Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - May 22nd, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    With the delays due to difficulties associated with optimization of Ogre to work well with current AO and the estimated timelines for a full implementation of the Conan engine (Dreamworld Engine/Cheetah) being nearly identical we were faced with a difficult decision.

We chose to go with the Dreamworld Engine.

With time estimates being roughly the same..the more fully supported/featured engine was the obvious choice. The fact that Dreamworld is being used in both Conan and our other "Secret World" project means that it will receive the future love and care it needs as AO grows older and the AO world continues to grow. This future consideration was impossible to ignore.
    Read the above again slowly.. maybe it will sink in this time

PS: Based on your post I was assuming the same about you and treated you as such.. funny thing that eh?

PPS: AO kiddies, WoW kiddies, GW kiddies, TR kiddies, random asian mmo kiddies.. they are all the same in every game.. you will find good people, idiots, asshats, old, young, and everything in between.. if you believe anything different I suggest you at least "visit" another game once in your life to open your eyes to reality..

As a matter of fact if you scaled AOs active subscriber base's numbers to be equal with WoW I bet you would find an almost identical number of each age group playing both games. The only reason you find less "kiddies" in AO is simply because there are less subscribers.. don't be dense..
    Last edited by Aethyrguard; May 21st, 2009 at 13:13:59.

We chose to go with the Dreamworld Engine.

With time estimates being roughly the same..the more fully supported/featured engine was the obvious choice. The fact that Dreamworld is being used in both Conan and our other "Secret World" project means that it will receive the future love and care it needs as AO grows older and the AO world continues to grow. This future consideration was impossible to ignore.

This has not been an easy decision. Letting go of Ogre after so long is painfull and I feel for all those who put so much work into trying to bring it to completion. A great many evenings and weekends went voluntarily into it with the hopes and dreams of a brighter future for AO. It was purely for the future of Anarchy Online that we had to steo back let go of Ogre...and move forward with Dreamworld. Today felt exactly like saying goodbye to an old friend...however the facts and plans for the future make it impossible for me to think of it as the wrong decision.
    Hah! Good riddance!

Can't wait to see this feature in AO as well.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    Hah! Good riddance!

Can't wait to see this feature in AO as well.
    lmfao.. nice one.. wtb a Mature rating on AO as well.. it is more suited for it than Hyboria anyway.. There should be half naked dancers in Rompa and those two chicks constantly fighting should also be at least topless for proper entertainment value!

I have anxiety

many other have anxiety too

AoC engine allows no lower system under gf8800

Quote Originally Posted by Brampfine View Post
    I have anxiety

many other have anxiety too

AoC engine allows no lower system under gf8800
    I have 8600 and it was working just fine even a year ago. So dont make assumptions please.

the new engine will come as soon as sl towerfields, le mines, character transfer (pronounced years ago by sil), the old new engine (soon since years...)... people thinking it will come 2009 ? priceless...

hoping char xfer or merge will come 2009 and that´s like 1/100+ of the work a new engine means...
    and i wouldn´t bet a penny they make it ^^

btw, if the old new engine ever run as they said it would, there would be a lot more spoilers/trailers whatever to keep all of us excited and into the game...
    there are people at fc that know how to cope with render engines you know ^^
    Last edited by nitr0; May 21st, 2009 at 14:54:51.
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

New big engine... prolly implies some new textures.. & makes me wonder

Will it be possible to order a DVD version of AO ?
    I dont feel like downloading 10Gb ^^

Edit : Will we get topless females like in AoC ?
    Last edited by krumpfwild; May 21st, 2009 at 15:22:49.

Quote Originally Posted by krumpfwild View Post
    New big engine... prolly implies some new textures.. & makes me wonder

Will it be possible to order a DVD version of AO ?
    I dont feel like downloading 10Gb ^^
    and they said a thousand times already new textures for everything are a "no no", as it would be way to much expense...
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

Quote Originally Posted by nitr0 View Post
    the new engine will come as soon as sl towerfields, le mines, character transfer (pronounced years ago by sil), the old new engine (soon since years...)... people thinking it will come 2009 ? priceless...
    incase you didnt notice, engies DID infact get thier mines, and character transfer is up and working,,, its just ONLY a transfer to test, not that it should matter, why would you want to transfer to anywhere other than test,, its a groovy server to live on, with much death and destruction on a daily basis.

However, in all fairness, its not like FC could ever stick to a projected release date of anytihng, so while Means may have the best intentions in the world, i doubt we will see the new engine much before summer of 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

Quote Originally Posted by Uaintseenme View Post
    incase you didnt notice, engies DID infact get thier mines, and character transfer is up and working,,, its just ONLY a transfer to test, not that it should matter, why would you want to transfer to anywhere other than test,, its a groovy server to live on, with much death and destruction on a daily basis.

However, in all fairness, its not like FC could ever stick to a projected release date of anytihng, so while Means may have the best intentions in the world, i doubt we will see the new engine much before summer of 2010.
    1.dnw is a groovy server of emptyness and i got a lot of toons there.
    2.how long did "the coming" soon mines take? na? ^^

2009 no new engine and i will bet on it
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

Quick thought i had about "copy toons from live to test"

im not sure of the exact process, but if you can copy them from live to test, why wouldnt someone be able to copy from say dnw to rk1? granted name may be taken, but what is done in the case of name problems regularly on test?

just curious
    Styles9999<220/21/50 MA-Main-
    Proud member of Obsidian Order!
    All accounts closed as of 04-28-10

what are the minimum requirements of AoC? I'm guessing they will be the same for this?
    Dirty Underpants of Bungerman
    Runspeed: - 1989
    Sense: -314
    Intelligence: -50

These befouled undergarments are painfully confining having previously belonged to a detail-oriented individual with much smaller genitals. Walking is difficult...running is impossible. Stains of a dubious nature adorn both the front and back of these "tighty-whities". Noxious fumes make your eyes burn and your nose run while wearing these. One can only imagine what you are doing wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by styles999 View Post
    Quick thought i had about "copy toons from live to test"

im not sure of the exact process, but if you can copy them from live to test, why wouldnt someone be able to copy from say dnw to rk1? granted name may be taken, but what is done in the case of name problems regularly on test?

just curious
    A number is added onto the end of the characters name, so for example if 'Ebondevil' exists on test and you copy him across then you get 'Ebondevil1', then 2, then 3 etc.

However, the Char copy to test is exactly that, a copy, for it to work on live it would need to be a transfer, which means the character would have to cease to exist on the previous server. that adds a new level to the complexity, and in addition to that I don't think many people would be happy with numbers tacked onto the end of their names if they didn't want them originally.

While it may be possibly to get those names changed at a later date, it would be a lot of work and the characters transferred would never be able to have their original names on the new server and may well lose them on their 'home' server.
    Last edited by Ebondevil; May 21st, 2009 at 17:51:27.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bungerman View Post
    what are the minimum requirements of AoC? I'm guessing they will be the same for this?
    XP 2 or Windows vista

1 gb of ram 6600 Geforce with 128 mem

3ghz p4 or better 32 gb of space

Honestly an 8800 GT is CHEAP

You can upgrade now and save yourselves some headaches and be ready for this.

Bear in mind that the original plan for converting to OGRE didn't involve any changes to models, textures, etc. - it was mostly just going to be enhancements to the skybox, shadows, lighting, and visual effects/particles.

Now, I don't know how much of this (if any) can be transferred to the Dreamworld engine, but if entirely new models and textures were needed then I imagine November would be a fair bit too early. Then again, I don't know a thing about game design and for all I know AO could easily be given an AoC-quality makeover in 6 months.

Assuming that we still aren't looking at any new models, however, that means that poly counts won't be increasing to anywhere near the level of AoC, so I wouldn't expect the system requirements to increase that much. Not that I'd mind it one bit. Just throwing it out there.
    Adam "Phantom" Preston - 220/26/53 Meta-Physicist

Serugiusu: By order of I, Bahirae Serugiusu. CEO of Omni-Tek's operations on Rubi-Ka. I hereby transfer you, Mr. Preston to Omni-Meta. Effective Immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    A number is added onto the end of the characters name, so for example if 'Ebondevil' exists on test and you copy him across then you get 'Ebondevil1', then 2, then 3 etc.

However, the Char copy to test is exactly that, a copy, for it to work on live it would need to be a transfer, which means the character would have to cease to exist on the previous server. that adds a new level to the complexity, and in addition to that I don't think many people would be happy with numbers tacked onto the end of their names if they didn't want them originally.

While it may be possibly to get those names changed at a later date, it would be a lot of work and the characters transferred would never be able to have their original names on the new server and may well lose them on their 'home' server.

HMM, thats interesting, ok good answer and ty
    Styles9999<220/21/50 MA-Main-
    Proud member of Obsidian Order!
    All accounts closed as of 04-28-10

God this is awesome.

18.1 is going to be the determining factor for me opening my accounts again. If it doesn't work out theres always 18.2

Man, first of all how weird, I have had Don't stop Believing in my head all day already...before I read this. So I finish work, click the link in Means post and had a freaky wtf moment heheh.

Anyway, mixed news really. I could care less what this game looks like, I will be playing it till they have to forcibly remove me. However the numbers in game are shrinking. Anyone who has anything to do with recruiting for any org will tell you the same.

The decision to switch is a sound decision, it actually promises to give AO a longer life...if it doesn't die before the new release. I am honestly imagining a scenario where me and 5 others are still playing when the new engine is released and we will be pouncing on the newcomers like Ben Gunn on Treasure Island, begging for cheese...

Have a great weekend Means and team, then come back and work like you never worked before

Good work on the spammers too btw!
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

I am so looking forward to the improvements, Thank you Funcom, I am a very patient person, I'll be here even if it takes another 8yrs. Whoot.

wow, that must have been a pretty tough decision to basically start all over on the graphics engine. I fully support the move though. Good luck with it, and hopefully it will come this side of Christmas! (tm)

Since I know I'm such a precious favorite of yours, I just want to say hats off to you Means. I have to say it, I think AO would have probably died by now if it were still in the hands of some of the previous GD's. I'm persistently impressed at what a good job you've been doing, both with communicating so transparently with the community, and with making the tough decisions like switching hosts/engines, and re-evaluating long standing problems and gripes.

Keep it up!
    Last edited by Sterva; May 21st, 2009 at 21:51:18.

Prouver que j'ai raison serait accorder que je puisse avoir tort.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast