Page 1 of 19 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - June 5th, 2009

Funcom employee Friday with Means - June 5th, 2009

I thought I would take a moment this week to briefly speak about recent changes to the Bureaucrat profession.

First off: Yes, the stun procs have been "nerfed".

They will now function as non-removable roots and their durations have been adjusted down to make sense with the fast pace of AO pvp...and return some of the challenge to AO pvm.

The power of the stuns in pvp was removing the fun for others and was handcuffing us in respect to being able to update/upgrade other areas that needed improvement in the Crat toolset. The change of the stuns to roots has allowed us to add more damage to Crat accessible perk lines and make pistols a more attractive choice for the profession. With respect to the change from stun to root...this is going to remain a powerfull tool when we follow this up in "Coming Soon" updates to all pets for all professions to make them more in line with the defensive abilities currently enjoyed by players. Not being able to run away from the pets of the near future is going to be very significant. Accompanying changes to the nano-damage boost procs will also help in making Crats remain a powerfull force in PVP...but require more reactive play from the Crat themself.

With respect to PVM...having a Crat in the team will still be a very significant advantage with the serious effect the profession's init debuffs have on monster damage. Chain-stunned boss monsters are not fun for anyone...

While I don't expect everyone to be happy with these changes I do hope for understanding in that it really had to be done for the good of the game. Thank-you to all the reasonable Bureacrats who helped us work through these issues. More significant pvp/pvm changes will be incoming in the near future that will hopefully get us to where AO really deserves to be.

We are currently working to get a new version on Test dimension this evening. This version will require you to re-duplicate your live clients to patch to Test as there were significant issues with the Database conversion (in rare cases) that we want to be certain of eliminating before taking this update to Live. Thank you for your understanding and help in getting this tested right.

I'll be in Stockholm for the weekend (at least when I am not in the car on the way there and back with my wife, 2 kids, and a large dog.) if I survive I will be back on Tuesday. If I'm not back on Tuesday...go on without me.

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

First!
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

2nd (nerf)

well, I fully understand the nerf in stun duration... even if the "fast pace of AO pvp" made me smile

not that sure about the root instead of stun though ...

WOOT ! I ve rooted the agent ... that can still shoot me ... and CH ... and UBT me ... well ...

and nice nerf to crat soloability in PvM ...
    Last edited by Gridpain; Jun 5th, 2009 at 16:23:09.
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Oboy! Unstunnable working at last!
    Last edited by Shaoshin; Jun 5th, 2009 at 16:41:53.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett

t00t

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    1st
    lier!
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

woot!!
    good news with crat stuff
    PvP n' Stuff (more soon™)

Proud President of Mercenaries

hopefully you will be looking into TL 5 pets and adjusting them too...
    Former Assistant Director of Pack of Noobs

Fake Friday with Means, and it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    I'll be in Stockholm for the weekend (at least when I am not in the car on the way there and back with my wife, 2 kids, and a large dog.) if I survive I will be back on Tuesday. If I'm not back on Tuesday...go on without me.

Have a great weekend everyone!
    One of these times when you drive threw Karlstad and don't have yer kids with you its your turn to visit me...
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

1st
    Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    considering how many ranged advies omni has, clan did quite a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciex View Post
    Ive rolled NT and rarely make it longer than 3-4s vs fixers.
    Talking whats OP and whats not by people who have never really played so told OP profession is just lame.

Can you at least tone UP the root proc durations?

8 second long ROOT is a joke.
    Why did you nerf existing ROOT proc from 15 seconds to 8 anyway?
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

atleast i can safely go on bs again now and not have to fun from every crat i see
    Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    considering how many ranged advies omni has, clan did quite a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciex View Post
    Ive rolled NT and rarely make it longer than 3-4s vs fixers.
    Talking whats OP and whats not by people who have never really played so told OP profession is just lame.

WTB more info on the pet changes :P (if it effects all classes)
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Ah finally those retarded stun procs gets the whack, stun procs in pvm were so lame :/

Quote Originally Posted by Graftmage View Post
    Can you at least tone UP the root proc durations?

8 second long ROOT is a joke.
    Why did you nerf existing ROOT proc from 15 seconds to 8 anyway?
    8 sec unremovable root that comes next to the other roots crats can cast is pretty heavy stuff.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Oh boy, mixed feelings on the crat change.

Part of me thinks 'Well, its about time'. Most of me is going 'Nooooooo! My stuns! Haaallp~! '

Perhaps one of each? The shortest one being a stun, the longest one a root. And both of them shortened. Like, 5 and 10 seconds, instead of 8 and 13 (or is it 15?).

A little stun that's going to prevent 2 hits at absolute best would still give crats that edge they've been enjoying for years - without it being the deciding factor of anything; be it PVP or PVM. And hell, not every crat is a 220 PVPer. Those stun procs are granted quite early in the game (Level 125). And make a huge difference from then on, not just on raid targets where a zerg of crats completely disable a target. (And on that note, the only place left in game for stun zerg will be Sector 42; after Pandemonium gets its Instanced portals, and that already comes with downsides).

A lot of these changes lately are aimed towards what the forum minority wants, and the forum minority are all crusty old vets who do very little but PVP each other, after the initial patch-grind to keep themselves current and competative. Changing absolutely everything for how it effects the 220 Battlestation and 220 Duels, is that really a fantastic idea?

If they were both level 10 procs to start with, fine, its only going to effect the end guys. But many crats have both their stuns while they're still power levelling in Elysium.
    Last edited by Dangerbot; Jun 5th, 2009 at 16:34:03.

Chaging to root procs is fine by me, but then again, why also nerf the durations? And we already have a root proc, AOE one for that matter. Does it seem right to you?

Also.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Accompanying changes to the nano-damage boost procs will also help in making Crats remain a powerfull force in PVP...but require more reactive play from the Crat themself.
    I don't think Crats will use those in PvP.
    Last edited by IHaveHugeNick; Jun 5th, 2009 at 16:33:16.

Now what are people going to say killed them when they get pwnt by a crat?
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Omg, pvm got un-nerfed - yay for challenge!

Now, if some bugged mobs just would get fixed (turret spawning several times at once in DB quest, for instance - was still bugged last time I was there) it'd be great.

P.S. Stun procs

Edit: "Not being able to run away from the pets of the near future", I hope this doesn't mean that there will be new (220) pets that are unkitable, rather than having this feature across level ranges.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Hi I just wanted to say

THANK
    YOU
    MEANS!!!!!!!

God damn I am so tired of stuns lasting so long, you could mate have the kid, raise the kid and build a friggin house, before it's over!
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Page 1 of 19 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast