Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Do you think AO will be revived when the new graphics engine comes?

In my opinion, if the new graphics engine is ever done.......they should trash the old patching system (highly unlikely) or make it more intuitive and user friendly. Anyone who has played AO for a long time knows what I'm talking about. The patching system is a relic at best, and woefully unpredictable; sometimes it works, sometimes it screws up the whole AO installation and you have to delete and reinstall, sometimes you have to roll back the patch and manually change certain files lol, yeah we remember, but I think that would be a way to NOT piss people off. It is really annoying.
    Tergx 220 Atrox Trader | 220 Soli doc | 220 Enf & other toons
    Synergy Factor org ~ APPLY HERE

When readin replies in AO forums, just remember ........ there is no cure for stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Syyceria View Post
    Come on, it took me just 5 minutes to kill a level 178 MA with health-drains and trader pets...our toolset does work

Well in theory IF the engine ever comes it would revive AO, for about 3 months. Then people would realize that stale content, countless bugs, severe profession imbalances and pretty much everything else that's not graphics related were what made them quit in the first place and everything would quickly go back to the way it was.

I'm gonna go with this engine never materializes on the live servers and if it somehow does, it will be disastrous. Just a hunch though. It has simply taken too long at this point for me to have any hope for it.

Quote Originally Posted by haxi View Post
    I'm gonna go with this engine never materializes on the live servers and if it somehow does, it will be disastrous. Just a hunch though. It has simply taken too long at this point for me to have any hope for it.
    I think it's mostly how underwhelming it will be. No matter how good the engine is, the old assets and especially the character models will stick out like an eyesore. I think with the departure of Macrosun FC finally has a good excuse to throw in the towel on it and start to focus on things that will keep the game going as long as possible. A truly successful new engine might have paved the way for a new expansion but I doubt that is in the works anymore.
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

Despite promising early reports, it seems they've managed to stall for another 12 months. Quite impressive. :O
    *BAM*

Quote Originally Posted by Bambam View Post
    Despite promising early reports, it seems they've managed to stall for another 12 months. Quite impressive. :O
    How did they do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bambam View Post
    Damn, you are right, this year has gone by quickly! I guess that's what the AO developers say every year also.

In all seriousness when they talked about beta testing and all that a year ago I thought they were actually going to release it.

The new engine is cursed, every previous GD who have worked with the new engine have either quit, or sacked.
    Take a look at current AO, it is a soup of bug that is in my eyes at alpha version, and FC ported the whole thing into new engine. I dont know what people thinking but in my mind see a whole mess.

I dont think FC have the right competency and resources to release the new engine, and makes it successful.
    . . . everything in creation is impermanenT

Quote Originally Posted by SaloSalo View Post
    In all seriousness when they talked about beta testing and all that a year ago I thought they were actually going to release it.
    Well the beta server is up and running with the changes, they even put them on testserver for all to see. I don't think it's ready because some of the changes are not going to make it to Live, so imo it's a balance issue not engine issue. Some of the new nano changes are major and need to be balanced versus some perks also. Perks rebalances are not ready.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

This game is at stage four cancer. It's gonna take a miracle.

Yearly check in of AO forums to see if there is still people playing! Check
    Masta still around, check
    New Engine released, check
    New game director, check
    Give friendly advice: Try borderland the pre-sequel, check
    Have fun guys cyas next year,
    Checkout, check
    Freshman $oulez 220/25 atrox bureaucrat
    Freshman $oule$oldier 220/29 nanomage NT - Stuff (outdated)
    Freshman Duratrox 220/20 Kung fu master

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678