Thread: Armors being Made Nodrop....or are they ?

Armors being Made Nodrop....or are they ?

Hi

I currently have a Shroud of Darkest Night on my MP, not to mention numerous sets of the excellent Merlin armor scattered across my toons. I note from the database that the SODN being introduced apparently has a different reference number. Will this ultimately mean that the current "old" SODN that I have will remain Non-Nodrop, or will it become one of the magic new ones that I cant pass between toons .

Similarly, should the nice stat buffing merlin armor be re-introduced as nodrop, would the current stuff that I have, then be un-transferrable to other toons? or are there plans to have NODROP and non- NODROP versions that coexist ?... or indeed would all subsequent drops of merlin be the NODROP variant, with the old stuff being removed from the loot tables?

bit paranoid about this lol, could somebody explain... or am I worrying about nothing (having been misinformed )?
    Last edited by ASM1; Jul 15th, 2006 at 16:13:10.

No one knows that can post right now.

2 main theories:

a) All mobs that drop the droppable versions now will drop the NODROP versions in the future (I don't like this theory).

b) The NODROP versions will drop from one of the upcoming Inferno quests/missions.

B makes the most sense to me. It also has people up in arms about the economy (mostly the people who take hundreds of millions of credits out of the people who can't or won't camp mobs all the time and those people who already paid their hundreds of millions). So there's a good chance that the NODROP versions may never get put in-game either way.

However I'm still rooting for it even though I occasionally camp mobs. Things like Bellum and Shrouds being questable is all fine with me, and fits in with the lowb changes lately like questing for newb island armor, questing for lightbars, etc. AI armor will remain a cash-cow, but everyone will have access to "decent" armor until they can afford the AI stuff.

There's a 3rd theory, spawned by the MBC that has a different mesh, that the items will be personalized versions of the "droppable" versions. I don't subscribe to this theory, seems like a red herring to me.
    Last edited by Doctorhyde; Jul 15th, 2006 at 16:26:25.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Thanks Doc

I agree with your stance on a) - wouldnt like to see it purely and simply because I have a high level toon (216 MP) that can in theory go farm the likes of Merlin or whatever for my lower toons that haven't a hope in hell of being able to farm it yet, but are at a stage where they can wear it (162 Doc who has a set, and 116 NT who wants one .... in a few levels)

Surely though, for people who cant/wont farm, it is their choice? I confess to having both bought and camped Merlin armor, purely because the piece I wanted didnt drop.... and it was for sale somewhere. Merlin is one of the few "decent" armors that can be worn at a relatively low/medium level on certain toons (MP had his on at 160, doc 162, and I had planned for my NT to have a set when he gets his big int/psy buff, hopefully by 145 or so). Making it nodrop kinda limits its usefullness - yes the stat buffs are great at higher levels, but as an armor set, surely it is most effective lower down the levels as soon as you have the stats to wear it.... cant see my NT being in inf to camp by level 140 and by 205+ I would hope to be in better armor if you get what I mean.

Not moaning at all lol, just curious and yes I am a bit of a merlin junkie but hey....

cheers

Not sure why, but the last thread I replied to on this topic got deleted. Soooo dont be suprised if it disappears without a word like the last one. Also in that thread I gave my thoughts on making quests class restricted by giving class restricted items as rewards. It turns the 30 new quests into more like 15 which kinda sucks in my opinion...
    Last edited by Ferg; Jul 16th, 2006 at 11:19:27.
    Disgruntled "Ferg" Engy 220\30 Director of Desolation RK2
    PvP Equip\PvM Equip
    First person to be killed 175 times by aliens.

hope they do make them quest rewards, would end a lot of ridiculous over pricing and stop half of the training problem in inferno. The bellum badonis and merlins are already limited to opposite classes, maybe the MBC will be soldier only? wait when has anyone ever seen a soldier use one? doctor/crat/MP only? that sounds about right. But when has FC made something profession specific based on the vast majority that uses it instead of the profession that is best in that skill.

If they are all quest rewards, it seems similar to something they did or planned to do in WoW.

From what i was told, the idea was that the Epic Armour (uber armour that makes your e-peen grow apparently) which only dropped from large raid dungeons and was generally only raided by people in Big Guilds was added to a set of quests that gave you a version of the armour with lower stats.

The idea being it would allow people that dont have 24 hours a day to play the game to get the "phats" that they, and everyone else wanted.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Just to clarify at least a little. I have a SODN equipped on test and it isn't NODROP at the moment, thats not to say it couldn't change because we are pretty early in the patch cycle.

I'd back the theory on quest rewards probably.
    Tenk (215/14) - Happy Omni-Tek Agent on TestLive
    Iranu (217/16) - Clan Agent on Rimor (my equipment)

Thanks Tenkx,

Breathing a little easier although of course nothing is final

Could just be quest required items. Something that always drops/is temporary, along those lines. Nothing you get to actually keep.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics