Thread: Feedback Thread: GUI Changes

Thumbs down

so far i dont have a prob with the new patch except the mouse scroll wheel. it makes the game so annoying to play, most likely its my mouse but when im running, fighting,turning my camera angle gets all screwed up and now im useing the number pad to fix my camera more than ever. At least make it an option for us to turn it on/off at our own will. And for the new ip window in my opinion its just ugly, i only like the new ip suggestion. Do something about this mouse scroll :P

Quote Originally Posted by Drzambie View Post
    mouse wheel zooming sucks, thats what the + and - keys are for.
    Unfortunately some people play AO on laptops.

Not me, but there are such people out there

But yes unmodded mouse wheel zooming sucks
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

For some reason, reading the same whines over and over makes me laugh
    "How do you prove you exist..?
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX
    FFVIII is extremely underrated. It pwns j00!
    I have a custom title and you don't... oh wait, you do
    I have more posts than Satenia

::::: HugeMap is old, CSPmap is new! (Website) (Download) :::::

ehh.. Skill system GUI sucks.. i dont care about the ability reset restriction just because it doesnt really affect me much..

as to why i dont like the skill GUI.. simple, it's laggy it doesnt look good.. it doesnt offer anything new bad i dont like how its set up with where the numbers are placed sizes for everything min/max bar placement.. i think the old one would be a big upgrade to this one the last one was definitely better.

and the zoom in/out with the mouse wheel toggle is terrible.. normally you wouldnt even notice it until someone opens a trade with you and you try to use ur mouse wheel to scroll down so you can see the entire trade window again then you zoom out and lose ur camera angle.. its just annoying.
    /afk..

mouse wheel: sure atm i find it annoying, and a pita, especially since i'm always 3rd person locked.. and with a sensitive wheel on my mouse, it means if i have right mouse button down for driving through alien ships.. it can cause rather nasty camera angle changes.

skill window: everytime i open it, regardless of where i am, or what i'm doing, i get a nice 5 - 10 second pause, this is even with the 'minimized' format.. sure it is alot nicer for 'new' AO players with the auto IP function, but for those more knowledgable in AO it is rather restrictive... possibly giving the option for the player to choose between the old and the new window would be ideal... with the 'new' one being the default for new characters.
    Redadv 220/30
    Proud Member of The Renaissance

Not everyone gets the lag. For example, I don't. Do a search for don't+lag Lots of peoplpe do seem to be getting it so sit tight, FC will do something about it when they can... I belive they're a little busy at the moment
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Oddly, my map stays where I left it when I open and close it, but the zoom in/out buttons don't do a thing, so I guess that's broken.

The new GUI ... well ... I see what you guys were trying to do but ... it's really hard to read. The colors on the bars are too pale, the text is too pale and not enough contrast with the background, and the text is also too tiny. I think it was a good idea, just poorly executed. I get the lag about 80% of the time. Sometimes it opens right up, no problem, sometimes I could go grab a drink in the time it takes.

The morph sounds are ... interesting. I am not sure how I feel about those yet.

I haven't had a chance to test Yalm/parrot yet because the servers are down again, hopefully they don't make me seasick.

As for the mouse wheel zooming thing, that is freaking annoying.

A nice little tweak to the skill GUI (besides adding more colors, decreasing the lag, increasing the font size, putting some sounds in it etc) would be that you could somehow (right clicking, ctrl+clicking) max a skill with a single click.

Just my two cents..

Putting an on/off switch to the mousezoom-thing would be a nice addition aswell. Right now its really annoying.
    got speed?

Ctrl+click. Try it when servers come back up.

Still getting a headache everytime I use the new GUI, is that good design?

Hire some decent designers next time please...

This is how it should have been done:

Work from what was done before, look how things are organized, is there a need to change things?

If not, leave it as it was.
    If yes, work something out, make a layout, test layout with a few players, work from there, then implement to test, test it well. Get feedback from a large base, make adjustments, then if things are well for over 90% of the cases, implement.

Just make a toggle so people can use what they want, it should not be hard to do, the code is there, the design is there, just make a F10 toggle (new GUI or old style GUI, yes/no) and everyone is happy

Well except for the zealots of so called "progress" who believes everything has to change. Some things are fine as is.

Add a counter that tells you how much IP you are spending when increasing a skill.

I used that feature all the time on the old skill GUI. This way you can tell how much you can increase different skills with only X amount of IP.
    I am Horrible

Quote Originally Posted by horrible View Post
    Add a counter that tells you how much IP you are spending when increasing a skill.

I used that feature all the time on the old skill GUI. This way you can tell how much you can increase different skills with only X amount of IP.
    110% * 110 agreed.

Kinda sucks when you gotta use a skill emulator to pre-plan your IP when you're manually rationing.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Quote Originally Posted by toewiggler View Post
    This is how it should have been done:

Work from what was done before, look how things are organized, is there a need to change things?

If not, leave it as it was.
    If yes, work something out, make a layout, test layout with a few players, work from there, then implement to test, test it well. Get feedback from a large base, make adjustments, then if things are well for over 90% of the cases, implement.
    This was how it was done
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX

gotta say, i like the ideas dochyde had with his mockups... i could at least live with those till someone comes up with an alt GUI for it like in nottum or some such.

however i would like to add one detail: make the actuall skill number larger, move it onto the bar itself, change the color to something readable on all colored bars (like black maybe), and make it bold also. would HUGELY make it more readable for alot of us at larger resolutions.

i havent played around to find out yet, but is the background of the window itself fadeable? sorta like some of the other windows are now? i wouldnt mind haveing the background of the window itself fadeable, yet have the buttons and text bright... kinda like the chatwindows. this *might* even help the lloading lag some of you have when hitting the U key. i personally dont have this issue using vista beta build 5472, so that doesnt bother me, but i would have issues with it if it did.
    vote for or suggest more ideas on an in-game scripting tool here:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...90#post4016590

Quote Originally Posted by horrible View Post

Isnt' all that info in the detailed view, or are you talking about something else?

I see details for base skill, buffed skill, max skill allowed, current improvement, ip cost to improve, and total cost when detailed view is turned on in the 'i' menu.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    --------------------------------------------------
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    --------------------------------------------------
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

Please DEAR GOD dump this new gui thing, openeing my skill window freezes ao for about 35 seconds, moving body dev is damn confusing for someone who has had it in the correct place for the past 4 years.
    Its ugly, its stupid and was utterly unwarranted.
    The old one did exactly what it needed to, one of the few parts of AO that the entire population was happy with.

I'm assuming that it was either "pay gui designers to make something new" or fire them for being useless.

The whole thing, it all needs to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

Quote Originally Posted by Vlain View Post
    Isnt' all that info in the detailed view, or are you talking about something else?

I see details for base skill, buffed skill, max skill allowed, current improvement, ip cost to improve, and total cost when detailed view is turned on in the 'i' menu.
    You are correct. Some people however don't even bother trying before whining
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX

Debuffed skills aren't red in the new skills window

The new IP window is slow, is ineffective and confusing and looks bad.

The previous windows was fast and easier to understand. Now all the "bars" are same shade of blue, unlike it was earlier, when each bar had its own color according to the IP cost of that skill ...

The window take 2-3 secs to open and freezes my client during loading... even if I reopen it shortly after I closed it, it still takes time to open. Caching not working?

And for gods sake, add an option to nerf the new scrolling ...

My suggestion: make another option to choose between new and old skill window.
    SC of Kvestakolal - Join us if you can spell it correctly
    * Mechanuf - 220 Multi-Purpose Combat Engineer
    * Hormonuf - 220 Healmonkey
    * Hackuf - 217 Phix
    * ... loads of other *ufs and *nufs

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanuf View Post
    My suggestion: make another option to choose between new and old skill window.
    Your suggestion will be noted and ignored. Thank you for your time
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast