Thread: Skillview is messed up - Unable to raise skills.

Skillview is messed up - Unable to raise skills.

Yes, another thread regarding the new skill window!

The problem here is; I can't raise skills. I have 200k worth of IP on my crat that I can't spend, due to the fact that the buttons to raise skills are gone. Completely, kaputt. Poof!

Anyone else have this problem and have a solution for it?
    Tranceptor - Level 220/30/?? Omni Solitus Godfather - Nemesis of Chaos - /born July 2001, still going strong(ish)
    Twincaliber - Level 220/11 Omni Atrox Vanguard
    Kansho - Level 206+/14 Omni Opifex MA
    Sakayuri - Level 165+ Omni Solitus Crat.
    Unimusha - L132+ Omni Solitus Soldier
    Kryozz - L41+ Omni Nanomage NT
    Twelvegauge - L19+ Omni Solitus Trader
    Kasima - L13+ Omni Solitus Doctor

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.”

using a custom gui maybe? not updated
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

I was using a custom one, and it was working fine. Then I reset it earlier today because of a crash to desktop when trying to open the planetmap, and then I haven't been able to raise skills since.
    Tranceptor - Level 220/30/?? Omni Solitus Godfather - Nemesis of Chaos - /born July 2001, still going strong(ish)

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.”

well i bet its something with the patching since u surley had a custom one when u patched, reinstall
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

Ok. Just re-installed, still the same thing. Something is seriously wrong.

Did you reinstall over the previous install or did you do a clean one, if you reinstall over a previous install you are more likly to end up whit the issue that you allready have as the broken files are not deleted, and just the basic game files and gui files are replaced, where as preferences and files generated when you frun the game is still there and can make the same issue apear again.

If I hadn't seen the 200+ chars in your sig, I'd have suggested you've hit titlecap

Had this issue myself once.. removed the prefs dir of that char and it worked fine again. Don't know in which way that got messed up, though..
    Marcos "Sisyphos" Bacarella - lvl 220 Enforcer 2HB *slam* *hack*
    Prof. Steven "Techleet" Falken - lvl 220 Engineer *solder* *screw* *BOOM*
    and the cuddly leet family -=(DNW miss yoo!)=-
    Through the ranks of the Unbeliever we shall move, creating a river of blood as we go.

Does this problem affects only one of your characters, or all of them? If all have the same problem, that most likely means that your skill.xml file is corrupted . If it is only your crat, then a quick and dirty fix would be probably to delete prefs.xml from your char's directory (note: there are several files called prefs.xml in AO; you want to delete only one, located inside your affected char's folder).

Deleting it will screw up some of your settings by resetting them to default values, but it will most likely cure your problem. Or instead of deleting it, you can replace it by another prefs.xml file copied from another char's folder.

By the way, can you post a screenie? I have a couple guesses about what exactly may have caused this problem, but w/o looking at the screenie or, even better, your skills.xml and prefs.xml, it is hard to say for sure.

Okay, I finally fixed it. I removed my ao installation completely, and just backed up the prefs and scripts folders. Made a clean install ( on a faster disk too, which I should've done ages ago ) and now it's working fine again.

Weirdness.

Dunno how this happened, but atleast I got it to work now. The problem wasn't on just one character either, it was on all characters, on both accounts. :P

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Dunno how this happened, but atleast I got it to work now. The problem wasn't on just one character either, it was on all characters, on both accounts. :P

Well, that indicates that skills.xml was messed up, which can easily happen depending on how exactly you had installed your custom skin.
    Last edited by Valvs; Sep 13th, 2006 at 19:01:48.

That or the actual skin file was messed up, at least it's fixed now though
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper