Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - June 5th, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Shiekah View Post
    The metric system just makes a whole lot more sense. Everything is based on the number 10 and relate to specific points. Like 0 Degrees Celcius is the freezing point of water and 100 Degrees Celcius is the boiling point of water. I dont know what Farenheight is based on.
    That one does work in every day use, but it's kind of bad example.

Better one is centimeters, meters and kilometers. So no need to convert with anything else than 10s 100 cm = m and 1000 m = 1 km. Unlike inches, feets and miles...
    Even if those can be multitudes of 10 between the prefixes are same in everything.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

As I remember, the Fahrenheit system also has those points. 0 degrees Fahrenheit is the freezing point of alcohol I think and 100 degrees Fahrenheit is the normal body temperature. But the celsius system makes much more sense in this case.
    I thought there was a state wide ban on selling klingon weaponry to arachnids.
    This quote is from back on earth

temperature conversion

F = C * 9/5 + 32

C = (F -32) * 5/9

yes i'm bored too

Quote Originally Posted by Nosgoth View Post
    As I remember, the Fahrenheit system also has those points. 0 degrees Fahrenheit is the freezing point of alcohol I think and 100 degrees Fahrenheit is the normal body temperature. But the celsius system makes much more sense in this case.
    0 is mixture of ice, water and ammonium chloride(mmm. salmiak) which stabilise to certain temperature. 32F is ice melting point and 96 which is body temperature. Later they tweaked system a bit to get water boil exactly at 180F.

Wikipedia FTW...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.

anyway... we're in a sci-fi game
    we should all speak in light-years & parsecs !

I think you'll find that's actually wrong, it was based on human body temperature being 100 Degrees, but I seem to recall hearing that he used the body temperature of a dog to base that on, it was later found out that by his original scale human body temperature was 96 Degrees Fahrenheit, the scale was later changed because of more acurate calculations pertaining to the freezing and boiling points of water, which increased the average human body temperature to 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit.

Wiki: Fahrenheit
    Basically most ways you look at it, Fahrenheit suck.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Krumpfwild
    Yeah, that would make sense. ^^

Player1: Hey, would you move 0.0000000003 lightyears to the left? I can't click at the gms terminal when you stand on it.
    Player2: *moves 1 meter to the left* Better now?
    Player1: Yeah, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by krumpfwild View Post
    femto light year fly equals 9.461 m so we could use atto light years aly which would be 0.9461 cm. No problems at all. aly would be pretty handy unit?

Parsec wouldn't work so nice

Edit:
    Note hmm I post too much here. Too much on this page...
    Last edited by Ekarona; Jun 12th, 2009 at 19:43:00.

In Eve Online they use astronomical units (middle distance between earth centre and moon centre), much less than a lightyear and also pretty science fiction like.

In Eve Online they use astronomical units (middle distance between earth centre and moon centre), much less than a lightyear and also pretty science fiction like.
    It's pretty handy for inter solar system use as it is distance between earth and sun.

Any way using any of these in scifi is bit off as they all are derivated from earth, either rotation time or distance of sun.

This thread is too active, I keep seeing new posts in Community Corner and thinking there is a new FWM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rewo View Post
    This thread is too active, I keep seeing new posts in Community Corner and thinking there is a new FWM.
    I have to have something to do while hitting F5...

Anyway this thread is a "bit" derailed, isn't it?

Oh, yeah, got that wrong, it was the middle radius of the earth around the sun.

But Ekorena, I have to disagree, since breeds in AO and EVE are based on normal humans it does fit into these settings very well. But I can't imagine a Romulan or a Klingon using it. In Star Wars the Parsec was used, too. But there it didn't fit because they used it as a time scale (if I remember it right) and why the hell did they use this unit long ago in a far away galaxy? Parsec is also based on our solar system.
    Last edited by Nosgoth; Jun 12th, 2009 at 19:39:50.

So...umm...how's about a new FWM before it becomes Saturday? mmkaythx

Of course it already is Saturday...somewhere.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Oh, yeah, got that wrong, it was the middle radius of the earth around the sun.

But Ekorena, I have to disagree, since breeds in AO and EVE are based on normal humans it does fit into these settings very well. But I can't imagine a Romulan or a Klingon using it.
    Ok, I don't have knowledge of background of eve. But it's general note. Like in Star Wars it realy doesn't make sense. Okay the have tried to fit it, but other thing is that in no sense they have same idiotic 60-based system for angles...
    Last edited by Ekarona; Jun 12th, 2009 at 19:43:40.

The sun is a myth...

/discuss
    Neophyte/Sergeant/Tactician Escritores - Proud General of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 220/27/56 - Soldier - Equip - outdated...
    Poacher Overpoweredz - Proud UC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 169/9/X - ADV - Equip outdated
    Chiropractor/Tactician Kartoon - Proud SC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 150/12/12 - Doctor - TL5 PvP incoming. Under construction.
    Also a Freshman Crat, Freshman/Student/Squire/Captain Keep, Freshman/Phreaker/Scout Fix and a bunch of other tower punks and alts...
    Soldier Weaponrack: Anger of Xan, Dreadloch Modified Shark, Amplified KOC-Type 13, Lord Of Anger, AHF, SRPB, KOC-Type 12, KOEC-Type 3, 179-214-237 Coop, Supernova, Omni-Flamer.
    Gromulator: Go troll in your cavern , mr happy Bunny.
    Romaas about lvl 49 soldier BS twinks using CDR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    at 49 its totally awesome damage.

They have a choice: Either post a new FWM, or the F5 crowd will bring the forums server to its' knees.
    I am Dagget

Quote Originally Posted by Escritores View Post
    The sun is a myth...

/discuss
    No, it isn't. the sun is the most evil thing ever.

It is:
    - the number 1 reason for global warming
    - one of the biggest radiation sources affecting the earth
    - the keeper of the fusion reaction without sharing its knowledge

Facts about the sunlight:
    - 100% of the people who died came into contact with sunlight
    - 100% of the people who came into contact with sunlight will die
    - Hitler, Stalin, Saddam Hussein and all other dictators came into contact with sunlight
    /political correctnes off
    - Ego Shooter players start a riot when coming into contact with sunlight (Columbine, Erfurt, etc.)
    /political correctnes on
    - sunlight reflected by the moon can cause attacks by werewolfs

Why hasn't anyone done something against the sun yet?

/discuss

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast