Thread: Feedback Thread: GUI Changes

As many others have already said, the scroll wheel is horrid, the skills interface is less user friendly with poor contrast, and the map was a step backwards.

I would prefer these changes to be optional.

My tone is a direct reflection of your attitude.

220 Wiseguy - Bureaucrat
    ... and a bevy of underequipped 220's

Account Created 16 July 2001

OMFG The more I fiddle with the new IP window the more I absolutely detest it. Ideas to improve it?? Make it exactly like it was. THERE fixed and not just bitching, making CONSTRUCTIVE suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venachar View Post
    Yes. I'm a total idiot. Please don't quote that last sentence out of context
    Well Duh lol.

I have chronic dyslexia of the keyboard..

Zen.

Map a step backward? Actually after using it a bit I'd have to say it's much better. It AUTOFADESS!!! If you don't like the scroll bars... who cares, they fade away you don't even notice it! The planetmap can now be DOCKED! omg!

Add the ability to hide the scroll bars, and I will wub j00 and huggle j00 FC
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

Oh however... The autofollowing the player thing for planetmap is good, but it needs to switch back to the player if you move the planetmap, just like minimap does now
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

The new skills window... It was done wrong. They tried to find something broken, and they tried to fix it with the wrong hammer.

Here's what you do for a skills gui without any griping.

A: Make it look the same but improve it if you must. No window, just a transperant unmovable layer.
    B: Keep it looking the same!
    C: No, really. Same!
    D: Add a toggle in the options for Extra Info On/Off, that will toggle a panel of somekind, perhaps in the middle of the skills, or on the left or right. Make it have a skin of some kind. Not a plain window. Within this extra panel, show the extra information /if you want it/. (Most people wont)
    E: Increase the sizes of the Ip spending boxes, and text fields so we can see what ip we're spending.
    F: Get rid of the clunky useless replacement. LAg or no lag, its still garbage.

Skillwindow
    I don't much like the new Skillwindow but that's ok.
    The Lag when opening it is very annoying though, espcially because the cause of it is absolutely uneccesary.
    The \Anarchy Online\cd_image\gui\Default\Views\Skills.xml should only be read ONCE to initialize the window - not read it every time the window is opened.
    Reading the file, parsing the xml and construct a window from that layout - no wonder it takes so long to open. Seeing it also is running in the same thread as the world rendering everything hangs while the loading is in process.

As it is right now, forget about quick checking what skills you have been debuffed by a dyna/mob. (dots for example that don't show what skills it debuffs).
    Not even mentioning you don't see anything anymore when it's open.

The Max possible skill and ctrl click to max a skill is nice though.

Map
    Why change the buttons? more wasted space on the map now.
    If you use a custom map with bigger resolution it's made kinda pointless now because if you want to zoom in to a specific area it resets the map around your character.

Scrolling
    Could be nice feature if we could enable it. totally screws my playstyle.
    If the Nano Window is the the right side bar and is bigger then your screen resolution you're in for trouble too. Can't scroll that anymore.
    I'm fine in principle to move my mouse over the right panel to scroll it, but if i scroll windows up and my last window scrolls over my mouse position i end up zoomin out again. -.-
    If i scroll and scroll the programswindow onto the mousesposition i scroll the programs list instead. -.-
    For Chat's i have clickthrough enabled and everytime i forget to hold down alt when i want to scroll them (which happens to me quite frequently) i end up zoming into my character and don't see a thing anymore.
    As it stand now it's the worst functionality for me.

- Xenon

Bump for intelligent well-explained reasonings for dislikes of recent changes!

P.S. Mouse zooming would be slightly SLIGHTLY less annoying if doing it while turning, or running, or MOVING... didn't stuff your camera angle.

P.P.S The option to toggle mouse scrolling would suck, because if you wanted it only sometimes... needing to change it all the time would be annoying as well.... [button]+scroll to zoom however..... wtb
    Last edited by Healyhatman; Aug 30th, 2006 at 02:47:17.

Fix an option to toggle to make the scroll wheel not zoom, also would be nice to have the option to revert to the skills view as it has been all these years. (if it aint broke dont fix it blah blah)
    Sakuranbo 220 MA
    Kyuutihoni - 216 FIX
    Darksister 215 MP
    Foxycrat 195 CRAT
    Nanozaps 185 NT
    Islashjoo 184 ENF
    Shadydream 169 SHADE
    Ryogasama 162 ENG
    Nekonuku 160 ADV
    Starrynyght 160 AGENT
    *And many more!*
    *Proud Advisor of Bug Busters* (RK2)

I can understand why converting to an XML GUI makes sense but there's no reason they couldn't have retained the pleasant sounds the skill view made (and the same with all the other old GUI sounds for that matter).

Edit: Not that I actually like it or anything. I consider it a downgrade.
    Last edited by Snowglobe; Aug 30th, 2006 at 03:07:42.

OMG 15 pages already? bummer

well. we do have a point.
    My $0.02

Skills take to long to open
    Map resets to default = BAD
    The scroll thing: I think I get it. It's only used in 3rd person mode. It doesn't change from 1st to 3rd person. It just zooms when in 3rd person. Which is cool but confusing so I'll prolly just stick with +/- cus it's closer to move the camera.

w00t! for NPCs with blue names and more quests and pvp missions (i think).
    Overall I like everything. Or I'll get used to it.
    Just needs a few tweaks here and there.

Some guildies having trouble even logging on for example :/
    EDIT: Check which sound card driver you are using if you have more than one in the list (most do I think)

AND OMG HOLY CRAP!!!
    I can walk around in inferno with little lag now!!
    Whatever you did there kicks A$$!!!! w00000t!!

Gratz FC. I actually do like it. Nice
    Last edited by Sefus; Aug 30th, 2006 at 03:38:28.
    Joe "Sefus" Werkit 212/17
    Squad Commander - PR - Recruitment
    3305 Local

New skill window isn't bad, finding the forced scroll-to-zoom function on the scroll wheel to be quite irritating, as I am used to scrolling my sidebar a LOT while I play without having to drag my mouse pointer to the right side.

The visual changes in inferno are a debateable improvement, insomuch as I really dig the improved framerates, but nostalgia will keep me fondly remembering the 'heat shimmer' effect we had.

The inferno missions are a toss up, in particular the quest to kill Libra, which is a quest not likely to be completed by one person or even one team given that the zods are generally hit quite regularly by the raid bots, quite effectively preventing that little accomplishment.

The other playfield improvements are noticeable, ie: ICC seems to load much faster now and not present anywhere near as much lag.

The planetmap is a step in the right direction, but the overly large buttons I feel are a step backwards from the icon buttons of the old planetmap.The center-on-character function remaining locked while moving is a nice touch.

HATE the mouse wheel scroll, it's driving me nuts!

GIVE US BACK THE OLD IP DISTRIBUTION, i'm not 12 years old, even if i was i'd want the old one

Quote Originally Posted by Necremis View Post
    GIVE US BACK THE OLD IP DISTRIBUTION, i'm not 12 years old, even if i was i'd want the old one
    Quoted for truth.

The skill window blows. Somehow I went from having 11 perk resets to 7. Whats worse is that this thing for "suggested IP distribution" is a waste. Id rather have fixes than crappy shwag like that. This entire patch is completely shyte.

I also would like to state for the record, if we must have this new skill window, then I really wanna see a way to change it back to the old system. I hate it. I want it to die.
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; Aug 30th, 2006 at 05:41:07.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

MAY BE IMPORTANT

I noticed that when I logged on today and opened the new GUI skill system, it didn't lag at all when opening the first time. It was just as fast as the old one. When opening it for a second time though, it lagged like hell the other times though. I logged on misc chars, and it was the same. First opne opened with no prob, other ones lagged.
    Sort Martial Artist 220/15 :: Alienchild Enforcer 212/10 :: Sortcrat Bueraucrat 209/10
    Sortmorph Adventurer 206/06 :: Nipple Nano Technician 202/00 :: Sortmezz Bueraucrat 209/05
    Svik Fixer 193/04 :: Sortenf Enforcer 161/00 :: Sortkeep Keeper 173/05
    Sort2 Martial Artist 143/02 :: Sortmedic Doctor 201/05 :: Nipple2 Nano Technician 167/02
    Sortblaster Soldier 67/00 :: Sortha Shade 43/00 :: Sortmp Meta-Phycisist 31/02
    Sortsnipe Agent 30/02 :: Iscrewbots Engineer 6/01

.:Total Levels Gained:.
    Rubi-Ka: 2383 :: Shadow: 48 :: Alien: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    Somehow I went from having 11 perk resets to 7.
    Only seven perk resets instead of 11?
    'Sploit or typo?

Quote Originally Posted by Telcea View Post
    Marry me plx <3

Just thought I'd also mention that just because not many people are posting here that they LIKE the new GUI, doesn't mean no one does.

Who the hell goes to a forum to compliment something? Pfft, yeah right
    From what I have read, it seems that only one or two, and at most three people are actually satisfied with the changes in the patch. Please stop claiming that is an invisible majority who likes the GUI changes -- there isn't.

Unfortunately I can offer no compliments to any of the GUI changes. I believe that the new GUI is terrible and have no room of improvement whatsoever. The only solution is to rollback to the old one.

Rollback? BAH! Scroll up for positive comments from me on everything except the scroll-zoom!

EDIT: I mean... TRY to scroll, nerf your camera, fix it, move your mouse over, scroll, go "ARG IT SCROLLED MY NCU WINDOW" move your mouse again, scroll AGAIN.....

worldmap - put buttons into one line

Right now there are two lines (Zoom in/out & Char/Mish/Shop)
    Maybe make zoom buttons into (+)/(-) to save space.

It would save precious screen space.
    Especially when using worldmap as a substitute for local map during long-distance travel.

PS And make scroll-zoom _an_option_
    You try handling shop, equipment, nanos and NCU windows open on the right side of the screen.

PPS I made a long and ranting but positive-sounding post on Skill window:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=459613
    Last edited by intelknight; Aug 30th, 2006 at 09:17:35.

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast