Thread: Note from Game Director: Removing Ingots

I like ingots. Ely has become such an unpleasant cesspool of 'farmers' over the past few months that - even liking ingots as much as I do (and I have a kiting NT alt) - I welcome the ingot nerf.

I disagree that the economy is inflationary. That's another thread.

I hope that FC does something about introducing alternate sources of income to SL... preferably in areas that have instancing and require some skill ... so that talentless ebayed 'farmers' can't just jump in there and screw that up too.

However 'inflationary' people want to describe the player economy to be (let's see... VTE's used to go for 45 M [pre-SL], now they're 10-12 M... yep, that's some brutal inflation), the fixed costs of items in SL have not changed. It still costs up to 20 M to buy the high end nanos from their only source, the gardens.

Even with those fixed costs, removing ingots is worth it if just to purge the 24/7, RL 'farmers' from this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Lightbulb just a sugg.

how bout FC fixes the REAL problem people are having with the game, like LAG, constant crashing, etc... , instead of worrying about the game economy..

my last 2C on this subj.

Cheers

wow .... no really every one leave for wow :P

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonCopy
    I do wish FC would put some effort into interfering with outfits like this; it wouldn't take tooo much work to "sting" and ban enough of their accounts to make it not worth their while any more.
    Well (and I am speculating here) it isn't that simple. Seems there was one MMORPG who banned a big Ebay seller and he took them to court (this was in Korea IIRC) bottom line the game company lost big.(AGAIN IIRC)

Now, not sure if the same laws and rules apply to funcom however I am sure if these BIG EBay Sellers are making large chunks of cash they would roll the dice on a large lawsuit. With the way the internet works it is hard to tell how National Juisidiction would play into this.

Funcom is a European company but the servers are in the States. Sounds like maybe all kinds of complications could arrive just from those two items. Who's Laws apply? US or Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Kauh
    how bout FC fixes the REAL problem people are having with the game, like LAG, constant crashing, etc... , instead of worrying about the game economy..
    You don't think the economy is a REAL enough problem that is worthy of attention??? oO

It is a typical logical fallacy to imply that if FC addresses one issue it is somehow at the expense of all the others. Granted all changes require time and planning, but just because they fix one situation doesn't mean they can't fix others as well.

Thanks again FC for finally doing something about this.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    --------------------------------------------------
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by Dextar
    Funcom is a European company but the servers are in the States. Sounds like maybe all kinds of complications could arrive just from those two items. Who's Laws apply? US or Europe?
    Yea, and the ebay farmers are in God only knows what country. I can't imagine the nightmare of trying to prosecute such a case.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

~Lewis Carroll

Thumbs up

Great Job
    Steveo 220 Clan NT RK2
    Contagion 220 Clan Doc RK2

Proud wielder of the Pitchfork of Satenia

I can't see how someone who sells virtual stuff on ebay can take the company to a court!!! Especially when eula strictly prohibits this!
    "Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up."
    I am Luciesa - Octowuss - Ssupotco

still addicted since 2001-07-03 11:55:38

Thumbs up Woot!!

Wow I just spent an entire shift at work reading this thread, lol, seems this makes ppl mad or happy no inbetween, well not much

Now time to chime in my thoughts about a few things here.

Seems many ppl think this will not inflate the economy much, but because of the priniples of a capitalist economy it will have to or no selling of things will be taking place. FC is doing what they believe to be best to stop the greifing that is going on in ely, to stop Ingot farming without imploring credit sinks, which Znore has said he and the rest of the FC team do not like or do not even like considering.

Now seems some ppl who have been chiming in on this thread are incedibly cynic and you know who you are. This only helps AO not hurts it. Ingot farmers who disrupt play in Ely will be forced to go elsewhere.

I mean do we really need to make a list of things that can be done to make money.
    -Do missions kill all the mobs loot everything sell to the shops. This is slower leveling but will provide decent income as well.
    -Or just blitz for item to sell in shop and receive mission cash (slider all the way to cash)
    -Blitz items ppl want like concrete cushions
    -Blitz Nanos ppl want
    -Blitz Animas and Battle suits
    -Kill in static dungeons and loot Pearls and Coral and sell it to the shop.
    -Offer buffs for Tips at yor local hang out, they are abi;ities you have earned.
    -Clanners Sell looting rights to Scheol insigs to Omni, Omni do same to Clan and neuts **** em all on pric...I mean give the better deal.
    -Sell t1 visions/embryoes.
    -Make items ppl want like treatment clinics, Perennium Weapons, Implants, ect and sell them.
    -When someone says they are paying for a buff in Shopping channel run there and give to them if you are free and doing nothing special.
    -Get Patterns from Nas/Ely/Scheol sell to shop or turn to PBs and sell or kill and sell Symbs
    -Sell bags of token guns
    -Charge to kite/tank level for ppl.
    -Buy low sell high....j/k ing the list goes on and on and on.........

Some things that would be great to be implamented.

Implants aren't to hard to understand but they are very confusing for new players, a terminal that you select the ql the shiny, bright and faded cluster then the type and out pop an imp at a decently inflated convient price.

What really needs to be allowed or implamented is a to be able to buy items from AI player shops directly from the GMS, its really good idea in my opinion and will save ppl the time to have to run out to player cities and all that not laziness per say but less effort just to buy something from someone.

The ability to be in a team with someone and go to their orgs city would be awesome IMO.

Something that will help with inflation is reducing 18 hour Unique Mob spawn rates to lower prices on items they drop.

These things that make the game easier to learn and play draws in new people.

Anyway you guys get the point, but some things being made more convient would really be handy to the luring power of AO, but FC really listens to the players well, maybe some of my ideas could be implemented if enough ppl supported it, cause they seem like reasonable ideas.

Bye bye everyone have fun and happy gaming.
    Jynx

Well (and I am speculating here) it isn't that simple. Seems there was one MMORPG who banned a big Ebay seller and he took them to court (this was in Korea IIRC) bottom line the game company lost big.(AGAIN IIRC)

Now, not sure if the same laws and rules apply to funcom however I am sure if these BIG EBay Sellers are making large chunks of cash they would roll the dice on a large lawsuit.
    You may not transfer any Funcom intellectual property including characters, items, coin or copyrighted material based on any sale outside the ingame economy, this includes giving mentioned Funcom intellectual property away as incentives or "freebies" to a sale. You may not sell, buy or auction any Funcom characters, items, coin or copyrighted material.

FC covered their bases on ebaying in the EULA. If you do it, you're in breach of contract. You have no rights.

18. This Agreement is governed in all respects by the laws of the State of New York as such laws applied to agreements entered into and to be performed entirely within New York between New York residents. The UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods is expressly disclaimed. Both parties submit to personal jurisdiction in New York and further agree that any cause of action relating to this Agreement shall be brought in a court in New York County, New York.

I think that about covers it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jynx
    The ability to be in a team with someone and go to their orgs city would be awesome IMO.

You can. Some orgs already use this to have ambassadors from other orgs at their meetings in their HQ. I know I've done it before numerous times.

*edit* or were you referring to the ability to grid there? Because that would really help AI raids...

.........--------O
    ......../.......\....
    ..___/..........\_. /prostrate

Thank the Lord for this change
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

This is the best thing to happen to AO since the Notum Wars booster pack (imo)!

Goodbye Hhli, Kogohim, Aogirls, Imdikiki, Playboykk, Angelyr, Goodman, Aodoc, Kasc, Yuuejdkg3, Badman001!

<3 Znore
    ¤ League of Legends - 68WM1 ¤

My PvP policy: If you can't beat 'em, annoy 'em!

Question: Will this lower the prices of Lead Viral Bots? Will This lower the prices of Living Dragonskin Breatplates? Will This lower the prices of Robust backpacks?

Answer Not a chance in hell.

Certain items will always be ridiculously expensive, regardless of how ridiculously difficult money is to acquire in the game. The correct solution is not to make money harder to get, it's to make money less important by making the loot easier to acquire (drop more often, etc.).

Hey! Is that a wall I'm talking to?
    "On the brink of the dark he stood, with only the dream of the cities, the million books, the spectral images of the people he had loved, who had loved him, whom he had known and lost. They will not come again. They never will come back again."

-Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938), Look Homeward, Angel

Quote Originally Posted by Hoops
    Question: Will this lower the prices of Lead Viral Bots? Will This lower the prices of Living Dragonskin Breatplates? Will This lower the prices of Robust backpacks?
    Answer Not a chance in hell.
    Although those items will naturally(and rightfully) be the most expensive, their price has fluctuated (and will continue to fluctuate) with the rest of the economy. I hate repeating myself, but lead viral bot prices for example have dropped drastically since last ingot nerf.

~Lewis Carroll

GJ FC at wasting your time with a useless patch. Many common people(people with lives) that dont play ao 24/7 spend about 1-3h on ao a day will have to spend that time farming money. Maybe making a mil if you suck at making money. So that means they will have to spend a few days just trying to pay for Kits and upgrading nanos. Everyone cant camp dynas due to there gimp armor and weapons and what newbie really knows what a dyna is?

Just like Ignot farming isnt the only place to get money HECKS arent the only way to level. Blitzing missions at lvl 75? what can you possibly get and even if some itmes are in that ql range what are the drop rates in this game friggin ridiculous. So notw players are spending time grinding just to barely get by. Yall talk about pre sl ways to make money but in pre sl days there werent Bots and all this AI and SL loot. You take away a form of making money but dont add a way to make money, thats smart.

I do think their needed to be a change going about ignots but yall went down the wrong yellow brick road on this one. GJ and making grinding even more longer than it already is. SMH on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kauh

my last 2C on this subj.

Cheers

Lag, crashing? where and when? If you have major problems with that, either fix your computer, or buy a new one. and if you dont want to buy a new computer, then pls stup complaining, I am personally getting tired of hearing people complaining about crashing, or lag... especually when i dont lag or crash... even during the biggest of AI raids. Usually the crashing is user based not server based unless it has to do with a new patch or some odd ball bug they got.

but on topic. THINK GOD FOR NERFING INGOTS. now maybe I can lvl my 100ish alts alittle bit. and not get KSed so often.

Quote Originally Posted by lordain
    tired of hearing people complaining about crashing, or lag... especually when i dont lag or crash...
    lol, I was with ya until this line -- what a selfish thing to say. It doesn't affect me, so who cares is basically what you're saying.

You never lag??? ever?? really?? Guess you've never gone to a 200+ tower battle.
    Last edited by Vlain; Oct 5th, 2005 at 03:21:30.

~Lewis Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by Znore
    We have evaluated various solutions to this issue actively seeking the one that will improve the games economical balance without reducing the player’s enjoyment factor. In the end we agreed to remove the one source introducing by far the largest sum of money to the game.
    -Znore
    I still think that the #1 problem by far is solo AI city farmers.

They make way more creds than any ingot farmer can.

They are exploiting (using the cities in ways they weren't meant to be) the structure of the game.

They are limiting people's enjoyment because not everyone has 300mil to buy 1 piece of alien armor... let alone afford a whole set.

Dont even get me started on idiots who "rent" their city to let people loot and get axp. You are such a disgrace to the game.

I would be so amazingly happy and love FC forever if they removed solo org raids... either by making city ownership by an org that has "xx" amount of AI upgraded characters or "xx" amount of _seperate_ (and no trial) accounts for an org to have a city ownership, or whatever other way FC can implement a system, I would love FC for doing this. Open up all the land taken from these idiots. Give little orgs their fair share at the axp they deserve, they did buy the expansions too. I'm not in any little orgs, in fact my Clan rk1 characters are in the #2 highest average level org on rk1 (along with having lots of members), but I recognize the need to fix such issues and give everyone a fair share at what they deserve. Take this disgrace out of the game.

Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast