Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AO Video Card Detection.

Ah true my bad, allways open it on either notepad or visual studio studio :X

Ill look into trying more VGA cards and see if i can find one that doesn't detect the card :S
    Pintoadvy 220/21 Vanguard E
    Dongjr2 220/21/70 Engineer E

Proud Member of Tiger Claw

We are currently Recruiting!

When I get back from work today I'll start swapping cards again to get some info/prefs.xml configurations that may help. I didn't think to get that information to last time mainly b/c I was looking in that direction XD
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Heres an interesting walkthrough...

I found this interesting when fiddling through the patches from a older AO installation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33991779@N06/3162619625/
    17.1.0 everythings great=)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33991779@N06/3162619673/
    17.3.0 yey! i can see my card now still!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33991779@N06/3163450928/
    17.5.0 oops...wth.....um...are you kidding me... lol

Photos have descriptions with further infos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33991779@N06/3162728333/
    This one happend three times out of the 18 patches i did from 17.1 to 17.10

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33991779@N06/3162751493/
    ..um...never seen this before in all my patchings from 2002 lol

Back....Well, 18 hours of this, combing through file after file, port after port, achive after achive and then the patcher fiddling and reinstalling of 3 different client ages and versions im due for some rests, will continue again later and this time directly with DirectX. no pun intended.
    Last edited by montalvo99; Jan 3rd, 2009 at 17:15:35.
    good? bad? nahh im the girl with the gun.

Well if we want any hope of blue-named attention we are going to have to keep this thread going and keep posting meaningful and insightful ideas on how to fix this before we can get any official attention on it.
    That includes petitioning.

So keep it up, keep trying things and sooner or later we will fix it ourselves or someone official will take a look at this thread and the right person in the Q&A department will stop by to explain how to trick AO into seeing my video card. Why does it detect it in Vista but not XP? Why is it using only 50 MB of video memory not all 512? I know when I change resolutions it's still only using a tiny amount of available memory and my Video card is running about as hot as it does when I'm surfing the net.
    "You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty."
    - Sacha Guitry

Small Update:

I finally managed to get a pc with this problem, its a intel based gma945.

now i tried it on a similar setup and the card got detected properly, what i found was difrences in ddraw.dll versions, despite the fact iv installed the sdk and the 2008 nov redist package of directx, ddraw on the faulty machine is still a 2004 version, while the working one has a 2008 version.

Ill try and figure out where did the new dll come from and if it will sort anithing or not.

Still working on swapping cards and getting results posted, although I did dig up some unofficial info on what causes lower performance when not using named selection in the launcher.

Also, from an unofficial source, I hear that ddraw.dll may be a good place to be looking.

So i have meddled with DX and im preety sure the problems might come from there.

I was doing inventory at work all day ( found some breaks to do some tests) but ill be back at it monday.

The ddraw.dll file on the non-working gma945 is an old 2004 file (original sp2 file) but since DX is a bitch to update/remove i didn't manage to find a way to update it.

Il do s research over my sunday/monday weekend and i'll keep you posted on what comes up.

Tuesday ill install a new windows on a seperate hdd and do some testing for debug purposes (make sure ddraw.dll is actually the culprit by installing a sp3 windows with all the patches via Windows Deployment.

Still the fact that Vista doesn't suffer from this (DX 10 base files) is making me more and more convinced DX9 is the problem.

-Pinto

already did

I had just clean wiped my HDD and got a fresh DX, windows and updated to SP 3 with all the files and its still an issue. so far still a no go for me
    good? bad? nahh im the girl with the gun.

I've been actually trying things out a few months before anyone even started posting this whole idea, but I dropped it due to lack of any kind of success...
    Now, that I just bought a new GFX card (old one died) & after going through this again... I found a way to "force" the game "see" the card, here's how:

Altering the registry may seriously harm your system (or simply kill it), if you don't know what you're doing - don't do it !

Start -> Run -> Regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Video

Now you'll see that there will be 4 GUIDs under the Video - expand all of them.
    In each of those there's a key (folder icon) that's named "0000" - click it and look on the right side.
    If there's a value named "MirrorDriver" and it's equal to 1 - make it 0 (on all 4 GUIDs), if there isn't such a value don't add it.

Reboot, start the launcher (accept), setting -> change, choose your GFX card & play.

While this made AO "see" the card, it still won't give me to use AA nor AF with it @32 bit (using the GFX card's drivers).
    I'm not sure how much better AO will run for those who try this out, but this is a step closer to fixing that damn broken GFX card detection (hope we figure it out before the new engine comes... unless it's tomorrow ).
    zDD - a Damage/HEALS/Tanks/XP parser
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlain View Post
    yea...the best way to fix messed up game mechanics is by giving up item slots for new 'bug fix items'...like I said before, next we'll get the Staff of Pet Pathing and perhaps an Anti-LD Ring and how about some pants that make it so I don't get forced to autoface my opponent after casting a nano when I'm trying to run away...Combined Developer's Wear of Autoface Resistance, and maybe some new symbs with broken quest resistance, oh, and how could I forget the upgrade to the scuba gear that adds Rubberbanding Resistance...

Well that trick got my gfx card showing under settings

Trying that... first I exported the good old registry, then I change the setting (Was only present under two of the areas you said, it's not in my first or last)

Going to restart and see if I get my video card detected or my Restore CD out.
    - Sacha Guitry

Nice to see the gfx card in settings, but no improvement in framerate and
    got some faulty graphics diplaying on the start menu in XP. Sooo..I changed
    it back.
    Great work tho and I'm really looking forward to be playing AO at better Fps
    someday, so keep it up! hehe

Verified it does work, AO now detects my Video card, but as above, No Frame rate increase.
    Spent twenty minutes running around reviewed my CPU and GPU usage logs.

Average CPU usage running from Rome to Jobe, then fighting mobs in the Shadowlands. 65%, On Primary CUP, 10% second core.

Average memory usage hovered at around 712megs.

GPU usage? Almost non-existant, less than 8%.
    So yeah, Anarchy? Do you mind if you used my video card?
    - Sacha Guitry

I just tried that fix on a detecting card, it didn't change what I saw in the detection menu, nor did it effect my performance, what I expected since it was already working.

Looking at ddraw.dll on nonfunctioning systems its looking like universally they are using old versions, or at least older than the one on my functional system at the moment.

It looks like AO may be smart enough not to show the card if the ddraw version is old, so forcing detection via the registry is probably still forcing AO to "primary driver" which, (I hear this unnoficially) is most likely using some kind of "legacy" software mode via the system drivers.

So I'm guessing that perhaps a combination of updating the .dll and altering the registry may be the close to the solution to this. Trying some testing right now, will post when I have more details.

Edit: One of the detecting systems is using the 2004 ddraw.dll version, so that is probably not the whole issue. Next is to try swapping the same card into a non-detecting system and see if its some part of the driver/registry settings that differs.
    Last edited by jorricane; Jan 6th, 2009 at 07:36:32.

Just read through this very interesting thread and looked a bit around...

Tried this?

Errors with ddraw.dll

Ddraw.dll is dll file associated with Microsoft DirectX Direct Draw and if corrupted or the incorrect version in comparison with the DirectX version existing on your hard disk drive, you can receive errors with this file when attempting to run games or other software.

To resolve this issue it is recommended that you download the latest version of DirectX from Microsoft's web site.

If you have downloaded the latest version of DirectX and you are still encountering issues with DirectX, we recommend that you follow the below steps.

- Click Start / Find / click Find File or Folders
    - In the Name box, search for ddraw.dll and click Find Now
    - You should find at least one file located in the C:\Windows\SYSTEM directory.
    - right-click and choose properties on the ddraw.dll file.
    - Click the Version tab.
    - Within version, verify that the file version matches the version of your DirectX.
    - If you do not have a matching version, it is recommended that you delete this file and again attempt to reinstall the latest version of DirectX.
    Source: http://www.computerhope.com/directx.htm

EDIT:
    Are there any differences in what Windows installer on the PC's? (I know the article discusses NT)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327250

Tried setting gfx card to "Standard Display Adapter (VGA)", then re-installing DX, then reinstalling gfx card...?
    This has fixed some of the weirdest game issues I've had... Not sure why, just happy that it worked at times.
    Last edited by Mekh; Jan 6th, 2009 at 10:53:49.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Ok my Gfx Card just randomly disapeared from my list today lol

Note:

Ok were getting ao to detect our gfx cards right?

But there are no framerate improvements.. Although We are forcing ao to notice our cards are there, Ao isnt actually taking advantage of them.

Ao picked up my laptops card right away and my laptop isnt as powerful as this pc but i get better fps cuz it IS actually taking advantage of the gfx card.

Playing Aion
    Mannyyy 60 Ranger - Tiamat Asmo

220/22 Opifex Fixer Retired Mannyfixer

And the rest of the Manny toons.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Shadow Mercs
    ShadowMercs! Tl5's
    Signature last updated 2012...
    ----------------------------------------------

My compy specs are:
    • AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2
    • DFi Infinity NF4 Ultra mobo
    • Gainward 6600GT (PCI-E) video board
    • Using 169.21 Forceware for WinXp 32bit.
    • OS is Windows XP Professional, SP2 (more or less updated).
      vDDraw is the old 2004 one, version 5.3.2600.2180 (this hasn't changed even after installing nov2008 redist).

Before i add anything else, AO only reports the "normal" display devices: Primary Display Driver - RGB Emulation, Primary Display Driver - Direct3D HAL and Primary Display Driver - Direct3D T&L HAL. Had same behaviour with the 9.0c that came with the Windows install, as well as with the nov2008 redist.

What i did try:
    • Obtaining the 6600GT's GUID, and manually editing the prefs.xml. No effect.
      Removing the two DisplayDeviceGUID lines, forcing AO to redetect them. No effect.
    • Editing the registry and setting the MirrorDriver to 0, restarting then logging into AO. Same effect as reported, video board is listed now, but no increase in framerate.
    • Editing the registry back to orginal values, leaving the prefs.xml with the GUID AO detected previosly. After reboot, when trying to log, AO reported that the display device is not supported and it will use the default one (or simmilar, didn't note it down). What's interesting are the GUIDs AO found (with registry edited)
      • f5049e78-4861-11d2-a407-00a0c90629a8 - was there before i started thinkering, probably the GUID of Primary Display Driver - Direct3D
      • 67685559-3106-11d0-b971-00aa00342f9f - same as some of the GUIDs previously listed here.
      • 0x84e63de0-46aa-11cf-816f0000c02002x156e - this was reported by the DirectX Control Panel, also same as some of the GUIDs previously listed here.

What i didn't try
    • Installing an older version of nVidia drivers. Couldn't find the CD that came with the board.

I think that the GUIDs AO is putting in the prefs folder are the same on alot of PCs, at least by what we're seeing, so I'm not sure thats the thing we need to be looking at now.

I'm now going thru the registry entries on all pcs available to see what the have in common for the working/non-working ones.

Edit: Unfortunately, the detecting cards are so far apart in driver dates (using the lastest, but several are using legacy drivers) that theres a slew of differences in the registry entries. Trying to sort out the possible differences right now, leaving for work soon will update sometime this evening.

edit again:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannystk View Post
    Ok my Gfx Card just randomly disapeared from my list today lol

Note:

Ok were getting ao to detect our gfx cards right?

But there are no framerate improvements.. Although We are forcing ao to notice our cards are there, Ao isnt actually taking advantage of them.

Ao picked up my laptops card right away and my laptop isnt as powerful as this pc but i get better fps cuz it IS actually taking advantage of the gfx card.
    Did you happen to save dxdiag output or any registry setting from when it was working? Those may be invaluable

one more edit:

I have, again unofficially, heard that AO uses the video card for drawing polygons, but not for actual rendering (a technical distinction, but from what I heard, an important one). This would indicate that AA/AF and other post processing effects would be equally functional/non-functional on systems whether detecting or not detecting the card. However we know this is not the case. I have always gotten AA/AF to work in AO even when non-detecting but it seems alot of people have not. So we may be looking at more than one issue with the rendering system. Just thought I'd put that in fyi. We have alot of data in this thread, we just need an uber techie to correlate it and say what we're missing
    Last edited by jorricane; Jan 6th, 2009 at 20:25:24.

Can only see;

Primary Display Driver - RGB Emulation
    Primary Display Driver - Direct3D HAL
    Primary Display Driver - Direct3D T&L HAL

with an 8800 GTX (XFX)

Quote Originally Posted by Solssss View Post
    Can only see;

Primary Display Driver - RGB Emulation
    Primary Display Driver - Direct3D HAL
    Primary Display Driver - Direct3D T&L HAL

with an 8800 GTX (XFX)
    More info would be great -

GUID as shown in prefs file
    GUID as shown in dxdiag output
    nVidia Driver version
    if you're comfortable with it, GUIDs shown in registry
    ddraw.dll version

Thanks!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast