Thread: Vista and XP: Fix Screenshots and Scripts folder locations and Prefs location.

Lightbulb Vista and XP: Fix Screenshots and Scripts folder locations and Prefs location.

Particulary on Vista this can be a pain, but also on XP and multiple user setups.

Quick fix:

Anarchy Online\Screenshots\
    Anarchy Online\Scripts\
    Anarchy Online\Prefs\

Should be moved to Documents (on Vista, on XP it is the well known My Documents)
    C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Funcom\Anarchy Online\Screenshots\
    C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Funcom\Anarchy Online\Scripts\
    C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Funcom\Anarchy Online\Prefs\ (alternatively under the appdata folder instead)

Currently if one is trying to save a screenshot, or have a script which is rewritten/updated automatically (like a now playing song, or some other 3rd party information tools),
    they will fail if AO is installed under Program Files. (no write permissions)

Currently the only solutions is to either mess with symbolic links (on Vista) but this still does not properly support multi user systems.

My advice (v18 of AO?) is the following:
    Character/user settings is saved per user (on XP and Vista)
    the screenshots and scripts folder locations are user selectable (but defaults to Documents folder) in the AO launcher.

The benefit is that AO could be reinstalled without worrying about loosing the settings, or screenshots or scripts.
    The only time a user would need elevated (admin) priviledges would be when patching the game.
    AO binary files would be protected (on Vista thanks to UAC etc) from getting it's files infected in the event of Viruses or Spyware or Malware attacking the current user account.
    AO would be more easy to setup/use on internet-game cafe's or clubs, multiple user systems (family members with separate windows users) and so on.
    Last edited by Gridfan; Apr 3rd, 2008 at 20:07:19.
    "AO is like the ugly duckling, slowly turning into a swan as time goes by."
    Lance Orbin aka Gridfan of GridStream Productions

Except that I like that I can simply copy my AO folder between computers to save having to reinstall and patch for a bazzillion years. Compartmentalized installs are old school but they are very nice to use. There is no part of AO that needs to be in the registry and damnit the less programs clutter up the windows registry the better.

Debump.

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    Except that I like that I can simply copy my AO folder between computers to save having to reinstall and patch for a bazzillion years. Compartmentalized installs are old school but they are very nice to use. There is no part of AO that needs to be in the registry and damnit the less programs clutter up the windows registry the better.

Debump.
    QFT!
    /disco

Having to run AO as administrator if installed on default location is pretty bad.

Bump.
    "Should start a combined raid/NW bot, where people get points if they help take down a clan base. Should be most effective." - Said by Waikase 14th of May 2003 in sarcasm to the appearance of the first raidbots on Rk1.

the easier solution is just to change the default install from the stupid "program files" dir. and into say... either "Games\" or "Funcom\" on the root of the drive.

i havent installed a game to its default location since windows 95.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Yeah, wtf about default location installing.

I never had problems in vista.. but then again I have not installed AO in over 3 years and thats 8 different computers: work, work lappy, home, home server, home lappy, wifes, my old computer, my new computer....

whats even greater is its easier to move my prefs around by providing a shortcut to a thumbdrive that the prefs reside on ensuring that no matter what computer I am on it works as I like it too.

Easy, no muss, no fuss. Again no to bloatware installs and unneeded registry monkey buisness. 8 computers and not one install. I wish more of my programs did that. Would sure make life simpler. There is patently NO need for the WINDOWS way of installing. There are other, more efficient means. Lazyness in coders, and some strange beliefe that their programs should "own" the system more, DRM, and other uneeded crapola. I like AO because of all my programs it and one other are free of the entanglements of "installs".

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the easier solution is just to change the default install from the stupid "program files" dir. and into say... either "Games\" or "Funcom\" on the root of the drive.

i havent installed a game to its default location since windows 95.
    Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    Yeah, wtf about default location installing.

I never had problems in vista.. but then again I have not installed AO in over 3 years and thats 8 different computers: work, work lappy, home, home server, home lappy, wifes, my old computer, my new computer....

whats even greater is its easier to move my prefs around by providing a shortcut to a thumbdrive that the prefs reside on ensuring that no matter what computer I am on it works as I like it too.

Easy, no muss, no fuss. Again no to bloatware installs and unneeded registry monkey buisness. 8 computers and not one install. I wish more of my programs did that. Would sure make life simpler. There is patently NO need for the WINDOWS way of installing. There are other, more efficient means. Lazyness in coders, and some strange beliefe that their programs should "own" the system more, DRM, and other uneeded crapola. I like AO because of all my programs it and one other are free of the entanglements of "installs".
    Agree 100%
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

I agree with those statements!

But that is no reason to diss this suggestion as it is user selectable, and there is no need to mess with the registry.
    And even the Prefs could be autodetectable. (check in AO folder, if Prefs is not there or not writable then use user default location for roaming app data/configs)
    And the Scripts and Screenshots paths are simply stored in the Prefs, some nice xml's there that can easily have those entries added.

And most importantly, proper multiple user support unlike currently when a family member could "accidentally" delete your prefs after you beat them in a duel the other day.

Quick fix is to install to a root folder on your C: and not the default. Then set compatibility to XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshai View Post
    Then set compatibility to XP.
    Eh? What for?
    /mine runs happily on Vista 64bit, in its own folder, without any permission problems, no manipulation with compatibility mode needed.
    Just install in C:\Games\Anarchy Online or whatever custom folder structure you prefer. And create links in My Documents for Scripts and Screenshots, if you desperately need it.

Debump for registry manipulations.
    Bump for altering installer to point to C:\Games\Anarchy Online.
    Kirke Issica Rafael, chief ninjal33ter of Omlety, nano uber advy.
    Lady Gniewica, nano PVP trader.
    Seppun Rumiko Sama, nano s10 crat.
    Tradycja Konwencja Technokracja, nano firstchar NT.
    Wojownicza Kruszynka Zaglady, nano mongo4life enfo.
    Nano shade of doom still pending.

Omlety, jedyna polska organizacja na RK2 po stronie Omni, rekrutują! Zapraszamy na forum.
    ...and yeah, OmniTek protects.

Red face

Storing/installing it separately may be a easy fix, but UAC is no longer protecting the game's executables and dll's and other files any more.
    If installed under Program Files then only programs that have been elevated (like a installer for example) is able to modify the game's files. This reduces the damage a virus or malware could do to a system.

And I have no idea why you people keep talking about the windows registry.
    My suggestion in the original post does not require the registry at all.
    In fact my suggestion follows the Windows XP and Vista "style guide" pretty closely as is recommended by MicroSoft. And pretty much any modern software does it this way as it allows you to uninstall/reinstall without loosing your preferences, screenshots or scripts.

The only reason I suggested putting prefs under documents as well is that it would be easier for a user to copy or backup the character prefs in case of OS reinstalls or copying AO and stuff to another system. Otherwise I'd have advised putting it under the user's roaming folder.

i know this is an old thread...but

with the new update I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. here's the rundown

I want a postable link that opens a browser for the private forums of our org. the name of the org isn't important here just the mechanics.

I made a folder according to the guide at http://anarchyonline.wikia.com/wiki/Scripts and put the script(s) i made in this folder. I then relogged. Each time i type /script test or /script test2 it says "Unable to find script (test) or (test2)".

If I type /test or /test2 it says something different.
    "No chat command or script named "test2" available."

This is the original location C:\Program Files\Funcom\Anarchy Online\Scripts

I even moved the entire game folder to my documents *am using windows xp pro* and am currently ingame as I type this. So the game works just not the scripts. the location is as follows

C:\Documents and Settings\Myusername\My Documents\Funcom\Anarchy Online\Scripts

The script files should be saved in C:\<whatever>\Anarchy Online\scripts

you don't need to relog to test a script that has be added/modified

make sure you didn't save the scripts as test.txt, otherwise you need to do /test.txt ingame to run it.

And you would probably find more help in the Knowledge Database section of the forums.
    TL 7
    RK2 - Maxisolja - 220/24 Trox Soldier | RK2 - Blitztrick - 220/25 Soli Fixer E | RK2 - Krakenz - 220/21 Trox Keep
    RK1 - Shanue - 218/30 Opi MA | RK2 - Redenf5 - 218/22 Trox Enf | RK2 - Jrollin - 214/25 Opi Shade
    TL 5
    RK2 - Memorial - 170/16 Opi Engi | RK2 - Maxisfix - 168/21 Opi Fixer E
    RK1 - Clento - 150/20 Soli Soldier | RK1 - Losodoc - 150/20 Soli Doctor
    RK2 - Loso - 150/20 Opi Advy | RK2 - Tachun - 150/13 Opi MP
    RK1 - Krakenz - 150/15 Trox Advy | RK1 - Loso - 150/13 Trox Advyoo.
    TL5 Fixer Information | GMT -08:00 West Coast Canada | Java AO Chat API | Dnet

Never had a problem with Vista. Heck, I don't understand all the Vista hate. Vista works FINE!!
    Looking Uber > Being Uber

thanks for trying anyways, i've done all that. and none of my files have .txt at the end. so i have no clue why its doing it...but anyways moving this to knowledge database we'll see what happens there ^^
    Last edited by woopsoop; May 1st, 2009 at 11:16:45.