Thread: Thinking ahead

Thinking ahead

Hey

I am a returning member. Before I took this game off my computer last time, I had several alts, and no really strong character (all under level 100). I realise this is maybe why I put the game down.

I ask you, what profession would I enjoy leveling up, and more importantly, which profession would be most useful at later levels? I am, not at this point, considering using this character in PvP. I am wondering which profession would be most useful, financially to a possible twink that I could create after this one is a reasonably high level. Money is not my only concern here. I am interested in knowing which profession could solo well at higher levels, and could be useful to my organization, and other characters, buff-wise.

At this point I am leaning towards a doctor, but would like the hear the arguement for a 175+ level MP, in soloing, and non-combat usefulness.
    Last edited by GForce; Jan 24th, 2007 at 13:11:00.

Cant go rong with adventure or MA.

220 Dictator & Adept
    220 Field Marshal & Talented
    216 Eternalist & Adept
    204 Saint & Intermediate

--Total Levels Gained--
    Rubi-Ka: 2000+ | Shadow: 50+ | Alien: 40+ | Very old Member of the Grumpy Old Crat Bunch

Do not have high soloing expectations for an MP. I don't play one, but I do know that I never have seen them soloing in inferno and that they are all collectively unhappy right now with their lot in life. Doctor is a long trip to the top but it feels great to hit the summit and suddenly realize how capable you are when soloing.

Here are the professions I have seen soloing in inferno with success many times:
    -Doctor
    -Adventurer
    -MA
    -Shade

I have also seen soldiers, agents, keepers and others do well too but the 4 listed above are what I see most often.

Thanks for the input. I still think I am going to go with a doctor, but additional suggestions would be apprieciated.

Off topic:
    I am just putting these patches back in. It takes so long... is Funcom planning to update the client download, to include all the patches up to Lost Eden at least?

Fixers are fun PvP'ers and we run really fast :-D

My highest toon is a level 206 MP -- strictly in terms of making money, I couldn't be happier with her, she finances a whole fleet of other alts, including a twinkie-ish 150 doc that's wearing something sickening like 300m in gear/symbs, as well as paying for her *own* T3, which from start to finish was another ~300m. So a high level MP can definitely support lower-level twinks. (And we aren't ALL unhappy with our lot; I love my MP and think she's a very capable toon, never have a problem finding teams, feel extremely useful to my org in terms of buffing/helping lower toons advance to certain areas and/or farm items, and I look fantastic doing it. )

As for playability, especially soloability, she's strictly middle-of-the-road. MPs absolutely RULE at soloing in that 105-130ish range when you can do level 200 missions because of Caco, but it's all downhill from there, pet-wise. Docs can solo just about everything apparently, but it's worth mentioning that it can take a fair amount of time, hehe.

As the first toon you'll be leveling so high, my first instinct is to recommend Advie -- but with that said, if you want to play a Doc then you SHOULD play a doc. Because otherwise you won't enjoy yourself as much.
    Dogeared: their fix will probably eliminate the 'sploit that allows you to pass through ''doors'' from one playfield to another. <-- zomg, she was right!

MPs, if twinked right at high levels, can OD the best of 'em. 2he MPs for teh win.

docs are arguebly the best solo'rs though (or were, before i quit). just took aons to kill anything. lol.
    RK1
    "Send Pics Plz". Meta-Wha? Noodz plz. 83/8.
    "Eye Makeshiz Foryou". Pimpin' Eng Of Doom. he's the SHIZ. 174/18.
    "Jack Grafter Torrence". I Like To Boom Boom Booooom. 220/zomg. AI30! .

RK2
    "Perk Grafter Reset". 216/22. RK2's Retired Bukkake Doc. idle since 2007.
    "Perk Graftor Reset". 142/15. RK2's Retired Pvp Doc idle since 2006

It only takes a doc as long as his kit needs. Some docs solo at speeds you really wouldn't expect, but yes, the general statement that docs solo slowly is indeed true.

Doc is one of those classes that doesn't truly shine until later on. There are a couple of big gaps in heals, 90-175 with the same heal hurts, then 175-205 (the 175 heal outheals the 201 due to a longstandning bug with the 175). Once past 205 is when you start to get the warm fuzzy glow associated with the doc prof.

You'll have no trouble finding teams, but of course that also means you'll have no trouble finding bad teams, your pleasure will grow in direct correlation with the growth of your friends list, so that you begin logging on to the sight of instant tells from people requesting you for teams, which is nice.

In terms of money making doc probably isnt the fastest. I made creds by hosting aliumz raids, once you get a few good tanks in your friends list it's just a matter of filling the remaining spots and praying for lead bots.

But of course the biggest single bonus about playing doc is that you're never left sitting in the garden cursing the lack of docs
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Grumpy "Siorai" Oldgit - 220.25 Clan Atrox Doctor - Screenshot - Equip (old)

First trox doc on RK1 using Blades of Boltar.

My Spirit Shroud Hell - Over 1400 kills with no drop.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

started several docs and the problem i always have is getting them started. I know once i get going leveling will be np at all. Gotta reccommend an enf as fun early on but they have a bad spot 150-205. Adv is far a nd away the easiest to play and solo level with:0
    Warfaring 220/24 semi-retired through lack of need trox enf General of Avatars Reloaded
    Deathbycider 220/19 soli adv
    ninjawarf 138/8 opi ma
    warfengine 84/2 soli engy
    dwarfaring 44/2 trox agent
    lebensraum 60/2 trox sol
    shilbilly 190/9 nano mp Ci and cm whore
    pumpfaring 40/2 trox trader
    screwfly 32 opi shade
    septicsid 25 soli doc
    mastawarfa 25 nm nt
    Always expanding the empire!

I think you may also want to look into something that can do some basic tradeskills to help your lowbie alts. It's a joy to make your own implants without having to track someone down or hope your TS friend isn't busy or altting or offline or whatever. While engineer is seen as the best endgame tradeskiller, there is pressure to use outside buffs to cast much higher pets. Therefore, I think the MP will do well enough for the basics and be able to buff themselves up to cast high pets and also buff your lowbie alts when the need arises.
    Udon (doctor), Koyangi (trader), Jajangmyun (adventurer) of Shattered Dreams of Rimor. [website]

(now in order of play/activity! along with some other lowbie alts.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jajangmyun View Post
    I think you may also want to look into something that can do some basic tradeskills to help your lowbie alts. It's a joy to make your own implants without having to track someone down or hope your TS friend isn't busy or altting or offline or whatever. While engineer is seen as the best endgame tradeskiller, there is pressure to use outside buffs to cast much higher pets. Therefore, I think the MP will do well enough for the basics and be able to buff themselves up to cast high pets and also buff your lowbie alts when the need arises.
    I would have rather gone with a trader for that purpose, that have better tradeskills and theri wrangles effect weapon skills along with nano skills, traders might be harder to getup to the needed level, but i think its worth it compared to MP's
    Gender 'Blackdog' Bender 220/26 Soldier
    Den 'Beskyddaren' Utvalde
    220/18 Keeper
    Kane 'Blacrat' Lives 218/15 Bureaucrat
    Bleeding 'Rofflewaffle' Screaming 180/13 Shade
    Den 'Tempelherren' Trofaste 165/19Fixer

My AO vids:
    Boom! Aimedshot!
    Still Online!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I would have rather gone with a trader for that purpose, that have better tradeskills and theri wrangles effect weapon skills along with nano skills, traders might be harder to getup to the needed level, but i think its worth it compared to MP's
    I think overall the MP buffs are more useful to leveling lowbie alts because you can buff yourself with Composites for 4 hrs and use higher nanos. I do not discount the usefulness of trader buffs and whatnot to help lowbie alts (I have one myself), but while a trader is needed now and then to wrangle into higher weapons or engie pets (not necessarily MP pets since you need to recast those compared to engie pets) and maybe the trader shop. But the MP can buff your nano skills for longer (either so you can use higher weapons-buffing nanos yourself or other nanos that help you live longer). And traders don't have the IP to tradeskill at least until 160ish, before then you need the IP to focus on surviving, imho.

Ideally, if you really had the inclination, roll an MP, an engie, and a trader together. haha. Trader can be on froob account. But that's likely getting beyond the usual scope of things for most new players.
    Udon (doctor), Koyangi (trader), Jajangmyun (adventurer) of Shattered Dreams of Rimor. [website]

(now in order of play/activity! along with some other lowbie alts.)