Thread: You still forgot to add information to Map Navigation skill

You still forgot to add information to Map Navigation skill

How many newbies have put IP in that and regretted it later because it is not resetable?! You hide that information skillfully inside that stupid /help that nearly noone reads anyway completely.

I thought you wanted to do AO easier understandable for all. If it is still so, then please add that information (that map navigation is not resetable) directly inside the map navigation description (anyone of you guys have ever heard of something called software ergonomy? ).

Or remove it completely from the game! Stupid invention without any good purpose if you ask me. Make all upgrades and maps immediately available to all. That would help a lot of newbies to navigate through AO.

A very angry,
    Tekvorian
    Last edited by Tekvorian; Sep 10th, 2006 at 05:30:01.

There is no way this omission is accidental...not after the last controversial map navigation thread (which I noticed has since been deleted, likely because it contained official letters between a digruntled player and fc support).

I think it stinks, but for whatever reason FC doesn't seem to want this information to be obvious without doing a forum search on the topic...which will most likely only occur after the person has already messed up their toon. I can think of no other reason for this other than an intentional time sink for noobs that will likely decide to reroll when they realize their toon can never reach its full potential because they have ip locked in map nav.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    --------------------------------------------------
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

I tend to believe people are forgetfull, rather than evil. Guess I'm naive
    RK1:220/30 Alicia "Muhandes" Jolt General of Destiny. My setup/A quick screenshot
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    "Guides": 210 symbs before 170, 220 symbs before 180, NM Engi Twinking 205, 210, 215, 220.
    WTB ql150 weapons, Grand Armbands, Eye of the Evening Star.

Bump. Having this info right in the description would be really, really nice and newbie-friendly. I can see no downside to it, and adding a couple of lines in the skill.xml file shouldn't be too hard .

Better make a window pop up that informs you MN is not resettable when you first put IP into it.
    I doubt people read the skill description ... well, I also doubt they read popups, but it´s worth a try after all.
    Hardestdrugs, Doctor, 220
    Tenderly, Enforcer, 215
    Adacta, Bureaucrat, 220
    Midshipman, Soldier, 216

A small, cute dog is called a doggy.
    A small, cute girl is called a girly.
    Now what do we call a small, cute Org ?

Personally I never raised map nav anyway, even when I first started, people need to ask questions and moreover, people need to answer, every time a noob asks a question some **** makes a crack about pressing alt F4 or something, not really being helpful.

I agree with the asking questions & getting them answered properly thing, but I also think that basic info like that should be readily available in the most obvious of all places...which in this case, is the skill description. There is certainly plenty of info on it on the forums, but what noob is going to have any reason to search for forum info on map nav until they've already messed it up?

Not only that (and this is a separate, but related issue that still bugs me) you can't search the forums for words that are 3 letters or less, so searches for 'map nav' will return zero results. Thus the only way to find the forum info is with a roundabout forum search like 'navigation, reset', which still gives you a very mixed bag of results that you will have to sift through.

Personally, I think the best solution for FC would be to allow a reset on map navi provided all maps & upgrades are lost with it. This has also been suggested many times.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

~Lewis Carroll

Wink

If your paying attention when you enter a zone you don't have an upgrade for, notice how you can see everything for a split second and the code kicks in and blots out your mini map. This Map navigation feature is foolish and not needed. Let people see where the freck they are going already sheeesh.

Sadly it won't happen and if it does I'd be shocked. Making yalms wobble and borking this because we adjusted this and wait for a patch to fix this...please be patient. If I didn't know better I'd conclude most of the dynamics in this games code are a mystery to the very people using it.

So herei s a solution.......If your Clan you see all Clan controlled areas, towers included(untill destroyed). Same deal with omni. You want to see more, find an upgrade!(mission reward,loot what have you). Oh,and neutrals can only see the top edge of the fence they are sitting on ....problem solved.

hmm.. I wonder why people are so critical about IPs in map navi... ok, they're lost for good, but there are several nice items to buff mapnavi to upload the maps - and I couldn't imagine ever resetting it. I've learnt to use the map as an integral aid for crowd/add control and all my toons have all the maps uploaded as soon as possible - without running into IP problems due to that, yet.
    The only reason for not wanting mapnavi I can see is people who rarely leave the Shadowlands..
    (but mentioning the nonresettability in the skill description should be fixed nevertheless..)

Quote Originally Posted by saran View Post
    If I didn't know better I'd conclude most of the dynamics in this games code are a mystery to the very people using it.
    Heh, that's because:

AO = Junior Varsity Team
    AoC = Varsity Team

I can't prove that ofc, but sometimes I wonder if all the original AO coders didn't graduate to AoC.

(That's just a joke Sil. I'm sure there are plenty of excellent coders on the AO team.)

~Lewis Carroll