Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director: 5 October 2007

Thx for the info... glad to see PvP tweaking taking place My 2 cents is that if (like someone suggested), pvp info is accessabile, it should be for the player only, not the opponent. For the player it shows them strength/weakness in playstyle. This is something a person should know and their oppenents don't. Also, if such info is available to others (like Alien stats), teaming turns into a numbers game that punish people for not being 'perfect' all along. Things like stats and DD only show one side of the story, they don't show the whole person (e.g. the fixer who desnares people or the MA/ADV who support heals).

As for the pricing thing... what do other mmo's do? Is it fair to hold against FC something that other MMO's aren't doing? The difference here and any other 'imported' product is that you see the difference on the billing page.

I WTB a lighter hit to the wallet of my European fellows, but taking out differences in dollar/euro valuations on FC imo isn't well directed.

Companies that deal in multiple currencies ( Like FC ) have a base currency for their parent company. That may be euros, USD, or Norwegian Krone (if that still exists, dunno aint been there).

All currencies are converted into the parent company's base currency for reporting, tax, profit etc purposes.

Whatever way you look at it, the profit from european customers is higher per capita than it is from USA customers.

Relative income in different currency areas is irrelevant. As a company FC receives more from each european customer than from USA customers, and there is no justification for this happening over an extended period. One should not expect short term fluctuations to be catered for, but monthly adjustments are normal in business.

There are many examples of products and services that are priced incorrectly, but they are becoming harder to maintain. Recently dear Mr Gates from microsoft announced that he would be changing the prices of his products because it was pointed out to him that europeans were paying more for them. (of course, he can afford it :P ).

Id be sure the majority of FC customers pay by credit card. There is no need to charge in different currencies on credit cards, certainly in europe you can pay for pretty much anything in USD if you need to.

The reality is that FC are gaining at the expense of european customers after a prolonged decrease in the USD rate to Euro that has continued gradually for at least 3 years. I dont particularly blame them, if they can get away with it they will. The only way they would realistically resolve it is to charge US people more, rather than europeans less.

However, we all have the right to make our own choices on this, and the extent of the variation is such that I decline to spend money on paid points.

At the least, they could allow europeans to pay in USD, but they dont.
    Last edited by Loul; Oct 9th, 2007 at 20:55:31. Reason: I cant spell
    stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Loul View Post
    ...Excellent post...
    Spot on...
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

dear funcom your a bunch o damn hypocrites selling in game items for rl cash what a rippoff and please remind me why we all bothered to make pre orders if your just gonna sell those special items to all and sundry please tell me im waiting to hear what crap excuses u come up with?

Quote Originally Posted by mugwie View Post
    dear funcom your a bunch o damn hypocrites selling in game items for rl cash what a rippoff and please remind me why we all bothered to make pre orders if your just gonna sell those special items to all and sundry please tell me im waiting to hear what crap excuses u come up with?
    i think someone needs a hug.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    lol .......... or a kick in the teeth
    Tergx 220 Atrox Trader | 220 Soli doc | 220 Enf & other toons
    Synergy Factor org ~ APPLY HERE

When readin replies in AO forums, just remember ........ there is no cure for stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Syyceria View Post
    Come on, it took me just 5 minutes to kill a level 178 MA with health-drains and trader pets...our toolset does work

Some awesome news regarding the titles system!
    We have been asking for that for such a long time now.
    I really hope it makes the BS more thrilling and that we ll get teams engaging eachother now instead of just some titlefarmers farming damage!

A very good change
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    I just wish these people that come out of the shadows to complain about something that was announced months ago would at least take the time to read the official statements and discussions that followed before spewing their OMGZ!!1 crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Harios View Post
    Some awesome news regarding the titles system!
    We have been asking for that for such a long time now.
    I really hope it makes the BS more thrilling and that we ll get teams engaging eachother now instead of just some titlefarmers farming damage!

A very good change
    you didnt hear it from me... but the inside word is, the new system will be cookie based.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

What's good in pvp now is that proffessions complete each others. We have the damage guys, the control ones, the buffs, the debuffs and the heals. But the game encourage you to fight alone more then in group. And so we have people from all proffessions asking for insta kill multi special weapons and special blockers.

And as much as I like people running away in battle, I hate the way people waste the potential of team battles.

Duels sound good too, can we have some team vs team fights too ?
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Meet "older than dirt".

psh, young ones
    Soldier Equip

Victory to the omnis! The Renaissance attacked Nemesis in theyre base in Mort. The attackers won!
    [Gimpybot] Kiwaczek: how the hell they plant ct 8 min before timer ? [Gimpybot] Zantezutske: another nice exploit? (The Renaissance built CT)

Vlain: I am milk every of yous!!!

Proud member of The Renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by ICCKoruption View Post

oh, and for the price, its once, not monthly, its 2 packs of smokes, or a trip to the cinema, if 20 bucks is that pivotal in ones life, you shouldnt really be playing a pay account, let alone paying for internet.
    Well, for me, 20 € is
    - a week of smoking or
    - a week of food if I keep it simple or
    - 2 times cinema
    etc. etc.

In fact, for people like me who are unemployed atm, it is money to calculate with, and I´m busy enough to get the cash together for my subscriptions which are my main hobbies and keep me from going insane.

I won´t mind being billed in US $ at all - as it was before the Euro was introduced, and I gladly would pay 2 % conversion rate rather than 40% in general.
    Since that DM - EU change, prices in general went up the roof here, in some cases you feel as if they just replaced the DM sign with the € sign ... so yeah, it adds up.

We are screwed over with the subscription fees, with the expansion prices, and now with the paid points as well - currently, the paid points don´t affect the game play really, but latest with the new expansions working with paid points as well, they will - and then tell me, what would the ones who are billed in US $ now say if FC (sitting in Norway) would go and suddenly bill everyone in € and leave it to your CC companies or banks to do the conversion, and you´d have to pay the same as we do for years now?

Just my 2 cent.

PS: in the 17.6 thread there are a few calculations listed with the price differences during a couple of years ... very interesting...
    Thaylia - Martial Artist
    Spellseeker - Nanotechnician
    Kahja - Doctor

"Authenticity is achieved by saying what you´re doing, and doing what you´re saying." - Johannes Rau
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Socializer 80%, Explorer 53%, Achiever 53%, Killer 13%

I am glad there is some PvP tweaking going on.
    I haven't been able to PvP since I got my "Novice" title.
    It took a lot of ganking to get that and I can't bear to give it up!

Oh I cant wait for the title changes making death not as big a factor. Now getting a high title doesnt exclude you from doing usefull stuff in a BS like cappin g points. you decide to be a good point capper for a weekend and you can go down 3+ titles easy.

Sometimes Rambo stuff is fun instead of playing it safe. No your not excluded from the former if you wanna keep titles I hope.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

The two posts above this are good reasons to eliminate titles completely

Quote Originally Posted by Rewo View Post
    The two posts above this are good reasons to eliminate titles completely
    Over my dead body!

Quote Originally Posted by skygawd View Post
    Over my dead body!
    That can be arranged.

Exclamation Deeply concerned...

We have said from the outset with this particular project that we didn’t want to create a situation where gameplay was affected by the size of your bank balance, and that has been a vital part of the development.
    I agree, that is game mechanics, now socially...

Are these points going to open the game up to more scamming problems?

How will this impact the players?

Now those who have lots of money in real life versus those that don't

- well I think it will be more apparent.

(Maybe some long gruelling quests so some others can get them and Grid Stream prizes? So it is not too exclusive? Or is that how they are marketed to sell? "Here kiddies pimp out look rich too all your friends?")

Sorry that was a bit negative but it is a true concern to me and it is because of how I was not how I am now.

As you can see I am a subscriber. I was a fr00b and I want to thank Funcom for that. It helped me uplift my spirits while I went through a long period of looking for one.
    Last edited by Jenshai; Oct 24th, 2007 at 08:03:03.
    More Barbie instead of GI Joe game content, please!
    *Yngvild Lothe* ex AO quest designer -- "... So now you just want cheap thrills..." Classic server.
    Role Playing guide
    • Main account = Classic.

Phasefront can go jump in the ... oh wait it is already there!
    (Since openning, I have used the West Gate, Battle Station or NL grid point, twice).
    ALLNEUTS - always helping new players, regardless of faction.
    Neutral, can mean real freedom for you. ||| New year's resolution - stay off these forums. Hope you are happy now.
    Expansions don't enhance the game, they just extend it and make the beginning easier to catch up in order to race frantically at the "front"

Kahava - "... we had a civil community."

The problem is that FC needs alternate sources of income.

It's all well and good to have the froob progam (and infact, I think it's probably the best business decision FC ever made), but the fact is that running 3 huge server banks is incredibly expensive.

I agree that paid points items should be mostly non-gameplay affecting, but there are a few things that could be purchased for paid points that wouldn't largely affect gameplay that would be hugely popular.

For example, transferring between servers. Or a "bank" that's shared across all toons on an account (reduce the number of mules ingame). Or even purchasing IPR's.

Anyway, I believe that as long as the item is not seriously gamplay effecting (IE buying your BoC for paid points) and sticks to convinience and social items, I have no problem with it, and would in fact encourage it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The problem is that FC needs alternate sources of income.

It's all well and good to have the froob progam (and infact, I think it's probably the best business decision FC ever made), but the fact is that running 3 huge server banks is incredibly expensive.
    Er, have you seen their 2006 annual report? For FC as a whole, they spent US$382,000 on "Hosting costs for online services" and other support was US$118,000. Compare this with: their total net revenue ($10m), forex gain alone was $3.3m (nice one for the people complaining about USD vs euro prices). They're doing very well in fact, and I'll vouch they'll do even better in FY2007 if AoC comes out by then. In all their corporate presentations, AO is described as a highly profitable game.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast