Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do you think AO will be revived when the new graphics engine comes?

Quote Originally Posted by Difs View Post
    long answer: definetly no
    haha qft.

If the new engine comes out, the veterans will be disappoint and flames it, the newbies will get bored. Fanboys will enjoy it, but eventually FC will shuts down AO.
    . . . everything in creation is impermanenT

New engine = some fancy shadows, grass, better lightning....

THAT IS IT.... its the same old looking, unbalaced and forgotten game.

So no, the new engine will not revive the game. This game needs new content, not more grass for us to see it grow.

Don´t fool yourself by thinking they will be introducing attractor points, new character models, advanced physics or anything other than shadows, lightning and.... grass.....

The new graphic engine has come out guys! Graphic engine for the forum

I don't think the engine ever makes it out of beta because I do not expect FC to provide the resources required to remedy the performance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by haxi View Post
    I don't think the engine ever makes it out of beta because I do not expect FC to provide the resources required to remedy the performance issues.
    That's a very valid concern to my mind also
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

From a management point of view they would be better off focusing on this engine rather than the balancing patch. From how its been explained it would mean that they could throw any developer in without a ton of training since they are all familiar with the same toolset. Personally I hate working with old tech all the time. I would of done this years ago just for the sake of my sanity and making it easy to deal with. I'm not saying its easy or so cut and dry but they have postponed this for too long and it seems to have caused more headaches than just focusing on it and getting it done.

I dont mind the graphics in this game but for the sake of longevity and less headaches.. I vote to focus on this engine upgrade. I'll take it buggy as long as you get it in and tweak it as time goes on.

Plus they need the engine to get it working with Steam, which could possibly be the most effective means of attracting players.
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

There's little point in attracting new players until they do something about keeping them. This means radical changes to the new player experience, how credits and gear are earned, and the entire leveling process.

For every 20 people who start maybe 1 will stick with it. And Steam is the best way to get many people to start. Has always been that way, will always be that way (with AO and most MMOs). If you expect FC to modernize the entire game to keep new people, that's never ever going to happen in our lifetimes.
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Louderer789 View Post
    For every 20 people who start maybe 1 will stick with it.
    I think it's probably more like 1 out of 100, but yeah.

And Steam is the best way to get many people to start.
    Today's gamers are interested only in chasing the shiny new thing. AO is going to be savaged if it ends up on Steam, especially if there's any hint that the game has an 'updated graphics engine'. That aside, it just may bring in a few new people.

Unfortunately, unless FC does something to fix the issues that have caused this game to struggle to keep players for the past decade, none of them are going to stay. You can't keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Simply putting the game on Steam will change nothing. Truth is, AO has never had a problem getting new players. Noob island is almost always full of brand new people. It's getting them to stick around that has been the problem. The only way to fix this is to change what's broken.

If you expect FC to modernize the entire game to keep new people, that's never ever going to happen in our lifetimes.
    I actually don't expect FC to -do- anything with AO other than to continue collecting money and investing it in whatever new game they're trying to get off the ground, while expecting us to continue paying in the hopes that -nearly decade old- promises will eventually be fulfilled.

Even with the new shinies, things will be pretty much the same. Compared with the "busy" environments of any MMO launched after 2003, the streets will still look just as barren. Better graphics for characters and mobs will be the main hilight.

Frankly, I'd much rather have the rebalance or skill updates and such come first. The gameplay (and community) is what would keep anyone coming back to a MMO - if the engine is out and there is nothing new, it will not attract either old or new players. The New Player Experience will just fall flat once people complete it *once* and get dumped into the middle of the current game with its runaway economy and lack of leveling paths. The endgame not significantly changing is going to be the final nail in the coffin. Then you have the mess of skills and perks and AI perks and research and raid implants and items etc... which has gotten to the point of being able to cast almost every nano isn't even an accomplishment.

I'm also afraid that after spending so long developing a DX9 engine, if DX12 comes out, the DX9 will be in the same place the DX7 is now (being phased out).
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

I would go so far as to say that they really should have made AO2.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

There is 3 things that is infinite 1 human stupidity, 2 the universe, 3 the release date for new engine

Lets just throw out R.I.P. ahead of time

Without even counting the new engine, which looks nice. The game changes I think to professions will breathe new life to AO. Deflect pretty much trumps AS/Sneak/Full auto weapon superiority and no more endless healing.

However more team diversity from ma/mp heal ability increases.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    Without even counting the new engine, which looks nice. The game changes I think to professions will breathe new life to AO. Deflect pretty much trumps AS/Sneak/Full auto weapon superiority and no more endless healing. However more team diversity from ma/mp heal ability increases.
    It's just too hard for me to see the bigger changes possible by looking at these small ones.
    220/30/70 OMNI SOLDIER - Tyler "Tyfow" Fowler SMG/PDKP -First!
    220/22/64 OMNI BUREAUCRAT - Iliek "Vaporeon" Mudkipz

Quote Originally Posted by Tyfowler View Post
    It's just too hard for me to see the bigger changes possible by looking at these small ones.
    You should take a look at the post I put in Soldier forum to get better idea
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

I'll hop on it right now
    220/30/70 OMNI SOLDIER - Tyler "Tyfow" Fowler SMG/PDKP -First!
    220/22/64 OMNI BUREAUCRAT - Iliek "Vaporeon" Mudkipz

I think the new engine will revive AO about as much as running electricity through a corpse would revive it. Sure the limbs will spasm for a bit but thats not life
    Last edited by Neista; Oct 4th, 2014 at 09:20:00.
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast