Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: let us "keep" and use the original skill window.

let us "keep" and use the original skill window.

The new skill window is very convenient except for one thing. The amount of lag it causes. On live, I tend to check my stats when buffing, and close them , as it only takes a few seconds to do so. But see with the new skill window, its rather unbearable to check your stats every few seconds. It takes almost 5 seconds for the skill window to appear when clicking the icon or using the shortcut key U. And during those five seconds your screen freezes, thus you cannot do anything. It'd be impossible to check your stats in PvP or PvE because of this. I propose that you set the new skill window the default for new players, and people who like it. But allow people like who dont like this freezing, to use the old skill window. Thanks.

Also I'd like it if the scroll wheel camera option could be turned off if the user would like it off. I use the scroll wheel from time to time, I dont know for what but, zooming in and out with it, can be annoying :/

Thanks for taking the time to read this/and or reply with , hopefully, positive feedback.

Well I can imagine how you can check your skills during pvm fight, but checking skills during pvp... I mean it's all about timing, so when you count seconds I don't exactly understand how can you be distracted by opening the skills window, which besides distracting you, also takes most of the screen blocking the view...

ain't gonna happen....

sorry....

I totally agre.
    New skillwindow is not an improvement at use. It looks different, and maby updated. But I like the old one that shows all skills in a group at once, not like new where I have to click each one. Let us old guys have the good old skill window as an option

Scroll is for surfing menu and inventory.Scrolling a small bag or menu and acidently get mouse arrow outside the bag and u screw up view, really innoying on test. +- is enough for zoom in 3. person.

("Does it work?" <Yes> "Leave it")

Skills windows is too big an overhaul, it's not just the GUI (aka, not a simple skin), the code too.

As for the mouse scroll, already suggested in another thread and they should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by knekt View Post
    I totally agre.
    New skillwindow is not an improvement at use. It looks different, and maby updated. But I like the old one that shows all skills in a group at once, not like new where I have to click each one. Let us old guys have the good old skill window as an option
    The new GUI does just what you ask for show you all skills in a group at once.
    In reference you can look at how it looks at the moment here. It dos also show it in big bold letters when you click on the skill including an updated description and their dependencies
    I don't agree when it comes to lag either but I guess that depends on a lot of different things, for me it opens instantly.

The Good old skill window is not an option even tough I also wish it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Eponyx View Post
    It dos also show it in big bold letters when you click on the skill including an updated description and their dependencies
    little bit off the original post, but out of curiosity what are the new descriptions for parry and riposte?

Quote Originally Posted by FitzOH View Post
    little bit off the original post, but out of curiosity what are the new descriptions for parry and riposte?
    For Riposte:
    Riposte is used to to equip some Matrial Arts special attacks and some special devices.

For Parry:
    Parry is requierment for equiping certain weapons and combat based items.

So you se the new description for parry and riposte is not Usless .

don't make a laggy skill interface

on any give char we check this all the time, like all the time

especially when leveling up, considering different equipment, etc

lag (graphics or otherwise) on the skill interface because it's been "prettyfied" would be a major pain and would decrease overall enjoyment of the game

edit: if it doesn't lag, great
    Last edited by Jomish; Aug 24th, 2006 at 17:53:45. Reason: had another thought

yea know.. the new skills window isnt too bad if you select the "minimized" option.. under the 'i' menu. essentially making it the width of the category buttons, and then sliding down the skills under that category.

which, when having alot of other windows open, especially for buffing and twinking, can be easier to manage than the old unmovable skills menu.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Agreed, the minimised version of the new window is growing on me too

Enjoying RK4

STATUS OF SKY: Not Falling

Gimp is a state of mind, nerfest is a state of being.

I rather suspect the last of the old GUI code has now been ripped out.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbane View Post
    I think you speak too soon, the mission terminal window still looks like it did three years ago. (Or was it 2.5 years ago?)
    Btw, they really should update the system for rolling missions. It'd be nice if you could at least limit your reward items to one category like nanos, weapons, armor etc for a time/price penalty instead of having to rely on 3rd party software like Clicksaver. Trying to roll a certain nano or gun type that you need without clicksaver is a huge pain and is not something I'd recommend to anyone.
    May your RD always kick in between death and reclaim.
    Honest Businessmen and women: The Mockers
    I eat Grid Armor nanos. *BURP* Hungry again!
    Power Users run Anarchy Online from Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaghelion View Post
    I think you speak too soon, the mission terminal window still looks like it did three years ago. (Or was it 2.5 years ago?)
    3 years is about right yes, which is when they first introduced the new GUI (including the current mission window) with Shadowlands. The map and skills window are I'm pretty sure the last remnants of the pre-SL GUI, and I'm pretty sure they'll finally be glad to be just maintaining a sigle set of GUI code now...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

Speaking of remaining code, what about the window in the grid when selecting what tower/city you wish to go to? In my game it's been looking like the old code for ages. I don't know if it's related to the skin i'm using, but I don't see why that should make that thing look like the old one...
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Speaking of remaining code, what about the window in the grid when selecting what tower/city you wish to go to? In my game it's been looking like the old code for ages. I don't know if it's related to the skin i'm using, but I don't see why that should make that thing look like the old one...
    It's changed too this patch Much easier to use if you've a city and 5 tower fields

It's changed too this patch Much easier to use if you've a city and 5 tower fields
    i used it last night, and it threw me way off.. i was like.. uhhh... wtf am i looking at. i was sitting there for a couple minutes.. then i finally realized what was going on.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Screenshot somewhere?

TL7 NanoTech -+- Implant Assembler
    TL7 Solja -+- Angry Bullet Sprayer
    TL7 MA -+- Furious Angel
    TL5 Adv -+- God Mode
    TL4 Agent -+- Faker
    TL4 Trader -+- Wrangler
    TL6 Doctor -+- Health Freak
    TL3 Enforcer -+- King of Disco

Quote Originally Posted by Raizhi View Post
    But see with the new skill window, its rather unbearable to check your stats every few seconds. It takes almost 5 seconds for the skill window to appear when clicking the icon or using the shortcut key U. And during those five seconds your screen freezes, thus you cannot do anything. It'd be impossible to check your stats in PvP or PvE because of this.
    I just logged on to Test and played my fixer for a little bit...and I got this same problem...

Quote Originally Posted by damon7 View Post
    ain't gonna happen.... sorry
    Exactly what I was thinking. Similar protests were made to keep original GUI with regard to the old chat window, and LFT chat channels...both were scrapped in favor of the new system. I seriously doubt the new skill GUI will be an exception to that policy.
    Last edited by Vlain; Aug 27th, 2006 at 08:22:34.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    --------------------------------------------------
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    --------------------------------------------------
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast