Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director

Sci-Fi rocks, Anarchy Online rocks, New Style MMOs suck. Simple
    A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed To Whom it May Concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post

First though, a quick explanation of the new system that will support this. The back end system will allow players to purchase points that can be used on our billing pages to purchase these booster packs as well as various other items (like previous pre-order campaign rewards) and pay for account services like character transfers and name changes.

You will even be able to transfer these points into the game where they can be used to purchase individual parts of these booster packs if you would rather do that then get the whole lot in one go!
    Would the "whole go" be account wise or do you have to buy the item pack for every toon?
    Irmo 220 sol
    Hogfather 220 doc "ER...HO. HO. HO."
    Wintersmith 220 crat
    Ainur 209 trader
    Viralbots Incorporated

"Real children don't go hoppity-skip unless they are on drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    It depends on the pricing.
    If we get no more additional content than a handful of items that otherwise could have gone into the veterans shop during a normal patch...then I don't se myself paying 2/3-3/4 the cost of a full expansion like we did for Notum Wars (which was a booster pack, not an expansion.)
    It's stated in this thread by Sil that this won't happen - dunno why people keep pointing it out
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

The press release said a single vehicle would be about 3 dollars, and the entire pack 10 dollars. Now who knows if thats set in stone, its not out yet. Sil hasnt said the prices here - when someone asked point blank, for this very reason.

If those are the prices, its trivial.

If my bank toon can remain a froob, there is a 100% probability that after I've bought the full vehicle pack on my main account, I'll pick my favorite one and splurge on the bankie.

I couldn't buy enough fuel in the real world to drive to the City for 3 dollars, but here, I could buy a HOVERBIKE.

I would still like an answer on whether or not fr00b accounts will have access to these things without having to start paying the monthly subscription.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Avari View Post
    It's stated in this thread by Sil that this won't happen - dunno why people keep pointing it out
    Probably because NW is the only "booster pack" we've seen to date--we've got an example. So $30-40 for an expansion, and $20 for a booster pack.

Until FC shows us a counterexample, do you expect us to believe what they've said, or what they've done?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Slave View Post
    I would still like an answer on whether or not fr00b accounts will have access to these things without having to start paying the monthly subscription.
    That would be a first--froobs have always been required to start paying after registering account upgrades.

It's been a while since I wrote an editorial so I figured it was about time for me to do another. The Editorial is a review on the current state of the game and the recently announced upcoming changes to Anarchy Online by Game Director Craig "Silirrion" Morrison.

You can check out the new editorial, "Inside Anarchy Online #11" here.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

well, krause, people can and are allowed to interpret the "plan" by FC about AO according to their understanding and experience. judging that those with different perceptions than yours are "having their brains malfunctioning" is just plain unfair. your perception is not always the right one, so is mine or others'. this forum is a good way to brainstorm responses by users to FC's plans and ideas, regardless of what actually is going to be implemented in the future. what FC needs is ears to listen to all the themes of responses from users regarding the ideas that were spilled out briefly through the "letter from the game director", which is not detail at all and in no way addresses all the questions that may have been or have already been brought up by users. after listening, FC needs to carefully estimate the possible and obvious consequences before making any decision to execute their plan or to pursue it further or to terminate it altogether due to reasonable possible bad consequences that may occur.

now, it's all up to FC to think through all the possible consequences that may occur if they execute their plan. some proper adjustments will definitely take place, like all other plans and ideas in all sort of areas. at this point, thus, the plan is still subject for change, big or small.

zirca

Looks like a return to the booster pack system. I believe the game itself will not be able to receive majors one year developpement expansions in the future. AO is more able to generate regular income trough ads and froobs and bonus packs like this.

I like the system allowing you to spend points on only one char, because I play only one char fully, and I don't want all these boards at once. Maybe a single bike for 3$. The best in that is that we don't have to pay for evreything's out. Like for example paying LE for the BS, OFAB items and mechs while you don't like mech fights.

Now an engine upgrade is all this game need to bring new players in. I'm considering it not a gift, but an investment that will bring market to the boosters. And these boosters are making this investment a decent idea.
    For us players it help us, not only with a better game, but with new players. Wich is lacking badly these days.
    What I hope is a complete engine replacement, like with the Conan one and a review of all the zones trough series of patchesafter that.

That's what I like, I don't like all that happens but they can adapt and use the game at its best. That's how it survived it's launch and that how it last more then the durecell rabbit today.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

paying money for ingame items... dont sound much different from paying money for ingame items through ebay.

what it is looking like to me, is that FC is getting disperate for money, so they sell ingame items for real cash. why not include Credits, AI armor, and burdens in the purchases?

this makes me sick, if you going to release something and then sell it, do it in an massive form of code, called an expansion.

Ill probably buy one just to have one, but I dont like the idea of it.
    Omni,
    Fixer: 217 opi
    Crat: 195 nm
    MA: 193 trox
    nt: 184 nm

Quote Originally Posted by zirca View Post
    well, krause, people can and are allowed to interpret the "plan" by FC about AO according to their understanding and experience. judging that those with different perceptions than yours are "having their brains malfunctioning" is just plain unfair. your perception is not always the right one, so is mine or others'. this forum is a good way to brainstorm responses by users to FC's plans and ideas, regardless of what actually is going to be implemented in the future. what FC needs is ears to listen to all the themes of responses from users regarding the ideas that were spilled out briefly through the "letter from the game director", which is not detail at all and in no way addresses all the questions that may have been or have already been brought up by users. after listening, FC needs to carefully estimate the possible and obvious consequences before making any decision to execute their plan or to pursue it further or to terminate it altogether due to reasonable possible bad consequences that may occur.

now, it's all up to FC to think through all the possible consequences that may occur if they execute their plan. some proper adjustments will definitely take place, like all other plans and ideas in all sort of areas. at this point, thus, the plan is still subject for change, big or small.

zirca
    My Perception is not always the right one? What?
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Elamendas View Post
    paying money for ingame items... dont sound much different from paying money for ingame items through ebay.

what it is looking like to me, is that FC is getting disperate for money, so they sell ingame items for real cash. why not include Credits, AI armor, and burdens in the purchases?

this makes me sick, if you going to release something and then sell it, do it in an massive form of code, called an expansion.

Anyone else want to explain it this time? I'm getting tired of repeatedly having to spell it out for those who don't read the entire thread.

I find it interesting that they released the Intent to do this "After" they asked the Player Opinion of doing something of this sort http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=497150 . Significant?

and there is a lot of difference between what they are doing and what the gold farmers/account sellers are doing on Ebay, and Sil has said repeatedly they do not intend to sell Items like weapons/armor that would imbalance the game. Example: The Vehicle Pack (yes some of the Jetbikes appear to be capable of flight) and yalms do the same thing, neither is any good in combat. Hoverboards? I doubt people will even use those outside of cities, as chances are you will not be able to fight on one.
    Only through the exercise of free will can the soul grow; only through courage in the face of temptation and pain can the spirit soar.

and to drive a nail through your point. Unlike the people/companies selling items/accounts/credits online and through Ebay, Funcom does own the Game, It's servers, and all data on them.

from EULA Pt. 9
    You may not transfer any Funcom intellectual property including characters, items, coin or copyrighted material based on any sale outside the ingame economy, this includes giving mentioned Funcom intellectual property away as incentives or "freebies" to a sale. You may not sell, buy or auction any Funcom characters, items, coin or copyrighted material.
    Only through the exercise of free will can the soul grow; only through courage in the face of temptation and pain can the spirit soar.

Lost Eden was a booster pack marketed as an expansion and priced as one.

Now Funcom is trying to push tid bits of extra content trying to pass it off as booster packs.
    Emergenzee Level 220 'Trustworthy' Doctor
    Circle of Notum

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelshock View Post
    Lost Eden was a booster pack marketed as an expansion and priced as one.

Now Funcom is trying to push tid bits of extra content trying to pass it off as booster packs.
    So? Ether you will think "Oh this one is cool i´m so going to buy it" or you will think "Naaaaa this one ain't worth 10bucks i´m going to skip out on it" or worst chase you go "Hmmmm but i just want this part of it!" And you just pay for the part you want. So what the **** your problem with it? O.o

Its still just social items except for the 5 PFs but there you actually have to work for what you get and theres a 99.9999999999% chance that what you get there ain't better then whats already in game..

Ether you want them or you don't and it still wont mater for you BS title farming pleasures..
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Rktim View Post
    Its still just social items except for the 5 PFs but there you actually have to work for what you get and theres a 99.9999999999% chance that what you get there ain't better then whats already in game..

Well I disagree there. New and better stuff has been one of the main selling points for every expansion to date. I see no reason why these should be different...

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    . The booster will bring with it some very cool new modes of transport to Rubi-Ka in the form of jet bikes and some very sleek hoverboards!
    After reading this thread yesterday I had vivid dreams last night of the skys of Rubi-ka filled with large Troxes clad in Thongs and Huge Sombreros with a colorful Parrot on their shoulder as they zoomed about on sparky new Jet Bikes and Hover boards.

And at that moment I knew I finally had proof of the existance of God. [or fill in your favorite deity here]

Dex

P.S OK Sil Now I want my Pirate Hat! (Or the Hamster is gonna get it!~ )
    Last edited by Dextar; Jun 30th, 2007 at 14:53:56. Reason: Pirate Hat Plea
    ICC planet-wide announcement: Dextar has been awarded the highest honorary rank for outstanding dedication to the defence of Rubi-Ka. You have gained a new Alien Title: Vindicator!

Time: 13:42 local (17:42 GMT), 04:38 game
    Date: 08. Jul 2007 local
    Dextar has played 252 days 19 hours 22 minutes 18 seconds

Dextar FIRST 220/30/70 Clan Opifex Adventurer on any Server

cut : What does this mean? In effect it means that we will be bringing the game engine up to date with more modern graphics technology that will, amongst other things, allow us to utilize the power of modern graphics processors. It doesn’t mean that the game will suddenly look amazing different overnight, but it does mean that we will be able to utilize the more modern technology to improve performance and introduce new effects down the line.

<3 : Really happy to see this <3 (will probably allow you to upgrade the models as well in the long run my trox is a little stiff :P)

Cut : First though, a quick explanation of the new system that will support this. The back end system will allow players to purchase points that can be used on our billing pages to purchase these booster packs as well as various other items (like previous pre-order campaign rewards) and pay for account services like character transfers and name changes.

Q: Does character transfers involve moving one toon from my account to another of my account or only from server to server ?
    I'll die for those willing to die for me, I die with those that's willing to die with me, I live for those that are willing to live with me. Unity. Freedom. Peace.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast