Thread: Server-side pref's file

Server-side pref's file

Would it be (practically) possible to give us an option for a server side pref's-file storage for our toons?
    I know it would cause some extra network traffic....

Having to copy pref's files around manually between PC's if you play on different PC's can be quite a hassle.
    An option in the launcher to upload the various characters pref's file after logging off or manually would be a nice addition.

I would even welcome it as a Paid-points implementation, which might make it plausible to have FC make a dedicated server just for this purpose, in order to not strain the game and chat servers.

Other/better ideas?
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

I know it´s a royal pain in the lower back to keep multiple accounts on multiple PCs synced, but seeing how large prefs can grow, I´d be worried about the already underpowered server´s performance.
    They say, the early bird catches the worm.
    However, the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Adacta View Post
    I know it´s a royal pain in the lower back to keep multiple accounts on multiple PCs synced, but seeing how large prefs can grow, I´d be worried about the already underpowered server´s performance.
    Which is why I suggested it could be a "premium" service for paid points recognizing that very aspect of it.
    It's not like it influences game balance or anything in that respect, but it sure would be a nice service to have available... Also as a means of non-local backup of those preferences.

and I don't really think the server is underpowered to start with... My personal theory is that there are other issues instead.... *cough* Savvis *cough* TheInternetItself *cough*

Well, I do really like the idea, yeah, and re-thinking it today, making it an option to store/load em on logging on/off on a seperate server would most likely make my
    worries void.
    They say, the early bird catches the worm.
    However, the second mouse gets the cheese.

NO!

There are poor, poor GMs out there who seem to think the way to resolve problems is to delete your Preferences folder when it has nothing to do with the problem. The last thing we need to do is put our files on their servers so they can delete them, tell us to relog, and find out we need to re-build all of GUIs.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    NO!

There are poor, poor GMs out there who seem to think the way to resolve problems is to delete your Preferences folder when it has nothing to do with the problem. The last thing we need to do is put our files on their servers so they can delete them, tell us to relog, and find out we need to re-build all of GUIs.
    As I stated I would want it so you can choose to do it manually or automatically, based on your personal preference.

I really think your fear is a bit over the edge... but I can only agree with you that such a scenario would be 100% unacceptable.

I (and a few other I've spoken to) would very much like to see something like this.
    Atleast hotbars and GUI prefs would be very welcome in my book.
    R.I.P Mafia1337. You were to young to be knocking on Heavens door.

Zolic
    Infizicator
    WillItSmash

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Would it be (practically) possible to give us an option for a server side pref's-file storage for our toons?
    I know it would cause some extra network traffic....

Having to copy pref's files around manually between PC's if you play on different PC's can be quite a hassle.
    An option in the launcher to upload the various characters pref's file after logging off or manually would be a nice addition.

I would even welcome it as a Paid-points implementation, which might make it plausible to have FC make a dedicated server just for this purpose, in order to not strain the game and chat servers.

Other/better ideas?
    I really feel i need to answer/bump this. Since the technical part is pretty simple.

All the pref files are in xml format, which is easy to translate in to SQL for database server. (i do this types of codes every day)

This will not effect server traffic at all, since this files only need to load/save when you login / logout. The server just need populate the xml files. (this is actually basic Clint/mmorpg stuff).

Matter of fact i am planning to making a small client that will handle all this things + some other useful Ao tools. Just waiting for the new engine to see how this things goes. I be happy to share that with the community.
    Last edited by ByLogic; Apr 26th, 2015 at 13:17:26.

I do not like the idea because my preferences for 2 computers are totally different.
    The one I use at home has a huge monitor and excellent performance so I use highest details as well as lots of hotbars.
    The other comp I sometimes use is crappy laptop with small screen therefore I do not even try to play all my characters but only the easiest ones and/or use it mostly for rolling/blitzing items and refilling GMI / trading / tradeskilling.

One common set of preferences would be a bad idea for me.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Quote Originally Posted by Awikun View Post
    I do not like the idea because my preferences for 2 computers are totally different.
    The one I use at home has a huge monitor and excellent performance so I use highest details as well as lots of hotbars.
    The other comp I sometimes use is crappy laptop with small screen therefore I do not even try to play all my characters but only the easiest ones and/or use it mostly for rolling/blitzing items and refilling GMI / trading / tradeskilling.

One common set of preferences would be a bad idea for me.
    Do you want to load your saved preference? .

<List>. Load Pref1(DateTime). Load Pref2(DateTime). etc.

Rename Pref1 = "Home computer".
    Rename Rref2 = "Office computer"
    <Save>

GUI preference and hardware Pref are not even on the same file. Easy to separate that in to a option.
    Last edited by ByLogic; Apr 26th, 2015 at 13:27:39.

this sounds more like something someone can do as a 3rd party tool rather than something to add to ao itself.

Well AO needs an /exportui and /importui command for setting up alts. The first saving the UI layout locally and the second importing it from the local appdata. It wouldn't save the contents of hotbars, or non-standard chat channels subscribed to windows - basically anything that is unique and specific to that character - but otherwise it'd make setting up alts a lot less faff than either manually tracking down and copypasting form charID folders, or just sitting and redoing the UI.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Bump for server-side prefs, but with possibility to configure this one as setting.
    Let it be easy for now - just "enable/disable" server-side prefs option.
    Who have diff prefs on diff PCs can still have that, but the ones who want to sync prefs will enable this setting and enjoy.
    Besides, it won't harm server hardware anyhow, because prefs XML file is very small and server-client exchange on login will take milliseconds.
    G.F.B.D.
    --------------------------------------------
    Artyomis has played 800 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds
    WTB subscription price lowered for eastern europe countries due to current USD/EUR-to-local-currency rates.

After the 18.7 patch, I had to re-install AO. First thing i thought as i was uninstalling and deleting FC folders was, "(lotta swear words) I gotta redo all my ******* prefs". to my amazement, when i logged on was all my prefs where the same. absolutely

nothing changed...

I have started working on a tool Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolde r.UserProfile)+@"\AppData\Local\Funcom\Anarchy Online\";

I make a new thread and a download location ones its done + source code.

I made it so you can even copy your Live prefs to testserver .