Winetricks IEs4Linux install and other goodies.
Note: Sometimes it bugs out so you have to install this twice. For more info http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks. Enjoy it while it lasts I am sure the new engine is going to be a pita for us for awhile... AO is the only reason I keep a winbox still around when I can't patch.
1) Get Winetricks and install IE6
2) I snagged Xyphos script and just used my old AO install I have had for ages now in my home folder. This is what I use.
sh winetricks ie6
3) Settings - Rendering Device
# renice fix
echo renice needs sudo access.
sudo echo sudo unlocked
# end renice fix
wine Client.exe &> /dev/null && sudo renice -10 $!
If you are experiencing lower FPS try using DirectDraw HAL - Wine D3D7 HAL instead of DirectDraw HAL - Wine D3D7 T&L HAL. Also if you are forcing Antialiasing I have found turning that down gives great results.
4) Advanced speed using tmpfs. Also known as RamDisk. This will speed things up allot if you are getting datebase slowness. Please be careful doing this. More info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMPFS
5) Gnome movement bug fix. Character has a hard time moving because your keyboard has Key Repeat set to on. Before you run the game type this in terminal:
cd ~/Anarchy\ Online/cd_image/data
mv db db-backup
sudo mount -t tmpfs tmpfs ~/Anarchy\Online/cd_image/data/db
cp db-backup/* db
Turn off repeat keys. When done turn back on.
6) AODuplicator.exe issues. I wasn't able to get mine to copy correctly so I just ran over to my winbox and did it. These were the files that seemed to not copy over right. Just figured it may help posting them here.
# This file holds all the timelines available at this time.
# All lines starting with # is ignored by parser...
description = US Test Server
displayname = US Test Server
connect = cm.dt.funcom.com
ports = 7509
url = http://dimensions-qwest.anarchy-online.com/live-dimensions/launcher/index.html
version = 18.104.22.168
# This file conatins a list of loginhandlers that
# the Anarchy.exe will try to connect to.
# Do not edit this file unless explicitly explained
# to you by firstname.lastname@example.org.
# This file is for the Anarchy Online test-server.