Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate/Consolidated Engineer breed choice guide

I don't think I raised nanopool since I was level 160 as a solitus engi, since there are alot of items that give bonuses for it. I think at the time I was also using mobius aruls to get some extra health and nano to make an easier time of bot casting and buffing without dragging the team down. When I picked up my Comfort around level 212 I have had more nano then I know what to do with.

Health/body dev is much more important to me right now since I am getting to the point where I can OD my bot and get aggro when soloing or possibly even in teams. The assumption that I wont ever get aggro that I used from level 1 to level 210 doesn't really hold true any more.
    Angel "Berael" Wolf - 220/22 Solitus Engineer RP Profile
    Advisor of Wolf Brigade, A Proud Neutral Organization

AOwiki - A chance to show what you know.
    Hunting Grounds Neutral Neck Items Tradeskill Pricing v3.0 Roleplaying Organizations v2.0 (RK1)

"The world will not evolve past its current state of crisis by using the same thinking that created the situation" - Albert Einstein
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." - Charles Darwin

I'm surprised there are so few real comments to my "guide", I thought people will argue about this
    RK1:220/30 Alicia "Muhandes" Jolt General of Destiny. My setup/A quick screenshot
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    "Guides": 210 symbs before 170, 220 symbs before 180, NM Engi Twinking 205, 210, 215, 220.
    WTB ql150 weapons, Grand Armbands, Eye of the Evening Star.

Quote Originally Posted by muha
    I'm surprised there are so few real comments to my "guide", I thought people will argue about this
    Good thing about guides.. They are not written in stone and can be disregarded when one chooses.

Also, great thing about guides is that they are there to help afford people the opportunity to see how things may affect them before they start a class.

The opnions you've expressed in the guide (not many, but a few) are sound. Even if I thought you totally sucked at being the class proffessional, I would still be hard-pressed to argue sound opinions. (note - meant as a point of reference)
    ** I don't do typo's, I am just testing your knowledge of Vocabulary.
    ** How do you know you cannot achieve something if you never personally try it?
    Zzart 207 NM Eng
    SoldierZzart 220 Atrox Soldier

.. and every time I log on my engineer, I cry for making my breedchoice so blindly.

.. and every time I log off and close AO, I cry because I know my endgame will be hell and doomd.

.. yet I find myself playing with my engineer. I'm ashamed of myself .. that big looking robot just stole my heart. Damit! ..
    Server: Rimor (Rubi-Ka 2) - Omni Loyal and Northern Star lurker

Kuolematon - MP (NM)

Achiever 60% / Socializer 53% / Killer 46% / Explorer 40% - ASK. 3% of respondents so far fall into that type.

I ammended the Atrox section a bit
    RK1:220/30 Alicia "Muhandes" Jolt General of Destiny. My setup/A quick screenshot
    "Guides": 210 symbs before 170, 220 symbs before 180, NM Engi Twinking 205, 210, 215, 220.

In my opinion, the major thing that makes the Solitus stand out is that they have FAR AND AWAY the best Genome perks and Shadowbreed (omni at least) of any breed for engi. Survival adds a good amount of healing, something we really lack, and hacky tack is also usefull if you get enough AL. IMO this makes Solitus better than Trox in endgame PvP (as I see MR being kind of useless for engi's, as it would probably be difficult to time the demo perks with MR since they're layered - and Wit is useless for engis in pvp) .
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Now please, go hide into empty can of tomato juice, mail yourself to Mexico, and dont forget to write on a package "i'm looking for a clue".
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    Seriously, did you think before posting, or did ... you just [smash] your face into the keyboard a few times then hit Submit?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricate
    In my opinion, the major thing that makes the Solitus stand out is that they have FAR AND AWAY the best Genome perks and Shadowbreed (omni at least) of any breed for engi. Survival adds a good amount of healing, something we really lack, and hacky tack is also usefull if you get enough AL. IMO this makes Solitus better than Trox in endgame PvP (as I see MR being kind of useless for engi's, as it would probably be difficult to time the demo perks with MR since they're layered - and Wit is useless for engis in pvp) .
    I'm not sure about better, as HP is important, and so is being able to easily hotswap merc and arith. I did ammend the guide to include your comments, and put both atrox and soli as good endgame PvP options.

Also you said that Opi's are at a dissadvantage due to less HP, but its actually a tiny difference. At 220, the difference in HP of an Opi Engi and Soli Engi is like 240 points or something like that. Really a small difference cus they both still get their 3 points of HP per BodyDev.

Quote Originally Posted by EldarZach
    Also you said that Opi's are at a dissadvantage due to less HP, but its actually a tiny difference. At 220, the difference in HP of an Opi Engi and Soli Engi is like 240 points or something like that. Really a small difference cus they both still get their 3 points of HP per BodyDev.
    I know, I never meant for it to sound like a big disadvantage. I ammended the wording a bit.

if i'm correct opifex is the best breed also for ma engy , cause of ma being based on 50% on agil , also cheaper on the ip side i think?

trox might be better in the beginning being a ma engy, due to health advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromachina
    If hitpoints are a major factor at early levels, you might be playing your engi wrong.
    When I make mistakes, I use a lot of salt,
    cause salt makes m'steaks taste great!

Beornin - The original Shotgun Adv
    Obsessive - First 220 Trox Engi
    Euthanizer - Reanimated NT

Quote Originally Posted by Necromachina
    if i'm correct opifex is the best breed also for ma engy , cause of ma being based on 50% on agil , also cheaper on the ip side i think?

My guess would be that an MA engi, fighting in close range and getting more agro, will depend more on health on any level. Any MA engi can comment on that?

Solitus:
    Pros:
    Decent HP.
    Good enough nano skills.
    Easiest to equip endgame symbs.

Cons:
    Good endgame perks for PvP.
    hehe....that's an awful con, i don't know how the Solis deal with it

Quote Originally Posted by Bleodemm
    hehe....that's an awful con, i don't know how the Solis deal with it
    woops, fixed

An opi friend of mine mentioned that symb equiping is quite hard for him. This makes sense, but I would like to hear some feedback about it.

As for the second point, I added your opinion next to the description of MR. I think it doesn't matter the bottom line thought, that Atrox is the best breed for endgame PvP.
    I am really not sure about Atrox being a great breed for a pvp engie. I would take solitus over atrox any time for that. Mongo Rage is cool if you have an impressive alpha you need to get through. The successful pvp engies I know use rifles or energy carbines. AS hits every time, anyway, the bots do much/most of the damage in pvp.
    Solitus beta genome heals for around 3500 HP. I doubt an atrox has that much more HP than a solitus, and having lower HP and more healing has some real advantages in PvP - get hit for less but heal for more.
    Atrox sure rocks in pvp for other professions. Enfos, MAs, advies. But I do not see their advantage for us. I would go so far as to say that wit of the atrox is of greater use in pvp than mongo rage.
    Add to all this that MR has its greatest use against evadig professions, while we are already good at killing those. I have not that much experience with pvp myself, but MAs and shades seemed like the easiest opponents so far. Those and soldiers. I had my biggest probs with the professions that mess with our pets, like crats. I do not see how MR helps against those.
    My 2ct from aperson not so experienced in pvp. ^^
    Luuv lvl220/19/67 NM engie equip
    Spamheal lvl205/23 NM doc equip
    You might not believe it possible, but not all my toons are in my signature! *gasp*
    And yes, I always edit my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Luuv
    I am really not sure about Atrox being a great breed for a pvp engie. I would take solitus over atrox any time for that. Mongo Rage is cool if you have an impressive alpha you need to get through. The successful pvp engies I know use rifles or energy carbines. AS hits every time, anyway, the bots do much/most of the damage in pvp.
    Solitus beta genome heals for around 3500 HP. I doubt an atrox has that much more HP than a solitus, and having lower HP and more healing has some real advantages in PvP - get hit for less but heal for more.
    Atrox sure rocks in pvp for other professions. Enfos, MAs, advies. But I do not see their advantage for us. I would go so far as to say that wit of the atrox is of greater use in pvp than mongo rage.
    Add to all this that MR has its greatest use against evadig professions, while we are already good at killing those. I have not that much experience with pvp myself, but MAs and shades seemed like the easiest opponents so far. Those and soldiers. I had my biggest probs with the professions that mess with our pets, like crats. I do not see how MR helps against those.
    My 2ct from aperson not so experienced in pvp. ^^
    Luuv, why are you replying to an outdated post? This point was not only raised a few posts later, but also been incorporated into the guide some time ago.

Luuv is a compulsive postfarmer without much to contribute.

MA's being easy to beat is an interesting opinion though.
    When I make mistakes, I use a lot of salt,
    cause salt makes m'steaks taste great!

Beornin - The original Shotgun Adv
    Obsessive - First 220 Trox Engi
    Euthanizer - Reanimated NT

Muha: Sorry, mixed up the current text with something that was quoted. Still, why list MR under the advantages of atrox? Would any atrox engie actually perk primary 10?
    Beornin: As I said, not much experience. But when someone with BoB and flaming fists challenges me and says I won't be able to hit him (because of his evades), I know it's going to be easy. There must be good pvp MAs out there, and I sure don't want to fight them. But with MA being the most common profession, there seems to be a big amount of stupid MAs out there. I know I don't want to fight MAs without fists and without BoB. Especially not when they take out their microphone when they see me.
    Luuv lvl220/19/67 NM engie equip
    Spamheal lvl205/23 NM doc equip
    You might not believe it possible, but not all my toons are in my signature! *gasp*
    And yes, I always edit my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Luuv
    Muha: Sorry, mixed up the current text with something that was quoted. Still, why list MR under the advantages of atrox? Would any atrox engie actually perk primary 10?
    The fact that Beornin wasn't able to efficiently use MR does not mean it's useless We don't have enough enfo engis, but it is still my belief MR can be put into good use. Just an example type4+onehander alpha will benefit from 5k burst+2k hit + 2k implode (all divided by 2 and reduced by reflect of course) on top of the AS, if only these could land. You can think of other setups (think hotswap) where MR could be made into a decent benefit.
    The guide never says MR is extremly impotant. But i still think it is a good perk as part of the PvP toolbox.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast