Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Letter From The Game Director

I've said it before and i'll say it again... This forum is the only place in the world where if you gave everyone ten dollars they would complain that it wasn't twenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Astera View Post
    I've said it before and i'll say it again... This forum is the only place in the world where if you gave everyone ten dollars they would complain that it wasn't twenty.
    $20 ? I'd like $50 instead. $10 is just too low.

Tergx 220 Atrox Trader | 220 Soli doc | 220 Enf & other toons
    Synergy Factor org ~ APPLY HERE

When readin replies in AO forums, just remember ........ there is no cure for stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Syyceria View Post
    Come on, it took me just 5 minutes to kill a level 178 MA with health-drains and trader pets...our toolset does work

I'm suprised that no one has whined about three days credited. (i'm sure there has been whining, I just haven't seen it)

i'd have to disagree, pretty much any game forums you go on will have it's share of the gimme gimme gimme crowd,
    never played a game fps/mmo or anything where they didn't make their presence felt on a regular basis.

I'm suprised that no one has whined about three days credited. (i'm sure there has been whining, I just haven't seen it)
    give them time i'm sure someones account time is running out and if they don't have another 3 day's before it get's locked you'll see the rant's start
    Last edited by daloco1; Sep 1st, 2007 at 18:05:42.
    Misslocomp 220/30/70 General of RKA UNITED
    and too many alts to list

wrote a bunch of stuff... deleted it, falls on deaf ears anyway

short version is I aint happy at lack of increased SK <3 during this weekend.
    Lamargo NM Pistol/Nader - 220/19 - Bio
    General of Insanity-Inc {Omni/Rimor} -> Recruitment Thread - Website

No.

They promised 10.

Not dollars, but 10, they never said what currency it would be, and by the looks of it, its something like italien lire, not dollars.

And you cant fault the people thinking it would be dollars for being disapointed when they found out it wasnt.

I for one have been waiting on this since I saw Sil's letter, and I got to say I got very disapointed when it didnt arrive on friday (I thought) and even more disapointed when I saw on saturday that it actully been on since friday, but that it had no impact at all on the SK I had gained and that it probably wouldnt for the rest of the weekend neither.
    "Bash and smash is the name of me game, and bash and smash is, er, kinda like me name."

Sorry folks, this was just a ploy to get more people to log in over the weekend so they could say at Dragoncon "See how many people play AO?" Padding the numbers FTL...
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

I would have prefered that they kept the money and maybe hire another developer. A buck means nothing to me but a dollar from everyone might buy a developer for six months.

You mean, this is the forum where people would whine if you promised to give them 10 euros on a certain date, also promised on more info on the whole deal, but then went completely silent and had someone else give out 5 Canadian dollars when the time came.

Not to mention that us players from the EU get shafted every time we pay for the game. We pay 1 dollar:1 euro rates when euro's worth 1.3~1.4 dollars, and then we get to pay 15% on top of it in VAT. Awesome! Seriously, the least FC could do is give us free Paid Points Americans don't get. :-p Because, you know, it'd be fair and all.

Unless you think it's fair that, if paying monthly, we pay some 23.4 dollars in total instead of the 14 something dollars Americans pay and what we get in return for these insanely high rates is higher latency (servers are in the US). ;p
    Executing Nano Program: Gift of Assurance. Target has not enough nano controlling units (NCU) left. Swordbreaker: Not enough NCU. O_o Fixichong: FFS Fixichong: ive failed as a fixer Fixichong: i quit

One of the first of those people who put the Infused Dust Brigade Engineer Pistol (2,7k ME/EE making req) + Infused Master Engineer Pistol on the same Engineer before any updates that fixed anything (including the original sync issues inside the DB instance), lolz!11

Quote Originally Posted by Swordbreaker View Post
    You mean, this is the forum where people would whine if you promised to give them 10 euros on a certain date, also promised on more info on the whole deal, but then went completely silent and had someone else give out 5 Canadian dollars when the time came.

Not to mention that us players from the EU get shafted every time we pay for the game. We pay 1 dollar:1 euro rates when euro's worth 1.3~1.4 dollars, and then we get to pay 15% on top of it in VAT. Awesome! Seriously, the least FC could do is give us free Paid Points Americans don't get. :-p Because, you know, it'd be fair and all.

Unless you think it's fair that, if paying monthly, we pay some 23.4 dollars in total instead of the 14 something dollars Americans pay and what we get in return for these insanely high rates is higher latency (servers are in the US). ;p
    Simple fix: Move to the USA!

"Ignorance is bliss."
    Phat'est Trader on Rimor
    Phat = Pretty Hot and Tempting.
    Entrepreneur Grandmaster "Chacapo" Baiter - Forever Nerfed
    Also known as 'Poir'
    Clanners will be crushed!
    Omni-Tek shall prevail!
    One of the First Traders on Rimor To Have Nanobot Defense and Grand Theft Humidity

/complain

I really want to fit in with you guys and stuff but ur all just a bunch of whiney babies.

FC kicks ass and we all love this game anyway... get over it already. jeez.
    I didn't even log in this weekend.
    Joe "Sefus" Werkit 212/17
    Squad Commander - PR - Recruitment
    3305 Local

Quote Originally Posted by Sefus View Post
    I didn't even log in this weekend.
    Lots of people dont even log ... anymore. Not sure it's a love proof for FC.

I don't mean to sound bitter, but are you freaking kidding me? There is a lot of complaining on these forums, but in this instance don't you feel that the 'apology fix' was lame?

Here, let me quote it for you:
    Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion
    Also we will adding bonus exp levels to game next weekend starting on Friday the 31st and carrying on through the weekend. Keep your eyes out for more specific details on that over the course of next week.
    The guy says that it will be turned on Friday. Many of us logged in Friday (GMT) to see no change. Enough people must have petitioned in game so that Funcom finally puts in a system message to let us know that it's on. Bonus Exp is pretty damn lame when you have to tell someone that it's on.

My favorite part is that they only made it for outdoor stuff. Why not just slap it on the Side Bonus exp so that:
    1 - It can easily be seen by all (you'd see it when you view your character details)
    2 - It would affect all aspects of exp / SK gain in game (not just outdoor grinding)
    3 - The Clans on RK2 would actually see some side exp and feel better about themselves again.

And to top it all off, the server (RK2) was lagging so bad that I simply gave up and played Dawn of War for a change of pace.

So I have a message for Silirrion:
    Fix the freaking lag and DO WHAT YOU SAY YOU ARE GOING TO DO. It's not that hard. And if it is too hard, you're in the wrong business to begin with...
    Last edited by Dono; Sep 5th, 2007 at 15:44:42.
    -Dono
    Proud Member of The Renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    The guy says that it will be turned on Friday. Many of us logged in Friday (GMT) to see no change. Enough people must have petitioned in game so that Funcom finally puts in a system message to let us know that it's on. Bonus Exp is pretty damn lame when you have to tell someone that it's on.
    I agree with you 100%. I really could care less about the "xp bonus" more than the principle of the whole matter. He (Sil) said it was gonna be on, yet it is so small none of the player base can feel the bonus (if it even existed). Further more, it is even more distressing that FC has not even addressed the issue. Its not like there are not 25 bonus xp threads floating around waiting for an answer.

A simple, "Yes, we did boost the xp on RK outdoor mobs that are between levels 68-73, located in Southern Foul Hills by 0.000125%."

As for the adding 3 additional days to my account....Woot!!! Yay!!! they saved me $0.79. I am rich! A legitimate & honest explanation about the lag and the bonus xp is worth more to me than $0.79.

At least if they offered up a short explanation it would not seem as deceptive as it seems now.
    Last edited by Linkee; Sep 5th, 2007 at 18:33:43.
    Linkee 220/21 Omni, Atrox Fixer

The first to not be first at anything....

Quote Originally Posted by Linkee View Post
    At least if they offered up a short explanation it would not seem as deceptive as it seems now.
    As it stands now, it looks like nothing more than a marketing / PR ploy to get a larger number of people signed in during Dragoncon weekend. The servers were laggy, the exp bonus was worthless and I've yet to see anything from Funcom explaining otherwise.

And they wonder why the players in this game give up. We don't give up because of the game, we do so because of the incredible lack of leadership on the development side and the insane technical issues which seem to only plague FUncom.
    -Dono
    Proud Member of The Renaissance

There is certainly no deception involved, in terms of the technical issues I think its fair to say that you guys have had as much information as was possible throughout. Anyone who was reading my posts during these issues is basically as well informed as anyone here (in fact some of the team were reading the threads to keep up so as not to bother the technical folk ). I think we are as open and forthcoming with the information relating to this issue as was possible.

As I said in the other threads the intention was to provide the increased exp on all outside playfields, and from what we could tell it did activate and was working. Where the problems arose was in two fold, firstly that it was applied before the other bonus exp was calculated which confused matters slightly and was capped by the exp hard caps (if you are already getting max exp on a kill no amount of bonus will go beyond it).

It's unfortunate that I wasn't able to communicate that clearly before the weekend, and that we had some issues activating it, but there was certainly no evil intent or conspiracy, just a genuine note of thanks for your patience during the recent issues.

In future if we plan to do these things I think we will wait for an update and make a buff or item based solution for awarding bonuses like this, as that will ensure that everyone will be able to benefit without any confusion.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    In future if we plan to do these things I think we will wait for an update and make a buff or item based solution for awarding bonuses like this, as that will ensure that everyone will be able to benefit without any confusion.
    Maybe you should plan this for the NEXT update since we were not informed of the 'details' regarding the bonus xp until the weekend was half over. Especially since you cut out the main places people are trying to level, such as Inferno missions. All you did was promote heckn00bs, kite teams, and fr00bs.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

There is certainly no deception involved, in terms of the technical issues I think its fair to say that you guys have had as much information as was possible throughout. Anyone who was reading my posts during these issues is basically as well informed as anyone here (in fact some of the team were reading the threads to keep up so as not to bother the technical folk ). I think we are as open and forthcoming with the information relating to this issue as was possible.

As I said in the other threads the intention was to provide the increased exp on all outside playfields, and from what we could tell it did activate and was working. Where the problems arose was in two fold, firstly that it was applied before the other bonus exp was calculated which confused matters slightly and was capped by the exp hard caps (if you are already getting max exp on a kill no amount of bonus will go beyond it).

It's unfortunate that I wasn't able to communicate that clearly before the weekend, and that we had some issues activating it, but there was certainly no evil intent or conspiracy, just a genuine note of thanks for your patience during the recent issues.

Maybe it's just me, but if I tell my customers that they are going to get bonus xp (and apparently double xp according to some posts, including famine's), then they would GET bonus/double xp.

As far as I'm aware NOT A SINGLE PERSON got bonus xp. Especially not double xp. If, as you stated, the bonus xp was added before the other bonus xp's were calculated, then it should have been a greater bonus xp for the weekend, because as it stands, the other bonus xp CANCELED OUT what we (supposedly) got for the weekend.

And what about hardcaps? If you can increase the xp increase, you can certainly remove caps. In my opinion, you should have done this as well. The whole point of the double xp weekend was to show your appreciation to the community for your incompetence relating to the servers for 3 weeks+, and their loss of gametime. Instead, you've screwed your customers once again.

P.S. Even after the xp "level" caps, there was no bonus xp noticed either. Also, if there is another invisible xp cap aside from level caps, then obviously, the shadowlands reaches it and the bonus xp never had a chance. Why would players all go to RK to get double xp bonus when shadowlands gives it 24/7? (Or, in your case, 22/4)

-snip-

How about looking at borrowing code from the Faction bonus system instead?

that seems to work no matter where people are.
    Deagnor 204 Solitus Fixer (Omni) Director of R.U.R.
    ---*** Other RuRians ***---
    83 Opti Pistol Advent Motafrancis | Ovnor 161 Solitus Engineer
    117 Nanomage NT Knightweaver | DiceSlice 83 Opti 1HE Advent
    145 NanoMage MP Miner49 | Mohelunz 69 Solitus Doc
    141 Atrox Enf Cluedozer | Icewrench 63 Opti Fixer
    Icelo 57 Opti Keeper
    Sig updated Sept 2, 2008

Im pretty sure removing the caps would require more than just a buttonpress like the xp bonus (which Im not sure I received either) required. And it would be quite nasty..... e.g. complete your low level researches in just one inf mish, level 2 or 3 times your lvl 190ish alts, etcetc
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast