Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A New Community Manager Approaches!

Thumbs up A New Community Manager Approaches!

Hi everybody,

They tell me a bit of introduction is in order.

I'm Shannon “Pharamond” Drake, and I'm stepping into the role of Community Manager here at Funcom. I'm a former writer/editor/manager type from The Escapist magazine and the WarCry Network, so I've written articles, run fansites, and juggled 10,000 things at once. I've also worked as a GameMaster and in in-game Events and dealt with general community stuff for a number of MMOs, even helping herd The Saga of Ryzom through its launch. I did a tally last year and counted over 50 MMOs played in various forms, so I know a bit about the genre. As for Funcom itself, we made our initial acquaintance with a game called The Longest Journey, which remains one of my favorite games of all-time, and I've followed them ever since.

Rest assured, there's no tearful goodbyes here. Silirrion is going to focus more on being a Game Director for AO, so just imagine what sort of things he will come up with with more free time, and he'll continue following the boards and communities. The rest of the community staff will continue in their current roles, there's just one more of us here overseeing things.

For my part, I'd like to continue the fine job Silirrion and my predecessors have started, while coming out with even more information on the games for those of you out there in our communities. We'll be working to engage all of you—AO, Secret World, Conan, TLJ/Dreamfall—with a lot of fun things in the next few months (and, of course, long-term). The community team is all very excited to be working together, and on Funcom's various projects, especially with such a great fan base. Personally speaking, I look forward to working with all of you in the future.

Wellcome and good luck in your new job.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Woot someone else for the masses to scream at when they don't get their way!

Welcome, good luck, etc etc
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

welcome aboard :)

When they offered me the fantastic opportunity to take over as Game Director I knew I would miss the community work as well, but its also important that we have someone able to dedicate the time and talent to it that it deserves. I am very happy that we managed to find such an experienced hand as Shannon, and someone who knows about MMOs and on-line communities so well.

I am sure you'll all join me in giving him a warm welcome

I'll still be around though, and will still be providing you guys with answers and information on the update forums, and won't suddenly stop reading the forums (yes, I know you don't believe we really read them, but I can assure you we do!)

Shannon will get to know you all much better over the coming weeks, months and years as there are exciting times ahead for AO.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    When they offered me the fantastic opportunity to take over as Game Director I knew I would miss the community work as well, but its also important that we have someone able to dedicate the time and talent to it that it deserves.
    Dear Jesus am I glad you took the position Sil.
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

Sil, we're use to you being the whipping boy around here bitching at ya.. now we gotta break the new guy in

dont worry Pharamond it only hurts the first time.
    Last edited by windcaster; Jul 24th, 2007 at 10:27:38.
    Nanomage Meta-Physicist : Squad Commander [Famous Last Words] [RK2]
    Interested in applying? [Click Here]

Welcome and good luck.
    RK1:220/30 Alicia "Muhandes" Jolt General of Destiny. My setup/A quick screenshot
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    "Guides": 210 symbs before 170, 220 symbs before 180, NM Engi Twinking 205, 210, 215, 220.
    WTB ql150 weapons, Grand Armbands, Eye of the Evening Star.

Welcome

Hm, are you Community manager for AO only or for AoC, Secret World, etc...as well?
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

I'm overseeing everything: TSW, TLJ/Dreamfall, Conan, and AO.

Welcome!

and, in my dry, annoying wit, i respond to the title of your post:

"A New Community Manager Approaches! "

with

"Something wicked this way comes" ?0.o

*thought he felt the pricking of his thumb recently*

Welcome aboard.
    Last edited by damon7; Jul 24th, 2007 at 11:58:17. Reason: more annoyance :)

I trust you will do us the courtesy of not mentioning the Scottish play.

Welcome aboard!

1st order of business; listen to trader whines

2nd order of business; more info flow on AoC

Now go!!1
    TWADER - Rimor Clanner - 220/31/70 - Trox Trader of Quetzalcoatl
    ATLANTEAN SERVER
    The Firm
    Godt Saa... Eller - STEEL!
    House Maadiah
    RIMOR SERVER
    The Syndicate
    Quetzlcoat

Quote Originally Posted by ICCKoruption View Post
    If you go to old athens, or omni entertainment be sure to look for the Rubi-ka museum of natural history. you will find numerous Traders that have been immaculately restored to their original states, some archeological digs were intentionally based around reclaim terminals.
    if you do find a trader still in circulation, be sure to check the expiry date, they are usually marked :best before june 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post

Shannon will get to know you all much better over the coming weeks, months and years ...
    Poor guy. I feel for him.

/me strongly urges Shannon “Pharamond” Drake to obtain the most recent version of the "Funcom Flame Suit(tm)" as threads can get a little heated and you never know where flames will splash.

That said...... Welcome aboard! *Locks door behind “Pharamond” so he/she has nowhere to run*
    Last edited by Peregryn; Jul 24th, 2007 at 17:24:45.
    Only through the exercise of free will can the soul grow; only through courage in the face of temptation and pain can the spirit soar.

Welcome to the Community.

Welcome, Pharamond.

Good luck with the new gig!
    Causes:
    Make the battlestation a reality for all levels!
    FC, we need Noob Island fixed!
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Amateur CoH Chest Detective
    Temporarily out of game due to XBL. I shall return.

KAES
    Breakdown: Achiever 53.33%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 40.00%.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharamond View Post
    I trust you will do us the courtesy of not mentioning the Scottish play.
    AAAHH!!
    Hot potato, orchestra stalls, Puck will make amends
    RK1:220/30 Alicia "Muhandes" Jolt General of Destiny. My setup/A quick screenshot
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    "Guides": 210 symbs before 170, 220 symbs before 180, NM Engi Twinking 205, 210, 215, 220.
    WTB ql150 weapons, Grand Armbands, Eye of the Evening Star.

black adder rocks

nuff said

Thats some shoes you gotta fill

Welcome
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Sir "Eoemar" Trevallien -=- Supreme Creator
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library
    http://bebot.shadow-realm.org/ - BeBot - An Anarchy Online Chat Automaton
    http://aodevs.com/ - Anarchy Online 3rd party developers resource

"Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games."
    -- Former AO Game Director Marius Enge

Welcome. I hear you're the guy to talk to when I'm in need of transportation?

Quote Originally Posted by Pharamond View Post
    Silirrion is going to focus more on being a Game Director for AO, so just imagine what sort of things he will come up with with more free time
    Thanks, now I'm scared!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast