Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director: 5 October 2007

cheers for update to ancient useless "title" system
    Tergx 220 Atrox Trader | 220 Soli doc | 220 Enf & other toons
    Synergy Factor org ~ APPLY HERE

When readin replies in AO forums, just remember ........ there is no cure for stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Syyceria View Post
    Come on, it took me just 5 minutes to kill a level 178 MA with health-drains and trader pets...our toolset does work

Impressive, Funcom
    Xaislain (212/19) Opifex Saviour

1 EUR = 1.4 USD ATM

Why do some of us have to pay 40% more for the same thing?????

Quote Originally Posted by charmant View Post
    1 EUR = 1.4 USD ATM

Don't forget 15% VAT.
    Main: Chavelle | Equip (slightly outdated)

Secondly we want to introduce a system that rewards both solo and team PVP so that teaming isn’t seen as something unnecessary (or even worse detrimental!) in PVP.
    Fix soldier reflect aura stacking orders!
    Famous "Azzamis" Pants -- 220/30/68 Soldier -- Retired

CosmicOsmo #465 -- N.A. Starcraft 2 -- sc2ranks
    Daesis Wrack -- EVE Online -- killboard

Thank you very much for taking the time to write yet another letter to us, Sil. Think you have since you took over as Game Director written as many as the combined letters of all the other GDs, so good on ya mate Keep it up

Though I am no PVPer, it does please me that FC is looking into making it work and actually show skill, both as a soloer or as a team.

However I still must say that as a European paying for this game, it does put a damper on the day to see that we pay more for the same content, and this is something I would love to somehow see fixed in one way or another.

Otherwise, it all looks like great news, keep up the good work
    Transcendence
    ----
    220 iii "Quilluck" iiiiii :: iii "Quillster" i 165
    074 iii "Tradeursoul" i :: i "Fourthaid" ii 220
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by charmant View Post
    1 EUR = 1.4 USD ATM

I was going to ask the exact same thing.

After all the years of accepting the game of "screw the europeans" since the change from Dollar-only to Euro-and-Dollar, I feel it is now the right time to ask:

Did you folks at Funcom finally arrive in the year 2007 where one Euro is 1.41 US-Dollars and realize that your european customers are getting the really short end of the stick - now more than ever?

I know this is not the lone decision of any AO-Team member, but most likely the "brilliant" idea of one of the bean counters in the financial department.

An honest word about the matter from our Game Director would still go a long way.
    ಠ_ಠ

Just gotta say a massive GJ to Sil from the looks of his letter upcoming work on AO is gonna rule.

Euro-$...doesn't that get mentioned every time ppl have to pay for something.......Living in England i can mostly say HA. (Translated in to AO speak £>$>Euros )

I'm loving that pvp is getting looked at finally have just got into it thanks to the BS I'm looking forward to pvp getting worked on (just don't screw it up more yeah)
    220Solja/213Engi/174Fixer/210Ady/165nt/150Advy/150MA/146Keeper+a lot of lowbies.

"You two will get on like a house on fire" ever been in a burning house?

"All your dreams will come true" remember some of your dreams do you?

Moved this message from another thread to here instead:

Jobe apartments, Leet pets and the small mech are meant to be be bonuses for the people who pre-ordered expansions, who decided to stick with the game early. In some cases, nice rewards for taking part in community competetitions also.

There will also be the opportunity to purchase the previous pre-order exclusive items directly from the billing pages. These are exclusive items that many loyal players hold dear and we most definitely appreciate that. However there are also many players who joined after they were available so giving them the option of paying for them if they want to have them is something that we thought was a suitable solution since people do keep asking if these items would be available again.
    Apparently not...Selling them is basically saying "thanks for the loyalty to the game shown with the pre-ordering, now we're gonna kick you in the teeth".

ELLTS stopped dropping before I joined game, can I buy one of those?

Can I also ask about these payed points stuff not meant to be affecting anything gameplay-wise? I think a mech does that?

I’ve read various threads back and forth on the forums asking why these vehicles aren’t stat increasing items or give actual game-play benefits. We have said from the outset with this particular project that we didn’t want to create a situation where gameplay was affected by the size of your bank balance, and that has been a vital part of the development.
    There you go, those mechs are speedy and have a good situational use, those with them can benefit over those without.
    Want triples nerfed? Here is what you can do (Don't be so retarded to apply this to todays game)

Server 1sts: Only NT, and probably non-doc to solo LOTV.
    First LB member to recieve org forum and guest chat ban on departure <3

[Neophyte soldier]: I can see your nukes ignore AMS, keep doing it noob, I'm petitioning as we speak!

WTB 2 Fixes for grafts
    PVP roots for all rooting classes

Currently forced to enjoy RK4 (broken PC), I'll be back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanofox1 View Post
    Apparently not...Selling them is basically saying "thanks for the loyalty to the game shown with the pre-ordering, now we're gonna kick you in the teeth".
    That's not how we look at it at all, those who pre-ordered and got those items at the time, got them as a free gift, at no extra charge as an incentive and benefit from pre-ordering. Those who will be able to get them now (and remember we get new players every day, many people never even got the chance to get these items) will be paying additionally for them if they really want to get them.

I think we have many systems (including the pre-order gifts) that have rewarded loyal and long term subscribers, and giving newer players the chance to own these items (at a cost remember) is a reasonable avenue. Now if we were giving them away free to everyone I might understand the sentiment, but we aren't.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

Are these points to work like the Vet Points in that all characters on the account get the same amount of points, independent of each other?

Or are the points going to be linked by character (i.e. you buy the points for only 1 character at a time), or by account (you buy the points for an account, and buying something on one character reduces the points available on all characters on that account)?
    General of Umojan Protectorate - Technical Department
    General of Haven - Technical Department
    Norbal, 220/19 MP - "Slightly" off-kilter NM - equip
    Norbby, 220/20 Keeper - stabbing anything that moves

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    And all MPs should be forced to speak like that Architect guy from the Matrix when RP'ing....
    I bump this daily, drop by and say hi?

Sil, you're a professional and I appreciate that.

Game Director Silirrion,

I just wanted to say I do appreciate that you are actively addressing the past issues with the game in terms of small bugs that really weren't so insignificant to the individuals they affected. It's like a blemish that won't go away, but once cleared you feel that much better about being able to continue without an unfinished task holding you back. Thanks. I also appreciate your risk taking with adding new items that will not really affect the game but help players and your developers establish really what works in game and what the player-base is looking for. Lastly, I appreciate you acknowledging issues that the players have brought up in terms of both PvP and PvM. These issues were big bulletpoints in to-do lists for AO by the players and your affirmation that these issues are being addressed shows me that you are a true professional and are conscious of how important the quality of this game is to it's dedicated players.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

P.S. As far as the introduction of old items to the new players is concerned, I think that is a great move on your part. I consider myself a veteran AO player as I have played since mid release of Shadowlands and have known the people I play with now for as long as they have played. I don't feel cheated at all with the release of these items to the new players. I think it brings more equality in the community and keeps some who feel these "vet items" empower them and establish them amongst the rest. This should not be the case, you have already allowed veteran players to 'stand out fromt he crowd' with veteran items. Thanks.

Very glad to hear about the title system.

On that note...

I think it would really, really help out the game as a whole. If you added a stats program, window, ect. Along with the new title system.

Simply put. People like competition. They LOVE it. It is part of what drives this game, especially pvp. I think with a proper stats system (like, or unlike wow's) you would get alot more people into pvp. And alot of otherwise uninterested players, interested in AO. Particulalry its Player vs Player.

My suggestion. A window. You can target a player and look at their stats. A whole slew of them. (and search a database) Preferably. The more complicated, the better. As much as as you can, and not affect performance.

A good example of this (but not only). Is alien kills and deaths. But it needs to go farther. Much more indepth.

Some examples, that would really make PvP more interesting.

Herkulease's Stats

Players Killed.

Kills
    Soldiers. 10
    Agents. 4
    Fixers. 18
    Crats. 30! Server Leader! Game Second. (Rimor Leads total)
    Ect. For all the professions.

Total Kills!

Assists
    Ect. For all the professions.

Total Assists!

Deaths to each profesion.

Soldier 100% (Number of deaths)
    Doc 0%
    MA 70%
    Shade 10%
    Fixer 20%
    Ect.

Total Deaths.

Average % in pvp.

Damage (And from regular/specials/perks, ect)
    Damage Shield.
    Average % reflect while in pvp, (And pvm).
    Average damage taken.
    Average damage healed.
    Average hits avoided.
    Average specials avoided.
    Average specials avoided.

Fight Style
    Average % time in fight.
    Average % time running. (moving in fight)
    Average % time in AP.
    Number of players killed in AP.
    Most AP kills Ever.
    Least AP kills Ever.

Average number of nanos cast.

Duels Won/Lost
    Vs Advy.
    Vs Agent.
    Vs Crat.
    Ect.

Ect Ect.

I could go on and on. Regarding PvM. Average basic stats, hp, evades, ect.

Would be nice to see a characters age. And the accounts age. (If the said player wanted to allow for that to be visible.)

But yea. Tons of possibilities, and I really think that if you added a very nice system like this, you could really help draw players to the game. More complicated the better. Number of leets killed would be nice 8) Maybe hecklers too! Im sure its not all possible, but Id imagine (at least some of it will be reasonable with the new duel system you are considering implimenting.

I think it would add a very nice, and fun part to the game.

Some nice ones (if you can figure out how to add them).

Great Escapes. (Attacked by 10, no death, resulting in being out of fight). Fixers would prolly win this one 8p
    (Each profession leader, second, third) Maybe even a top 10

Kill Chain. Greatest number of kills without a death.
    All Time Leader

Death Chain..... 8p
    All Time Leader
    Last edited by Wantsumore; Oct 5th, 2007 at 23:29:42.
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Main: Herkulease

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu

Quote Originally Posted by Wantsumore View Post
    On that note...Blah blah blah blah blah
    All Time Leader
    Keep it in the suggestions forum. Everytime Sil makes a post people try to interject like the newbs at press conferences.

Well duh 8p I am newb at press conferance 8p And yea might have got carried away 8p But at least I know he will read it now ^^
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu

Quote Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
    P.S. As far as the introduction of old items to the new players is concerned, I think that is a great move on your part. I consider myself a veteran AO player as I have played since mid release of Shadowlands
    Your join date says you missed Jobe Apartments and leets keys, of course you agree with wanting to buy them...
    Want triples nerfed? Here is what you can do (Don't be so retarded to apply this to todays game)

Server 1sts: Only NT, and probably non-doc to solo LOTV.
    First LB member to recieve org forum and guest chat ban on departure <3

[Neophyte soldier]: I can see your nukes ignore AMS, keep doing it noob, I'm petitioning as we speak!

WTB 2 Fixes for grafts
    PVP roots for all rooting classes

Currently forced to enjoy RK4 (broken PC), I'll be back soon.

I have played since 2001 8) And only ever figured out forums in 04 8p

I don't mind people having access to the content. Really, I know exactly how they feel. I always wanted one of those halloween bears 8p And have never been able to get my hands on it 8( So bump for people being able to buy them (Or the likes, was an example). As far as I see it, our bonus was just what is was intended. A pre order bonus. We got it first, and had it for a few years to ourselves, lets not be greedy 8).

But yea, I am very glad to hear any news about the title system. And I won't hold Sil to his comment regarding the graphics update, but I am very happy to hear it isnt way, way off in the distance like I feared 8)
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu

I wish to say good job about the pvp title changes, but it will be hard to not overlook something that could potentially create problems in the long run. A possible Example of team pvp changes: a team of 6 vs a team of 2, not sure how this would work out with points and stuff, maybe only teams of an equal # could get points or whatever you guys are coming up with. But I don't know if you really want people with less friends or those that chose to have a smaller team to effect the situation. I hope you'll give us more insight in the near future. cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Dirty Underpants of Bungerman
    Runspeed: - 1989
    Sense: -314
    Intelligence: -50

These befouled undergarments are painfully confining having previously belonged to a detail-oriented individual with much smaller genitals. Walking is difficult...running is impossible. Stains of a dubious nature adorn both the front and back of these "tighty-whities". Noxious fumes make your eyes burn and your nose run while wearing these. One can only imagine what you are doing wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanofox1 View Post
    Your join date says you missed Jobe Apartments and leets keys, of course you agree with wanting to buy them...
    that's when i joined the forums, not the game.

And frankly, I don't need a jobe apartment. Or leets. I didn't pre-order because I didn't want them. The personal mech would be nice. done.

Quote Originally Posted by bungerman View Post
    I wish to say good job about the pvp title changes, but it will be hard to not overlook something that could potentially create problems in the long run. A possible Example of team pvp changes: a team of 6 vs a team of 2, not sure how this would work out with points and stuff, maybe only teams of an equal # could get points or whatever you guys are coming up with. But I don't know if you really want people with less friends or those that chose to have a smaller team to effect the situation. I hope you'll give us more insight in the near future. cheers

wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Wantsumore View Post
    Well duh 8p I am newb at press conferance 8p And yea might have got carried away 8p But at least I know he will read it now ^^
    Or see that's what you're trying to do and skip over it like I did.

Can you please consider this fix for pvp while we're at it?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast