Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    Next up, also looking to the long-term future of the game, I’d like to cover something that we have alluded to several times in the past and confirm that we are currently starting work on upgrading the rendering engine for the game.

What does this mean? In effect it means that we will be bringing the game engine up to date with more modern graphics technology that will, amongst other things, allow us to utilize the power of modern graphics processors. It doesn’t mean that the game will suddenly look amazing different overnight, but it does mean that we will be able to utilize the more modern technology to improve performance and introduce new effects down the line.
    Does this mean the games system requirements to run will be higher?
    Want triples nerfed? Here is what you can do (Don't be so retarded to apply this to todays game)

Server 1sts: Only NT, and probably non-doc to solo LOTV.
    First LB member to recieve org forum and guest chat ban on departure <3

[Neophyte soldier]: I can see your nukes ignore AMS, keep doing it noob, I'm petitioning as we speak!

WTB 2 Fixes for grafts
    PVP roots for all rooting classes

Currently forced to enjoy RK4 (broken PC), I'll be back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Taskmage View Post
    Could you please explain this part in more detail?

Will there only be 'Style-Items' (Preorder Leet, new Yalm with same stats but different optics, etc.) available for money or will there also be 'high end' items like RBP or CSS armor available? Or will there even be new 'high end' items _only_ available by paying for them?
    There are no plans to sell anything that would have an active effect on serious gameplay, the items that we would offer through the points system will be the pre-orders and social items. Like all the existing pre-order campaign items, and also things like pre-made 'sets' of say the social clothing introduced in AI. So it won't remove the in-game means of getting those items, just offer an extra service for those who would rather just purchase them.

So you won't see anything that would effect game play specifically, that's something we are very conscious of, and like I said in the letter above, this is about doing it properly and fairly.

For the playfield expansions those will function just like mini-expansions and will set access flags on your account just like any of the other expansions. The new points will for those packs just be another available payment method if you want to use them.

I only hope they won't be priced as high as full-expansion
    No, they won't be full priced like previous expansions, (unless of course we did one down the line that was large enough to warrant it, but that's not the style of content we have in the pipeline at the moment) that would kind of defy the point of striving for these booster style updates.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Nanofox1 View Post
    Does this mean the games system requirements to run will be higher?
    As and when the new render engine is ready, then yes, I would imagine that the system requirements would rise, at least a little. That's just a logical assumption for now though as its a little early to say for sure at the moment.
    Old Timer

Interesting news...

I'm only hoping graphic upgrades wont end just as famous texture upgrade that only effected in more lag. Please dont forget to take into consideration huge variety of systems people are playing this game - make it utilise new hardware, not require it.

Thumbs up

A few questions of my own Sil.

1) First of all, nice to see that you guys are gonna upgrade your rendering engine. How far do you plan on upgrading? Cause it would be cool to see DX9/10 gfx . Well, would the SL door lag be fixed with the render upgrade(or hopefully fixed)?

2)With the booster's pricing... can we expect to see around the price where Episode 1 that valve did for HL2 or a bit lower?

3)You mentioned new playfields as a possible booster, although with a new playfield, comes new phatz. Since you want to have the playfield leveled for those w/ and w/o booster, will new items be more alternatives or will they be better than whats ingame?

Been waiting for a letter from you. Nice to see where you plan to go from here.
    Spartanx9 220/25/70 -Inactive
    [TR]Zuka Zamamee level 50 Grenadier, Executive of Aethyr Knights, Pegasus Server. -Long Live TR-

Silirrion:I was a gimp

I stand alone on the road to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Issica View Post
    You have to pay quite a lot of money for ai armor/ofab weapons
    ugh? twist a bit more and wrong becomes right

as already mentioned: just stick to that pre-order like policy of not giving an advantage on stats with those items...toys okay - i could live with that

it would be endlessely sad if Ao ended up like some of those lame-ass MMOs that are completely built around the point systems

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    There are no plans to sell anything that would have an active effect on serious gameplay, the items that we would offer through the points system will be the pre-orders and social items. Like all the existing pre-order campaign items, and also things like pre-made 'sets' of say the social clothing introduced in AI. So it won't remove the in-game means of getting those items, just offer an extra service for those who would rather just purchase them.

So you won't see anything that would effect game play specifically, that's something we are very conscious of, and like I said in the letter above, this is about doing it properly and fairly.

For the playfield expansions those will function just like mini-expansions and will set access flags on your account just like any of the other expansions. The new points will for those packs just be another available payment method if you want to use them.

i still dont really understand how the boosters work

will we have to buy each one seperatly?

for the playfields will there be anything really good that im gona need from there?

will the server transfers be fairly cheap so people can switch back and forth often or even just switch many toons over easily?

these are my concerns as a student with a really tight budget with 2 accounts paid and a 3rd that i might have to cancel since i dont have the money, im sure theres more people in my situation i just cant afford to be spending even more money on this game :/ (buying everything x3 will suck)

edit: other then that amazing job i do like where your going with this game and have been liking the updates for the last 6 months or so

hoverboards mmmm "thinks about Back to the Future" kewl
    New Gfx engine sounds sweet too.
    buing trinkets like JobeLuxory apartment and mechs sounds like a plan also.

thumbs up for me.
    Ill prolly try out AoC though cause there HAS to be a Lillagumman in Conan too
    Lillagumman 220/24 Soldier stuff
    Shibari 220/14 Crat Shibari about to be reconfigurated stuff
    Froo 165/12 Adventurer
    no i dont have more alts.
    I miss Satenia
    Sith of Avatars Reloaded

I think its kinda.. wrong to start shouting "OMG paying for items or play fields is lame and wrong!" cause thats EXACTLY what you do with expansions..

These will if i get it right be more or less exactly like mini expansions and you will only need to pay for the part of the "expansion" you want...

Or rather look at it like this.. Merge these 2 boosters, vehicle + 5new PFs and the next 2 after those and you got yourself a expansion.. Only that now you can say.. Dang.. Those 5 PFs looks sweet but meh I´m not at all interested in the other stuff..
    Fine then you just pay for the 5 PFs instead of beeing forced to pay for everything if you just want 1 thing in a normal expansion.

Say for example that you really only wanted the mechs from LE, but you didn't want BS or Alien Missions, if it had been done like this you only would have had to pay for the actual mechs.. Sure you wouldn't have gotten the rest but you wouldn't have had to pay for something you didn't really want..

In the chase of the vehicle booster it looks like you even will be able to say "Oh i just want THAT bike nothing else" and only pay for THAT bike instead of all of it.. Sorta like saying "well.. mechs are cool but i only want the assault mech, why should i pay for the scout mech?" Well this way you don't have to..

So i don't have any problems with this AT ALL... Awesome job Sill, especially with he game engine we have been asking for that for years xD
    Hopefully we will see AO as THE top MMORPG again one day if you keep it up =)
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

WOUW.... Awsome news

Allmost speechless, but I'm very happy to hear about the plans you have for AO. Sounds very reassuring about the dedication FC must still have for AO.

New engine
    Great news. Make sure you advertise globally when you have the rendering engine updated... I REALLY think that would get a lot of new people on board. What I hope most for is that it can minimize the various rendering lag issues. Nicer graphics is ,well.... nice, but more fluid and uninterrupted gameplay and less casualties due to lag weighs in a LOT more to me.

New servers
    Do you expect that moving onto new servers will have a significant effect on the lag/sync issues that causes a lot of grief for especially melee people as discussed elsewhere on the forum, or what other benefis is there by moving onto new servers? Better up-time and/or?

Items-for-money
    If the purchasable items are more of the gadget kinda things we have seen so far for vet points, then I think it's a great way of getting some extra funding, but it should never be items that benefits you when in fighting or twinking imo.
    How much money you have in RL should not be able to influence how good a char you can make. (Twilight zone kinda, since that's what you do, when you purchase AI/SL/LE expansions)
    Last edited by Mekh; Jun 27th, 2007 at 14:06:38.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

the risk i see are not the bossterpacks for money but the part where you pay for service (char transfer /name change) if its just those two thinks it's okay but maybe you have to pay for other services like petition etc. in the future too.
    127.0.0.1 sweet 127.0.0.1

*** Defence of Liberty ***
    welcome to the neutrals

BTW HUGE bump for listening to our Motorcycle thread in game suggestions! =D

I have set out to get every vehicle in the game and I´m sure not going to miss out on these..

While your listening could you consider nerfing the carrier crafts and putting them back in to the game? Horribly annoying to know that my collection never will be complete (pleas add the missing AI yalms also =S)

@Stormranger naaaaaaa they will never make you pay for petitions etc.. Costumer service is always free.. (except for the phone tax.. and thats == to the money you pay your ISP to hook you up with Internet so you can get in touch with FC support)
    Last edited by Rktim; Jun 27th, 2007 at 14:14:01.
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Nice one Sil. I think all the ideas posted are great.

I think it's up to the players discretion to decide on purchasing extra content. If they feel it won't help their title farming trox agent then they don't have to buy the little add ons

Big bump for seeing possabilities in new playfields and more story towards the Greenies, I have been saying forever there should be some sort of AI progression/expansion (I always thought...invading the alien planet or something..idk maybe they open a portal and aliens/rk mobs spread across both planes!)

Keep up the good work!

--Steve
    220/30/70 - Atrox Agent - Tinypain
    220/30/70 - Atrox Keeper - Ivekeeper
    220/25/70 - Atrox Fixer - Zedy
    220/30/70 - Solitus Soldier - Tequiila
    172/20/35 - Nanomage Agent - Nanocide
    Storm

I am assuming by upgrading the AO engine we won't be getting a move to the DreamWorld engine and the associated graphics upgrade of new textures and models would be beyond reason for AO? But I have to admit I would more love to see AO all fresh in something like that than sadly either of the projects currently destined for it as it might be able to draw in more of todays MMOG players. Yet the work load would be immense, and justifable why not financially viable.

As for buyable content. I was mixed on this when Sony *shudder* did this way back when. The thing is how far does it go? will you end up offering Combined armour for €10 a piece or something? or will it just remain with a few vehicles and access to new zones? It changes the economics ingame quiet considerably, and until it occurs I am pretty undecided on which way to favour it but for biding my time to wait and see.

As for learning more on the Dusters, Aliens and Xan. All the better. Yet I do wish you will release this information in small drips and not some huge load at once with silence after it. Please make us learn it, find it, and absorb it. Not just "oh the dusters blah blah". Story needs to be able to evolve, as has to be shown with Borealis. Doing it and forgetting something, is not a way to do it, and I hope you can choose a good path for the future to lead us all down.

Keep up the good work.
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Is there any plans yet how much one of these booster packs will cost?
    The vehicles pack for example, if i would want the whole pack with all the vehicles how much would that set me back? 10$? 20?
    And please, PLEASE, instead of setting the same price tag in both USD and EURO, please realise that 1 USD is no longer the same amount of money as 1 EURO, the currency change, and it kinda sucks for me having to pay more just because i dont live in the US
    Last edited by Blackdog; Jun 27th, 2007 at 14:25:03.
    Gender 'Blackdog' Bender 220/26 Soldier
    Den 'Beskyddaren' Utvalde
    220/18 Keeper
    Kane 'Blacrat' Lives 218/15 Bureaucrat
    Bleeding 'Rofflewaffle' Screaming 180/13 Shade
    Den 'Tempelherren' Trofaste 165/19Fixer

My AO vids:
    Boom! Aimedshot!
    Still Online!

all I can say is... wow.

Great update, great letter and it's wonderful to see such a positive outlook for Anarchy. Great job, Funcom!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyadach View Post
    As for learning more on the Dusters, Aliens and Xan. All the better. Yet I do wish you will release this information in small drips and not some huge load at once with silence after it. Please make us learn it, find it, and absorb it. Not just "oh the dusters blah blah". Story needs to be able to evolve, as has to be shown with Borealis. Doing it and forgetting something, is not a way to do it, and I hope you can choose a good path for the future to lead us all down.
    ...if you have been paying attention to the latest quests in Shadowlands and some of the other side information in recent and upcoming content (the scientists in Sector 10 for example) you might just find that there is already some clues, hints and information starting to appear about what might be revealed later on. Ror those that look hard enough, the questions, and even of leads on the answers, are already starting to appear
    Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanx View Post
    1) First of all, nice to see that you guys are gonna upgrade your rendering engine. How far do you plan on upgrading? Cause it would be cool to see DX9/10 gfx . Well, would the SL door lag be fixed with the render upgrade(or hopefully fixed)?
    Its unlikely we will move up to DX10, but we will certainly try and get to be able to use some of the newer features, but we will also have to be mindful of not trying to much so that it remains playable for the majority of our players. The main area it will benefit is performance as we will hopefully be able to utilise the GPU rather then just relying on the CPU

2)With the booster's pricing... can we expect to see around the price where Episode 1 that valve did for HL2 or a bit lower?
    I can't go into specifics on the pricing just yet, we will announce those a little closer to the time, but I would imagine it certainly wouldnt be any more then that for most of the types of packs we are aiming for as a rough guide.

3)You mentioned new playfields as a possible booster, although with a new playfield, comes new phatz. Since you want to have the playfield leveled for those w/ and w/o booster, will new items be more alternatives or will they be better than whats ingame?
    With the packs that are playfield packs, there will of course be new items just like any other expansion style content, just not on the same scale, so you will in most cases have to have purchased that booster to use the items. Those packs can be seen exactly as expansions just on a smaller scale and at a cheaper pricing point.
    Old Timer

\o/

looks *VERY* promising.

Shame you only started now on the new engine :P that can be a lenghty process, except if you are adapting a ready-made engine.

Anyway, just add a new-and-improved newbie island to that and i'll be flabbergasted.

\o/

Hooray! All this sounds fantastic!

Really... all of it. Especially this part right here. What? I can't gloat? Screw it, I'm gloating anyway.

/gloat

(link fixed... thanks!)
    Last edited by Clamdigger; Jun 27th, 2007 at 14:53:59.
    Causes:
    Make the battlestation a reality for all levels!
    FC, we need Noob Island fixed!
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Amateur CoH Chest Detective
    Temporarily out of game due to XBL. I shall return.

KAES
    Breakdown: Achiever 53.33%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 40.00%.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast