Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Update Update

Engine Update Update

I would appreciate it if FC would let us know what the ETA is on the game engine update.

http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/an...&table=CONTENT

Quote Originally Posted by Sil's Letter
    All of that and I haven’t even mentioned the great Christmas content for this year, but you’ll get to see more on that very shortly, or the progress that the team are making with the render engine changes. We hope to be able to start showing you some footage from the new engine very shortly. It’s all still on course for mid to late next year (since there is a lot to test with something like this), but its already starting to come together and our current alpha builds are shaping up nicely, I think we will be able to surprise some with the update it will provide to the game.
    That's the last I remember hearing about the new engine
    General of Umojan Protectorate - Technical Department
    General of Haven - Technical Department
    Norbal, 220/19 MP - "Slightly" off-kilter NM - equip
    Norbby, 220/20 Keeper - stabbing anything that moves

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    And all MPs should be forced to speak like that Architect guy from the Matrix when RP'ing....
    I bump this daily, drop by and say hi?

Quote Originally Posted by Norbal View Post
    http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/an...&table=CONTENT

That's the last I remember hearing about the new engine
    Yah, that's the last I remember reading about it. I'm hoping someone from FC can provide an update now.

The status is still the same, keep your eyes peeled for the first teaser footage in the near future and we are still working towards releasing the new engine later in the year. We arent quite in a position to put an exact date on it just yet.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

they didnt hire that DX9 coder for nothing you know
    Russm-Chlorobi-Russaneer-Russypoo-Ivanmcnauty-Secksmachine-Annoyedpocky-Plooshka

He's the one that gets the coffee. For his next job, he's gonna put "I can ask how many sugars you want in your coffee." on his resume.

lol AO gonna steal people back from AoC ~_^ ..... now that would be a sight to see
    "If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please', I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'."

SirNegs - Neutral Keeper
    Negs - Neutral MP
    Lode - Neutral Doctor

Dates aside, I just wanna see some footage and info...
    歯ブラシ.........
    Chaotic Order *AP*.....
    Durtycalm - 060|05|14 - Crat .| Doctor - 56|16|220 - Durtyheals....
    Gaara - 110|11|28 - Meta .| Keeper - 58|20|220 - Tsuyoi....
    Durtysnipe - 076|08|21 - Agent |. Fixer - 60|18|213 - Durtymeep......

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Dates aside, I just wanna see some footage and info...
    won't need to, Sil already said that the textures will stay the same so there's no noticeable change.
    the only thing that is getting changed is adding the use of the GPU to render the graphics instead of using the CPU.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

That will be a huge game performance boost imo.

Sil,
    will it be an outright update? or will it be tested on the Test server?
    220 Doc ~ "Dr." Ittledoc As of 1 DEC 07 setup || 218 Trader ~ Ittletrad (TL7 gimpage on Trader profession) parked... TS monkey no reason to go any higher
    220 Enf ~ Ittlejohn (1HB FTW!!!) [E] || 146 Fix ~ Johnittle
    216 NT ~ Nanoblender || 11 Crat "WTB" Spellbot
    ~~~Pheonix Rising is Recruiting~~~
    YMMV; Guaranteed 5 min or 5 miles... whichever comes first

Quote Originally Posted by BIGMANFORCE View Post
    and i umm also think that we should have a special nano that u can only cast on froobs,that turns them into lil monkeys and forces their char to work the APF elavator!

Definitely a welcome change to actually use the GPU.... It always seemed a bit ..well 'funny' that on my quad sli machine with a physics processor, I was spending 90% of my game time in a game that didn't even use a single gpu... heh...

I wonder what the effect on lag will be... Seems most of that is server related though... Doubt it will make much difference really...

Though I expect that it will only be a moderate change for most players, as visuals remain the same, it does open the door to a lot of *possibilities* which I certainly hope they intend to take advantage of...
    Johnny IAmAMonkey Rotten: Soldier 220 (Re-perking...indefinitely)
    200 Doc / 200 Crat (in Bazzit-Induced-hibernation) Advy / NT / Fixer / Enf / Trader / blah blah blah
    General of TheOrderOfChaos one of the oldest org's in AO
    ...It must suck losing aggro, dd, and a duel to a gimp and a noob eh?
    <insert flames below this area>
    Quote Originally Posted by heartless888 View Post
    lol pvm

Quote Originally Posted by Xyphos View Post
    won't need to, Sil already said that the textures will stay the same so there's no noticeable change.
    the only thing that is getting changed is adding the use of the GPU to render the graphics instead of using the CPU.
    Actually, a new engine can give the most noticeable change in a game: better lighting.
    Textures do quite a bit for quality, but the highest quality game graphics are reached with realistic lighting.
    It's a shame lighting is over underrated by developers. It makes a huge difference if done properly.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Russm View Post
    they didnt hire that DX9 coder for nothing you know
    Yeah one guy brining it from DX7 to DX9 all by himself, no wonder it took so long o0

Quote Originally Posted by Armadyl View Post
    Yeah one guy brining it from DX7 to DX9 all by himself, no wonder it took so long o0
    Don't underestimate what 1 coder can do when working fulltime on a single thing. :P
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Don't underestimate what 1 coder can do when working fulltime on a single thing. :P
    Dont underestimate what a single coder can do when they throw him into a 6 year old codebase of "something" he never saw in his life, and most of original coders are nowhere to be found.

hey someone had to be the bringer of bad news :P
    Denis "Hafthorr" Jobes - Eternalist of Transcendence
    Gazilion of alts/twinks/buffers :P
    Agent suggestions by Sjofn : -new ql 190 nano "Call Airstrike", drops a Heckler on the target.

With AA, and improved View distance quality (and potentially improved view distance on NPC's now that it wont be a CPU hog) The visual difference will be Very noticeable, though maybe not in a small video.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

I was hoping more for a comparative demo with a moderately powered system showing basic gameplay on the old engine and the new engine to see if the gameplay becomes more fluid on systems that can now utilize more DX9 GPU offloading. I realize the textures are the same so there won't be a massive difference in the actual 'look'. I am, however, hoping for a massive difference in 'feel'
    歯ブラシ.........
    Chaotic Order *AP*.....
    Durtycalm - 060|05|14 - Crat .| Doctor - 56|16|220 - Durtyheals....
    Gaara - 110|11|28 - Meta .| Keeper - 58|20|220 - Tsuyoi....
    Durtysnipe - 076|08|21 - Agent |. Fixer - 60|18|213 - Durtymeep......

Quote Originally Posted by Iamamonkey View Post
    Definitely a welcome change to actually use the GPU.... It always seemed a bit ..well 'funny' that on my quad sli machine with a physics processor
    Sorry, but I just have to laugh at both of those. Quad SLI wasn't very good. Best so far in terms of performance is triple SLI with 8800s, but it's not supported in pretty much anything, so that's not saying much.

And a physics processor as in AGEIA? Totally useless imo. Pretty much no games use it, let alone require it. Most of the games that use it will do fine with just a single GPU or SLI/Crossfire'd GPUs (2 of them).

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    The status is still the same, keep your eyes peeled for the first teaser footage in the near future and we are still working towards releasing the new engine later in the year. We arent quite in a position to put an exact date on it just yet.
    Thanks.

Two really simple graphics fixes I'd like to see are in-game AA options and in-game gamma correction.
    Member of Angels of the Night ~Clan/Rimor~
    Join us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast