Thread: What happened?

What happened?

FIRST this is NOT a flame. This is a serious attempt to get Some Idea of why it was decided to make the quest reward aimed at MP's what it is. I just want to understand what was the thinking behind this.

Please Ehno, Sirillion, anyone that was in on the design stages :

What happened during the Design process for the MP quest? What led the Designers to think that we ( MP's ) needed another creation weapon when we have been literally BEGGING for a new Mezz pet? was it BECAUSE we have been asking for a new mezz pet, that we were given a creation weapon that will almost certainly go unused?

What happened During the Design process that led the designers to make a quest reward like this for MP's?

alot of good solid suggestions have been made for usefull creation weapons. Why were these ignored in favor of a weapon that does no damage, gives no benefits other than increaseing a heal pets heals by a relatively small margine? the MP's are not Primary healers. We are not Secondary Healers. We rank somewhere around 4th or so if that.

Increasing our Heal pet by a smallish margin is NOT going to improve this standing. Now if the Staff turned our Heal pet into a Team Heal. THAT would have been a quest reward! A creation weapon that Turns our Mezz pet into an Improved Version, THAT would have been Phenomenal! A creation weapon that turned Temulten into an Area Mezz would have made most MP's extatic! a Creation weapon that gave a Dmg boost and put a Taunt on our Dmg pets would have had us Singing your praises!

We already suffer from a Dmg Pet that wont hold agro and no way to make it hold agro, even if we are sitting down at the far end of the room. We have a Mezz pet that by level 200 is out dated by 75 levels or more. We have a line of creation nanos that with one or two notable exceptions is almost entirely worthless. We have TWO lines of Shadowland Debuffs that take so long to cast they really arent worth using except in very limited Circumstances.

So PLEASE someone just tell me why? why this? What about this creation weapon with an effect of increasing the heal pets efficiency by 12% seemed an appropriate reward for a relatively involved quest?
    After ToTW
    A Guide To ToTW

There is a lot of grey beween usefull and useless.
    Mortiigs of SL UNITE! We WILL fling poo at you!

Think yourself lucky.

We NTs got a nano that does nothing but empty our nanopools.
    Uni "Unixint80" Idoru, 206/13 Neutral NT Veteran of Shattered Dreams
    What I've Got My Perk Setup My Nuke Setup (All slightly outdated)

FREE BOREALIS!!!

As for the mezz pet, it seems quite likely that with SL FC simply decided they didn't see mezz pets as something they want to continue, and focus on MP pets for damage and healing. Similar to the way they discontinued the agent false profession line - it still works as well as it did when SL came out, but will never get any better than that. Consider it lucky that it didn't get a not in sl flag like GA did - though at least GA got a parallel nano line.

As for the weapon, there are several interesting yet useless weapons in this patch. If you look at them, they do things weapons haven't done before. You have creation staffs already - but until now, there was no weapon that uploaded a nano when you equip it the first time, and no nano that required you to be weilding a specific item to use it.

There is also no weapon out there doing debuffs in quite the same way the engie/trader guns do. It has a %chance to land depending on your skill, then stacks with itself up to a certain cap. This is a new idea, they haven't done before.

Same thing with the trader/nt nanos. They are trying a new sort of reflect, and its the first time we have a nano that works differently for nm vs other breeds. Sadly it seems to work not at all for NM, but that's obviously not the idea.

Look at what they are doing, and consider they might be playing with how to implement ideas they have for LE, without putting anything on the servers that is going to change game balance in an unexpected way.

The bright side being , you got something. Whats in it for say, crats or agents? Nothing any better than your toy staff that you'll only use to prance around bore or make screen shots with. <grin>
    Slimsobe retired 220 opifex trader General of New Movement
    Oneeyedjim 175 nanomage crat

"You will never understand bureaucracies until you understand that for bureaucrats procedure is everything and outcomes are nothing."

Small nitpick Sobe. NT's have nanos that require a specific item to be equipped in order to cast. Cyberdeck nukes.

As for getting something, if Funcom gives you a lollipop stick just to keep you quiet, are you happy? Are your class problems now suddenly solved? Do you really feel you have gotten anything at all since you didn't even get a tiny piece of lollipop on the stick?
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Sir "Eoemar" Trevallien -=- Supreme Creator
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library
    http://bebot.shadow-realm.org/ - BeBot - An Anarchy Online Chat Automaton
    http://aodevs.com/ - Anarchy Online 3rd party developers resource

"Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games."
    -- Former AO Game Director Marius Enge

Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Idoru View Post
    Think yourself lucky.

We NTs got a nano that does nothing but empty our nanopools.
    Yup we got lucky, we got a stick that doesnt do anything bug gimp our dmg even more than it already is. 12% healing efficiency and 200 to our Heal Pets Nano Cast init Does not balance with a complete or near complete loss of dmg we get for using it. or we could gimp ourselves even more by trying to spend into two different weapon class's at the same time. But in order to Hotswap those weapons we have to make sure we can self equip both weapons. kinda touch in late game play with dark blue weapon skills.

Quote Originally Posted by sobeguy View Post
    As for the mezz pet, it seems quite likely that with SL FC simply decided they didn't see mezz pets as something they want to continue, and focus on MP pets for damage and healing.
    I wish this were the case. But I truely think as I stated earlier that if this were the case then why not make the last heal pet we get more effective by having the staff make the heal pet a team heal? 12% isnt really that effective a boost. I could quote the numbers that others have crunched here. if thats what is needed to show the point I was trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by sobeguy View Post
    Similar to the way they discontinued the agent false profession line - it still works as well as it did when SL came out, but will never get any better than that. Consider it lucky that it didn't get a not in sl flag like GA did - though at least GA got a parallel nano line.[/quote

Yes Fixers did get a parallel line. and as to Agents FP, we dont know that it wont get any better. Has that been stated somewhere? Do you really want Shade melee proc buffs? or the Aura buffs from a keeper? personally I really dont see what those two proffesions have to offer an agent as far as FP goes. Agents on the other hand got some great new weapons with AI. Some good Hud items for +crit etc. we got the whiner...err Rhiwen.

As for the weapon, there are several interesting yet useless weapons in this patch. If you look at them, they do things weapons haven't done before. You have creation staffs already - but until now, there was no weapon that uploaded a nano when you equip it the first time, and no nano that required you to be weilding a specific item to use it.

There is also no weapon out there doing debuffs in quite the same way the engie/trader guns do. It has a %chance to land depending on your skill, then stacks with itself up to a certain cap. This is a new idea, they haven't done before.

Same thing with the trader/nt nanos. They are trying a new sort of reflect, and its the first time we have a nano that works differently for nm vs other breeds. Sadly it seems to work not at all for NM, but that's obviously not the idea.

Look at what they are doing, and consider they might be playing with how to implement ideas they have for LE, without putting anything on the servers that is going to change game balance in an unexpected way.

The bright side being , you got something. Whats in it for say, crats or agents? Nothing any better than your toy staff that you'll only use to prance around bore or make screen shots with. <grin>
    Much of what you say is true. My original Point was that if they were going to do this with the creation weapon why didnt they go with something that would actually be usefull and be used? They had a goodly amount of time to test this. and in testing for some reason the heal efficiency percentage went from 5% with 500 to inits, to 12% with 200 to init. Not somthing Mp's are willing to give up all their damage for, or severly nerf their damage in attempting to train up two very different skill sets for. Had this staff turned Mortificant into an AOE heal pet. I would gladly have dealt with recasting the stick every 2hrs with the subsequent drop in HP (similar to spawning a Pocket boss) and nano. meaning recasting in a dungeon is quite out of the question unless you really trust your team to not Pull adds while you are recasting the stick or you have completely cleared the level. Which at times would mean you would have to do without the extra healing when said stick disappeared in the middle of a fight.
    Course this would also mean retraining a number of perks and spending quite a chunk of my next levels IP into 2HB but it would be worth it if Mortificant would do a team heal. It would have been greatly worth it had this stick made Temulten do an AOE mezz. no where near worth the drawbacks and penalties for 12% and a fairly involved quest besides.

I am NOT argueing that NT, Crats, and Traders need love. FAR from it. I love thos guys even if Funcom doesnt . BUT I dont understand why , if we were goiung to be sent on into the mouth of the New ToTW to quest for a new nano, it couldnt be something we could actually USE.

Thats all I ask. Why? Has the backup mezzer part of the MP concept been dropped or has the MP been re-envisioned as a Healing class? if so Please give us heals that are usefull and puts us somewhere other than 4th or 5th in the ranks of healers. If the Backup Mezzer part of the MP concept has not been dropped, give us a new mezz pet even if we have to quest for it. Give us something to improve the Mezz pet we currently have.

Just tell us.
    After ToTW
    A Guide To ToTW

Just to correct two small things.

The staff is not a creation weapon. It looks like it, but it's a permanent item, not a temporary one who drain you to 1hp.

The nano init from the staff is not on the heal pet but on the MP (which is useless cause 200 init wont help cast 30s pet or SL debuff. And every 180+ MP should insta-cast every nukes).

Quote Originally Posted by willlliams View Post
    Just to correct two small things.

The staff is not a creation weapon. It looks like it, but it's a permanent item, not a temporary one who drain you to 1hp.

The nano init from the staff is not on the heal pet but on the MP (which is useless cause 200 init wont help cast 30s pet or SL debuff. And every 180+ MP should insta-cast every nukes).

Woops for some reason I was thinking Creation staff (my bad probably the reused mesh from one of the creation nanos that threw me off )

Thank you for clearing that part up
    as to your third part, yes and no. Lately I have been noticing with 1400+ nano init
    that even at full 100% attack speed. I am still occasionally hitting a bug where MQ takes a full second to cast still working out why this is , thats why I havent complained about it yet

A
    After ToTW
    A Guide To ToTW

EDIT: nevermind dont want my thread getting warped out of sight and mind to the Suggestions forum before someone answers.
    After ToTW
    A Guide To ToTW

Quote Originally Posted by Atlasdreamer View Post
    We are not Secondary Healers. We rank somewhere around 4th or so if that.
    I would consider 4th place healers "secondary".. NTs have zero healing expcept for first aid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    We wouldn't make the nano in the first place if we didn't feel that it would be useful and at the very least a decent addition to any given professions nano listing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abalz
    LOL

What you are sugesting, also is complex to design and code.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Member of Angels of the night, Rimor

Quote Originally Posted by Atlasdreamer View Post
    Yup we got lucky, we got a stick that doesnt do anything bug gimp our dmg even more than it already is. 12% healing efficiency and 200 to our Heal Pets Nano Cast init Does not balance with a complete or near complete loss of dmg we get for using it. or we could gimp ourselves even more by trying to spend into two different weapon class's at the same time. But in order to Hotswap those weapons we have to make sure we can self equip both weapons. kinda touch in late game play with dark blue weapon skills.
    As stated elsewhere already.. I wish they'd at least made this staff 1HB (or even changeable to energy?). I'd gladly remove my Asmodian (which isn't of much use in a team anyways) for the staff, but I'll never remove my alium hammor that took me a day to get on, or spend a million IP into 2HB.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyloche View Post
    What you are sugesting, also is complex to design and code.
    Yes, yes it is. So would be 30+ quests. Resetting/designing Mobs. Creating Two Versions on a nano. at least 2 new weapons, other than the Gimpstick. Do I need to go farther?

Quote Originally Posted by Abalz View Post
    I would consider 4th place healers "secondary".. NTs have zero healing expcept for first aid.
    Yes yes Abalz, we all know how Nerfed NT's are. I feel for you truely I do. But this isnt about you(NT's). i

Quote Originally Posted by Shaoleet View Post
    As stated elsewhere already.. I wish they'd at least made this staff 1HB (or even changeable to energy?). I'd gladly remove my Asmodian (which isn't of much use in a team anyways) for the staff, but I'll never remove my alium hammor that took me a day to get on, or spend a million IP into 2HB.
    Or the Pistol MP's that the $diety knows how long it took them to finally get their pistols on, let alone the amount of cred etc. The point is, all of our weapon skills are dark blue. which means any weapon is damn hard to put on late game. why in the name of $diety would we bother trying to reset/reperk/reequip for this?
    After ToTW
    A Guide To ToTW