Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reward: 0 SK --- lame

Quote Originally Posted by Rockempire View Post
    Wait wait wait! Let's back up a second here for my benefit. You have to pay for another account in order to assist with bug finding on the test server? Have I been taking crazy pills? Is this for real?
    No, 8 toons per server, that includes test, on one account
    "How do you prove you exist..?
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX
    FFVIII is extremely underrated. It pwns j00!
    I have a custom title and you don't... oh wait, you do
    I have more posts than Satenia

::::: HugeMap is old, CSPmap is new! (Website) (Download) :::::

I would like to clear a few things up as there is apparently going around some pretty wild rumors on how things work on the test server and making wrong assumptions based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by legionofone View Post
    IT IS FC'S FAULT! The reason none of the patches get tested is because NO ONE CAN... SK is un-testable above level 30... because there’s no one up there... we have a bunch of 220s that get paid to test and there’s nothing else... like i have said before... allow us to either copy our characters onto test or allow us to create a 215 of whatever character we want and build it how we want it and then stuff will get tested...
    Please Legionofone get your facts straight, first the majority of players on test are 100+, a small number of them are over 200 so few actually that issues will slip through. There is a little number of 220's that get paid that are on test they are employees of FC manly Developers or PQA/QA representatives. Everyone else that either have a 220 char that is not any of those have a function on test either as BH/ET or CoT we all have other chars to test whit when needed as we do. Professionals do also have 220 chars on test where we try to mirror their equipment on live.
    Also Copy is not an option because that requires every charter copy to be done manually and that would take so much manpower from FC that it would delay patches even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Apalonia View Post
    I always get in trouble when I post because I am 1 of those people that don’t like paying for something I can’t use, but that for another rant.

I think if people agree the problem is how AO uses "Test" then maybe more will be gained by revamping "Test". Maybe instead of making you pay the full price of a monthly subscription and only get to use that account for "Test", there should be a way of having 1 or 2 chars on "Test" along with your 7 you can create on regular servers. The point is the system doesn’t work and it's really starting to annoy people.

Rather than continue down the path we are on, maybe we could change how we do a few things? Not the whole game or all that but a few things that could make a difference in the Live environment. Let’s use "Test" to its fullest potential and quit trying to make more money off people to do all your testing.
    Apalonia I am afraid you have misunderstood whit your account you can create 8 characters(0-7) on every dimension that means 8 chars on RK0, RK1, RK2 and RK3 and that is all included in that one account you own, so you have actually access to 16(24) on the regular dimensions (if you don't mind German language) and 8 on the test dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockempire View Post
    Wait wait wait! Let's back up a second here for my benefit. You have to pay for another account in order to assist with bug finding on the test server? Have I been taking crazy pills? Is this for real?
    Rockempire don’t worry you have not been taking crazy pills; it was all a misunderstanding that hopefully was cleared up above.

As always if you have a questions please do send me a PM.

Basicly I wouldn't mind helping out on TEST except for 2 reasons.

1. Leveling a lvl 1 to a useful level to test in INF and Pand would be nigh on impossible with the character wipes.

2. When I copy my AO folder using the program, The launcher cannot find the patch and fails. (deleted and run several times)

Gimpedx10
    Last edited by GimpedX10; Sep 1st, 2006 at 15:32:47. Reason: Fixed typo

Quote Originally Posted by GimpedX10 View Post
    Basicly I wouldn't mind helping out on TEST except for 2 reasons.

1. Leveling a lvl 1 to a useful level to test in INF and Pand would be nigh on impossible with the character wipes.

2. When I copy my AO folder using the program, The launcher cannot find the patch and fails. (deleted and run several times)

Gimpedx10
    1. What character wipes ? There havn't been one in 3 years and there does not look like ther will be one in the next 3 either, if however one should occure there is ways to make the loss of levels so painfull. When the last and only wipe on test was we made it so that every one that got to level 25 whit in x amount of days got a boost to level 100, and people did start groups to get to level 25 fast, of course by the time theye found a BH, there wasn't many of us then, most was allready between 50-100 and some was even higer.

2. This often happens when there is no patch from the current version on live to test like it is now. However that can be "fixed" by changing the information in your version.id file in your test server directory to say 16.3.0.13_EP1, the 16.3.1 patch never made it to test first so we lag a bit behind.
    Last edited by Eponyx; Sep 1st, 2006 at 16:06:43.

Epoynx,

I was mearly following the notes posted on the Become a Tester page.

"We may from time to time have to do "player wipes" (i.e. erasing all player characters from the server), "

As I had stated I have not been able to launch the client to the Test server. (I will try to make the Version ID change shortly)

GimpedX10

Epoynx,

I was mearly following the notes posted on the Become a Tester page.

"We may from time to time have to do "player wipes" (i.e. erasing all player characters from the server), "

As I had stated I have not been able to launch the client to the Test server. (I will try to make the Version ID change shortly)

GimpedX10
    I understand that, that is why I wanted to clarify that issue. And you might want to hold off that version.id change as test is just brought down for patching to get uptodate whit 16.3.1
    Last edited by Eponyx; Sep 1st, 2006 at 16:46:59.

i.e. they reserve the right to do so... and have once actually done so. They'd be loathed to do it again though unless it was really necessary, and there are mechanisms now in place to try and ensure that it won't be necessary ever again.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Quote Originally Posted by Telcea View Post
    No, 8 toons per server, that includes test, on one account
    Ok thanks, I thought my head might explode from the shock before.

If they did do it that way, I doub't they would have even a single tester
    "How do you prove you exist..?
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX
    FFVIII is extremely underrated. It pwns j00!
    I have a custom title and you don't... oh wait, you do
    I have more posts than Satenia

::::: HugeMap is old, CSPmap is new! (Website) (Download) :::::

You couldn't blitz the bosses in pen missions, it only gave u the SK if you had 100% completed in the mission.

People tried and also we finished a mission at 70% and got 0 SK.

Quote Originally Posted by Eponyx View Post
    Also Copy is not an option because that requires every charter copy to be done manually and that would take so much manpower from FC that it would delay patches even more.
    I just have one slight problem with this. Nothing should be keeping Funcom from easilly devicing a way to automate character transfers. Afterall, it should be a fairly straight forward duplication of database entries unless Testlive really differs from Live in which case it's rather pointless anyways.

But i still think the amount of players on Testlive to actually test in all level ranges is apalling.
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Sir "Eoemar" Trevallien -=- Supreme Creator
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library
    http://bebot.shadow-realm.org/ - BeBot - An Anarchy Online Chat Automaton
    http://aodevs.com/ - Anarchy Online 3rd party developers resource

"Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games."
    -- Former AO Game Director Marius Enge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123