Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - May 22nd, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    A 9800GT (G92B) has 128 stream processors vs 112 and 64 texture units vs 56 on a 8800GT and can be clocked higher. It's more equivalent of a 8800GTS 512. It's still stupid to pay 25% more for a 8 series.
    Depends on what you're upgrading. if you're upgrading from a 6600 or somesuch, then you're correct.

If you already have an 8800 and you're contemplating SLI then it's a different story, as you only need to buy half as many video cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    Depends on what you're upgrading. if you're upgrading from a 6600 or somesuch, then you're correct.

If you already have an 8800 and you're contemplating SLI then it's a different story, as you only need to buy half as many video cards.
    even SLI has it's downfalls.
    it's a 50/50 gamble, really.
    while SLI can help speed certain things up, using the SLI implementation can create alot of overhead and slow things down too.
    not to mention requiring a much higher watt PSU...
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    as much as i'd love to see more opengl, and thus, more cross-platform 3d acceleration stuff.. clearly dx has to be more friendly to develop for. else it would have been a fad, or had limited success. (remember Glide? )
    Oh yes it is easier to develop for on short crunch time budgets. However that does not and will not make it a superior api simply an easier api.. which to non quality driven companies is quite acceptable.. for those who care about stability, speed and distribution it is a sad and pathetic joke unless you explicitly plan to bring your game to the xbox platform. There literally is no other reason worth mentioning.

damn I'm reading all those post for one hour, i thought i would be the first but no you posted it yesterday... shame on you

anyway let me check something

http://video.google.fr/videosearch?q...fr&emb=0&aq=f#

OK I can wait until November 2009 but not summer 2010 or winter 2011 XD

good job for credit spammer btw, i wasn't ingame for a week so i didn't see anything but if you say you worked on them, that's find ^^

have a nice week-end and long life to ao, long enough to see the new engine
    Xeratrading 220/26 NM trader|||Methalix 220/21 Atrox Enforcer
    Methaball 176/4 Atrox MP|||Xeradoc 150/16 Solitus Doctor
    Methafire 150/20 Atrox Soldier|||Xeradvent 121/10 Solitus Adventurer
    Xeranuke 186/17 Solitus Nano-technician
    Xeracrat 200/21 Solitus Bureaucrat
    President of ~~ Athalantes ~~
    Squad Commander of The Glowing Nightfliers

Quote Originally Posted by Xeralix View Post
    http://video.google.fr/videosearch?q...fr&emb=0&aq=f#

OK I can wait until November 2009 but not summer 2010 or winter 2011 XD
    Qft, the engine have received enough time (but not the ressources, we know) for a full game. I may not be able to play AO this summer so I'm okay.

I am happy you're going to Dreamworld, making it easier to mobilize more ressources from the other FC teams. As I see, open source have its limits. With this choice, I also hope you and FC will have more ambitious plans with the game then just letting it run with it's (small) fanbase.

But we still fear you're going to Duke Nukem Forever this up, but I'm eager to see what Newland will look like in the new dreamworld.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Last week we removed 41 Billion illicitly gained credits from the AO economy
    Send me a PM about these 41 billions that you do not need anymore. I am sure that we will able to work something out.
    Astarra "Esthaer" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Nanomage Engineer 220/30/70
    Maryam "Mirienne" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Solitus Engineer 220/15/60
    Member of Infinity

Mavritanic:"start this topic is your selfowning"

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post

Yea, but SLI is a pain... I have it now, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but other enthusiasts who are willing to deal with the pain, and I most likely won't be getting it myself in future upgrades...
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

"It's not the AoC engine !"
    "Ok, it's the AoC engine."

Unbefridaylievable, as usual.
    Last edited by Marduk; May 22nd, 2009 at 10:59:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    "Ok, it's the AoC engine."

Unbefridaylievable, as usual.
    Simply put, whenever a AO director says something won't happen. It happens a few months later.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Who cares about the engine, do you guys know at last ONE person that left AO because he/she didnt like its look? I dont, while i do know many people that left because they found the game frustrating in many aspects (mainly to long boring mission grind, endless farm with horrible drop rates of items, plain stupid pvp rules that result in only few people doing it at all, sploits etc.).

Ive seen youtube movie with Means and he looked like kinda mature guy but reading those "wows" and "ahhhs" over new graphics while boring gameplay and broken mechanics dont change at all sounds like teenage incurable optymism in terms of pumping up more life to the game. Im affraid that we need a bit more that few graphic fireworks to fill heck spots with nubs. We may even need to remove heck spots at all and invent something more entertaining. Anyway, good luck.
    Last edited by Ciekafsky; May 22nd, 2009 at 12:09:18.
    Asasello, Sottcapo, Ciex, Rychu, Ciek, Zomowiec, Ciekafsky, Rysiek, Chinaski, Libertarian, Propertarian.

Plenty of people state that poor performance and outdated visuals were a large part of why they moved on to a different game that offered better performance and better visual quality.
    Looks isn't all that this is about, performance on more modern hardware is.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Ciekafsky View Post
    do you guys know at last ONE person that left AO because he/she didnt like its look? I dont
    True, but also totally besides the point. Of course the graphics won't make people leave. Once you've started playing you've accepted the graphics for what they are. Subpar graphics will however prevent a lot of people from starting to play in the first place...

I agree with Ciekafsky, looks isnt everything. its only about 10% of what i look at personally, id deff say the vast majority for me anyway 40-60% would be the depth and complexity to which a toon can be tweaked/made. the rest would be how problems are being handled, support, etc..etc..

and on another note, i run dual 280 nvidias (custom built box/ w/vista), the actual gpu/gpu's dont do all the work for a system for every game out there, with ao's current engine believe it or not your processors prob are doing more than you realize, but i do play alot of fps games also so :P
    Last edited by styles999; May 22nd, 2009 at 12:42:36.
    Styles9999<220/21/50 MA-Main-
    Proud member of Obsidian Order!
    All accounts closed as of 04-28-10

seriously, all people concerned about the system specs should really pack up a few bucks and upgrade or quit playing games. Everyone wants a higher player base, but we all know this is not possible with dated graphics. The new gamer generations want lots of eye candy and you can be sure they have the hardware to run it. Noone will ever buy a game that looks like 1998 and has a quad core processor and at least a 9 series geforce or 4xxx ati card, they need to feed those monsters with state of the art graphics.

Ofc nobody wants a game that runs like crap, but seriously there's a minimum level of hardware that a gamer must meet...ffs even winblows has system requirements higher than most peoples systems it seems.

If they decided to stick with aoc engine, that's fine, but if all they upgrade is the physics and lighting/shadows and the textures remain the same, we can safely say all this effort is in vain. All this engine upgrade issue has to be a vast and full improvement. Starting with the actual engine, to the meshes, polycount, textures, animations and last but not least, a very important component of the gameplay is SOUND.

Currently the immersion feeling that the game should have is totally missing.
    Let me give you an example: cool sounds

As you can observe, beyond the actual gameplay and graphics, the sound of weapons clashing with the armor, the toon being hit gasping, the sound effects of specials and the crisp sound of critical strikes gives you that edge that AO in it's current state will never deliver.

On another side note, what the game currently lacks is the amount of pvp action you can have. Let's be serious we only have BS, tara and towers to account for pvp....duels are utterly negligible. And to give yet another example of how pvp influences the fun and entertainment of a game, in the game of the above posted vid pvp is free for all...means you can bring a top lvl toon and 1 shot kill any lowbie you want (ofc there are some penalties for it if you murder them w/o them responding back). You can start up a quarrel with anyone that can lead to massive org vs org battles, that are not only entertaining but also spectacular. Arrows and fireballs flying all over the place, people laying dead, the ones still alive running for their lives etc... In AO i can almost fall asleep during some mass pvp. All you ever do is /assist and press 123. There's no rush, no adrenaline, no incent to pvp other than some measly shot at some loot or whatever.
    Last edited by drakonman; May 22nd, 2009 at 13:01:19.

"A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Most people don't know what to do with such an article, and PC manufacturers sure won't cater to such a market. In their world, a gaming PC must cost 2500$ at least, and will probably be a sub par machine. The actual good game performance will cost you 3500$ and come with a billion extras that you'll never need, because apparently hardcore gamers need such things. In reality you could run every game out there in max settings on a 1000$ PC including monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers.
    The actual content of the article is of course outdated, but the point is more relevant today than it ever was.
    The Red Brotherhood

"We chose to go with the Dreamworld Engine.

With time estimates being roughly the same..the more fully supported/featured engine was the obvious choice. The fact that Dreamworld is being used in both Conan and our other "Secret World" project means that it will receive the future love and care it needs as AO grows older and the AO world continues to grow. This future consideration was impossible to ignore."

I suggest you take this opportunity to re-write core elements of the game; create Anarchy Online 2. The rewards in the end game are imbalancing, the quests are divorced from a smooth story line... things have become hodge-podged. Let the present world continue as it is, let the people relish their OP phatz. Create a new one since - effectively - you're creating a new one.

will we get aoc boobs too in ao with dreamworld engine?;p ( should be the first model you send for rework to the artists!!!111 )

PS. personally im very happy to hear about us gettin the dreamworld engine in ao, i got a habit of trying out most of the new mmorpgs that i find interesting, and gotta say this: aoc has pretty amazing gfx, and it comes from some1 that played only the dx9 ver of it + i couldnt set the details to 100% w.o loosing too much on performance neither

heads will roll?;p

cant wait for it,,,,
    Last edited by Insane666; May 22nd, 2009 at 14:20:34.
    The most obvious MB on Rubi-Ka
    Insane666 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Soldier Insanity669 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage Doc Insanity699 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage MP
    Insanity696 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Bureaucrat Insane669 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Fixer Insanity666 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage NT

Insane699 ( 164/22 ) Solitus Trader Insane969 ( 150/20 ) S10 Trox Smurf

Omni-Tek
    Hells Hero for a decade, now a Punk
    spreading insanity all over rk, since 2005

Please note that the majority of what gives AoC it's amazing looks is the extremely high resolution textures used in it. AO will not look like that. What you can expect is something like running Doom in the Doomsday engine without installing any high res packs
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Please note that the majority of what gives AoC it's amazing looks is the extremely high resolution textures used in it. AO will not look like that. What you can expect is something like running Doom in the Doomsday engine without installing any high res packs
    it could be that FC have highres textures inhouse from old days.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast