Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this is crazy..

Angry this is crazy..

What is this?
    The 3rd or 4th time you give ETA on 14.5 and then not keeping that..
    Better to say 14.5 will be in game sometime in the future, this is very annoying..
    Maybe its time to do something to test server so patches is acually well tested....

Arrow

The reason for it being postponed is *because* we tested it..., if the testers hadn't caught this one it *would* have gone live, and people whould have moaned about 'what use is the test server'. Now they'll moan 'we'd have got awau with it if it hadn't been for you meddling testers..' heh
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

I think its good you found a bug, thats not my problem..
    The problem is I dont think they should have set an ETA on it before it was fully tested..

what does ETA mean??

ESTIMATE time of arrival...

its just an indication of when to expect it, who cares u have to wait 1 hour longer if that means u wont have to go through a nasty bug after its on live...

Arrow

ETA = *estimated* time of arrival.

But yes, it might have been a better idea to emphasise that fact (especially since testlive only got the 'final' patch yesterday). People would probably still have moaned though. Its a lose-lose situation for FC really...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

I don't think it's crazy at all, I really am not a fanboy, but this time I think FC made the right choise.

The system is, try to improve the game, test your work, implement.

At the test stage, and bugg is found, good work all those on test, saved a lot of people hastles on live with their mains.

Coders tried to fix the error, can't be done in time. so postpone patch.

If some one orders fries, and in the box they get a potato, guess we could say the fries aint rdy yet.

I don't think this is crazy at all, I've flamed at FC for NOT doing exactley this in the past, when we're had yet more server down-time so a patch can be patched, this way is better imo.

peace
    cal
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

If they had released the patch with bugs, the flames from this board and others would have engulfed the FC headquarters reducing it to ashes. Im sure there will still be bugs but maybe no major ones. Kinda bummed though because Im off work today and would have had all day to camp the new spawns. :-( (sarcasm)
    "tYpInG lIkE tHiS or using numbers for letters (D00D!) is not clever, and will get you marked as someone to avoid."
    -Sybex Official Strategies and Secrets of Anarchy Online

146 Nano NT - Ayabe (retired, naked, and penniless)
    33 Opifex Fixer - Nekkidas (orphaned)
    72 Sol MA - Medang (orphaned)
    42 Sol MP - Lilake (orphaned)
    18 Sol Adv (orphaned)
    10 Sol Trader (orphaned)

FC doesn't release dates to the public = FC gets flamed

FC releases a patch with bugs = FC gets flamed

FC postpones a scheduled patch to fix bugs = FC gets flamed

<sigh>
    Drusillus
    Band of Brothers

Level 143 Omni-Tek Chief Engineer

Curator of the Rubi-Ka Encyclopaedia of Armor

Originally posted by caloss2
    If some one orders fries, and in the box they get a potato, guess we could say the fries aint rdy yet.
    Rothwinter born 4th September 2001

Advisor of KAZE and I eat leet

Exclamation

Crazy? Did someone say my name?

Thanks Testers

Thanks for beating back the Feature Creep and the manditory bugs.

Facts Flamers:
    Every new feature will have a certain percentage of bugs attached to it. This is a norm for all software development.

If we had smaller less impressive content patches, we could have more of them (my vote).

Larger patches because there is more functionality, will have more issues.

Many issues cannot be caught by test, though test has to be ever vigilant.

No one wants to delay release, but it is the best thing if there is grevious problems

one alternative to resisting delay is removal of material - not what i want.

when the new patch comes out, you will understand why it was worth the time, or you are stuck in a rather repeatative play style.

so, FC, hurry up, limit the feature creep, get me content asap, and players please be content as well.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

Thanks to all testers for revealing the bugs.
    Lion Strimple aka Sware

Arrow

We do our best, but you can't catch everything, some bugs don't even show up on live for quite sometime because they are so infrequent.

However, this one was pretty obvious, though it took me several minutes to realise quite how serious it was, and much more testing to be sure of what was happening. Others had spotted the same bug in other forms.

Whilst more numerous smaller patches seem a good idea, the effort involved in actually doing a patch of any size: write->debug->build patch->qa patch->test patch - repeat as needed, then build final patch, down servers for several hours... you get the picture. You might end up using more time doing the stuff around a patch than actually writing the code and designing the content.

That said, over 2 months is getting a bit extreme...

Talking

Well as a martial artist, I am glad you found the bug on test before it went live. If the patch had went live and BwT was broken I would have been upset to say the least. So, rock on testers!!! And, thank you for the job you do for us.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TESTER!!!!
    They do a job that they don't get paid for, and are thanked very little. Please be kind to them.

*Fistgoddess gives a big thumbs up to the testers*

What was the bug, anyways?
    "I'll die before I give you a nuclear destruction maximum capability device of some kind." - Einstein

Yeah, what was it?

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Originally posted by Darkbane
    We do our best, but you can't catch everything, some bugs don't even show up on live for quite sometime because they are so infrequent.

However, this one was pretty obvious, though it took me several minutes to realise quite how serious it was, and much more testing to be sure of what was happening. Others had spotted the same bug in other forms.

Whilst more numerous smaller patches seem a good idea, the effort involved in actually doing a patch of any size: write->debug->build patch->qa patch->test patch - repeat as needed, then build final patch, down servers for several hours... you get the picture. You might end up using more time doing the stuff around a patch than actually writing the code and designing the content.

That said, over 2 months is getting a bit extreme...
    that with the fact that in a game this size changing one thing might require changing 50 different items to get the desired effects so in essence no patch is a small matter.

~aqua

Arrow

Originally posted by Nobelium
    What was the bug, anyways?
    All special attacks (MA, fixer bullets and special arrows) were not doing damage...

Given that potentially affects something like 35-40% of the playerbase...

*lol*

**** the ETA. Take all the time you need to fix that.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Arrow Haha

Originally posted by Darkbane

All special attacks (MA, fixer bullets and special arrows) were not doing damage...

Given that potentially affects something like 35-40% of the playerbase...
    Reminds me of patch 12.6 when ONLY specials worked and patch went live anyhow... They lost many, many, many players that weekend; doubt they want a repeat of that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast