Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Feedback Thread: GUI Changes

Man, playing AO on high rez you can't even see the buttons or text!
    I gotta log on lowrez to do my IP... *boo!*
    Fapfap - 220/19 Fixer
    Fappers - 220/22 NT
    Autoafk - 220/21 Crat
    Hisap - 220/20 Shade
    Autofil - 212/11 Enf
    Hisap1 - 211/13 Sol
    Autofap - 211/9 Agt

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    You can hide them already Just click [i] on map, you can hide all the buttons and do all navigation stuff from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    As mentioned above and in the update notes that option exists in the context menu (the little 'i' icon in the top left on the map view)
    KK, sry I missed that. Although I don't see it in the update notes.

I see this under New Skill View: Increased visibility of stats, base and buffed stats are now visible within the GUI, You can switch the detailed view on and off in the context menu for the window. (i in the top left of skillwindow)

But all I see for map is: New Planetmap View

Was there an option to change buttons to small icons, or did I miss that too? Servers down atm, so I can't check myself.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    --------------------------------------------------
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by dellinda View Post
    45 minutes of server trouble and you're finding a new game? LOL

Good thing WoW never ever never, I mean never, has any technical issues.
    Yes, cause WoW servers never ever go down for unknown reasons, don't have waiting in line just to play the damn game, and it definately does not have __weekly__ scheduled downtime. And above all, WoW does not ever have __any__ issues post patch. There rumoured non working instance servers following a recent patch did not actually take place. WoW is perfect :P
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Sir "Eoemar" Trevallien -=- Supreme Creator
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library
    http://bebot.shadow-realm.org/ - BeBot - An Anarchy Online Chat Automaton
    http://aodevs.com/ - Anarchy Online 3rd party developers resource

"Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games."
    -- Former AO Game Director Marius Enge

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    As mentioned above and in the update notes that option exists in the context menu (the little 'i' icon in the top left on the map view)
    As mentioned before, you still loose functionality with the new map window due to forcing people who want to be able to use the planet map like they always have, to remove functionality, ie the ability to have small buttons/icons to manage the planetmap without having it take up uneccecary space and thus be a part of the normal GUI layout.

Yes, you can still archieve it by jumping trough extra hoops, but why should a GUI "improvement" actually make the gui more cumbersome to use?

Seriously, im all for ripping out old cruft code from AO and updating the GUI. But reducing useability, and then not taking the major complaints about the changes in any way to heart even when warned about what your customers feel about it 1 month before you unleash it on live is imho plain stupidity.
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library

The new map rocks It now zooms in and out correctly instead of ouf of sync

Usually for example when map was zoomed out in mort and i zoom in it would go to Tir County instead.

Oh and the scroll bars on the map = no more dragging!
    GeneticFreak
    [216/20] Martial Artist
    General of The Dojo

Songs for AO

I am a normal AO player. I am not elite. But I want to be. When I get some supples, I am 400m closer to being elite.. About 10B to go. Every time my eliteness increases just a little bit more, I twink a little harder.

I for one, check the skills screen at least 200 times a day. Every time I do.. well. Lets face it. Anything. I open that window. And I close it.

The new gui:

Pluses.

It's kinda neat that you dont need to shift click to read the useless blurb text that any established player does not need or want to read. Would have been useful to me in the first.. 10-20 minutes of playing AO. I can see its benefit. But I don't want it.

Being able to see Base, Current, Maximum, Cost (that you can actually see) Hugely excellent. Shame its in the interface its in.

Minuses.

Its slow. Everyone, who's played AO for more than a week, checks this screen /constantly/.

It takes much more clicking and crapping around.

It's not transperant. We're all seasoned multitaskers. I fiddle and browse as I run. It now takes up far too much screenspace to be even remotely useful, except on the rare event that I get myself a level.

The map is missing its equivalent of the "?" button. You can not change maps now.

Browsing the map with the mouse is slow.

It loads the image (in this case, CSPmap) in square blocks, and those blocks do not always display, and its not that they are slow. They just won't display at all. Navigating around the map fast (forcing these blue squares of nothing to go offscreen and then back on) fixes it.

All the other stuff people have said.

The buttons are huge. Annoying. The map now takes up even more space on a screen I'd rather not waste any space on at all.

Thumbs down. Thanks for the missions. When they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalem View Post
    Yes, cause WoW servers never ever go down for unknown reasons, don't have waiting in line just to play the damn game, and it definately does not have __weekly__ scheduled downtime. And above all, WoW does not ever have __any__ issues post patch. There rumoured non working instance servers following a recent patch did not actually take place. WoW is perfect :P
    OMG

NOTHING IS PERFECT MAN JUST ACCEPT IT !

Funcom programmers need to make an option (at the least), to switch back to the previous Skills menu. The new one is 110% worse than the old one. I don't mean to offend whoever came up with the idea, or worked on it, but it's just plain terrible, IMO.

You cannot see how much IP you are spending. Everything is much smaller and less visible, making it difficult to see. Selecting "save" does not auto-close the window. Why would you want to keep the window open when you're finished? Having a "close" button instead of a "cancel" button isn't an improvement either. Resets are hidden... I simply hate it. The old one had absolutely nothing wrong with it, in my opinion.

The yalm's wiggling around is enough to make a sailor seasick. There's a "nobob camera" option for a reason...

Number one issue that needs to be addressed (although not a GUI issue), is what changes have been made that now cause it to be impossible to run two clients in windowed mode at once. Pre-patch, I could easily run 3 instances without any lag whatsoever. Today, logging 2 accounts at once makes the game slow to such a crawl that it takes literally 10 seconds or more to move the mouse pointer from one side of the screen to the other. Many people pay for multiple accounts, and run more than one at a time. This is a very serious issue.

What on earth are we doing here?! *crumples AO up and throws it out the window*

As to how I feel about the changes:

-> Hate the map buttons, love the new map. I love that it can be docked now.
    -> Love the new skill window. I didn't have a chance to check the issue of total number of remaining IPRs being unavailable; if that's the case, wtb fix ASAP. And I agree with whoever said we need higher contrast in it, I'm all squinty now.
    -> And yes, fortheloveofgod, make the mouse-wheel zooming optional. Words can't begin to convey how much I hate it!!!!three5!

Haven't been able to check the other stuff that was in the patch notes, but it all sounded good, and it looks like the changes have been fine-tuned a good bit even since last time I was on the test server.

I kinda like the new skill window (besides the lag to open it ofcourse), it's more informative and most info is easier to see now, compared to the old one.

i did not notice it when i was playing but omg wtb my reset points back

and i want to know how to make srpb!

Quote Originally Posted by Luiza View Post
    please let us chose/Switch betwen the old/new GUI = all problems solved
    Totally agree. Let's just make the new to default for newbs, since it explains a lot and put an option into options/gui to switch back to old one if the user wants. Ther is noone working at FC who can think like a gamer? Providing alternatives is great, but changing w/o alternative to a less efficent solution is just not wise idea (or shoud i say unbelively stoopid?)....
    The proud president of the Neutral organization Pillanatnyi Elmezavar

Nice layout on new skill window. Will ask some getting used to

And what if FC decides not to fix it? Will you stop playing AO? They obviously had their reasons for doing this.
    A great man once said, "When every class in a MMORPG are complaining equally, you know you have a great game."

Quote Originally Posted by coldasice View Post
    OMG

NOTHING IS PERFECT MAN JUST ACCEPT IT !
    I think your sarcasm detector is defective.

I think your sarcasm detector is defective.
    He can't find it in the new GUI.

nerf!

I don't think I'll ever get why everyone is whining so much about the skill window. the new window is moveable, minimisable, shows a lot more detail than the old on and looks nicer imo. Apart from the lag (Which they are working on fixing) it's an improvement in every way.

IPR's are viewable by ticking them in the i menu at the top left. No whines about that please
    Last edited by Telcea; Aug 29th, 2006 at 18:25:27.
    "How do you prove you exist..?
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX
    FFVIII is extremely underrated. It pwns j00!
    I have a custom title and you don't... oh wait, you do
    I have more posts than Satenia

::::: HugeMap is old, CSPmap is new! (Website) (Download) :::::

GGGGRRRRRR, is all i can muster in this paragraph

now then, the wheel mouse scroll zoom is god awful, i hate it, i hate it, i hate it,

Please give us the option (as every other seasoned player has said) between the old skills ui and the new one, as a MP which is my main now i don;t have too much to do when fighting (pets do it all ;p)so i check my skills all the time, how can i do that when i can;t even see what's going on in the battle that my pet is in 8(

Map aint too bad i suppose i can cope with that if other stuff is fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Csavarkulcs View Post
    Totally agree. Let's just make the new to default for newbs, since it explains a lot and put an option into options/gui to switch back to old one if the user wants. Ther is noone working at FC who can think like a gamer? Providing alternatives is great, but changing w/o alternative to a less efficent solution is just not wise idea (or shoud i say unbelively stoopid?)....
    Got news for you...they will never give the option to switch back. This patch finally eliminates the last remants of the old GUI. People have been asking for option to use old GUI ever since SL when the new GUI changes started trickling in. You might as well get used to it, because they ain't gonna support 2 GUI's
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast