Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB old skill system window

Using a laptop, I absolutely love the scroll wheel zoom.

other then that,
    /sign
    Last edited by draak; Aug 31st, 2006 at 00:34:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysfix View Post
    The new skill menu lacks features the old one did, you cant see your IPr, you also cant see how much ip your putting into a skill without doing math for each point you put in, and it makes my comp freeze up for a second or two... and my comp doesnt lag when i have 2 copies of AO open, so something is wrong! There was no reason to do this to your customers funcom, please give us our old features back!
    QFT. The old one was much more visible and easier to read. You could easily see how much IP it was costing you to raise a skill to xxxx. Now you have to do "reverse math" to calculate how much you're spending. I *loved* the old skills system. It never even bothered me that nano pool and body dev were under "Abilities". You had it right the first time. Please give us the option to choose which interface we prefer. I don't care that the new one has a 2-second lag when you try to bring it up. Fixing that would not make me like it. Old skills interface ftw!

Thumbs down

Right, I'm not so opposed to change with it, but I would prefer something that was at least more user friendly. Right now, I believe the old window was more user friendly.

1. The new window covers too much of my view area. I would increase skills after gaining a level while still navigating around missions. I could also easily view my inventory or items in containers while viewing my skills to see how close I am to equipping various items. This is now much more challenging to do with the new window covering most of my screen sine I prefer to run at only a mere 1024x768 resolution.

The descriptions are neat, but again, as a veteran player I'd rather have the option of more screen space than text describing things I already know.

2. In the old window, it was easy to read the number of points and navigate my way thru it. The category buttons are okay, I guess, but the view of the skills in a category is definitely worse than the way it was before. Checking where skills are at briefly is cumbersome now.

3. Calculating the amount of IP spent in various skills now takes more effort. Sure, the old GUI had its flaws, like large amounts of IP spent in a skill not being viewable, but you could see it in smaller amounts, and shift+click an item to see how much it would cost you to increase it a point.

4. The Escape key doesn't close the new window. This is an annoyance when you're used to hitting escape to cancel, but probably an easy fix for FunCom. I hope it is fixed because I would hate to accidentally save changes I was looking at when I didn't want to save. I often check to see where my IP will be at before saving changes, and if I can't cancel and close the window with Escape then an accident will happen sooner or later.

5. OMGZ, why did ya move Body Dev and Nanopool? I guess I can get used to this one more easily than the others though.

6. Since I don't PvP much, I can't say I'm too bothered by a little lag time when loading the window. But, I can definitely sympathize with people who do PvP and especially with the concern that they could accidentally hit U when itending to hit the I key. That probably would be very bad during a fight or PvP with the current lag time loading the window.

Please FunCom, consider another way of managing our skills that doesn't cover so much space and is possibly more viewable like the old system was.
    Feetus

yea... i dont like the body dev in and nano pool in body its ok but, it could be better

an OPTION like in F10 would be a GREAT idea!

i endorse this 112.6%!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sefus View Post
    You know when you don't wash the dished before your gf gets home... and she starts yelling at you?
    Thats gf aggro. Should be avoided at all costs.
    lol

Bumb

And i agree totaly with what is stated in here.
    The old navigation was much better and more suitable 2 .

I agree with u Beav i would love the feature of being able to go back to the old set-up of the GUI window with all the same features of the new GUI. just as u can go to the old set-up w/o the side features i think we should be able to do the same with the GUI. Plz FC help us =D
    Im n0t teh d0c, im teh t4nk! d0cs d0nt ex1st 4nym0re

It's already been stated quite a few times this is NOT going to happen. It didn't happen with any GUI change in the past three years, it's not going to happen now.
    "How do you prove you exist..?
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX
    FFVIII is extremely underrated. It pwns j00!
    I have a custom title and you don't... oh wait, you do
    I have more posts than Satenia

::::: HugeMap is old, CSPmap is new! (Website) (Download) :::::

Quote Originally Posted by Telcea View Post
    It's already been stated quite a few times this is NOT going to happen. It didn't happen with any GUI change in the past three years, it's not going to happen now.
    I'll +1 that. They can whine and petition all they want. It's not going to bring it back. It's old tech. A last remnant of the original GUI. Asta La vista. Bye Bye.

BTW, the new skill window can be improved. Like allowing the font size in that and other like windows to be changed would be a good improvement.
    Xenixa - Gear/Setup
    General of First Order

Nano-Technician (McFalls') Maxim:
    No degree of acceptance can ever change the facts.
    Translation: You may come to terms with being screwed, but nevertheless you're still screwed.

Making it not give lag first would be a welcome improvement. And use less screen real estate would be next on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekdom View Post
    Making it not give lag first would be a welcome improvement. And use less screen real estate would be next on the list.
    It does use very little screen real estate if you use the Minimized option. Then again I play at 1280x1024. I also havn't witnessed this window lag I keep seeing people talk about. Not saying it doesn't exsist. Just saying I havn't had it happen to me yet on live since the patch was put in.

I did however see a tip around here somewere that said the lag was caused by the window wanting to load a XML file that contains the Auto increment info and that buy deleting the contents of that xml file gets rid of the window load lag. Sorry don't remember the name of the file.
    Xenixa - Gear/Setup
    General of First Order

Translation: You may come to terms with being screwed, but nevertheless you're still screwed.

cd ~/Funcom

rm -rf *.xml

No, seriously don't do that!

I say nay. I also say there are about 3 seperate threads for this
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenixa View Post
    It's old tech. A last remnant of the original GUI. Asta La vista. Bye Bye.
    OLD tech ?? WTF? The new one is considerably more OLD tech style. It is a STEP BACK .. I do not think i have heard 1 positive comment about it.

How can something that Was easy to use .. Did not BLOCK your view etc.. Be considered old tech?

Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmanjack View Post
    I do not think i have heard 1 positive comment about it.
    There's a whole thread for it. No really, a whole thread just for "Petition FOR the new gui"
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

Mehh... ^^^

I did say "Heard" :P

And your right though.. Should go to bed.. its about 5 am here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmanjack View Post
    OLD tech ?? WTF? The new one is considerably more OLD tech style. It is a STEP BACK .. I do not think i have heard 1 positive comment about it.

How can something that Was easy to use .. Did not BLOCK your view etc.. Be considered old tech?

Meh.
    Consider me your first person to say postive things about it then.

And the old one DID infact block your view. It wouldn't allow click through. This one can be minimized and pushed off to the side as nice verticle window. If your playing in 800x600 however I feel sorry for you and that would explain why you seem to think it takes up the whole screen.

And yes it is OLD TECH. in respects to the GUI programming. It's left over antiquated code that had to go.
    Xenixa - Gear/Setup
    General of First Order

ERR i play at much better then 800-600 (Shudders in horrer lol)

So tell me.. Just how the hell is this new one better? Your argument for the old one is "cant click through" ... How are we suposed to click through a huge box ?

And the old one might have had areas where you "Couldnt click through" but those areas were a hell of a lot smaller then this new monstrosity.

You assume I wanted to click through this new window. I said no such thing. I did say it can be put in minimized mode and pushed off to the side. Why is that better? Because the old one sat right smack dab in the middle of the screen and scaled with screen size. You couldn't move it out of the way. You couldn't move other windows like say Backpack windows or Info windows if the tinyest bit of that window was under the old skill gui. It was cumbersome and got in the way all the time when I was working on twinking and need to click on other items to get thier stats up in an info window to compare to my current skills. I would constantly have to open and close the skill view just to scroll a inventory window to info view an item. Now with the ability to minimize the skill window and shove it off to the side I can more easily arrange all my windows.

That explaination enough for you?
    Xenixa - Gear/Setup
    General of First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Healyhatman View Post
    There's a whole thread for it. No really, a whole thread just for "Petition FOR the new gui"
    8 replies compared to 140?

Yeah...

Just realize there are alot of players who do NOT like this new look

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast