Thread: Feedback Thread: GUI Changes

Skill system: It's laggy and too small, having a hard time placing IP. I dont like the layout of it either. WTB Old one back

Map: Ok I guess, but too big and bulky with the "Mission" buttons etc... WTB Old one back

The new mouse scroll behaviour: tbh, this is complete BS! WTB Old behaviour back

so, to sum it all up...

WTB Old GUI back (why fix it if it aint broken)
    Ithaki 219/17 Adventurer
    Member of: Thug Life

Quote Originally Posted by angercontrol View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xentaris View Post
    ah ok, i checked the GUI a bit better...

Things i don't like:

- Zooming when using scroll wheel... why do that? It's something rarely used, scrolling the right panel up/down is a way more common action, IMHO. To make it nice and coherent with what has always been, zooming should be hooked to CTRL+wheel, since all other camera adjustments are tied to CTRL+mouse
    BUMP!
    BUMP!²

This is hella annoying. I play in locked 3rd person mode. And while the zoom works, holding left mouse button to look around does not work. Now everytime i accidently zoom into 1st person, i zoom out again, and then find myself staring at my char from the front. Wich then means i gotta use the keyboard to readjust.

And how am i supposed to scroll my gigantic programms window in the sidebar now ffs???

Make this optional!

Did 2 mock-up images of the skill UI changes I'd really like to see (suggested in this post) ...

* I didn't stick to the "real" colors that would have resulted from the original image (of unknown origin, I couldn't take my own shot while the servers were down), as there were no green skills in that capture.

* #2 changes skill names to bold white, and bar colors to the color of the skill

* #3 also uses the color in the name of the skill (JPG conversion muted some of the colors)

(personally I prefer #2, but either is a big improvement to my aging eyes ... and I know they wouldn't look exactly like this, its just a framework)
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Quote Originally Posted by Ravedge View Post
    Skill system: It's laggy and too small, having a hard time placing IP. I dont like the layout of it either. WTB Old one back

Map: Ok I guess, but too big and bulky with the "Mission" buttons etc... WTB Old one back

The new mouse scroll behaviour: tbh, this is complete BS! WTB Old behaviour back

so, to sum it all up...

WTB Old GUI back (why fix it if it aint broken)
    Skill GUI can be adjusted, and probably will based on feedback.

Map window you can remove buttons if you don't want them.

The new scroll is somewhat annoying for those using only 3rd person I guess. Should be optional.

Old GUI was broken, that's why it's now fixed.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

WTB old one back, we're all used to this now, don't force feed us to use this new one or give us a choice old gui/new gui, that isn't clear as crystal like the old one plain and simple, i hate the idea you have many sub menus and all this new fancy menu thing and the display of IP you have isn't exactly well done either with 200000 instead of 200,000, Maybe we can learn to love it.. also i experience lag when opening it like when i press F10 to open other menus.
    Last edited by Legion84; Aug 29th, 2006 at 19:25:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastuur View Post
    I actually like the new skill window, and haven't really experienced any lag when opening it. I did find one issue, and I'm not sure if anyones mentioned it yet. The window will not stay tacked when you open it, tack it, close it and reopen it. I'd also like to see both the skill window and the large map retain their positions when you close/open them.

EDIT: Just read Sils post about the issue with the windows losing placement...
    Does the issue with the windows losing placement becuase of custom GUIs have anything to do with the skill window not staying tacked? Just curious...
    ---------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion
    We will sit down on Monday and see where we stand.

If you all haven't heard by now the reason they made the skill and map window so crappy is because they were the two things remaining from the original AO GUI, I don't see any need for these to be modified, like has been said, it wasn't broken, and noone cares to update or skin it.

The new ones are less user friendly, and cmon, for those of you whining about shift clicking, if you've played long enough, you know what does what.

And for those of you that say wow the skill now shows your buffed, it always did that, noone just ever payed attention.

It doesn't lag for me I have no problems with them, but they suck, plain and simple, and I know I'm not the only one that dislikes it, there has to be a way to make it so we can change it back whenever we want, I know that you guys are updating this to bring more people to the game, but your just making everything easier on them, your making the challenge less.

Lets be realistic, there was nothing wrong with them other than they were old, they didn't lag, they didn't have bugs.

Now they are new and lag, and are full of bugs, don't fix something that isn't broken, TRUST me, it doesn't work out.

why why why don't people understand FC aint gonna support 2 different GUI's no matter how many times its posted...no matter how many times its driven into the ground with dozens of posts since SL
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    --------------------------------------------------
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by A lot of silly people
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    The candle wasn't broke, why the hell did we invent lightbulbs.
    Horse and carts worked damn fine, get rid of cars please.

You're not getting the old GUI back, the new GUI is better in many ways, the new GUI can become even better if you make Constructive posts about exactly what you do and don't like.

Kthxbai

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentwidow View Post
    and cmon, for those of you whining about shift clicking, if you've played long enough, you know what does what.
    Of course, screw all the new players who don't know exactly what does what. We know so everyone else is SOL
    Last edited by Telcea; Aug 29th, 2006 at 19:32:11.
    "How do you prove you exist..?
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX
    FFVIII is extremely underrated. It pwns j00!
    I have a custom title and you don't... oh wait, you do
    I have more posts than Satenia

::::: HugeMap is old, CSPmap is new! (Website) (Download) :::::

Cool can i get a hell yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by dellinda View Post
    45 minutes of server trouble and you're finding a new game? LOL

Good thing WoW never ever never, I mean never, has any technical issues.
    yeah... whew!
    also, it would really suck if EVERY TUESDAY there were 8 solid hours of downtime....

oh WAIT.

dear god, people who threaten Blizzard-defection are mind-throttlingly boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Telcea
    You can minimize the skill window and move it out of your way quite easily.
    Doesn't address wanting it up -while- doing things like the old GUI.

You can turn the buttons of through the i menu, though personally I'd prefer them returning the old buttons.
    I allowed for this option in my post ... as in having a 3rd toggle state to go to small icons like before. I even made it note that I knew they could be turned off.

Scanning messages for bits you want to counter without reading the whole thing is bad But I appreciate the pointer about the custom skin.

Sill posted saying that this was an issue with cxustom GUI's I believe, there's a sticky about it.
    pwnt! reverted to the original GUI.

Last I heard, this can be turned of simply by scrolling the map in any direction
    Having an option to do it manually, or at least when you've centered on a mission/shop, would still be mucho appreciato (probably not a word).
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Quote Originally Posted by Qapluss View Post
    Dislike the new Skills window.

WTB old format.

Where to begin ....

Basics:

The primary function of the GUI in a gaming environment is to convey information and allow user control. Clarity and ease of use are key. i.e. Don't put graphics behind text unless the text is part of the artwork and not meant to be read.

The less clicking the user has to do to perform a fuction the better. NEVER add more branches to an exixting user interface that force the user to perform more clicks for the same operation as the old.

Issues:
    The new interface takes up too much window surface and is a hinderance to adding points quickly after leveling in a fast moving team. And no, I dont want the points 'auto distrubted'.

It's harder to navagate than the old.

The point size of the fonts used to display stat points is too small.

It's harder to read the different colored texts on the nice grey background. Who decided that dark blue text on a dark grey backgroud was a good thing?

I totally agree on this, couldn't have said it better myself.

Leave the skillwindow as it was please, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorhyde View Post
    It's still usuable while in minimised view, so you can just stick it in a corner and continue doing whatever you were doing while spedning IP.
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX

telcia and vlain u 2 really sound like the only 2 who actually like this new crap if u cant stand the posts bog off and read the news

Wether you like it or not isn't going to effect sod all I'm afraid. This is the new GUI and you're stuck with it. If you can't handle that then "bog off and read the news"
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorhyde View Post
    Despite my championing of the new GUI, I *do* agree with this, I often spend IP or play with possibilities while running a long way to somewhere, or looking through my bank or whatever.

Rather than requesting the old GUI back, which really truly is *not* going to happen, let's think of ways to retain the excellent changes that have been made while making that old functionality possible again. I'd like to see the transparency of the skill window customizable in the same way as the borderless chat windows are currently -- provided the color scheme is improved somewhat and the text hopefully enlarged.

Quote Originally Posted by superdec View Post
    telcia and vlain u 2 really sound like the only 2 who actually like this new crap if u cant stand the posts bog off and read the news
    I never said I totally like it...I just know that whining to bring the old GUI is completely futile. If you (or anyone else) haven't figured that out in the last 3 years of GUI updates then I truly pity you.

If you want to see improvements the only avenue open to you is to suggest improvments to the new one.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

hehe, sorry to let ya know guys, even thought new gui is horrid, the Devs don't care. On the test server it was addressed for over a month on how aweful it was and all they could say was, sorry it can't go back.

I am not sure which dev was sitting around thinking "let's make the game look like it belongs on an Amiga" but they did and we are stuck with it.

I was always under the impression patches were upgrades, but someone in the FC dev team thinks differently.

I do like the functions of the new IP GUI, I just wish they would have mixed those functions in to the old IP GUI or made one more sci-fi looking, instead of Ford Pinto looking.
    Proud Veteran of Anarchy Online (OMNI)
    Daneel 215 Crat - Leveling
    Blauweballen - 190 Enfo

Quote Originally Posted by dellinda View Post
    Rather than requesting the old GUI back, which really truly is *not* going to happen, let's think of ways to retain the excellent changes that have been made while making that old functionality possible again. <some constructive stuff>
    Marry me plx <3

Just thought I'd also mention that just because not many people are posting here that they LIKE the new GUI, doesn't mean no one does.

Who the hell goes to a forum to compliment something? Pfft, yeah right
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX

Quote Originally Posted by superdec View Post
    Read more closely.

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast