Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - May 22nd, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    thats a whole.... 6?

someone had to say it...
    isn't that a significant percentage of of the current AO subscriber base?
    Someone had to say it..

Being aware of cross platform portability only work in Funcom's favor on this. Not everyone enjoys being forced in the MS environment. Right now, we can more-or-less play AO on Linux and on Mac OS/X. AoC, we cannot.
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    it could be that FC have highres textures inhouse from old days.

Actually AO's current textures are highrez
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    Actually, no, they're not.

The Shadow Land textures and foward are much higher resultion than the original RK textures. The SL release saw the original AO engine rev'd from 1.0 to 1.5. And that is how it was put out back in the day.

But just because you are in SL does not mean all textures are higher res. The player models and only weapons and nano effects and weapon effects and several of the mob textures from pre-SL didnot get any love then. So SL is a hodge podge of old and new textures. Frankly that can be a visible problem that is over looked by developers but an eye sore to the players. One crappy old texture on model with all the rest being new high res stuff looks like fine art with a section done in crayon.

I still am of the opinion that game play at level 1 to 209 will be the death of AO if not addressed prior to any graphics release. The last thing AO needs are reviews that read "Stunning graphics but broken game play....." when they re-release the game to say. If people think graphics are going to keep people consider this.

New players have this visually stunning world to run a round in. But they run around and find that the game is hard to play, a grind really and that drops are useless and random. With the current mechanics and general lack of older players utilizing the content the way it was meant to be used how will the true new players that are the salvation of the game ever stay.

This lastest round of balancing is going to be the real sign of games life. If they balance only the endgame (looks like it) then the game is doomed to die a slow death.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

IDK, I want to know if new players think the game is a grind. Remember a lot of the "GRIND" is old players who've done the leveling thing like 500 times.

*shrug*

I was trying to find Jayde's tool to extract some of the textures to show people but meh. Pretty much what Lheann said, all the textures post SL were much higher rez.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by blix01 View Post
    isn't that a significant percentage of of the current AO subscriber base?
    Someone had to say it..

Being aware of cross platform portability only work in Funcom's favor on this. Not everyone enjoys being forced in the MS environment. Right now, we can more-or-less play AO on Linux and on Mac OS/X. AoC, we cannot.
    Supporting multiple clients is expensive.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

They are higher rez (compared to old ones), not high rez.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by blix01 View Post
    . Not everyone enjoys being forced in the MS environment.

thats like complaining you're "forced" to use a hammer to drive a nail into the wall.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    thats like complaining you're "forced" to use a hammer to drive a nail into the wall.
    When you can instead use a nailgun to drive the nail into the wall at 3 times the speed, 3 times the accuracy, almost no risk of bending the nail, and no chance of hitting the hammer on your thumb.

So, yeah.

WTB client being usable with Linux - via Wine or a native client.

PS: Using a nailgun to drive nails into the wall, rather than a hammer that can hurt your thumb.. brings some altogether different accidents...
    Last edited by Lupusceleri; May 22nd, 2009 at 17:23:20.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupusceleri View Post
    When you can instead use a nailgun to drive the nail into the wall at 3 times the speed, 3 times the accuracy, almost no risk of bending the nail, and no chance of hitting the hammer on your thumb.

So, yeah.

PS: Using a nailgun to drive nails into the wall, rather than a hammer that can hurt your thumb.. brings some altogether different accidents...
    a nailgun is not always the right tool for driving nails.

linux is not the right tool for playing pc games.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by Lupusceleri View Post

So, yeah.

I think you mean: 3 times the development time, 3 times the testing time, 3 times the expenses and 3 users actually appreciating the effort.
    It's a no-win situation for FC.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Supporting multiple clients is expensive.
    I don't expect official support from Funcom. However if it's possible to not go out of your way to make it no longer work with wine/cedega, then I'd like to ask, as a Linux user that FC would do that. AO will work on Linux now, the fact that it does was a deciding factor on me trying the game out in the first place.

I'm not going to switch my entire operating system for one game. So it would be nice if the new engine worked in wine. If not, cest la vie I guess.
    Last edited by Hacre; May 22nd, 2009 at 17:33:51.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

You don't need to switch operating system at all, you just need to run it as well. Think of it as a multipurpose gaming console, that plays the game the way it was meant to be played, rather than some emulator hack that you don't really know will work properly for everything.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    I think you mean: 3 times the development time, 3 times the testing time, 3 times the expenses and 3 players (that would be about 30% of currently active subsribers) actually appreciating the effort.
    I fixed that for you.

Expensive? Yes. Time consuming? Yes. Can they afford ignoring other platoforms when playerbase has shrinked down to a fracture of what it once was? I doubt that.

Plus, the whole thing is already in Duke Nukem Forever category, what's another 2 years to develop linux client.

You don't need to switch operating system at all, you just need to run it as well. Think of it as a multipurpose gaming console, that plays the game the way it was meant to be played, rather than some emulator hack that you don't really know will work properly for everything.
    Ah, you mean we get Windows free now if we have active AO subscription running?

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    I fixed that for you.

Expensive? Yes. Time consuming? Yes. Can they afford ignoring other platoforms when playerbase has shrinked down to a fracture of what it once was? I doubt that.

Plus, the whole thing is already in Duke Nukem Forever category, what's another 2 years to develop linux client.
    It's an investment they'd never get the full value back on.
    The Linux user base is so small and insignificant that spending money on it is completely wasted.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Ah, you mean we get Windows free now if we have active AO subscription running?
    Here you go, windows free. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ And it runs AO very well.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Heh, I don't know that Windows will work properly for everything either

Yes I can set up a dual boot, I might even do that the day I can be bothered to restructure all of my storage to fit it in, just for one game.

Besides you seem to be being belligerent for the sake of it. I'm not demanding FC create a native Linux client, I fully appreciate that it wouldn't be economically viable for them to do so.

I'm hoping, however, that the new engine will function if not in Wine, at least in Cedega. It's hardly "some emulator hack" anyway, given that Wine Is Not an Emulator. It also works just fine with a great many apps, including modern games.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Here you go, windows free. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ And it runs AO very well.
    Only free until 2010. Engine is scheduled for somewhere around 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    The Linux user base is so small and insignificant that spending money on it is completely wasted.
    No one expects full-blown dedicated Linux client. There is no harm in making emulation through wine possible though.

I actually used to run a double-boot setup with Windows just for AO and Linux for everything else, but its ridicolous beyond insanity to have to each time relog and stop whatever work or activities you have started , just to play for 1-2 hours, not to mention setting up and mantain twice everything i need even just for gaming (and that would be at minimum IM, browser, IRC client, some form of media player with extensive library system and so on.)

In the end i just stick up with Windows, and Linux blows anyway.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast