Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possible issue with not being able to drop items on teh ground.

possible issue with not being able to drop items on teh ground.

In team mishes, for find item missions, sometimes the wrong team member will pick up the item. In the past this was not an item, as they could drop it and the mish puller could target it to complete the mish.

Now you dont have the option of dropping it, which stops you from being able to complete the mish.

Thoughts...

ANi.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

i agree... heck i picked up a item... and it wouldent let me drop it or complete the mish even though i was the holder... we cant even drop items in our appartments

I agree, this is sometig they clearly dident think trhu.

The consequence however is that only "furniture" items may be found as "fid items".
    Xerfi - 205 Fixer, General of Argentum Astrum

I agree this is indeed a problem. People will have to be much more carefull now who picks the item.
    RK1:220/30 Alicia "Muhandes" Jolt General of Destiny. My setup/A quick screenshot
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    "Guides": 210 symbs before 170, 220 symbs before 180, NM Engi Twinking 205, 210, 215, 220.
    WTB ql150 weapons, Grand Armbands, Eye of the Evening Star.

And this places AO in a very unfortunate category: "Games where missions can be impossible to solve due to carelessness."
    Moonleg, 220 Adventurer and never levelling again!
    Fixored, 167 gridrunner
    Lunarblade, 94 honorable keeper.
    Lavan, 115 pretty-boy doctor that needs more levels.
    Moonatic, 117 tinkerer of gizmos.
    Fortehwin, 211 shadow-creeper. With glowsticks.
    Ammoonium, 108 NT gimpz0r.
    Dingbot, 100 XP-stick.
    Runalot,169 freexer.
    Horsehumper, 36 hor ... I mean, fist-fighter.
    Debuff, 46 wrangle-giver.

I think they did that to lower the stress/lag on the servers as they have to manage how much time is left on dropped items, see if it's time to delete them. Everyone can see a dropped item.

Maybe they could change it like this:
    -Can drop furniture, all see it, time unlimited, if you zone it disappears.
    -Can drop anything else, only you can see it, time 2min, if you zone it disappears.

Now missions: well I did it time and again pre 16.3: use higher char to blitz mission, transfer item, drop, target, done. So, if we can drop again anything, just trade the item to mission leader and drop it/target. The rest of the team just won't see it. BTW, change this too: right-clicking on a nano on the ground picks it up, NOT u/l it if you can. Did that once, was something like Bow Inexpertise. No need to say I borked the mission.

3 bests solutions (IMHO) would be:
    -------------------------------------
    1. Bring back old behavior (but invisible for others unless a furniture);
    2. Make it a choice: drop deletes or drops on ground (but invisible for others unless a furniture) <- maybe limit to "3 owned items on the ground", which should count furnitures;
    3. Drop sends to Overflow (right-click/delete won't) if not a furniture, oldest item on 21 (provided it can already hold 21 items, I never tested past about 4) really gets deleted, zone flushes overflow like always;

#3 <-- why? simple, I'm sure some ppl already lost items being too used to the "ok, I can drop this a sec to [do this or that, might be to buy a bag]" behavior. Was useful in that way, especially when bank is full (and you can't temp put some items in it), think "Windows trashcan"/safeguard;
    <<--- ofc then ppl will complain not being able to open the overflow window on command (unless it opens like when you do have an overflow), but since we can't (manually) put any items in it since a couple of patches ago (THANKS FC! I lost a QL200 bio-comm before that patch because of carelessness, good change, 3 thumbs up) it wouldn't be a problem to add a key stroke sequence to open it now, no? Sure sure, it could be exploited to extend the inventory but zone deleting and unhability (currently) to open it on command might discourage (a little) that behavior.

My whole logic might be flawed and downright impossible to put in, that much I know.

[Edit] Changed #2
    Last edited by Makabey; Sep 10th, 2006 at 15:01:45.

RK mission teams still exist outside the froob community? . . .

MEGGY
    RK1 Metalain ~ 220 (21) MP
    RK1 Magz ~ 220 (15) DOC

When in panic, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.
    Rk4 Solja in Sunglasses?

Quote Originally Posted by Makabey View Post
    I think they did that to lower the stress/lag on the servers as they have to manage how much time is left on dropped items, see if it's time to delete them. Everyone can see a dropped item.
    As already said by sil, the reason it was done was to avoid certain exploits, which of course cannot be discussed openly.
    RK1:220/30 Alicia "Muhandes" Jolt General of Destiny. My setup/A quick screenshot
    "Guides": 210 symbs before 170, 220 symbs before 180, NM Engi Twinking 205, 210, 215, 220.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabey View Post
    -Can drop furniture, all see it, time unlimited, if you zone it disappears.
    Which would make apartments embarassingly empty.
    Main:
    Ignyte
    President of Corporate Justice (Atlantean)

Gameplayer
    Editor, Writer

Quote Originally Posted by AlcoholicMeg View Post
    RK mission teams still exist outside the froob community? . . .

I have seen it tried, but it failed horribly.

Quote Originally Posted by muha View Post
    As already said by sil, the reason it was done was to avoid certain exploits, which of course cannot be discussed openly.
    Looks to me like it already was.
    Slimsobe retired 220 opifex trader General of New Movement
    Oneeyedjim 175 nanomage crat

"You will never understand bureaucracies until you understand that for bureaucrats procedure is everything and outcomes are nothing."

The nodrop of items is rather annoying and i think should be changed so that it is possible to finish mishes when noobster picks up the wrong item.

As for being able to spell dirty words with items, or massive happy faces in borealis with robot junk, yeah, i miss the good all days..

ANi.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

Solution:

make aditional flag on "find items" : Can be droped in dungeons flaged as "mission".

Make flag on mission dungeons: Mission.
    Xerfi - 205 Fixer, General of Argentum Astrum

Quote Originally Posted by Animosity View Post
    As for being able to spell dirty words with items, or massive happy faces in borealis with robot junk, yeah, i miss the good all days..

ANi.
    You can still spell dirty words with lava lamps. In facts, they were the prime item for dirty word spelling anyway.

You can still spell dirty words with lava lamps. In facts, they were the prime item for dirty word spelling anyway.
    hehe i used to make pictures with my dropped items

Infact we made smiley faces and other drawings on the walls at VE's party it was fun.
    "If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please', I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'."

SirNegs - Neutral Keeper
    Negs - Neutral MP
    Lode - Neutral Doctor

Are you saying I can't put items in my apartment anymore?
    and are you also saying I can't put little boxes on the wall anymore?

That was a screwed up way to go about it, I think. Although since we can't talk about it w'll never know, huh?

pffft
    WTB lil "?" boxes!!
    Joe "Sefus" Werkit 212/17
    Squad Commander - PR - Recruitment
    3305 Local

Can someone please explain to me the logic of not discussing this? I mean, I can see why we can't discuss exploits that haven't been patched - that's a nobrainer. But why can't we discuss things that have been FIXED?!

If the exploit requires you to drop something on the ground, and you can't drop it on the ground anymore, then ... Why can't we discuss what it was all about?

In pure speculation, someone probably found a way of dropping nodrops in HQ where others could pick them up or something.
    Moonleg, 220 Adventurer and never levelling again!
    Fixored, 167 gridrunner
    Lunarblade, 94 honorable keeper.
    Lavan, 115 pretty-boy doctor that needs more levels.
    Moonatic, 117 tinkerer of gizmos.
    Fortehwin, 211 shadow-creeper. With glowsticks.
    Ammoonium, 108 NT gimpz0r.
    Dingbot, 100 XP-stick.
    Runalot,169 freexer.
    Horsehumper, 36 hor ... I mean, fist-fighter.
    Debuff, 46 wrangle-giver.

The phrase "Working as intended" springs to mind here.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonleg View Post
    Can someone please explain to me the logic of not discussing this? I mean, I can see why we can't discuss exploits that haven't been patched - that's a nobrainer. But why can't we discuss things that have been FIXED?!

If the exploit requires you to drop something on the ground, and you can't drop it on the ground anymore, then ... Why can't we discuss what it was all about?

In pure speculation, someone probably found a way of dropping nodrops in HQ where others could pick them up or something.
    Two reasons.

The main reason being that it gives people ideas they might not have come up with had they not seen the discussion, which in turn can lead to new exploits being discovered and abused as a result.

The second reason is that Funcom belives in security trough obscurity, which unfortunately, does not work as proven time and time again.
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Sir "Eoemar" Trevallien -=- Supreme Creator
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library
    http://bebot.shadow-realm.org/ - BeBot - An Anarchy Online Chat Automaton
    http://aodevs.com/ - Anarchy Online 3rd party developers resource

"Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games."
    -- Former AO Game Director Marius Enge

Which I missed, sorry and thanks for pointing that out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast