Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director

Every few years? thats nor normal. Any good game should have one around every 1-1.5 years. gotta keep it fresh or it gets stale.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Armadyl View Post
    No that is not what I said, if you could acctually read instead of putting words in other peoples mouths you'd know that. My point is it's ridiculous what their doing, on average FC makes 3.3$ mil a year off AO alone, that's not enough? Several grants to boot, they still want more? LE was'nt even an expansion anyway, more like a content patch, are we gonna have to pay for every patch that comes out from now on with ANY new content? Social or not.
    So is it bad practice for a company to actually make money on a game now? What you are saying is making no sense at all. If a game company makes more content for their game (i.e. Brand new playfields with new mobs) then yes, they do have the right to charge for it. In this case you are only charging a few dollars. And these boosters aren't even detrimental to the betterment of your character. They are just to provide the players with more fun things to do. Shoot man...3.3 million a year (which I'm sure you just plucked that figure out of thin air) isn't very much for a game to make a year anyways. Last I checked blizzard is making over 100million a month off of WoW. (And yes, I kind of plucked that figure out of thin air as well but there happens to be around 10million players, probably more, of WoW and they pay 15 bucks a month.)

In case you hav'nt noticed (doubtful you have), there's a BIG difference between content patches and EXPANSIONS, just so you can understand it, I went through the trouble to find the definitions for you.

Content - Online, content is generally referred to as the elements on a web page. This could include text, graphics, clip art, photos, videos, podcasts, wav files, hyperlinks, code or any value-added substance that a visitor to the web page would benefit from

Expansion - An expansion pack is an addition to an existing pen-and-paper RPG, game or video game. These add-ons usually add new game areas, weapons, objects, and/or an extended storyline to a complete and already released game.

So you see there's one of these that merits payment, yes REAL money to have access to, which of these does the upcoming patches sound like to you? I know for you it's really hard to figure out.
    Dude, I'm not even gonna waste my time on that statement. You just compared Apples to Chainsaws. LOL

Did we not already pay for Lost Eden just last December? Expansions should'nt just be released every few months with a few things, it wears people out real fast, every few years is the norm.
    is more like it.
    There a lot of players that been grinding away at BS's and what not and I'm sure they wouldn't complain if they had a chance to purchase some new playfields for a small amount of money. If you even looked at the Funcom Press Release I posted up above you will notice that FC is giving away these points for free just for subscribing to the game......even more if you a veteran player. This whole "Paying for Content/Items" is for those people that "just gotta have everything right now" and don't want to work for it. This is Funcom's attempt to give those players what they are looking for without huge inflated prices.

Armadyl...you are seriously digging yourself a hole here.
    DJ Meenstreek
    The Goodness on Tuesdays @ 8pmEST
    Top40 Rock & Alternative

GridStream Productions
    "Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is a
    floccinaucinihilipilificated word." -cgl

Will previous payments be rewarded with points as well (like with the veteran points), or will only new payments be rewarded with points?
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

lol Arm... you're presenting those flimsy "definitions" to back up your opinion, which sounds as though its based on not reading or comprehending the original post.

Every few years is a norm with what game ever released?

Don't forget free content patches are still going to happen, the booster packs are simply mini expansions that you don't even have to get if you don't want to. We actually get more control over which content we pay for out of expansions this way. If you don't like what a booster pack brings then don't buy it, pretty simple.

Well..Lost Eden itself can be considered nothing more than a booster pack aswell.

SL is an expansion huge content boost, LE is very small considering. very very small.
    Eluisa, 220 Doctor of Dewm!
    Cherries, 220 Shade of Bewbs!
    Lidan 190 Martial Artist of Nano!
    Mefesto, 183 Enforcer of Flab!
    Catti, 163 Crat of Hecknoob!

General of Paradise

Thumbs up Casual Player

I'm wondering. . . (and yes I read the 8 pages the post is currently at)

As a casual player who's highest toon is stuck in Adonis at Level 166 will the expansion pack(s) give me anything? (Tried Ado mission/quest thing & keep getting killed on the way to the dungeon so that content is unreachable for me as well) The static dungeons are nice when I can find one in the right level range at least.

I do not have 100s of millions in game to buy Yalms or other vehicles, in fact getting the characters I use a basic one was painful. (But absolutely necessessary to get to rediculous mission locations... (Why, oh why, put a L65 mission door behind a L130 aggressive named mob?!?!?! [and his 15 aggressive flunkies]))

I like the idea of buying only what I want out of smaller expansions, but If I buy 'Vehicles expansion 1' Will I get a vehicle? or just be able to use one if I ever have the funds to buy it?

Answer:If I understand the Points thing correctly, I buy points directly or get them free with subscription payments/expansion purchase, then use the points to buy the content itself ingame? Would those points be per character (as vet points) or per account (and gone forever once spent (and lost if you reroll that character)).

AI: I got perks, and the ability to help others in city raids.

SL: All I got out of it was perks & golem bashing groups.

LE: Research & 5-6 LE Missions so far, mostly duo'd with a lower level twink.

Since I'm tired of h3ckl0rz grinding in pickup groups is there a solo content expansion in that roadmap somewhere? (Please Please Please!)

Overall I'd say things were looking good for the near future in AO, upgraded servers & graphics engine will definately be worth watching.

Where did that new rulebook for AO go? "Inside Anarchy Online" Announced Aug '06 Wish I'd had that before rolling (then rerolling so many nanomages)
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...ight=AO+manual

HR

PS: To those who object to paying real money for in game advantages/items what do you think expansion perks/research are? Particularly global research, buy expansion, boom there you go more skills, perk actions, procs, attributes... There are obviously people that want to pay RL$ for IG credits or the farmers wouldn't be in buisness. Let FC sell it then the farmers can go bug other games.

Hot Rod, very valid post. Thank you for reading through the thread first heh. As for all of your questions I'm not sure how it's all going to work. One would think if you use your points to purchase, say a hoverboard, you could go to a terminal and just grab it there. Or maybe it will be like veteran points where it will list the points in your character profile and you go to a machine and buy your stuff there.

As for you spending hundreds of millions on vehicles, that really isn't necessary. The lowest quality yalm (I think QL81) goes for only a couple million. Which I know is a lot of money. If you are ever playing on or around Sunday, shoot me a tell through our stations bot (/tell gridbot say <message here>) and if I'm online it doesn't matter which dim you are on and I will get the message. I'll fund one of your characters some credits to get yourself a yalm .
    DJ Meenstreek
    Top40 Rock & Alternative

GridStream Productions

Quote Originally Posted by Eluisa View Post
    Well..Lost Eden itself can be considered nothing more than a booster pack aswell.

SL is an expansion huge content boost, LE is very small considering. very very small.
    Shadow Lands was like a whole new game, it's bigger then the original really. It's hard to compare it to that. Although I do agree, it seems like it's a lot smaller. You have to realize that they had to design all of the mech's and how the characters would fit into them. There was a lot of behind the scene stuff that went into LE I'm sure. It was definitely a big project to complete.
    DJ Meenstreek
    Top40 Rock & Alternative

GridStream Productions

So sir will it be like LE when we so called was gone get a free mech,and we did have to do RS to gain it,like i feel that was a BIG fake stuff to do to players

and new graphic sounds awsome if i still play

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Rod View Post
    I like the idea of buying only what I want out of smaller expansions, but If I buy 'Vehicles expansion 1' Will I get a vehicle? or just be able to use one if I ever have the funds to buy it?

Answer:If I understand the Points thing correctly, I buy points directly or get them free with subscription payments/expansion purchase, then use the points to buy the content itself ingame? Would those points be per character (as vet points) or per account (and gone forever once spent (and lost if you reroll that character)).
    Afaik, the system does sound a bit weird considering single item purchases. How will the system let the players get the vechicle they bought, unless they tag all the vechs with different expansions names(which could be a way, would take a bit of coding, but you could only use the vech that your character is flagged for).

With the Points, ti seems that since you are paying that right now you would have free points already accredited to your account. Until Sil further elaborates on the mechanics with points, i assume that it would be for all your toons, since your entire account is flagged, not just toon x or just toon y.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Rod View Post
    PS: To those who object to paying real money for in game advantages/items what do you think expansion perks/research are? Particularly global research, buy expansion, boom there you go more skills, perk actions, procs, attributes... There are obviously people that want to pay RL$ for IG credits or the farmers wouldn't be in buisness. Let FC sell it then the farmers can go bug other games.
    I still dont get why people are fussing over micro transactions. You arent gonna be forced to buy a booster. They are trying something new, to add it things that couldnt have been done with the current time-table of development. I'm glad, however, is that you still have to work for items that would be included in boosters(i.e. the 5 new playfield booster that may come out later), instead of hey look, you can buy gun x, or nano y, or armor z for 1.50 USD!
    Spartanx9 220/25/70 -Inactive
    [TR]Zuka Zamamee level 50 Grenadier, Executive of Aethyr Knights, Pegasus Server. -Long Live TR-

Silirrion:I was a gimp

I stand alone on the road to hell.

...snip...
    Content - Online, content is generally referred to as the elements on a web page. This could include text, graphics, clip art, photos, videos, podcasts, wav files, hyperlinks, code or any value-added substance that a visitor to the web page would benefit from

Expansion - An expansion pack is an addition to an existing pen-and-paper RPG, game or video game. These add-ons usually add new game areas, weapons, objects, and/or an extended storyline to a complete and already released game.
    I found another definition of content:

Content - Burritos
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1 1/3 cups water
    1 (1.5-ounce) packet Taco Seasoning Mix
    1 (16-ounce) can Refried Beans, warmed
    6 (10-inch) burrito-size flour tortillas, warmed
    3/4 cup Salsa - Thick & Chunky (Medium)
    3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, (3 ounces)

You were comparing apples to oranges...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

The way I see it:
    Expansion
    Lots of various contents: new game areas, weapons, objects, and/or an extended storyline to a complete and already released game.
    Price: Full price, example 30$
    Example
    AI, SL, LE(not sure about this one)

Booster pack - large
    Minor amount of various contents: Single new game area, maybe weapons, maybe objects, and/or an extended storyline to a complete and already released game.
    Price: Reduced price, example 20$
    Example
    LE(as many thinks)

Booster pack - small
    Minor amount of various contents: Single new game area, some armor.
    Price: Reduced price, example 15$
    Example
    Sector 10

Content pack - Large
    Few additional contents: 15 unique types of various hoverboards and motorcycles
    Price: Further reduced price, example 10$
    Example
    Hoverboard and motorcycle content pack.

Content pack - Small
    Single additional content: 1 type of hoverboard
    Price: Very reduced price, example 3$
    Example
    1 Hoverboard selected from the 15 available.

Whether you are talking about Expansions, Booster packs or Content packs it's all the same thing.... It's basically just a matter of the amount of content in it, which in turn is reflected in the pricetag on it.
    A pack with lots of content equals higher price tag, than a pack with fewer contents.
    I can see nothing but good from this, as I will be able to decide whether I wanna purchase this expansion/booster/content pack or not based on whether I think it will benefit me.
    People purchased AI, SL and LE because they would get a plethora of things and options that could make their char better, same would go for Booster packs and Content packs, just on a smaller scale.
    Last edited by Mekh; Jun 28th, 2007 at 08:23:57.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Again you have great ideas Silirrion
    Last edited by ForumTroll; Jun 28th, 2007 at 08:30:49.
    R.I.P Mafia1337. You were to young to be knocking on Heavens door.

Zolic
    Infizicator
    WillItSmash

Quote Originally Posted by meenstreek View Post
    Armadyl...you are seriously digging yourself a hole here.
    I have been saying this IC for a while now, about Armydayl.
    Wonderful to see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; Jun 28th, 2007 at 10:10:56.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Excellent improvements FunCom. I'm looking forward to them.

It would be nice to put a 'freestyle' spin to the actions people could be doing when riding those vehicules, likes flips and so on.

Then give us a snowy mountain in Pen...so we can go do some nice snowboarding

Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    Oooo, good catch, whats is that coool lookin back item with the round light and 2 tubes coming out of it on that Shade at the very end Sil? ;D
    /slaps Krause, go to ICC and say hi to the RK tours flight attendant girl there (shes cute ^.^) and help her out a bit and you might just get one yourself ^^
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    Well, Im impressed so far with the new stuff u guys have planned. I take back 90% of the bad things I've said about FC, (ok, maybe 85%, but u get the idea )
    I second this.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

Im really impressed...

Server upgrade? new AO engine? More expansions?

You guys friggin rock

Keep up the good work!
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

Does all that mean that we will have to pay to open the CoH chests?

how often are these content patches gona come out cause if i gota pay an extra 10(x2-3 since thats how many accounts i have)bucks or something every konth cause you release them fast i will be pissed

/name change xxx to zzz

xxx is a know ninja looter,""Welcome"" to zzz

about paying for new playfield-item,wait and see,but ... same systeme as the "free2play" game
    Cya

Kalahaan
    Proud member of Ancarim Iron Legion

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast