Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 172

Thread: Completely unsupported AO-On-Linux howto

  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupusceleri View Post
    That was a bug in the xorg server, since Ubuntu locks up their packages every half-yearly release cycle it can take a while to let the bugfixes from each project trickle through.
    If you want a Debian based distribution but with the latest and greatest versions rather use Sidux, it's awesome (still not as great as Arch though )

    220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

    Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP


  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    If you want a Debian based distribution but with the latest and greatest versions rather use Sidux, it's awesome (still not as great as Arch though )
    Heh, too late, I've already converted him to gentoo ;D
    Lusthorne - 220 Keeper | Isellthings - 220 Trader - PvP-Config
    Soupknotsie - 220 Doctor | Blabberus - 220 Crat
    and many more

    Boost outdoor sk in Pen/Inf or adjust missions for mixed factions
    A different approach to GTH
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterva View Post
    If you felt that I was implying that you are an idiot, it's probably because you are in fact, an idiot.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by lusthorne View Post
    Heh, too late, I've already converted him to gentoo ;D
    Gentoo, so many fond memories of screaming at my computer...

    220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

    Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP


  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    Gentoo, so many fond memories of screaming at my computer...
    Word to yo momma. Killed the fakeRAID I had running (DIE, DMRAID, DIE!!!) and now Gentoo "just works". I did have my share of frustrations before giving up on fakeRAID though hehe.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic


    TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

    crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupusceleri View Post
    Word to yo momma. Killed the fakeRAID I had running (DIE, DMRAID, DIE!!!) and now Gentoo "just works". I did have my share of frustrations before giving up on fakeRAID though hehe.
    Certainly easier than getting Zonez working nicely on Nexenta Core, I gave up on fused OpenSolaris+Debian with containers for my dev spaces and went back to Arch hehe.

    220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

    Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP


  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by peterrjg View Post
    Hmm, I'll try that. In Windows it runs at 1920x1080 not a drama, and that's what I'm using in Ubuntu and it runs OK at that full screen. It's windowed mode where it doesn't work.
    running AO fullscreen inside windowed wine works for me... cant alt-tab to change songs in spotify though, so waiting for that Spokify kde-client :P
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Otinsainpas View Post
    running AO fullscreen inside windowed wine works for me... cant alt-tab to change songs in spotify though, so waiting for that Spokify kde-client :P
    You can run spotify outside of the wine desktop window. Uncheck the desktop emulation from winecfg and start Anarchy with:

    wine explorer.exe /desktop=AO,1280x960 Anarchy.exe

    The first parameter to the /desktop switch is a desktop identifier for launching multiple applications into the same virtual desktop. The second one is resolution; adjust it to your liking.

  8. #88

    Blah

    Well, I screwed something up. I decided to upgrade my version of Wine from 1.1.43 to the newest 1.2~rc1 for Ubuntu Lucid. I went from 25-30 FPS in Shadowlands to 5-10. I uninstalled wine and forced installation of 1.1.42 to no avail.

    I changed my startup script to allow wine errors to be shown in the console.
    This is spammed repeatedly (edited for size):
    Code:
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
    fixme:d3d7:IDirect3DImpl_7_EvictManagedTextures (0x141600): Stub!
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many declaration changes or converting dynamic buffer, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many declaration changes or converting dynamic buffer, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many declaration changes or converting dynamic buffer, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many declaration changes or converting dynamic buffer, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    FPS does increase a bit when forwarding this output to /dev/null, but is this normal?

    GeForce FX 5500 using 173.14.25 drivers
    Linux Lucid 2.6.32-22-generic

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Skafac View Post
    Well, I screwed something up. I decided to upgrade my version of Wine from 1.1.43 to the newest 1.2~rc1 for Ubuntu Lucid. I went from 25-30 FPS in Shadowlands to 5-10. I uninstalled wine and forced installation of 1.1.42 to no avail.

    I changed my startup script to allow wine errors to be shown in the console.
    This is spammed repeatedly (edited for size):
    Code:
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
    fixme:d3d7:IDirect3DImpl_7_EvictManagedTextures (0x141600): Stub!
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
    err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many declaration changes or converting dynamic buffer, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many declaration changes or converting dynamic buffer, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many declaration changes or converting dynamic buffer, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many declaration changes or converting dynamic buffer, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:buffer_PreLoad Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting
    FPS does increase a bit when forwarding this output to /dev/null, but is this normal?

    GeForce FX 5500 using 173.14.25 drivers
    Linux Lucid 2.6.32-22-generic
    Yes that kind of spam from wine actually is normal, and running with WINEDEBUG="-all" as opposed to just redirecting to /dev/null (eg: WINEDEBUG="-all" wine Anarchy.exe) will stop the majority of that spam as well as usually netting you some performance improvements above just redirecting as it will prevent the debug statements from being generated in the first place.

    In the case of the main posts guide (assuming you're following the ies4linux method which is unnecessary if you install ie6 via winetricks), you can simply add the WINEDEBUG="-all" parameter to the script before or right after the WINEPREFIX variable.

    ie;
    WINEDEBUG="-all" WINEPREFIX="/path/to/your/wine-ao" wine Anarchy.exe
    Lusthorne - 220 Keeper | Isellthings - 220 Trader - PvP-Config
    Soupknotsie - 220 Doctor | Blabberus - 220 Crat
    and many more

    Boost outdoor sk in Pen/Inf or adjust missions for mixed factions
    A different approach to GTH
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterva View Post
    If you felt that I was implying that you are an idiot, it's probably because you are in fact, an idiot.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamalou View Post
    As sidenote i can say 1.1.42 was still crashing on same infamous rooms from LE miss, dunno for .43 yet
    I hope I have fixed this issue. Getting it into wine git repository now, should be in 1.2 release.

  11. #91
    I just upgraded to wine-1.2-rc3, still crashing at the tongue room. I tried turning my back to the closed door leading to the room and sending my pet in with /pet hunt. As soon as the pet opened the door, Anarchy crashed.

    Any workarounds that don't involve Cedega or Microsoft? I've been deleting the missions and hoping not to see that room for a while.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Skafac View Post
    I just upgraded to wine-1.2-rc3, still crashing at the tongue room. I tried turning my back to the closed door leading to the room and sending my pet in with /pet hunt. As soon as the pet opened the door, Anarchy crashed.

    Any workarounds that don't involve Cedega or Microsoft? I've been deleting the missions and hoping not to see that room for a while.
    I can't think of any workaround that doesn't involve wine source code. The problem is that the "tongue" mesh contains 135933 indices, and wine assumes that meshes will have at most 65536 indices. The index list ends up overwriting some other data and crashing wine.

    I made a patch for it last night; it can be found at http://bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=29009. It's made on top of 1.2-rc4 release but will likely apply to slightly older source as well. I'm still in the process of getting it into the upstream git tree, but it has a good chance of getting into 1.2-rc5 and should be in 1.2 final at the latest.
    Last edited by Mikenche; Jun 20th, 2010 at 08:23:59.

  13. #93
    I downloaded the rc4 source and applied your patch. The tongue room is not a problem anymore. Thanks for your help.

  14. #94
    Heyas,

    Oo. Shiney. Something i tried to avoid like the devil avoids holy water: Building wine from scratch for Mac OSX. Anyone with experience?

    regards
    /Z
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    Heyas,

    Oo. Shiney. Something i tried to avoid like the devil avoids holy water: Building wine from scratch for Mac OSX. Anyone with experience?

    regards
    /Z
    I just did this. no major issues. went pretty smooth.
    ======================

    blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by blix01 View Post
    I just did this. no major issues. went pretty smooth.
    Whee, do you have a short description what you have done? Or a link about whats needed?

    thanks and regards
    /Z
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    Whee, do you have a short description what you have done? Or a link about whats needed?

    thanks and regards
    /Z
    well I basically followed this guide for installing wine:
    http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
    except for section 4, where you install software.

    I also used the ports system to install winetricks,
    then used winetricks to install IE6:
    winetricks ie6

    then I did winecfg, and set my graphics to a fixed size (Graphics tab, then put a check in "Emulate a virtual desktop"

    Then I copied my existing Funcom directory into my ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files directory
    that way I didn't have to do a reinstall.

    then I used the AppleScript editor and created a launch script similar to the example shell script in this thread. Consists of one line:

    do shell script "export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine && cd $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program\\ Files/Funcom/Anarchy\\ Online && /opt/local/bin/wine Anarchy.exe"

    Save the script as an "Application" to your desktop, then you can just doubleclick it to launch AO.

    let me know if you need any more info.
    ======================

    blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

  18. #98
    The patch got into wine git repository today. Didn't quite make it to 1.2-rc5, but should be in 1.2-rc6 which will hopefully be out soon.

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikenche View Post
    The patch got into wine git repository today. Didn't quite make it to 1.2-rc5, but should be in 1.2-rc6 which will hopefully be out soon.
    RC6 is out. looks like the patch made it:

    "21233 Anarchy Online crashes in a certain room in every Alien Mission (missions cannot be done)"
    ======================

    blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

  20. #100
    Hmm. Tried this, and I manage to login. But when I've logged in, anarchy opens with a black screen, and crashes after a while. Any suggestions?

    (It's installed on a netbook, and it's not that important for me to run it. Just testing it :P)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •