of a Right-Wrist implant). All implants require Treatment skill and one of the six main abilities (Strength, Agility, Stamina, Sense, Psychic, and Intelligence).

= a little more in depth =

Implants (and clusters) can all be bought in major basic shops, such as Rome Blue Basic (or Fair Trade for you clan- or neutral-sided players). In the basic shop, implants you buy there already have clusters inside them, so there is no need to install the clusters. Empty "augmentations" and clusters can be looted off of random mobs in some cases. The basic shops that sell filled implants have them sorted into booths based on the profession that would best use it. However, this does not mean it would be impossible for your enforcer to nick a chest implant from the doctor booth and install it, because all filled implants have only the Treatment + main ability requirements; they are never profession specific.

Filled implants from the implant booths are sorted not only by body part but by quality level, ranging from 10 to 20 to 30, 50, 75, and ql100. After that, you must make/hunt your own implants.

They all require Treatment and one of the six core abilities (Stamina, Strength, Psychic, Intelligence, Sense, and Agility). There is a formula for main ability requirements, dependant on the ql of the implant. It goes like such: [ req = QL x 2 + 4 ]. So a ql20 needs (20x2+4), or 44 of a main ability, and a ql150 would need 304.

= them goddang shades =

The one other requirement an implant has is Not == Shade. Shades have their own form of implants, named Spirits, dropped off of Spirit mobs in the Shadowlands. They have Agility and Sense requirements (not Treatment), but they also have level requirements, so twinking into them isn't exactly possible. Spirits are installed the same way as implants are, but without the hassle of surgery clinics, meaning you can loot, plop in, and race off.

= "but my skills are too low!" =

Luckily, there are a ton of ways to bring your skills up.

+ Treatment +

The granddaddy of them all, the maestro of the treatment raisers is this beauty: Superior First Aid. This ql119 Doctor nano takes up 37 NCU and buffs treatment by a whopping eighty. That's right. Eighty. Eight zero. Veterans take this nano to such high stantards that doctors are asked almost constantly for this piece of implant nirvana.

A lesser-known nano is an adventurer nano, called Robust Treatment. It takes 42 NCU. I wouldn't consider using this unless you seem to find hoards of adventures in your search spots, because, even though you can have both this and Treatment Expertise (+20) in your NCU to achieve the +80 that SFA gives, that's a total of 46 NCU for the same amount Superior First Aid can increase for 37 NCU.

Another famous item - or rather set of items - is the Omni-Med Suit (known as the medsuit.) They can only be bought in Omni Basic Shops, so for you clan-aligned people, you will need to go to somewhere like Borealis and spam the shopping channel for one of these, because this thing is golden. This suit has no helmet.

The Omni-Med Suit Boots add [ 6 ] to Treatment
    The Omni-Med Suit Gloves add [ 10 ] to Treatment
    The Omni-Med Suit Shirt (female and ... otherwise version) add [ 20 ] to Treatment
    The Omni-Med Suit Skirt/Trousers add [ 14 ] to Treatment
    The Omni-Med Suit Sleeves each add [ 14 ] to Treatment
    adding 78 total treatment.

Sometimes you will see low-level docs using this as their first armor set. While adding no AC's, this suit also adds First Aid, equal to Treatment bonuses (so Shirt will add 20 First Aid), which helps them in most cases give them the ability to use ql20 stims at level two, which at that level would refill the entire HP bar.

Speaking of armor, the Biomech Helmet also adds to Treatment, and is availible from ql75 to 200. ql75 needs 211 Psychic and 193 Stamina to wield, while ql200 needs 551/500 to PSY and STA, respectively. Play around with this link to find out how much you can increase your skills with the helmet, and what you need to equip it. C'mon, exercise that mouse and find out more!!!11! <cough>

And then you get this.

In the description it says that it is "a fairly average weapon." Average? 8 Stamina and 10 Treatment ain't average to me.

Treatment Expertise, of course, adds 20 Treatment. It stacks with all treatment buffs listed here.

Lastly, Surgery Clinic adds 100 Treatment.

For more information on buffing your treatment skills, turn to Pyro's Treatment Guide. Thanks to HurfBurf for providing the link.

+ Strength +

Prodigious Strength. Ohmigod. If you think you can live without this, good luck. +40 Strength is ev0l, pure and simple. Enforcer nano, 42 NCU.

+ Strength & Stamina +

Another piece of Enforcer nirvana, coming this time in the form of Essence of Behemoth. Only needs 47 NCU, to add 27 to both STR and STA. Godly, and most would agree. This is actually part of an entire nanoline for the enforcer profession, with behemoth being the highest.

Another nano for this category is Iron Circle. Doctor nano, 26 NCU. Gives +20 to STR and STA, but requires you to be in the doctor's team. Does not stack with Prodigious Strength.

Now we delve into items. Concrete Cushion. These go for steep prices; you might have to have a spare 300.000 for a pair of quality level 10's, the best kind. Concrete Cushions at ql160 give 20 to STR/STA, but have insane 1hb requirements.

+ Agility +

Now we get into some agent love with this 17 NCU nano, known as Feline Grace. Find the tiniest person in Borealis and start asking away

This rifle gives a hearty 15 Rifle skill... and 8 Agility. Hopefully you've spared some nice IP for the 121 Rifle it needs. Also a pretty expensive item. I believe it's 4-500k for one of these, I'm not sure.

+ Intelligence +

For intelligence, we have a nice little pistol named Second-Hand Old English Trading Co.. This indeed goes all the way down to ql1, and from QL1-69 they will give a nice 5 intelligence. Higher versions give more in increments of five. They can be dual-wielded. These, like the agility rifle above, are expensive as well - consider oneself lucky if you can pay 200k for a pair of ql1's.

+ Intelligence & Psychic +

Nano-Technicians get some love in this category with Neuronal Stimulator. Find an NT that isn't kiting (just kidding ) and ask them for this if you need the +20. You need the Shadowlands expansion for this to land on you, plus 7 free NCU.

Bureaucrats can help you out as well; this nano, Improved Cut Red Tape, is ql159, and not only does it add 3 intelligence and psychic, it adds tons of other skills.

For items, we get into a very popular one named Virral Triumvirate Egg. You may wield two of these, in the shoulder slots. Adding to INT and PSY (and requiring it as well), this is one of the most expensive items in the game. If you want to do it yourself, head on over to this guide that will show you how to make one if you can't fork over the X million credits you'll need to buy one.

The Shades of Lucubration add 30 each to Intelligence and Psychic. You must be nanomage and have a CompLit rating of 166 to equip these. Either you can buy them ... or wait for Mick McMullet to reset his 18-hour spawntimer, and kill him (which has been proven extremely tough) for a 5-10% droprate of these shades. If you have money to burn and no ammo, I'd recommend buying it. Now. ^.^

+ Sense +

Lastly, we have Enhanced Senses, which adds 15 to sense and also adds an opportunity to get that implant smacked in. Agents can cast this, so, once again, find a midget in Borealis and ask away (the midget thing is due to Agent's Ruse of Taren line, which reduces their size and adds concealment skill)

+ All Six +

A technique veteran players use is called laddering, which is the process of putting implants to buff your abilities (or so anarchyarcanum says, "implanting implants to implant implants"). The best way to describe it is if you need an ability to get into your implant and you're missing out, you build or find an implant that adds to that ability. A sort of mini-guide to this process (created by Covenant) is here.

Don't forget your normal ability boosts that add twelve each. That's a ton of NCU, though... 24 in fact. Is there an easier way? Yes there is...

= composite attribute boost =

This extremely lovely nano boosts every single core ability (Strength, Stamina... you know the drill) by twelve each. It stacks with every buff mentioned. First one lasts for one hour, then two, four, and finally 8. Good luck finding an 8 hour nano; it can only be bought in Inferno gardens.

= "42 ncu?!? I don't even have 9!!!" =

This section is devoted to raising your NCU to fit all these buffs.
    This is where we call upon the Fixer profession to serve ... I mean ... help us with our goal, via their NCU buff line. Ask nicely - I got 500.000 because someone thought I "seemed nice" when asking for one of these.

Anyways... the listings.

Retool NCU adds 40 NCU. You need to be LVL 25 for this to be casted on you.
    Jury-Rigged NCU Analyzer adds 60 NCU. You need to be LVL 50 for this to be casted on you.
    Deck Recoder adds 85 NCU. You need to be LVL 75 for this to be casted on you.
    Recompiling NCU Analyzer adds 110 NCU. You need to be LVL 125 for this to be casted on you.
    QuarkStor NCU Core adds 150 NCU. You need to be LVL 145 for this to be casted on you.
    Active Viral Compressor adds 195 NCU. You need to be LVL 175 for this to be casted on you.
    And finally:
    Sentinent Viral Recoder adds 250 NCU. You need to be LVL 195 for this to be casted on you.

The level requirements for all these nanos are equivalent to the level requirement of the Fixer casting it (sans Quarkstor NCU Core and higher; level requirements for the caster are ten levels lower than what you need to be). So don't ask a lvl24 Fixer for Retool NCU, as it just won't work.

Need just a wee extra? Get some Carbonum Armor, which adds a small amount of NCU per piece, and has some decent AC's if you permanently want to walk around in it.

= conclusion =

Well, nothing much else to say, other than knowing that there's another door of opportunity to go through in further leveling your character. Hey... what are you waiting for? Log on and get grafting!!!
    Last edited by Saetos; Dec 30th, 2005 at 02:34:32.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

not bad.

wtb thread warp to New Arrivals
    "If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please', I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'."

SirNegs - Neutral Keeper
    Negs - Neutral MP
    Lode - Neutral Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by SirNegs
    not bad.

wtb thread warp to New Arrivals
    I was actually thinking about the New Arrivals thingy.

I agree with SirNegs, might as well Beacon Warp this guide

There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Im Mostly Robotic Now Thanks To Implants!!! Thanks Implant Guide!

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos
    [Size=5][u]Another famous item - or rather set of items - is the Omni-Med Suit (known as the medsuit.) They can only be bought in Omni Basic Shops, so for you clan-aligned people, you will need to go to somewhere like Borealis and hunt one of these down from people, because this thing is golden. This suit has no helmet.
    Nice guide.

A couple things. First, the medsuit parts can be missioned (Clicksaver is your friend!). Second, if you can, get a Biomech helmet; they give + Treatment (since there is no medsuit headpiece.

There are lots of ways to buff treatment that you don't mention (expertise, treatment library, garden/sanctuary keys, physician's cap, etc.). You also left out the concept of laddering implants (equiping temporary implants in order to be able to equip other implants, etc.).
    Finne, Keeper 92/2, Omni, rk2
    Gabrel, Doctor 38/2, Omni, rk2

And then there's the Biomech cloak that adds to treatment as well. (And it don't clash with the Physician's Cap.)
    I'm not too sure what QL-range the Biomech covers, I don't recall seeing parts lower than 90ish, if that low.
    Tempus fugit.

Everybody has a photographic memory.
    Some don't have film.

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's best not to stir it.
    -PHB/Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jokzer
    I'm not too sure what QL-range the Biomech covers, I don't recall seeing parts lower than 90ish, if that low.
    QL75-200
    Ranging from +4 to +10 treatment
    Revelator: There is no FC love that will fix gimpness of the mind

Warning! If you ever see my use "lol" in any of my posts, I'm not serious!

Quote Originally Posted by Malifia
    There are lots of ways to buff treatment that you don't mention (expertise, treatment library, garden/sanctuary keys, physician's cap, etc.). You also left out the concept of laddering implants (equiping temporary implants in order to be able to equip other implants, etc.).
    Thanks for the tip. Although, this is more of a new-to-the-game kind of guide, although things like expertises will definately be placed. Sanctuary keys I wasn't aware of, but not sure about adding it on the presumption that most new players have no idea about the key quest. I thank you all however for the great advice, keep it rolling, and get this guide rooted or at least Beaconed to New Arrivals

this is the treatment twinking thread

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=225703
    Numbfreeze, 208 NT Numbfreeze's Stuff (auno) Numbfreeze's Stuff (aodb)

Quote Originally Posted by fc_ProXimA
    I've only tested this with the server in the next room at a 100mbit connection, wihtout anybody else on the server.

Quote Originally Posted by HurfBurf
    this is the treatment twinking thread

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=225703
    Twinking thread added to main guide, credits to Pyro and Hurfburf (not THOSE credits, now stop spamming me!!! j/k)

For str/sta, doctor's have Enlarge (+10/+10) and Iron Circle aka IC (+20/+20), neither stack with Prodigious Strength, but they do stack with Essences (and remember there are more NCU friendly essences that add less). Oh, and Iron Circle requires you to be teamed with the doc.

And MAs also have a str buffs (Muscle Stim +12 and Muscle Booster +25), but again they doesn't stack with Prodigious Strength, Iron Circle or Enlarge.

And of course, there are these for another +8/+8 str/sta each (can wield 2 for +16/+16).
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbane
    For str/sta, doctor's have Enlarge (+10/+10) and Iron Circle aka IC (+20/+20), neither stack with Prodigious Strength, but they do stack with Essences (and remember there are more NCU friendly essences that add less). Oh, and Iron Circle requires you to be teamed with the doc.

And MAs also have a str buffs (Muscle Stim +12 and Muscle Booster +25), but again they doesn't stack with Prodigious Strength, Iron Circle or Enlarge.

And of course, there are these for another +8/+8 str/sta each (can wield 2 for +16/+16).
    Added. Thanks a bunch, Darkbane

Guide has been colorized and updatedized. Check it out!

Treatment expertise does actually stack with SFA by the way
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Grumpy "Siorai" Oldgit - 220.25 Clan Atrox Doctor - Screenshot - Equip (old)

First trox doc on RK1 using Blades of Boltar.

My Spirit Shroud Hell - Over 1400 kills with no drop.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Dromyrdraal
    Treatment expertise does actually stack with SFA by the way
    Some doc I met said that it didn't, and since she didn't have the nano ANYWAYS she had an advie friend of hers buff me with Robust + TE.
    But, I'll look into it, and if it does, it's going on this guide

Expertises stack with everything (well, except composite expertises... and proficiencies...)
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Might be you could post this at aowiki.net as well
    Alexander "Talan" Calnid
    Currently AFK, will see you all in a few months
    Advisor of Shattered Dreams ~ My Equipment ~ Bio ~ My AO-Journal
    Alts of Note: "Malta" Desan ~ Equip || Jiro "Stone" Yamato ~ Equip || Jane "Lustywench" Scarlet ~ Equip || Scape ~ Equip

Tsukts: Yeah... You were the naked perv in bor. lol
    Talan: yep that was me
    Tsukts: I still have nightmares about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos
    Treatment Expertise, of course, adds 20 Treatment. However it does NOT stack with SFA. It, however, stacks with Robust Treatment, as mentioned before.
    Meep! Wrong! Treatment Expertise stacks with everything.. thank goodness
    Besides that, this thread is pure gold for newbs! *BUMPz* for sticky
    Marcos "Sisyphos" Bacarella - lvl 220 Enforcer 2HB *slam* *hack*
    Prof. Steven "Techleet" Falken - lvl 220 Engineer *solder* *screw* *BOOM*
    and the cuddly leet family -=(DNW miss yoo!)=-
    Through the ranks of the Unbeliever we shall move, creating a river of blood as we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaoleet
    Meep! Wrong! Treatment Expertise stacks with everything.. thank goodness
    Besides that, this thread is pure gold for newbs! *BUMPz* for sticky
    _Finally_ updated the post, and if you'll notice you'll see that you and two other people's wishes have been... granted... grudgingly... sorrowfully... and now I must cry in a corner

On a serious note, thanks for the TE+SFA posts. Updated, so check it out!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast