Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: AO Video Card Detection.

Built new PC, same gfx card, same windows version - same disc even. Lost the named option, FPS actually went up, and the latest nVidia driver version once again allows FSAA/aniso to work in AO. And on a side note, the weird shrapnel effect from come shotguns seems to have re-appeared. First time I've seen it in years. Yay!
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

AO recognizes my card and gives me multiple options between HAL and T&L (btw I think T&L is no longer supported on today's video cards?) so no matter, I get into the game and the graphics look like they're from 1992, low resolution, laggy as anything, and completely ridiculous.

IOW the game doesn't seem to be actually using my video card.

And Funcom wants me to come back to this? I use Windows 7 32-bit and a Nvidia GTX 285 1GB.

Wasted afternoon so far, thanks.

ill give this a bump.

nvidia card on my laptop (****ty geforce go 6150) gets all the options but since I got the 30 days for free I thought id better install ao on my normal pc, which has better cpu, memory and a better graphic card.
    a years ago before I had my laptop, AO and the graphiccard ran like a charm, but now... only those 3 options and it nolonger reconnaises my geforce 7600 anymore :S
    (already read that the 7 series is a problem child)

every other game easily spots my vidcard except ao...

if FC wants me to come back on paid account they better start fixing their client first.
    Im not gonna pay for grainy graphics and unreadable text

Apparently the new engine is in the final stages before beta testing can begin, so (hopefully) we don't have a long time to wait. Sorry I don't have any useful advice for you last two guys, but everything I can think of is already covered in this thread :/

Not sure if its already been covered since i didnt read thread but wanted to add some info.

I had this problem long time ago on an old rig of mine. Basically AO would run but only in ~14 fps, with hardware well over the requirements.

First time i had the issue it was sorted with me updating the mboard drivers from manufacturer website.

Second time the problem arouse it didnt work (different motherboard), so i basically replaced the motherboard and it worked afterwards.

To me the issue seemed to be the communication between mboard and gfxcard, im no hardware guy so i cant tell what the reason was etc.

Hope this sorted it for some of u guys out there.

/ Cuteypie

what difference does it make if AO recognices your gfx-card when there is no fps-gaining?
    whats the point actually
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Otinsainpas View Post
    what difference does it make if AO recognices your gfx-card when there is no fps-gaining?
    whats the point actually
    For some people it makes all the difference in the world. I saw a huge gain using the named option, as have several others.

Hi Jorri o/

Just for your delectation, I thought I'd mention my old PC:

AMD 3500+, Abit Rocket Boy mobo (yeah rly), 2gig of DDR 3300 ram (can't remember which, too long ago), 80gb eide HD (very old, very slow). XFX 7900gs 256mb agp (damn good card, had Crysis working on this PC :O), XP Pro 32 freelance edition (make ur own assumptions... arrived with drive... hehe), then I got nervous and bought XP Home 32 =D

The 7900gs posted ok on AO using XP Home but didn't under naughty Pro (not surprising rly coz was SP1 and i was too chicken poo to try updating it). AO performance on this machine was pretty good when card was recognised (60-80fps most anywhere), but using XP Pro and Primary Display T&L I was getting about 8 - 12fps worst case. Incidentally, a good place to test your FPS is outside Newland West Gate facing Phasefront Display Platforms out on the lake. Distant player cities and all that whirling advertising can cripple a poorly setup grfx card lol.
    A Salute to absent friends - R.I.P HAWG 07

I'm bored...

In my "professionally unprofessional" advice... it looks like anarchy packs it's own set of "universal drivers" and tries to directly interface with the graphics card. In truth, you shouldn't be selecting anything further than "DirectX, OpenGL, and Software Emulation." "A typical game" talks to DirectX which then talks to the card... which talks to DirectX which then talks to the game... So why does AO want to know what card you're using?

Now all this stuff about speed increases comes off as over exaggerated rumours.

AO is designed to be a CPU intensive game. The calculations done by the CPU aren't going to magically be done by the GPU simply because the game recognizes your GPU... The game has to be programmed to use the GPU in that manner (in other words, simply because your GPU CAN do the calculations does NOT mean that it WILL do them).

Or said a million other ways.

And seriously now... there is no avoiding the fact that Anarchy uses Direct X which in turn uses your GPU... (But then again, anarchy shouldn't be calling the GPU directly in the first place)... which just leaves us at *i am bored*.

BTW.... game doesn't work

Anarchy doesn't use DirectX for any of the graphics, only for the audio afaicr.

Quote Originally Posted by merranvo View Post
    Now all this stuff about speed increases comes off as over exaggerated rumours.
    On my current system I still see approximately 20fps difference between named and generic cards. And I have it on very good authority that AO does use the gfx card for drawing polygons, altho not in the actual rendering process.

DX is not used for audio, but it is used for mouse input and possibly mouse cursor rendering.

Ok, i'm hoping i can help out here

As i mentioned in this thread: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=583248 I changed my video card from a 7800 GTX to a 260 GTX the other day. After that i could no longer get AA to work. It is now working after more driver installations and messing around than i dare to mention. I'm on WinXP SP3.

First of all i downgraded my drivers from the latest ones to some almost 2 years old. http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_180.48_whql.html <--- those ones.

Then i did what has already been suggested many times, adding my client.exe in the nvidia control panel in the manage 3D section. I had done this countless times with other drivers, but what ever settings i tried never made the slightest bit of difference.

This time (as per the dozen or so previous attempts) i didnt expect any change, so just to try and see if customizing my 3D settings was doing anything at all i changed pretty much every setting I changed them to:

AF 16x.
    Anti - Gamma Correction on.
    Anti mode Override app settling
    Anti setting 16X
    Anti trans Supersampling
    Conform Text clamp Use OpenGL Spec
    Force mipmaps trilinear
    Max pre-rendered frames 5
    Texture filtering Clamp
    Texture filt quality High Quality
    Threaded Opti On
    Triple Buffereing On
    Vertical Sync On

Any settings i havent mentioned i didnt touch.
    I then loaded client.exe and set my settings to:

Primary Display Driver - Drirect3D HAL
    Resolution 1680x1050x32
    Run in window NOT selected
    Texture Quality High
    32 BPP (my windows desktop resoltion is also set to 32 bit

I then loaded AO - and nothing had changed. Heres the crafty bit
    I minimised AO to desktop (windows key and D) and then maximised it and BOOM! Everything working! No jagged edges, all nice and smooth and running super sweet

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it has worked for me. I tried minimising and maximising on all of the other drivers i installed and it didnt work, but i always had to do this with my 7800GTX to get the settings to kick in. Also, the settings listed above i havent touched at all since (partially because i darent!) but again, it isnt a definitive way to set it up, just the way i know has worked for me. I hope it does for you to!

Any questions feel free to post here, but i think the key to getting it to work was using the old drivers. Good luck

Syph
    Sypheres - Level 220 / 28 Doctor
    Syphertech - Level 220 / 16 Techno Arch-Wizard (apparently)
    Provox - Level 220 / 17 Soldier
    Dolarhyde - Level 220 / 17 Agent
    Vjeshtitza - Level 220 / 20 Shade

Server 1st!! First 220 Opifex Female Clan Doctor RK1/RK2!

Boredom Redux.

Still though, "named" drivers and "universal" drivers aren't going to cause the massive fps increase that people keep yapping about. (Well, yes and no, but the issue is the difference people claim occurs is way too small to be anything other than... spam)

The game obviously uses directx in the actual rendering (using it only for the mouse or sound? seriously? Besides, AO is very very far from DOOMesque graphics (full software rendering)) but "various problems" are known to occur with the mouse and sound hence... w/e.

Point is, most of the problems occur due to the limitations of DX7 (and, of course, legacy support).
    There is one other problem, and that is the amount of post rendering / calculations that AO does... due to limitations with DX7 of course... which asks the question.

What if people used a proxy dll to intercept all of that annoying crap and rerouted it to the DX9 Interface? (Let's just ignore how very wrong that is XD)

I should note, that the old drivers are likely what helped you Sypher... I should also note that you'd be better off with XP SP2 but Cest la vi. Problem, of course, is finding old drivers when the company that makes the drivers for your bloody chipset are incompetent fools who have to package them all together (thus creating problems trying to get the RIGHT drivers).

Very Very interesting to note that Minimizing and Restoring "did something"... so now I have purdy colours on screen.

I find it rather funny... that I can run all these old games... and several "newly old" games XD... but Anarchy Online runs around making a fuss over drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by merranvo View Post
    The game obviously uses directx in the actual rendering (using it only for the mouse or sound? seriously? Besides, AO is very very far from DOOMesque graphics (full software rendering)) but "various problems" are known to occur with the mouse and sound hence... w/e.

Point is, most of the problems occur due to the limitations of DX7 (and, of course, legacy support).
    There is one other problem, and that is the amount of post rendering / calculations that AO does... due to limitations with DX7 of course... which asks the question.

What if people used a proxy dll to intercept all of that annoying crap and rerouted it to the DX9 Interface? (Let's just ignore how very wrong that is XD)
    even when computer uses graphics card for actual screen drawing, it still doesnt mean AO is directx of any kind nor hardware accelerated.
    If vertex calculations are done with CPU then they are done with CPU.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Irrelevancy still not achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by Otinsainpas View Post
    even when computer uses graphics card for actual screen drawing, it still doesnt mean AO is directx of any kind nor hardware accelerated.
    If vertex calculations are done with CPU then they are done with CPU.
    Even if you are absolutely right the signal is not magically jumping from the CPU to the display...
    it go true the GPU

If i dont use the display settings recognized by the game i get low fps on a high end pc with a high end GPU

So there can be problems with some cards getting good smooth running if it is not recognized by the game and settings is right for your GPU

Why i have no idee

Yes, this is a necro. And I'll take the infraction.

But in the interests of the anniversary, I really want to celebrate the fact that finally, 7 years on, I can declare this thread obsolete.

\/\/00T!

Jorricane if you foudna cure i want answers. this thread is still relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soju View Post
    #BAN_SOJU

Quote Originally Posted by Blazeit420 View Post
    Yes please, I'm experiencing the same problems for a while now already and I'm using a 1060

I just don't get how it won't detect the gpu

Quote Originally Posted by Blazeit420 View Post
    Totally - GT 1080 on a i7, can only run 7 clients before I'm at 100% on CPU usage.

Meanwhile, the Video Card does not break a sweat.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567