Thread: Feedback Thread: GUI Changes

I cant get my skill window opened by pressing 'U' any more. I've tried resetting the keyboard associations too. Still no-go on 2 different PCs/installations.

TL7 NanoTech -+- Implant Assembler
    TL7 Solja -+- Angry Bullet Sprayer
    TL7 MA -+- Furious Angel
    TL5 Adv -+- God Mode
    TL4 Agent -+- Faker
    TL4 Trader -+- Wrangler
    TL6 Doctor -+- Health Freak
    TL3 Enforcer -+- King of Disco

Great ideas seriously but...

I actually like seeing a new patch on the way, even if they do cause irritaions in the first few days until another fix, mod of the patch content.

On the Good Side:
    1. quest NPCs have identifying name color.
    2. added quests in inferno, I hear those in the high game have something to do now lol
    3. the pop ups about new ip/ perks is good too especially for newer players (first time I played i didnt know how to see ip or use them until like level 12 O.o)
    4. new patches are always good because it PROVES that funcom still cares about this 'ancient' game TY FC as much as we complain we feel safe to pay a year ahead knowing your not gonna scrap the AO servers to make room for a new coffeemaker (played other mmorpg's and still this is my very fav!)

On the bad side however:
    1. the ip menu could use larger buttons (we spend enough time allocation points in the old system, why make it harder to hit the tiny buttons?)
    2. MY MOST ANNOYING AND I KNOW IM NOT ALONE, THE SCROLL WHEEL FOR ZOOM. CAN IT BE TOGGLED ON/OFF PLEASE? (I play a doc and I use my wheel to move the side scrolled windows around to see different stats without filling my whole screen up... ALOT of people are going to die because I zoomed way far into that heckler instead of finding that heal nano in the nick of time.)

But as I said as much as we complain we love seeing updates, it makes us feel loved
    Last edited by the_irish; Aug 30th, 2006 at 13:44:13. Reason: bad wording in a sentence

Bump for the Blue-Named quest NPCs
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Martygreat View Post
    From what I have read, it seems that only one or two, and at most three people are actually satisfied with the changes in the patch. Please stop claiming that is an invisible majority who likes the GUI changes -- there isn't.
    Did you even read the line about people not coming to the forum to compliment the GUI? Two or three people do, the rest don't. There IS an 'invisible' group of peple who like the GUI, I know because I've spoke to them in game.

The loudest voice isn't alway the right one or the most favoured opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Martygreat View Post
    I believe that the new GUI is terrible and have no room of improvement whatsoever. The only solution is to rollback to the old one.
    If you actually read anything in this thread there are already a ton of suggestions to improve the GUI, not including a roll back because FC have already said It's not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by intelknight View Post
    PPS I made a long and ranting but positive-sounding post on Skill window:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=459613
    Love the post, love the thread You my friend are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlain View Post
    Then you will be looking for another game soon. Buh bye. If you had read this thread you (like so many others who have posted w/o reading) would understand that this is the last step in a series of GUI changes over the last 3 years since the release of SL.

At each phase people have asked for the option to keep the old GUI. FC is not willing to support 2 GUI's, so the only constructive option is to add input about improving the new GUI.

It's not going to change...get over it...get used to it. There is nothing you or anyone can say to change it.
    QFT

I got a bit lazy and skipped over most of the last page, so I'll quote some more people later
    "How do you prove you exist..?
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX
    FFVIII is extremely underrated. It pwns j00!
    I have a custom title and you don't... oh wait, you do
    I have more posts than Satenia

::::: HugeMap is old, CSPmap is new! (Website) (Download) :::::

Quote Originally Posted by the_irish View Post
    3. the pop ups about new ip/ perks is good too especially for newer players (first time I played i didnt know how to see ip or use them until like level 12 O.o)
    Did you read the user manual when starting? Like with keyboard shortkeys and such, too?
    Soldier Equip

Victory to the omnis! The Renaissance attacked Nemesis in theyre base in Mort. The attackers won!
    [Gimpybot] Kiwaczek: how the hell they plant ct 8 min before timer ? [Gimpybot] Zantezutske: another nice exploit? (The Renaissance built CT)

Vlain: I am milk every of yous!!!

Proud member of The Renaissance

People do seem to be pretty set on hating every aspect of each of the new additions... I can understand it with the MouseWheel zooming, I HATE that... but with a few slight improvements I am fully certain the skill window will be just fine
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

Thumbs up

OMG the whinage, after reading though here I logged in expecting to see some frankenstien's relative.

The new skill interface is different. It didn't take but moments for a veteran player to figure it out and I can tell its much more user friendly toward n00bs/fr00bs. And I actually like the extra information they put in, I find it more useful. About the only thing I didn't check on there was the IPR's. That's cause I'm not using mine just yet.

After reading the whining and looking at it the only valid complaint I saw was that it did take a bit to pop up. However those who had been following the update already knew that was going to happen. The devs said that rather than delay the patch or move it back a patch they'd let the slower code go. I agree its a minor thing over all. If it gets you killed, then you were doing something you shouldn't be doing in the first place, just adapt.

Yes its different...big whoop.

The zoom. Some people where quite vocal about how horrible this change was. I get in and it takes 0.5 seconds to figure the whole mechanic out and to when to use it and when not to use it. Some people just like to gripe, its too easy to change your habits to work with it and its nicer to spin the wheel than to hold one key down.

The map. I guess most of the people who are complaining about the buttons play in 800x600 mode or less. Cause with the ability to doc the map its not that bad. Yes it does eat up valuable space, but it doesn't make the map unusuable. But then for people who play on much higher resolutions, making the buttons smaller might make them unusuable. Maybe if they had the option to positition them horizontally in a line, if the map is big enough it might cut down on some of the complaints. Over all, the missing real estate is easily compensated for by simply using the new scroll functionality with the mouse wheel. I can actually get around on that map faster now than before, to see where I'm going.

The only other valid complaint I've seen about the map is that sometimes it doesn't redraw and you end up with those odd blank spaces in the map. That could get real annoying if yer trying to run some place and the map won't redraw.

Over all, with the exception of a few pre-known performance issues, the GUI upgrade is a big plus to me. I've been in game 4 years, seen many GUI changes, sure this one doesn't seem to have a fancy Sci-Fi twist to it, that's because its rooted in making the game more player friendly.

I wandered though Inferno and noticed it looks different, the same but different. Another thing I noticed, I can wander through with full effects and still have another 10 FPS better than pre-patch on my slow gameing computer. much props to the playfield optimization guys.
    Sometimes, you just have to charge in with both hands blazing and hope they drop before you do.

I won't join your org, but I may join your cause...for a price

All must bow before receiving my blessings

Davias, I want your babies <3 Marry me plx
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX

you want everyones babies Tel..least as long as there a fanboi
    Quote Originally Posted by Venachar View Post
    Yes. I'm a total idiot. Please don't quote that last sentence out of context
    Well Duh lol.

I have chronic dyslexia of the keyboard..

Zen.

map changes: I did not see a need for a change. I don't like that i have to have a large map on my screen to have both the buttons and map open. i usually play with the map open and use the buttons lots. I would be happy with the older map.

IP window: change the colors for the IP bars - the contrast is less than useful. (I dont like the new IP window, if find the buttons harder to activate.

ANi.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

Quote Originally Posted by zenwon View Post
    you want everyones babies Tel..least as long as there a fanboi
    They don't need to be a fanboy, they just need the sense to understand one simple concept.

The old GUI is NOT coming back. I don't really care if they hate it, love it, or are atrox and want to crush it. If they can write a readable post that makes a semblence of sense stating why they love or hate something about the GUI without bitching, whining or asking for the old GUI, then in my book they are awesome

(Although if they're trox they don't get any marriage proposals)

Ani and mastablasta do not apply to the above specifications because they're both awesome enough already.
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX

Skill window I have no functional problem with, they just need to fix it so that it doesn't freeze the game for 1 or 2 seconds when opening. Other than that, some will and are complaining that it is "big" or rather, that it gets in the way as you can't see behind it. True and fair enough, but it's really not much bigger than the old guide if you think about it. The old one had big blocks that obstructed view...the difference was that it was more spaced it, giving the impression of room. But, that's a personal view and I don't care one way or the other. Just fix the lag on opening.

The map needs an option for the old style buttons. Simple as that. I don't want big buttons with text on them that take up two rows, nor do I want to have no buttons at all. Also, my map typically appears "broken", ie, you can see where the tileing is. It's very...ugly and annoying. It taking up more room with the title bar and scroll bars is also frustrating, as I used to be able to size and position it in such away that I could give myself a map view while minimizing obstruction to anything else. Now, it's not quite as effecient, but not too bad.

The mousewheel. This is where you've just been stupid FC. From the very *day* that you announced what was in store for *test* people have been saying to make it optional. So, f u funcom for not listening. Now go back and fix it. Simple option -> mouse scroll as zoom or mouse scroll as scrolling the roll up panel. Do it. Stop dicking around with features that we told you we didn't want and that we said you should at least make optional to appease both crowds.

Hmmm, Telcea, You're falling down on the job. You didn't ask Intelknight if he could read

Well, I used the new skills interface. What can I say positive about it? ... As far as I can tell, it put the points where I wanted and I am sure that in two or three patches it will be almost as useable as the old.

In addition to previous suggestions in this forum, I would like to be able to change the order of skills in each subset. Allowing me to place the skills I most often upgrade where I want them. That would be functionality not avalable in the old interface and a real improvment.
    I used to be a brunette until that unfortunate, 50 million credit 'accident' with the Surgery Clinique.

Quote Originally Posted by Qapluss View Post
    Hmmm, Telcea, You're falling down on the job. You didn't ask Intelknight if he could read
    Generally, people who can type can read
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX

Quote Originally Posted by Telcea View Post
    Generally, people who can type can read
    Doesn't mean they do though
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Quote Originally Posted by Telcea View Post
    The candle wasn't broke, why the hell did we invent lightbulbs.
    Horse and carts worked damn fine, get rid of cars please.
    How much would a year supply of candles cost? Have you heard of the great San Fransisco fire that was started when a cow kicked over a candle lamp?

Horses produce poop. Now imagine if all the cars were to turn into horses in a major city

As for the GUI, I love it except for:

the 2-3 sec delay
    the font size/color
    the hidden IPR
    the "suggested" IP button
    the size of the skill menu even minimized
    the map buttons take too much room
    the mouse wheel zooming
    the map nav not being explained as being unresetable

yep besides those few minor things, the patch was a success
    Looking Uber > Being Uber

Quote Originally Posted by Sepy View Post
    How much would a year supply of candles cost? Have you heard of the great San Fransisco fire that was started when a cow kicked over a candle lamp?
    They had problems, of course, but they still worked. Acording to the line people keep using they should not have been improved because they worked, even if it was badly. Because people had sense and used logic however, they were improved.

The old GUI worked, but had problems so following logic, it gets 'fixed'. Pretty simple really.

Horses produce poop. Now imagine if all the cars were to turn into horses in a major city
    That's actually quite friendly for the environment, ever heard of manure? Versus car exhaust fumes, I'd prefer the horses.
    Last edited by Telcea; Aug 30th, 2006 at 16:35:06.
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX

Quote Originally Posted by Davias View Post
    OMG the whinage, after reading though here I logged in expecting to see some frankenstien's relative.

The new skill interface is different. It didn't take but moments for a veteran player to figure it out and I can tell its much more user friendly toward n00bs/fr00bs. And I actually like the extra information they put in, I find it more useful. About the only thing I didn't check on there was the IPR's. That's cause I'm not using mine just yet.

After reading the whining and looking at it the only valid complaint I saw was that it did take a bit to pop up. However those who had been following the update already knew that was going to happen. The devs said that rather than delay the patch or move it back a patch they'd let the slower code go. I agree its a minor thing over all. If it gets you killed, then you were doing something you shouldn't be doing in the first place, just adapt.

Yes its different...big whoop.

The zoom. Some people where quite vocal about how horrible this change was. I get in and it takes 0.5 seconds to figure the whole mechanic out and to when to use it and when not to use it. Some people just like to gripe, its too easy to change your habits to work with it and its nicer to spin the wheel than to hold one key down.

The map. I guess most of the people who are complaining about the buttons play in 800x600 mode or less. Cause with the ability to doc the map its not that bad. Yes it does eat up valuable space, but it doesn't make the map unusuable. But then for people who play on much higher resolutions, making the buttons smaller might make them unusuable. Maybe if they had the option to positition them horizontally in a line, if the map is big enough it might cut down on some of the complaints. Over all, the missing real estate is easily compensated for by simply using the new scroll functionality with the mouse wheel. I can actually get around on that map faster now than before, to see where I'm going.

The only other valid complaint I've seen about the map is that sometimes it doesn't redraw and you end up with those odd blank spaces in the map. That could get real annoying if yer trying to run some place and the map won't redraw.

Over all, with the exception of a few pre-known performance issues, the GUI upgrade is a big plus to me. I've been in game 4 years, seen many GUI changes, sure this one doesn't seem to have a fancy Sci-Fi twist to it, that's because its rooted in making the game more player friendly.

I wandered though Inferno and noticed it looks different, the same but different. Another thing I noticed, I can wander through with full effects and still have another 10 FPS better than pre-patch on my slow gameing computer. much props to the playfield optimization guys.

Not everybody plays like you, oh my dear king of the world and knower of all things. It has nothing to do with figuring out a new interface. We're not stupid. Just because we don't like something doesn't mean we don't understand how to use it. But we had something perfectly fine, and even at that, we only asked it to be an optional change. We've asked for the option. I don't give a flying pig if you like the zoom wheel. I do NOT zoom around when playing because it is NOT necessary for ME to do. I position my camera and only ever need to rotate it. I do, however, use the wheel to look through different sections of my rollup panel. I don't need the convenience of zooming, I need the convenience of being able to see the information I want to see.

And for reference, i play at 1650x1080. I have things set how I want and, if I deem something useless, I don't use it. I deem this useless, therefore I do not want to use it. I should have the option. It's not a gripe, it's a valid complaint, especially since we have been telling FC to make it an option since the very day they announced they were making that change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepy View Post
    Actually the great san fransisco fire was started by a earthquake. I believe the fire youre referring to was in boston
    Quote Originally Posted by Venachar View Post
    Yes. I'm a total idiot. Please don't quote that last sentence out of context
    Well Duh lol.

I have chronic dyslexia of the keyboard..

Zen.

Thumbs down

Like most of it apart from the mouse scroll not used to it

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast